• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Hippo

Frank Nicholson (4)
When was the last time Grammar or SBHS had a student in the GPS 1s?
Alec Sheldon from Grammar was the GPS firsts 5/8 a few years ago. A great player, unfortunately he got injured early in the game against CAS. Not sure of any others? There have certainly been a few from both schools picked in the other sides.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Quite new to the idea of AAGPS Rugby, but spectating from the rowing side has made me curious. Seems my lads from Northbridge have a good shot this year. Last I remember we were copping it 50-0 every week on A Ground. A marvellous turnaround it seems. Anyone got any info on this?

Quite new to the idea of AAGPS Rugby, but spectating from the rowing side has made me curious. Seems my lads from Northbridge have a good shot this year. Last I remember we were copping it 50-0 every week on A Ground. A marvellous turnaround it seems. Anyone got any info on this?
No, there has been zero talk of Shore. None.

Footylegend2

Frank Row (1)
Coming from CAS, Wondering apart from Riverview V Joeys, What would be the second biggest rivalry. I have heard about joeys and scots but not sure

The Front Rower

Sydney Middleton (9)
my ladder prediction for the 2024 AAGPS season

1. scots
2. Riverview
3. joeys
4. shore
5. kings
6. Newington

what are everyone's thoughts on this ladder prediction?

- ruckncoke
I think Newington will be higher.
Riverview will be lower. I have been told that this Riverview team in 13/14/15 and 16 only won 1 GPS comp game in 4 seasons, so its a stretch to come 2nd, however as we saw last season 10 rounds anything can happen, rest of teams could be correct.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I think Newington will be higher.
Riverview will be lower. I have been told that this Riverview team in 13/14/15 and 16 only won 1 GPS comp game in 4 seasons, so its a stretch to come 2nd, however as we saw last season 10 rounds anything can happen, rest of teams could be correct.
All these early predictions are brave but futile. My prediction is that the ‘24 season will be close and tightly contested. Over 2 rounds, depth will be tested, home and away will matter and the team that some predict to come last could come first and vice versa. From a depth perspective (for this year) I suspect Joeys and Scots are probably best placed. Kings and New are worst placed and View and Shore are in the middle. That is purely my guess at what depth is like based on earlier years, teams do get lucky, sometimes making it through with no major injuries. So depth doesn’t matter until it does and then it sometimes matters more than it should.

TheMaulester

Herbert Moran (7)
I believe Shore turn around in the past couple years is due to the new head of rugby - David Mason Jones. He has done a great job and it appears, for the first time in the schools history, Shore is now a rugby not rowing school.

TheMaulester

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
All these early predictions are brave but futile. My prediction is that the ‘24 season will be close and tightly contested. Over 2 rounds, depth will be tested, home and away will matter and the team that some predict to come last could come first and vice versa. From a depth perspective (for this year) I suspect Joeys and Scots are probably best placed. Kings and New are worst placed and View and Shore are in the middle. That is purely my guess at what depth is like based on earlier years, teams do get lucky, sometimes making it through with no major injuries. So depth doesn’t matter until it does and then it sometimes matters more than it should.
Scots feel like Kings did last year. Bringing a large group back with some genuine top level talent. Joeys seem like View last year. Brining back some key spots but can they match it with Scots.

I don't know what to make of View at this stage. Couple of good players back and some good young players but do they have enough overall? Didn't trial well initially but you saw the team develop quickly under some good coaching. Middle of the pack and may ruin the party for others.

Shore will be alright. Hard to beat but probably rolled by the top sides would be my guess.

I think Kings understand the position they're in following a dominant 2023. Always hard to play but might have an eye on 2025?...

Newington. Who knows. They could go 5/5 and get a win v everyone with some of the talent through the XV but then be flogged in the return game.

ruckncoke89

Frank Row (1)
@ruckncoke89 Interesting prediction. Can you give a brief summary on why you have each team in these positions?

-Graham 'boo' Mageary
scots - clearly the best team on paper so I think they are the team to beat. But if they want to continue playing as individuals then i think they will be closer to the bottom of the ladder.

