• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
yep having gone to Barker in the 90s the depth has def fallen away - though in some years the 16s would have 2 (very average) teams. I think a big way they fill the gap now is that I understand boarding starts in year 10 and they subsidise boarding fees with partial scollies. Saying that they do that with Basketball - girls rugby and a lot of other sports. Heard it first hand. Just the way it is these days.
In the 90s I dont recall any schollies. could be wrong though.
Shore seems to do that as well - rely on new boarders who surprisingly are very good at rugby!
Hmmm, not sure you know much at all about rugby at Barker in the 90’s or now….

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
In March this year Rugby Australia committed to participate in a two-year global law trial, facilitated by World Rugby, which will result in the legal tackle height being reduced from below the line of the shoulders to the sternum at Community level.

Following consultation with our Member Unions as well as coaches, match officials, administrators and medical professionals, the tackle height will be lowered to below the base of the sternum for all competitions below Super Rugby that commence on or after February 10, 2024. This change in law will include all Premier Grades, School Competitions, and Pathway Competitions.

In all stakeholder engagement, key consideration was given to:
  • enhancing player safety.
  • the experience for the players, including professional players.
  • additional challenges that could be encountered by match officials.
  • possible changes to tactics and tackle technique currently being coached.
  • perception of the game by people not currently involved in rugby.
Changing the legal tackle height to the base of the sternum ensures the tackler's head is lower relative to the ball carrier's body, minimising the risk of head-to-head, and head-to-shoulder contact, and reducing the risk of head injury to both players. Initial trials and research findings over the last six years have indicated that the risk of concussion is 4.2 times higher when a tackler's head is positioned above the sternum of the ball carrier and the safest place to tackle is between the waist and sternum. The global law trial includes major Unions around the world such as England, France, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, South Africa, and Wales, and early indications are very positive with significant reduction in head impacts and suspected concussion being reported.

As part of the research select competitions around the world are being filmed and then analysed by World Rugby to undertake a comparison between significant head impacts and concussion under the previous law and the variation, as well as tracking the variation year to year. This assessment will review the positioning of tackler and ball carrier, their head proximity, point of contact, tackle type, direction of players, evasion techniques, number of passes preceding tackle etc. Game metric outcomes such as ball in play time, passing rate and offloads will also be captured as part of the trial evaluation.

To support your coaches and match officials with this transition to the new tackle height we have produced a range of resources and training materials. Match officials will be asked to place greater emphasis on the existing law preventing a ball carrier from “dipping” into a tackle and placing themselves, and potentially the defender, in an unsafe position for contact. The new law will not change the ability for an attacking player to "pick-and-go" where the ball carrier typically starts and continues at a low body height. The defender will still be required to avoid contact with the head and neck of the ball carrier as stipulated in the existing World Rugby Head Contact framework.

It is important to note there may be an adjustment period for players and match officials so please be patient through this time. For more information and ongoing updates, please visit our website.

We will continue to ensure that any decisions impacting the game are informed by research and evidence that prioritise player safety and welfare.

Thank you for your involvement in Rugby.

Kind Regards,

Phil Waugh - CEO, Rugby Australia

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
A lot to happen before we can even speculate. Haven't read into it but will the number remain per year? Hence some boys won't be in the year or is it extra enrolments on top of current number in which they would have the same depth as current.

Might be some resource shifting but Girls play Rugby at Barker as well. Barker are an easy comparison to reach for but they run a Rugby program with a clear focus at the top and not the whole from what it seems anyway. Not sure if Co-Ed has had much to do with it. Not sure on the gender split at Barker but they have over 2,500 total students and Riverview has 1,500. Don't think they girls are the issue.

Barker boys, obviously, compete in the CAS comp and their girls compete in the ISA comp against the likes of Kinross, Scots All Saints et al. Not sure what New are planning to do for a girls comp but ISA could be an option.

