• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Mungo1866

Bob McCowan (2)
Typical shore supporter.
A win against Joeys is a win against Joeys, who from what I heard were playing their full team, Auggies came 3rd in the Schoolboys world champs and beat last years NZ champions just weeks ago, you might want to watch out for them when they take on shore next month, I wouldn’t dare to write them off in any match this year.
Joeys didn’t have the likely full team on the paddock, Justice for one was in the stands.
However in my view Auggies were deserved winners, some good tactical kicking (showing some league tendencies) that tested Joeys, Joeys came back in the last 10 but I think Augustine’s will test most teams. They were well drilled and had some skills. And yes I believe they are dining out on a win against Joeys, they’re not the only one Peter FitzSimons still brings up when his Knox team beat Joeys in the 70s!

InsiderScoop

Sydney Middleton (9)
It sucks for Newington but who’s really at fault? I’m not arguing your point but I don’t know how they break any compliance protocols with individual players making a decision. It becomes an internal matter.

I think it’s very likely these guys are done in regards to rep selection from the NSW level who are funded by the Tahs.
The boys will be selected in a GPS team because the GPS selectors want to field the best GPS side that they can, to showcase all the talent going through the program. However, the boys are required to tell Barlow (GPS Coordinator) if they have signed any contract outside of the Waratahs or are playing CIS rugby league so the tahs or NSW schools can't pick them.

Last edited:

TheMaulester

Sydney Middleton (9)
1. Joeys
2. Scots
3. Newington
4. Riverview
5. Shore
6. Kings

Joeys and Scots are very close and similar in viewing, complete rectangles, stands and many different ways of viewing, with the away side dealing with the sun for a large part of the game. But Joeys just edges over Scots due to Scots' current construction.

Newington and Riverview are similar but the slope and complete grass terrain of Newington is something I personally favour. Riverview's history of a swamp and complete mud can be a pain to your knees.

Shore and Kings both have annoying cricket pitches which requires binoculars to view the game. But Shore at least lets people view a bit closer to the sideline on the away side, and the stands of Shore are considerably better than Kings' ones.
It’s criminal to be putting Riverview’s viewing over Shore’s. Yes, the grandstand may be far away although, like you said you can stand basically on the sideline of the game if you just go to the far side seating/standing area. I think that gives Shore a little boost above Riverview, spectator and entertainment wise.

TheMaulester

TheMaulester

Sydney Middleton (9)
Aside from the big name players e.g Jacques, Lemaitre etc here are a few of my picks to make some high representative teams:

#5 Riverview - Dan Smith - Hard ball runner, solid in the lineouts and a defensive stalwart of the View pack.
#15 Kings - Ben Sawyer - From what I've seen - agile, great boot and an ability to create space
#6 Shore - Gus Gordon - Similar to Smith, he's a big unit. Strong in his carry and loves to make his presence felt on defence.
There’s couple under rated players in the Shore side I haven’t heard much talk about. Lewis Kingdom in my opinion has been one of Shore unsung heroes.

His ability to chop tackle attackers much larger than him is quite impressive. Yet, he is mostly overlooked when looking at the Shore team’s dominance in the trail matches.

He also has a quite unique skill set in attack as he easily can do a couple dummy’s and step and bang he is away (as seen in the Knox game).

I’ve been quite surprised there hasn’t been much talk about this young blokes potential this season. Definitely keep your eyes open for him against View this weekend.

TheMaulester

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The School can't control choices.

Even if they write in the enrolment forms that you must participate in School events how enforceable is this really in this sort of circumstance. It's a mutual agreement not a legal agreement. The only thing they could do is kick a kid out which isn't going to happen.

I'd never blame a kid for making a decision that I'm sure is pretty uncomfortable for them as well amongst mates and team mates but is also about their future.

This is a situation Schools are going to have to think about when they wade into these waters of dual hatted athletes enrolling.

I believe Hamilton Boys High is having issues at the moment re players who are in the Warriors pathway but are being pressured by the School to not play league or they won't be in the 1st XV. I can see both sides but the schools make their bed...

UpnUnder

Sydney Middleton (9)

Even if they write in the enrolment forms that you must participate in School events how enforceable is this really in this sort of circumstance. It's a mutual agreement not a legal agreement. The only thing they could do is kick a kid out which isn't going to happen.

I'd never blame a kid for making a decision that I'm sure is pretty uncomfortable for them as well amongst mates and team mates but is also about their future.

This is a situation Schools are going to have to think about when they wade into these waters of dual hatted athletes enrolling.

I believe Hamilton Boys High is having issues at the moment re players who are in the Warriors pathway but are being pressured by the School to not play league or they won't be in the 1st XV. I can see both sides but the schools make their bed...
If it is made clear that participation in School sport is the priority then there should not be any confusion. There shouldn’t be a hard decision. It is a mutual agreement and in life you are expected to honour your agreements. This only gets difficult if you have made multiple agreements with multiple parties to do the same (similar) thing at the same time. There is the unspoken reason for this as well and that is the main reason some schools have trouble enforcing their own rules.

Agent

Alfred Walker (16)
Typical shore supporter.
A win against Joeys is a win against Joeys, who from what I heard were playing their full team, Auggies came 3rd in the Schoolboys world champs and beat last years NZ champions just weeks ago, you might want to watch out for them when they take on shore next month, I wouldn’t dare to write them off in any match this year.

I'm doubtful they are a Shore supporter....more likely someone pumping up Shore's tyres and hoping Shore will fail!!

CasualObserver

Frank Nicholson (4)

The schools have no obligation to rugby league, but they do have an obligation to maintain the integrity and standard of the GPS rugby comp. Why do that have these kids on scholarships if it isn't to win a GPS comp? Dropping two points on Saturday may have huge ramifications later on.

Maybe the school's funds being spent on kids to benefit the NRL could be better spent on creating a rugby program that can put out a 13B, 14B & 16B's good enough to play against other GPS schools.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If it is made clear that participation in School sport is the priority then there should not be any confusion. There shouldn’t be a hard decision. It is a mutual agreement and in life you are expected to honour your agreements. This only gets difficult if you have made multiple agreements with multiple parties to do the same (similar) thing at the same time. There is the unspoken reason for this as well and that is the main reason some schools have trouble enforcing their own rules.
Think this is the crux of it. Hard to say no to an organisation who facilitates your involvement in the other activities also. I have no doubt these boys turn out all year and have in the past for Newington at every opportunity.

Glad they are playing. Will give Joeys a good game.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The schools have no obligation to rugby league, but they do have an obligation to maintain the integrity and standard of the GPS rugby comp. Why do that have these kids on scholarships if it isn't to win a GPS comp? Dropping two points on Saturday may have huge ramifications later on.

Maybe the school's funds being spent on kids to benefit the NRL could be better spent on creating a rugby program that can put out a 13B, 14B & 16B's good enough to play against other GPS schools.
Careful with the infamous S word.

But as I said, this is something the Schools will have to navigate with kids who are multi sport.

Can also be cynical and also say what obligation does a kid who could be signed with a professional sporting organisation have to a School?

If these sorts of things do happen it will become a whole of AAGPS issue and dealing with the Schools in question. I'd guess not all would be too keen on any punishments when the shoe will end up on their foot also at some point.