• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Chugby Chris

Bob McCowan (2)
are there any GPS Boys apart of the Pasifika Youth Rugby Cup happening next weekend?
i know that Shane Knight from Joeys playing 10 and is with the u18 Barbarians side and that Declan Minto, along side Nick Peters and Raff Ryan are representing the cook islands, with nick playing fullback and raff at 9?
anyone i am missing?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I like players in their positions. Brial 8 in 1sts most likely and Justice in 2nds if you picked a team right now. Both get a good chance at at a NSW side.

We’ll have a bolter or perceived bolter like Cleverley in the season just gone.

the_merchant

Frank Row (1)
Hi all, I have a few friends with sons at newington, it appears they have changed the culture a lot to get them out of the “hole” they’re currently stuck in. The 16s and opens have already started per season training I think it’s 2 or 3 morning sessions a week and that continues throughout the holidays. The school certainly have a lot of talent but need to find a way to transform thay talent into to a successful rugby team. I’m expecting a brighter future for newington rugby. I think one of the problem lies with the headmaster who is more academic. Another issue newington faces is that during winter season it offers the most sports to choose from so a lot of numbers gets taken away from rugby. Newington has the biggest football program in the gps and that takes a lot of numbers from rugby. Newington is also very strong at AFL as they recently won the comp for the best school in NSW.
Hopefully the oldest rugby school in Australia can get out of its hole soon.

the_merchant

Frank Row (1)
are there any GPS Boys apart of the Pasifika Youth Rugby Cup happening next weekend?
i know that Shane Knight from Joeys playing 10 and is with the u18 Barbarians side and that Declan Minto, along side Nick Peters and Raff Ryan are representing the cook islands, with nick playing fullback and raff at 9?
anyone i am missing?
Newington have quite a few playing pasifika cup from under 16s
Tonga: Ofa Latu
Fiji: Jarryd King, Iliyaz Villiamu
Samoa: Isaiah Sheck
Barbarians: Alex Phemister

uncle ruckus

Frank Row (1)
anyone i am missing?
I know that Felix Harvison (shore) is playing in u18 barbarians and Leo Quade (Kings) playing in the NSW Tongan side

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Hi all, I have a few friends with sons at newington, it appears they have changed the culture a lot to get them out of the “hole” they’re currently stuck in. The 16s and opens have already started per season training I think it’s 2 or 3 morning sessions a week and that continues throughout the holidays. The school certainly have a lot of talent but need to find a way to transform thay talent into to a successful rugby team. I’m expecting a brighter future for newington rugby. I think one of the problem lies with the headmaster who is more academic. Another issue newington faces is that during winter season it offers the most sports to choose from so a lot of numbers gets taken away from rugby. Newington has the biggest football program in the gps and that takes a lot of numbers from rugby. Newington is also very strong at AFL as they recently won the comp for the best school in NSW.
Hopefully the oldest rugby school in Australia can get out of its hole soon.
I hope they improve. Doesn’t have take much as they were right in games last year but seem to fall apart for periods or struggle with the teams that could stick to a plan/they play without one it seems. Chuck it to the ‘gun’ and hope he does something.

Soccer is a big pull there but are they much different to View who won the Aussie Rules the year before and still perform at Rugby and have a lot of Soccer?

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
anyone i am missing?
Nick Peters? Isn’t he a soccer player? Minto? Is he even running yet?

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
GPS 16A predictions?
Few names that come to mind over only watching a few u15 GPS games,
-Nick Wendt (Shore)
-Jarryd King (Newington)
-Talen Risati (Kings)
-Oliver Smith (Kings)
-Isaac Perkins (Riverview)
-Joseph Lane (Joeys)
-Duke Milward (Kings)
-Henri Dempsey (Riverview, played GPS 16A in 2023)
-Hugh Gacitua (Riverview)
-Byrn Whittaker (Joeys)
-Connor Durbridge (Kings)
-Harry Whitaker (Newington)
-Will Taylor (Kings)
- Henry Gardiner (Joeys)
-Anwar El-Kurdi (Kings)
-Isaiah Sheck (Newington)
-Hamish Bull (Scots)
-Josh Harrold (Joeys)
Toby Davies (Kings)
-Xavier Ryan (Joeys)
-Ofa Latu (Newington)
-Henry Troy (Joeys)
-Harry Adamo (Joeys)
-Eduardo Garcia-Wood (Joeys)
-Solomone Penitani (Newington)
-Finn Hannon (Joeys)
-Archie Hartman (Riverview)
-Issac Street (Newington)
-Keone Anitelea-Tsiossis (Newington, played GPS 16Bs in 2023)
-Lawson Armstrong (Shore)

I understand that this is more than just the A team, however could fit in within the A and B team. This is all of the Gen Blue u15 players who were in the GPS competition.

-Professor

-Nick Wendt (Shore)
-Jarryd King (Newington)
-Talen Risati (Kings)
-Oliver Smith (Kings)
-Joseph Lane (Joeys)
-Duke Milward (Kings)
-Byrn Whittaker (Joeys)
-Will Taylor (Kings)
- Henry Gardiner (Joeys)
-Anwar El-Kurdi (Kings)
-Hamish Bull (Scots)
-Josh Harrold (Joeys)
Toby Davies (Kings)
-Xavier Ryan (Joeys)
-Ofa Latu (Newington)
-Henry Troy (Joeys)
-Harry Adamo (Joeys)
-Finn Hannon (Joeys)

I understand that this is more than just the A team, however could fit in within the A and B team. This is all of the Gen Blue u15 players who were in the GPS competition.