The Front Rower

Sydney Middleton (9)
I know where you've got this information from but you're very misinformed. The boys are training hard and have a great preseason program going.
A few are playing SG Ball for various teams like Fittler, Bartlett. (Other playing touch etc) Also its a very very long season and injuries are a major concern so not to sure if not training now will determine anything at all.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Also interesting to note that there aren't any independent girls schools rushing to open the doors to boys. I wonder why that is? :)
Good point. I can think of only three independent girls schools who've gone co-ed: Calrossy in Tamworth, SCEGGS Redlands in Cremorne and Rosebank in Five Dock. I, too, wonder why that is.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Then don't. Thousands of parents would have the social aspect of high school to a higher importance over academics and co-curricular activities. Not to mention that you can still get both to a high degree even with co-education...
Totally fine with this.

But why take an institution that was set up for the education of young men and turn it in to something it was never designed to be AND from what I read in the news lately, seems as if the consultation process was far from extensive.

There are other high fee co-ed alternatives. St. Andrews, SCEGGS Redlands, St. Lukes, William Clarke, Arden, Arndell, Northholm, Hills Grammar, Kinross, All Saints

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Good point. I can think of only three independent girls schools who've gone co-ed: Calrossy in Tamworth, SCEGGS Redlands in Cremorne and Rosebank in Five Dock. I, too, wonder why that is.
Calrossy needed the enrolments and Redlands had suffered financial instability for a number of years so I speculate the boys coming in was too - as a result for a need for more enrolments. Rosebank had been co-ed since the 80s for Year 11 and 12 so it doesn't appear to be too much of a stretch to extend that in to Year 7 when they did in the 2000s.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
There is a co-ed GPS school already - TAS - in case that hasnt been mentioned. I think Scots Bathurst is these days as well.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scots Bathurst, and All Saints', were established as boys' schools but both admitted girls in the recent decades (AS subsumed a girls' school, Marsden, when it went co-ed). Some five years ago the Anglican Diocese of Bathurst go into some serious financial difficulties and put its three independent schools up for sale. Sydney Anglican Schools Corporation purchased Macquarie Anglican Grammar School in Dubbo along with Orange AGS, but All Saints' in Bathurst was too big a bite for them. The Presbyterian Property Trust pounced shortly thereafter, bought AS and merged it with Scots Bathurst to form Scots All Saints College, Bathurst. It's co-ed.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
got it! thanks
Now the most important question is what is their rugby program like? Scots Bathurst were pretty rugby mad from what I recall.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Scots Bathurst, and All Saints', were established as boys' schools but both admitted girls in the recent decades (AS subsumed a girls' school, Marsden, when it went co-ed). Some five years ago the Anglican Diocese of Bathurst go into some serious financial difficulties and put its three independent schools up for sale. Sydney Anglican Schools Corporation purchased Macquarie Anglican Grammar School in Dubbo along with Orange AGS, but All Saints' in Bathurst was too big a bite for them. The Presbyterian Property Trust pounced shortly thereafter, bought AS and merged it with Scots Bathurst to form Scots All Saints College, Bathurst. It's co-ed.
When economic practicality dictates it makes sense. That hardly seems the case in relation to Newington. There really doesn’t seem to be much in the way of hard data to support the educational benefit argument. As for the civilising argument, a) that’s the role of the family not the school, b) 95% of children in Australia already attend coed schools, I’d argue that misogyny in general is the result of other factors rather than school environments.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
When economic practicality dictates it makes sense. That hardly seems the case in relation to Newington. There really doesn’t seem to be much in the way of hard data to support the educational benefit argument. As for the civilising argument, a) that’s the role of the family not the school, b) 95% of children in Australia already attend coed schools, I’d argue that misogyny in general is the result of other factors rather than school environments.
It’s also probably due to the fact the Newington is close geographically to Meriden, PLC and MLC .. All 3 are some of the best performing academic private schools in the state .. and a lot of the brothers go to Newington …

that should tell u something .

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
It’s also probably due to the fact the Newington is close geographically to Meriden, PLC and MLC .. All 3 are some of the best performing academic private schools in the state .. and a lot of the brothers go to Newington …

that should tell u something .
(For the Newington school council) It might be worth reading the newsletter that the then retiring Meriden principal circulated last year. It was staunchly in favour of a girls only school and shared substantial data supporting the position. Meriden is closest to Trinity whose own principal published an oped in the smh in recent weeks …… some schools won’t give into fashion, and stick to the sticking place.