• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Starts tomorrow (Saturday)

The next generation of Australian rugby stars will take centre stage as the revamped Super Rugby Men’s U16 and U19 competitions kick off on Saturday 30 September.

Teams from the ACT Brumbies, NSW Waratahs, QLD Reds, Melbourne Rebels and Western Force will go head-to-head across a five-week regular season, with every game broadcast live and on-demand on Stan Sport.

The top two sides in each competition will face off in their respective Grand Finals on Sunday 5 November.

The Super Rugby U16s and U19s serve an important role in rugby's development pathway, giving more than 300 of Australia's most talented juniors a valuable insight into the professional game.

The competitions also present an opportunity for players to press their claims for national selection, with the Junior Wallabies shaping up for another World Rugby U20 Championship campaign in 2024.

"The Super Rugby U16s and U19s will showcase our next generation of Super Rugby Pacific and Wallabies stars while delivering them the benefits of a week in, week out, high-performance rugby environment," Rugby Australia National Pathways Manager Nic Henderson said.

"The excitement that surrounded the inaugural tournaments last year has only been enhanced through our closer alignment with the Super Rugby brand in 2023.

"These tournaments are the pinnacle of age group rugby in Australia and a vital stepping stone for players on the path to the professional game.

"With all matches being broadcast live on Stan Sport, it's fantastic to give every rugby fan across the country the opportunity to be part of that journey."

SUPER RUGBY U16s AND U19s SCHEDULE​

*all times local

ROUND 1​

30 September

Brumbies v Waratahs, Viking Park ACT, U16s 12.05pm, U19s 1.45pm

Force v Rebels, Claremont FC WA, U16s 11.40am, U19s 1.20pm

Chugby Chris

Bob McCowan (2)
would i be wrong to say that scots are missing out on the young gun Will Cannavo (Y12 in 2024) ?
Contracted within the Newcastle Knights system and about to be in contention for a NSW 7s Team this coming weekend?
hes a versatile player with experience in the centres while being played at 6 for the 3rd and 2nd XV in 2023.
thoughts?

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)

SUPER RUGBY U16s AND U19s SCHEDULE​

ROUND 2​

Sat 7 October

Rebels v Waratahs, Box Hill Rugby Club VIC, U16s 11.05am, U19s 12.45pm

Sun 8 October

Reds v Force, Ballymore QLD, U16s 12.05pm, U19s 1.45pm

Brumbies BYE

runningrugbyrules

Chris McKivat (8)
They 100% have fronted the full cost of Schooling. I can’t say if it’s every case but it has happened quite a bit. Some schools will also like the link.

I wouldn’t worry about cost. If they put 4 boys through various schools paying 250k they don’t care. They’ve taken that each night from pokies and gambling revenue.

If they are to do it, they are for players they want in the Top 30 squad immediately post school where the minimum wage is 110k and going to 130k in the next CBA.
Correct, I’ve worked at 2 NRL clubs and yes NRL clubs pay school fees

Shuteshieldfan

Frank Nicholson (4)
Lots of people bring up Le Maitre in this forum.

How does he compare to Durbridge, the Kings out and out openside that got selected over him at every level (GPS, GEN BLUE and AUS) and who is a terrific on baller. I have seen Durbridge play a few times but not Le Maitre so would love to be more informed.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)
I’m watching the Waratahs v Rebels U16 game. The Waratahs are totally dominant but one strikes me as odd. They keep rotating the front rowers after short stints. Back rowers to some extent as well. The same thing happened last week v the Brumbies. This seems really dumb, how do you develop elite front rowers if they aren’t conditioned to play 60 plus minutes. If they can’t do it and perform at 16 they never will be able to. Another example of dumb pathways develop in Australia.

Masked Crusader

Ward Prentice (10)

How does he compare to Durbridge, the Kings out and out openside that got selected over him at every level (GPS, GEN BLUE and AUS) and who is a terrific on baller. I have seen Durbridge play a few times but not Le Maitre so would love to be more informed.
Durbridge is a better openside. Le Maître is an athlete though, seems like a competitive and tough unit. I actually think he should try to develop as a 2 or a 9. Sounds odd I know but he could be seriously good in either. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up in the NRL if he persists as a back rower as he probably isn’t tall enough to be a line out option and not big enough to be a ball runner.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)

Le Maitre is a year younger but with the same level of talent. Let's hope Rugby Australia snap him and James Warner up before the NRL do.

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
Le Maitre is a year younger but with the same level of talent. Let's hope Rugby Australia snap him and James Warner up before the NRL do.
Different players. I'd say Durbridge smarter and Le Maitre more physical. Both typical of the Aussie 7 but unfortunately I'd argue too small for today's game at the top level (professional).
Given ARU board generally has 50% Shore old boys that's his saving grace, as someone mentioned earlier he's a great player but depending on his final body shape could finish at 2, 9 or even 12.
I know the European unions place some emphasis on somatotyping and genetics (Eastern bloc 1960's anyone) as they develop players - particularly in the 16-20 age bracket. I discussed this with a couple of powers that be here and got a blank stare. Here we rely on coaching talent to identify the best role for a player which is very hit and miss.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I’m watching the Waratahs v Rebels U16 game. The Waratahs are totally dominant but one strikes me as odd. They keep rotating the front rowers after short stints. Back rowers to some extent as well. The same thing happened last week v the Brumbies. This seems really dumb, how do you develop elite front rowers if they aren’t conditioned to play 60 plus minutes. If they can’t do it and perform at 16 they never will be able to. Another example of dumb pathways develop in Australia.
I think it’s still about opportunity in these games. They are winning them comfortably.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see a longer stint in the game v the Reds.

I agree with your point though.

Mule

Peter Burge (5)
Different players. I'd say Durbridge smarter and Le Maitre more physical. Both typical of the Aussie 7 but unfortunately I'd argue too small for today's game at the top level (professional).
Given ARU board generally has 50% Shore old boys that's his saving grace, as someone mentioned earlier he's a great player but depending on his final body shape could finish at 2, 9 or even 12.
I know the European unions place some emphasis on somatotyping and genetics (Eastern bloc 1960's anyone) as they develop players - particularly in the 16-20 age bracket. I discussed this with a couple of powers that be here and got a blank stare. Here we rely on coaching talent to identify the best role for a player which is very hit and miss.
Both very good but Different styles of player from what I've seen: I feel Durbs is more like Pocock - physically very stocky and hits breakdowns to great effect. LeM is more like Hooper - lighter, and plays a little wider to great effect

046ballrunner

Peter Burge (5)
captain for every 1 and 2 gps xv next year

shore: 1s C = Marshall VC = Warner. 2s C = Segart VC = Henry Conick
Joeys 1s C = Greer VC = Jonty F 2s C = Bowden VC = Gus Cornish
view 1s C = Hartman VC = Carter 2s C = Bousie VC = Conna
newington 1s C = Cleverley Vc = Humphries 2s C = Warner VC = Bordina
Scots 1s C = Brial VC = Patterson 2s C = Hughes VC = Laverty
Kings 1s C = Baker VC = Sawyer 2s C = Younes VC = Matt smith