• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Not sure. Kings rarely use 16s players in the opens, but if he is really good then I guess he could make it.

As for a probable 1st XV, i'll have to get back to you on that one.

Thanks for that. Any idea how Kings 16As lineup is looking this year?

Q

QuadeCooperFan

Looking pretty good, as expected there are a number of new blokes in the ranks, but we'll save discussion for the ethics behind that for the stickied thread.

New blokes include Tepai Moerea, Sam Carter, Matthew Matson and Rory Davis. There might be one more but his name escapes me. As for returning players, the 1, 8 and 10 from last year I think are their best players based off the matches I watched (i think the 10 may have played 15 at one point). I forget their names, maybe someone can fill them in? (PS: i might have gotten the 1 and 3 mixed up). Perhaps someone should start a thread for u16s, as i'm keen to get a scope of other schools as well.

EDIT: disregard what i said about Tepai, he is still at New.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking pretty good, as expected there are a number of new blokes in the ranks, but we'll save discussion for the ethics behind that for the stickied thread.

New blokes include Tepai Moerea, Sam Carter, Matthew Matson and Rory Davis. There might be one more but his name escapes me. As for returning players, the 1, 8 and 10 from last year I think are their best players based off the matches I watched (i think the 10 may have played 15 at one point). I forget their names, maybe someone can fill them in? (PS: i might have gotten the 1 and 3 mixed up). Perhaps someone should start a thread for u16s, as i'm keen to get a scope of other schools as well.

Some good young players there although I thought Tepai was at Newington?

From recollection they also had a very good open side flanker their U15's last year called Jack McCalman who I think was their captain as well (don't know if he is related to Ben McCalman?). Had a huge work rate. I think the prop you are thinking of was their loose head Lucas Bateman. Very good technique for a young prop and hard worker around the field also. He and McCalman were both named in a recently announced ARU U16 Sydney merit team along with some Trinity boys.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

yep Bateman is his name. He's been one of the best in this age group since the u13s. As for Tepai, he was at New but apparently he is at Kings now.

I also agree their no.7 McCalman is very good as well, I forgot about him. wouldn't that be something if he was related to Ben!

What about other schools? Any clue how New, View and Joeys are shaping up?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Newington stood out in the U15s last year although View beat them in the last game. View, Scots, Joeys and Kings were otherwise pretty evenly matched and Shore were not far behind them. All in all it was a pretty even comp. From what you've posted sounds like Kings might be stronger in 16s this year and I know that Joeys have 3 boys from the NSW Country team so they'll no doubt be stronger as well. Haven't heard in regards to New, Scots or View. Someone else may know.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Scots lost 39-17 to Canberra side Erindale Vikings. Scots minus Jim Stewart and Jack Walters

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)

My Trinity contacts tell me that their No 8 is Ben Stacy and their no 10/15 is Harry Jones both of whom were in the NSW ARU Junior Gold Squad this year. The other new one that you are thinking of may be the NSW Country no 10 Corey Hughes who has apparently gone there as well. Sounds like Kings have really boosted their backs for U16s this year.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

Thanks CTPE, and malcsy i will have to check my sources again. im not too sure now if my info was correct.

actually come to think of it, disregard what I said earlier and just assume Tepai is still at Newington. that was a silly error on my part.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Big game on Tuesday up at Knox, Knox are playing Newington in 1sts, 2nds and all A grades. The schedule is:

Gillespie 1:
10am - 13A's
11am - 14A's
Noon - 15A's

Knox 1:
11am - 16A's
Noon - 2nds
1:15pm - 1sts

Obviously Newington will be strong in the 1sts, but what will they be like in the other age groups?

I

International Badboy

Newington stood out in the U15s last year although View beat them in the last game. View, Scots, Joeys and Kings were otherwise pretty evenly matched and Shore were not far behind them. All in all it was a pretty even comp. From what you've posted sounds like Kings might be stronger in 16s this year and I know that Joeys have 3 boys from the NSW Country team so they'll no doubt be stronger as well. Haven't heard in regards to New, Scots or View. Someone else may know

I dont think Newington stood out last year, They only beat Joeys 11-10 in the comp game and lost to riverview, Joeys beat riverview 13-0, and Riverview beat Newington so those 3 are pretty evenly matched, as for Scotts, they are useless unless Kellaway is on his game, and shore are so outmatched it is a joke. Kings looked alright with some big boys and fast backs but can't match the other schools (view, new and Joeys) skills wise or tactically.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I dont think Newington stood out last year, They only beat Joeys 11-10 in the comp game and lost to riverview, Joeys beat riverview 13-0, and Riverview beat Newington so those 3 are pretty evenly matched, as for Scotts, they are useless unless Kellaway is on his game, and shore are so outmatched it is a joke. Kings looked alright with some big boys and fast backs but can't match the other schools (view, new and Joeys) skills wise or tactically.

Joeys have always been very strong in this age group but they were very lucky to beat King 7-5 last year. In fact there were plenty of close games between Joeys, Kings, View and Newington which shows how evenly matched these teams were at U15 level. To be fair to Scots they would have had half their team out at various points in the season because they had boys at Glengarry.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Newington have had a couple of good recent additions in 16s. David Morris (open side) and Reiji Sano (utility back/back row) both with Norths. Should make for a strong side, especially if Joey Lussick and Tepai both play 16s

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Newington have had a couple of good recent additions in 16s. David Morris (open side) and Reiji Sano (utility back/back row) both with Norths. Should make for a strong side, especially if Joey Lussick and Tepai both play 16s

Norths U15s were a very good side. Where were Morris and Sano at school before Newington?

B

baldingwingforward

Cringe worthy how Newington just keep doing it and no one pulls them up on it.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
CTPE, the Norths guys are a quality side. Interestingly, their awesome front row is outside the traditional school system. Will be interesting to see if the props make CHS this year. The hooker was AICES last year so presumably will feature again this year. A number of view boys in the team as well as Alos, Auggies and the aforementioned New boys. Will be a massive contest at State Champs this year !

I

International Badboy

Joeys have always been very strong in this age group but they were very lucky to beat King 7-5 last year. In fact there were plenty of close games between Joeys, Kings, View and Newington which shows how evenly matched these teams were at U15 level. To be fair to Scots they would have had half their team out at various points in the season because they had boys at Glengarry

from memory all comp games for that age group apart from U13s have been at Kings. however i do agree that this age group is one of the tightest and most contested ones to have come through in a while

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sarge, are you sure about that ? As far as I am aware neither have played league and they are both Norths players. Sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.