• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Tomorrow

Mon 25 SepTONGA SCHOOLBOYS V AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS BARBARIANS
Kick off 11:00am, Knox Grammar School, Wahroonga (Sydney)

1695556796528.png

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
GPS is the saviour as well as being detrimental to Rugby in Australia.

Having Rugby still being played and at a high level in GPS/Private schools gives the sport a profile amongst "wealthy" citizens which can lead to sponsorship etc. Rugby is known as the more "well-to-do" sport and players are attracted to these schools ( education as well as facilities,coaches ) to enhance their chances of getting into higher level rep teams. This can concentrate the talent into these schools.

This "concentration of talent" is to the detriment of the sport in general. The oldies know, Rugby used to be played at public schools ( think of the Ella brothers etc ) up till fairly recently however the costs involved, lack of support from the top and the eniticement of players to GPS/Private schools slowly led to the public schools leaning towards League. Now it's AFL.

The ARU needs to cast a wider net to attract and keep talented players. Without the GPS, Rugby would die very quickly. However, the concentration of players in the GPS restricts the growth of the sport therefore it may eventually die a slow death.

Club Rugby is very important and needs to be promoted andheavily funded to attract the public schools kids as well as the private school kids. This will lead to a broader player base and hopefully more talented kids playing and staying in the sport
After last nights result I think unfortunately the game has now officially in decline. Its been coming for ++25 years. Unfortunately the fish rots form the head, the ARU board needs to be sacked. There were players last night who lacked the basics catch, pass and tackle and just compete!, the Pathways systems just arent working in Australia this needs to be overhauled. We live in a counrtry of only 25Million yet have 4 footy codes its so competitive for talent thats why the pathways and grass roots needs a complete overhaul.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
... Where are all the NSW II's boys... I see more QLD II's boys... And they got walloped... Honestly the selectors are blatantly useless and directly contributing to the loss of some of our most talented.

What's NSWBB ?

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
... Where are all the NSW II's boys... I see more QLD II's boys... And they got walloped... Honestly the selectors are blatantly useless and directly contributing to the loss of some of our most talented.

What's NSWBB ?
RoD

NSW 1 and 2 are from the Gen Blue academy, same for QLD 1 and 2 who are from the Reds academy.

Those boys are not chosen in these Aust Barbs or Aust Schoolboys squads

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)

What's NSWBB ?
I think it's the NSW Barbarian team.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)

What's NSWBB ?
I think you might be referring to the NSW Gen Blue Academy? which is a complete different set of cohort of kids. Its damn confusing to be honest.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I didn't think club players were eligible for Baa Baas ... only school players. That was meant to be the distinction between the school's rep teams and the academy ones. It is getting more and more mind-bending.

Cockatoo Run

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ahh pathways ... Met a bloke from the 'Gong and got a good take on why pathways are broken, and why the GPS is not the problem. He said a few years back there was a massive Illawarra junior team that made the semi-finals at state juniors and won consecutive Country junior titles. Only a few years later and there are only 2 kids from that team who play rugby now. Both went to GPS schools and one is Nathaniel Titii (Kings and Aust Schools & U18), and the other is Eamon Doyle (Joeys and Waratahs U18) and they weren't even the stars of that Illawarra junior team back then. There is no Illawarra rugby comps or schools comp for a kid aged 13-18 anymore, so the rest of the kids play league as there is no other viable option. Same with the Illawarra age division above them, but at least Ollie Mccrea (Scots) and Jaydon Viliamu (Newington) stayed the course - again via GPS schools. Similar stories in other regions and parts of the country I'm sure. The GPS/CAS schools can't do all the work on country talent retention on their own.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Ahh pathways ... Met a bloke from the 'Gong and got a good take on why pathways are broken, and why the GPS is not the problem. He said a few years back there was a massive Illawarra junior team that made the semi-finals at state juniors and won consecutive Country junior titles. Only a few years later and there are only 2 kids from that team who play rugby now. Both went to GPS schools and one is Nathaniel Titii (Kings and Aust Schools & U18), and the other is Eamon Doyle (Joeys and Waratahs U18) and they weren't even the stars of that Illawarra junior team back then. There is no Illawarra rugby comps or schools comp for a kid aged 13-18 anymore, so the rest of the kids play league as there is no other viable option. Same with the Illawarra age division above them, but at least Ollie Mccrea (Scots) and Jaydon Viliamu (Newington) stayed the course - again via GPS schools. Similar stories in other regions and parts of the country I'm sure. The GPS/CAS schools can't do all the work on country talent retention on their own.
Not just the country, the club I played for as a kid doesn’t exist anymore … rugby posts replaced with football goals .. not a uncommon story