-Professor
I would not pay much attention to Gen Blue 15s old boy. In my direct experience it is of absolutely no relevance four or five years down the track, and in most cases just a situation of which parents urge and cajole the right people. I am quite sure you will find that of the players you have mentioned above maybe, maybe, one or two will still be in the mix when they are 19/20.
Fun conversations for hugely invested parents though - I get that.

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
I would not pay much attention to Gen Blue 15s old boy. In my direct experience it is of absolutely no relevance four or five years down the track, and in most cases just a situation of which parents urge and cajole the right people. I am quite sure you will find that of the players you have mentioned above maybe, maybe, one or two will still be in the mix when they are 19/20.
Fun conversations for hugely invested parents though - I get that.
Totally agree, kids grow, fall off, and others do take over, however we arn't looking for 5 years time. Just for next year.
-Professor

Totally agree, kids grow, fall off, and others do take over, however we arn't looking for 5 years time. Just for next year.
-Professor
I understand- I am not taking the piss out of the kids, at all. I just wonder what the point of all this early identification of talent actually achieve. I wont name names but one particularly prominent 15 year old from five years ago cannot even make the Under 20s side now. I cannot help but think it is a combination of hating footy because he is sick of it, and being told he was a gun and therefore believing the hype created by those around him.
Have a look at Justin Harrison and John Langford. Neither of them played Rugby in High School. What the Wallabies would not give for those two in the second row right now!!

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Problem with New is :
1) Fitness is not up to 1st XV level ( tend to tire out back end of games )
2) Put players out of position for their skill set. Injuries aside ( other schools have more depth ), playing Rodwell at 15 to start before shifting him to 10 which is better.
3) Lack of a clear and simple playing style and the skills to execute ie set piece scrums/line outs.
4) More often than not, when the going gets tough, rely on individuals rather than team
Get these right and New have the talent to do better.

Professor62

Ted Fahey (11)
I understand- I am not taking the piss out of the kids, at all. I just wonder what the point of all this early identification of talent actually achieve. I wont name names but one particularly prominent 15 year old from five years ago cannot even make the Under 20s side now. I cannot help but think it is a combination of hating footy because he is sick of it, and being told he was a gun and therefore believing the hype created by those around him.
Have a look at Justin Harrison and John Langford. Neither of them played Rugby in High School. What the Wallabies would not give for those two in the second row right now!!
Experience, knowledge, being able to play at a higher level, developing skills, improving yourself and leadership abilities. I believe that it is a great opportunity to express your talent whilst you still have it. Just another development system to keep those players in the game as well.
-Professor

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
The Tahs brains trust would tell you the main purpose of talent ID is to stop the drain to the NRL by providing a viable pathway. Although I agree with you, it is kind of pointless.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
-Nick Wendt (Shore)
-Jarryd King (Newington)
-Talen Risati (Kings)
-Oliver Smith (Kings)
-Joseph Lane (Joeys)
-Duke Milward (Kings)
-Byrn Whittaker (Joeys)
-Will Taylor (Kings)
- Henry Gardiner (Joeys)
-Anwar El-Kurdi (Kings)
-Hamish Bull (Scots)
-Josh Harrold (Joeys)
Toby Davies (Kings)
-Xavier Ryan (Joeys)
-Ofa Latu (Newington)
-Henry Troy (Joeys)
-Harry Adamo (Joeys)
-Finn Hannon (Joeys)

-Professor
You can also add Iliyaz Viliamu (New), Ashton Large (Scots) and Justice Taumoepeau (joeys) who will be the first one picked.

Last edited:

runningrugbyrules

Chris McKivat (8)
I can't wait for footy season to start on the other side of summer..... Shore are #1 in the high expectations category, seems like a few supporters might have their spirits crushed before the June long-weekend. Time will tell.

Scots & Joeys are playing for the premiership, the rest are playing for third place and making up the numbers

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Thought I'd give a little early preseason prediction heading into the 2024 season before logging off for Christmas. Keen to see how right this will be and is based across all AAGPS, CAS, and ISA respective competitions

My top 10 1st XV's heading into next season:
1. Scots - Abundance of star players in years 11 and 12 next year
2. Joeys - Extremely strong and I believe undefeated year 11 cohort next year? The year 12 also has some strong players.
3. Knox - Will top CAS and has a good group of returning players next year.
4. Shore - Large part of their 2023 squad is returning and has shown glimpses of the standard they can play too, look no further than their Riverview game this year.
5. Auggies - Great 9 and 10 punch combination returning, has the potential to knock off teams above them as well.
6. Waverley - Some stars returning in Poitaha and Aboud, will lose a large part of their backline and forward pack but will nevertheless be contending Knox keenly.
7. Riverview - The likes of Grover and Hartman will certainly assist this team in the coming year, forwards need cohesion for momentum for them to create any damage.
8. Barker - The lads in red will be disappointed with their season last year finishing 4th, will need to step it up and take on Knox and Waverley from the get-go to have a shot at the premiership
9. Oakhill - A good amount of year 12's returning, maybe the additions of their strong 15s group will provide some punch and allow them to knock off some heavyweights in the trials before having a shot at ISA.
10. Newington - They just seem to not get it right every year, they need to review their preseason and training and make changes, if so, they maybe could creep up as far as the top 5 provided the right coaching, they have the talent.