• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grunta007

you were right - 2011 will go down in history for Joey's as a "Special" year for them --- OUCH!

G

Grunta007

Joey's did very well to crawl back to 22 after trailing by 19-03. It shows great courage, determination & a sheer "never say die" attitude. I guess that is why the rivalry between these two schools is so exciting.

Special as a team of year 10-11 boys who almost ran down the yr 12 dominated View team then yes! Last time Joeys had such a young squad it was followed by a premiership team then another and another... (1981-1986). Don't think this will happen but our once in 31 year dip is over. Roll on 2012. And yes, View were the better team this year.

Not so. Read my last post (11 Aug 2001 @ 5:24pm)

You may be right about Joey's future success in 2012 and beyond. What you must understand is that Joey's was beaten by a school that has no great historic 'form' in rugby. The only GPS competition Riverview has ever dominated is the GPS Debating Competition. So against this background, a rugby win for Riverview against Joey's (and winning the GPS premiership) is very exciting.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

CTPE in case you didn't go to watch it, I'm told Kings 16As won 10-7 against New. Sounds like a was a tight contest!

However if you did go, I would love to read a report

M

Mamaluke

To any of the Joeys followers, I have not been reading through all the previous posts, but I see all this talk of Joeys 'only' had a team filled with Year 10 and 11 people, incl some players lifted from the U16A's.............

Was there some deliberate underlying reasoning to this, or were these players deemed to be better than their older colleagues in Yr 12 in the same positions? And therefore, irrespective of age, did this 2011 First XV represent the best team the school was able to muster?

L

lewis1234

it was there was only 4 U18's for joeys, but in saying that, it was almost (always some disagreement on who should be picked where) the strongest side possible yes

Debatable, strongest side in my opinion would have 1.Robertson 2. Guilfoyle 3. Hall 4.Carroll 5. Schwager 6. Goldie 7. Murphy 8. Kovacic 9.Curtin 10. Deegan 11. Cleary 12. Kay 13. Barclay 14.Hookey 15. Newsome

U

Uncle Pete

Ah yes but Grammar has provided more Wallaby captains than any other school

T

The Blindside

New v Kings

The sleeping dragon finally woke up today ......... albeit too little and too late. In front of a very large "Back To Newington Day" crowd New soundly defeated Kings by 28 - 10. After running up a very large lead the New boys, much to the frustration of the coaching staff, lost focus in the second half and did not go on with job. This was disappointing as a 50+ scoreline was there for the taking.

The New forwards dominated a courageous and tenacious Kings pack and the backs did the rest. Joey Lussick played well and seems to have found his feet at 1st grade level and Roods and Roye were outstanding. Man of the match for New (no surprises here) was Mark Baldwin who was in everything. Kings tried hard and never gave up but it was men against boys.

New's final game against Joeys next week at Hunters Hill should be a cracker. New also won 2nds through 5ths for a reasonably successful day.

K

knight

Can any Joeys supporter with inside information please tell me why Josh Kay is not playing 10. To those who see joeys are not fielding their strongest team, As an old boy who has strived for the jersey, this really does offend me (if these accusations are true). Sure you could build deegan up for the next three years but what about the next two years! the cerise jersey is given to the most outstanding player in their particular position, an eye on the future tarnishes the heritage of the 1st XV. I watched Kay play against Shore last year at Northbridge in the 16a's and he was duelling with a talented shore player who in a true spectacle put their skills on display and kay came out on top. Stronger boot then le lievre, better pass then deegan and a competitiveness is a real asset which i look for in sportsman. Someone please explain????????????????

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Well done to View they were too good but in the first 10-15 mins they looked very nervous and Joeys had the run of the game to get my hopes up, but class told in the end.

Neverthess the Joeys connections would have been thinking – what might have been. What if a youngster had not thrown a predictable languid pass without drawing the man and it was intercepted for a try – or if in a routine lineout did not have a huge gap in it and a View lad ran through untouched for another.

Well down to the 2 View boys who had the ability to take advantage of the situation – and no correspondence on this please – the better side won – but ever had a what-if?

For View I thought that 10 Vaux had a terrific all-round game and managed it well. 13. Reddan was one of the best backs on the park, but the surprise for me was backrower Whiteley playing a top game at 12.