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Hi All

Never said GPS was BAD for Aus Rugby but it can't be the saviour of it either. GPS does a great job but very limiting.
If you heard Mr Tim Horan speak after the game today, he said Rugby had to "broaden it's player base and retain players in yr10/11/12, club etc ".
If you are only relying on the GPS to do the heavy lifting in the junior years and ignoring the possible and potential athletes in public schools, then you have already given up on many players.
ARU investment needs to make the game easily accesible, financially viable and exciting for players 10 and above at all schools as well as clubs.
Skills should be taught from 10 and over not wait till they are 18. Too late.

NZ decided that their main priority was the All Blacks winning. This, they thought, would lead to a "follow me" system and get NZ back on top ( not that they had to travel far). This is ok but even they are starting to suffer a bit from the lack of junior players as NRL is gaining popularity.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hi All its

Never said GPS was BAD for Aus Rugby but it can't be the saviour of it either. GPS does a great job but very limiting.
If you heard Mr Tim Horan speak after the game today, he said Rugby had to "broaden it's player base and retain players in yr10/11/12, club etc ".
If you are only relying on the GPS to do the heavy lifting in the junior years and ignoring the possible and potential athletes in public schools, then you have already given up on many players.
ARU investment needs to make the game easily accesible, financially viable and exciting for players 10 and above at all schools as well as clubs.
Skills should be taught from 10 and over not wait till they are 18. Too late.

NZ decided that their main priority was the All Blacks winning. This, they thought, would lead to a "follow me" system and get NZ back on top ( not that they had to travel far). This is ok but even they are starting to suffer a bit from the lack of junior players as NRL is gaining popularity.
Completely agree our local club wanted $400 per kid to register! imagine if you had 4 or more kids. Completely agree with Timmy.

Few Ideas:
- We have to invigorate The Waratah Shield comp.
- State schools including "boys High" have a statewide Under 15 and Under 16 and opens Rugby competition every Friday afternoon. Can be broken down into zones. Three games every Friday afternoon.
- Create a fighting fund keep the best Under 15/16 by signing them on Dev Contracts so the kids don't go to NRL clubs and play Harold Matts etc.
- Boost the Shute Shield make it a center piece for grass roots rugby.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Completely agree our local club wanted $400 per kid to register! imagine if you had 4 or more kids. Completely agree with Timmy.

Few Ideas:
- We have to invigorate The Waratah Shield comp.
- State schools including "boys High" have a statewide Under 15 and Under 16 and opens Rugby competition every Friday afternoon. Can be broken down into zones. Three games every Friday afternoon.
- Create a fighting fund keep the best Under 15/16 by signing them on Dev Contracts so the kids don't go to NRL clubs and play Harold Matts etc.
- Boost the Shute Shield make it a center piece for grass roots rugby.
All of these ideas are good. The big issue though is that our players, boys and men don’t play enough high performance games under pressure. Even a super player will only play around 20 games a year, his equivalent T14 counter is playing more like 30. At schools level the comparison is far worse. Good players need to prescribe performing under pressure to get better.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Game_Day_Ritual

Great ideas. State school comp would be good start. Advertise it and get coaches into the schools.
A fighting fund is essential. Where does the rego fees $400 go ? If you put aside $50 from every rego and put it towards signing best 15/16 yr old players, then rugby people can see where the money is going. Good for the game.
Def Shute Shield promotion. It's not too bad at the moment but can be better.
Send some of the best junior 18s overseas on player experince "scholarships" for 1-2 years.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)
I didn't think club players were eligible for Baa Baas ... only school players. That was meant to be the distinction between the school's rep teams and the academy ones. It is getting more and more mind-bending.
That’s why it’s the barbarians rather than Schools. Not that hard to work out

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
That’s why it’s the barbarians rather than Schools. Not that hard to work out
Last year the schools team was called the Barbarians … And this year the schools and U18 team was called schools. like all pathways in Australian rugby it is confusing and convoluted. BTW we lost a test in France early this morning. I wonder why?