Riverview - I think they will or will be one of the fittest teams in 2024 with the same coaching team as last year. which is an obvious advantage as they like to play very fast and expansive footy making them very dangerous if their 10 this year can run their troops around half as good as their 10 from last year (Joe Dillon). I am an old-view boy, so I'm always hoping they can threaten the prem again.

Joey - joeys always seem to be towards the top of the table every year and with a few boys returning this year I will be shocked if they aren't at the top of the ladder somewhere. joeys tend to run through the middle with their big forwards then look to swing either side of the field so if they can get some go-forward in the middle they will threaten out wide with a couple of excellent ball players in the back line.

shore - shore i think has a crack this year despite their very average rugby history. hopefully, their captain (Marshall) can lead them from the front in his third year in the 1st XV. if shore backline can light up with some expansive play they can win the comp.

kings - I've put kings at 5th only because of their lack of experience in the top grade. kings only have 1 first-XV player coming back therefore they might struggle in the first few rounds. they have also lost a lot of their imported players which may leave them slightly vulnerable this year as i believe they are irreplaceable.

Newington - I don't believe Newington has much of a shot at winning the premiership with only a couple of strike plays across the park. I'm also unsure about the culture at Newington with lots of dramas with the co-ed stuff, therefore I'm not certain that they are sure of the culture and identity.

- ruckncoke

TheMaulester

Herbert Moran (7)
scots - clearly the best team on paper so I think they are the team to beat. But if they want to continue playing as individuals then i think they will be closer to the bottom of the ladder.

Riverview - I think they will or will be one of the fittest teams in 2024 with the same coaching team as last year. which is an obvious advantage as they like to play very fast and expansive footy making them very dangerous if their 10 this year can run their troops around half as good as their 10 from last year (Joe Dillon). I am an old-view boy, so I'm always hoping they can threaten the prem again.

Joey - joeys always seem to be towards the top of the table every year and with a few boys returning this year I will be shocked if they aren't at the top of the ladder somewhere. joeys tend to run through the middle with their big forwards then look to swing either side of the field so if they can get some go-forward in the middle they will threaten out wide with a couple of excellent ball players in the back line.

shore - shore i think has a crack this year despite their very average rugby history. hopefully, their captain (Marshall) can lead them from the front in his third year in the 1st XV. if shore backline can light up with some expansive play they can win the comp.

kings - I've put kings at 5th only because of their lack of experience in the top grade. kings only have 1 first-XV player coming back therefore they might struggle in the first few rounds. they have also lost a lot of their imported players which may leave them slightly vulnerable this year as i believe they are irreplaceable.

Newington - I don't believe Newington has much of a shot at winning the premiership with only a couple of strike plays across the park. I'm also unsure about the culture at Newington with lots of dramas with the co-ed stuff, therefore I'm not certain that they are sure of the culture and identity.

- ruckncoke
Can't argue with that. You might've just changed some of my opinions on the teams performances this year. I do think, the top 4 are very interchangeable this year, but the bottom two are spot on.

TheMaulester

joebeale

Frank Row (1)
Big news out of Scots camp:

Onitoni Large is most likely out for the season, requires surgery for torn ligaments in his ankle. There is a slight chance he may be able to recover quickly and come back towards the end of the season but it's not looking good.

This is a massive challenge Scots must overcome to prove themselves.

Also, for no reason here is my ladder:
1. Scots
2. Joeys
3. View
4. Shore
5. Newington
6. Kings
Perhaps his little brother Ashton Large or Max laverty could fill in for him both top tier players

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Big news out of Scots camp:

Onitoni Large is most likely out for the season, requires surgery for torn ligaments in his ankle. There is a slight chance he may be able to recover quickly and come back towards the end of the season but it's not looking good.

This is a massive challenge Scots must overcome to prove themselves.

Also, for no reason here is my ladder:
1. Scots
2. Joeys
3. View
4. Shore
5. Newington
6. Kings
If true, this is a large loss for Scots (pun intended). Not to make light of it though- I’d rate him as the best U17 back in the country that I have seen.

Gus Riding

Bob McCowan (2)
Excited for the aloysius vs riverview trial match. Looking forward to the brother schools battling it out. Excited to see Riverview 1sts get a shock as this new look aloys team is shaping up to be favorites. Additions including oliver senior, gabe roberts and bert ridding, make this aloys team a real threat.