It's a pity that Joeys didn't get their act together until the end of the game. The passing of the inside backs was arguably the worst of the season and time and time again they were caught 2 men short on defence – and sometime even on attack.

But full marks to Joeys for showing their character and coming back to make the View crowd nervous.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE in case you didn't go to watch it, I'm told Kings 16As won 10-7 against New. Sounds like a was a tight contest!

However if you did go, I would love to read a report

Didn't get there QCF...toddled up to watch the main game between View and Joeys. View were deserved winners and are deserved premiers. Loved Joeys comeback and as suggested by a couple of other posters it would have been interesting if the final whistle had not been blown for a further 5-10 mins. If as stated View's 1s, 2s and 3s have all gone through undefeated that's a massive achievement for them.

I did chase up a King's dad tonight to confirm what you were told about their U16As game against New and your info is correct. His summation was "Kings lead 3-0 at halftime, New scored a converted intercept try midway through the second half to go up 7-3 but Kings got up 10-7 with a converted try inside the last 5 mins to maintain their unbeaten run". He also said that the Kings forwards dominated New's especially in the scrums, via some excellent rolling mauls and at the breakdown. News backs on the other hand got up "early and often" in the faces of the Kings backs putting them under pressure which resulted in "heaps of dropped ball". Bottom line was that "Kings forwards delivered plenty of good ball but the backs couldn't take advantage of it. Their piggies kept the ball in tight in the later stages of the game resulting in a winning try after sustained pressure was applied to New on their own line"

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Good game, my first GPS match and the atmosphere was superb.
Thought the View 14 was very good in defence

O

ON85

The sleeping dragon finally woke up today ......... albeit too little and too late. In front of a very large "Back To Newington Day" crowd New soundly defeated Kings by 28 - 10. After running up a very large lead the New boys, much to the frustration of the coaching staff, lost focus in the second half and did not go on with job. This was disappointing as a 50+ scoreline was there for the taking.

The New forwards dominated a courageous and tenacious Kings pack and the backs did the rest. Joey Lussick played well and seems to have found his feet at 1st grade level and Roods and Roye were outstanding. Man of the match for New (no surprises here) was Mark Baldwin who was in everything. Kings tried
hard and never gave up but it was men against boys.

New's final game against Joeys next week at Hunters Hill should be a cracker. New also won 2nds through 5ths for a reasonably successful day.

Back to New is always great day to catch up with old school friends, sample the outstanding food from the various stalls and get your fill of Rugby. Thought 1sts were solid, yet unspectacular. Should really have scored many more points against the transitional Kings lineup. New seem to have problems with the orientation of their back line defense. More than once Kings made easy ground, through the simple process of numbers, only to have the New 15 thwart their progress. Poor awareness and communication, notable by not once identifying their inside shoulder opposite.

Thought the best game I saw was the 3's, a contest regrettably ruined towards the end by Kings astonishing lack of discipline and a taste for dissent/abuse. The situation wasn't helped by those few in the Kings crowd following the example set by the players.

T

Try Time

Back to New is always great day to catch up with old school friends, sample the outstanding food from the various stalls and get your fill of Rugby. Thought 1sts were solid, yet unspectacular. Should really have scored many more points against the transitional Kings lineup. New seem to have problems with the orientation of their back line defense. More than once Kings made easy ground, through the simple process of numbers, only to have the New 15 thwart their progress. Poor awareness and communication, notable by not once identifying their inside shoulder opposite.

Thought the best game I saw was the 3's, a contest regrettably ruined towards the end by Kings astonishing lack of discipline and a taste for dissent/abuse. The situation wasn't helped by those few in the Kings crowd following the example set by the players.

Not sure what game Blindside watched but Newington 1sts won ugly. They just haven't jelled all year. Oh and it's a Wyvern, not a dragon. Kings were awful in all open grades which surprised me. Agree with ON85 that Kings discipline was dreadful in not just the 3's but 2's and 1's as well. I hope the Headmaster was there and takes action on a contigent of boys who threatened to give a fine school a very bad name.

I

International Badboy

i would swap newington and kings around in your predictions Joeys2012

Status
Not open for further replies.