• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It would seem this year's Joeys Year 12 crew are taking things "week by week"...

As they should.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
For What its worth I went over the bridge to Stanmore this afternoon to watch SHORE / Newington. Overall a pretty average game spoilt by an even more average referree. Game started interestingly with one of the Newington props sin binned from the kickoff with the ball still in the air. (He went straight through and knocked a SHORE boy out without even looking at the ball he was meant to be catching).

For SHORE I thought 9 and 13 were absolute standouts for the whole game 13 particularly. The rest were very average at best. This is not going to be a competitive team this year. I think Grammar will give them a genuine run for their money.

For Newington they were down to 14 after 1 second and really struggled to impose themselves. Indeed I thought they looked pretty average for most of the game. Lots of mistakes and they seemed to be missing a few players mentioned here. Last 15 minutes they ran away with it to win 38 - 12. Quite indisciplined at times as well.

As an independent observer I would be very worried if this Newington team actually gets it together because somebody might get a right hiding. The 50 + point victories from last year could be repeated regularly. To beat Newington somebody is going to have to have a very smart coach. For me I don't see anyone getting anywhere near Newington or Riverview this year. Somebody mentioned on this thread a while back that they thought SHORE would surprise this year. Indeed they will but to the negative.

chaz

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree with Providence, not a fantstic spectacle, except for last 15 minutes.

I thought the New 9 did a good job. Someone posted earlier that he wasn't providing quick ball for his backs, but today he did pretty well.
New lost a bit of ball at the breakdown, with forwards not getting there and one out runners.
When New get going and have a bit of space, there doesn't seem to be any stopping them. It just took a bit of time to get going today.

T

The Blindside

For What its worth I went over the bridge to Stanmore this afternoon to watch SHORE / Newington. Overall a pretty average game spoilt by an even more average referree. Game started interestingly with one of the Newington props sin binned from the kickoff with the ball still in the air. (He went straight through and knocked a SHORE boy out without even looking at the ball he was meant to be catching).

For SHORE I thought 9 and 13 were absolute standouts for the whole game 13 particularly. The rest were very average at best. This is not going to be a competitive team this year. I think Grammar will give them a genuine run for their money.

For Newington they were down to 14 after 1 second and really struggled to impose themselves. Indeed I thought they looked pretty average for most of the game. Lots of mistakes and they seemed to be missing a few players mentioned here. Last 15 minutes they ran away with it to win 38 - 12. Quite indisciplined at times as well.

As an independent observer I would be very worried if this Newington team actually gets it together because somebody might get a right hiding. The 50 + point victories from last year could be repeated regularly. To beat Newington somebody is going to have to have a very smart coach. For me I don't see anyone getting anywhere near Newington or Riverview this year. Somebody mentioned on this thread a while back that they thought SHORE would surprise this year. Indeed they will but to the negative.

New are still trialling a number of boys in various positions. There were changes from last week in the second row and at half back. They have still have Roods (outside centre) and Vlahos (second row) to return from injury. Their play this time last year was the same. Replacing Roach, Luani, Bannon and Apo is proving problematic as it would for any team. And some of the big forwards just need more game time to get really match fit. Let's hope they get their act together in the next two weeks as the opening round against View is going to be a cracker of a game.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Blindside, if Newington do get 'their act together' and get past Riverview this is going to be a VERY one sided GPS comp this year with cricket scores all over the place wherever Newington are playing.

People still seem to be talking up Joeys but from my sources they are even worse than last year. I would guess SHORE and Joeys will be similar in standard.

This said if Newington lose to Riverview what a potentially superb open comp!

B

blueandblack

if im honest i dont even see newington v view to be that close. if newington are at full strength and with home ground advantage i cant seeing this result being dissimilar to last year.

B

blueandblack

can anyone from newington tell me if tepai moeroa is playing ?

Q

QuadeCooperFan

Thats bogus. Joeys, View and Kings will all threaten New for the premiership.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
I tend to agree. (But...I went to the New/Riv game last year and I thought the Riv youngsters were outstanding and hence my belief in them for this year) And I have a feeling that this is why there has been so much focus recently on this / thread/forum about the U14's / 15's / 16's at all schools because at best there are only going to be two GPS teams seriously competing this year. Most respondents here (non Riv or New supporters) are already looking to 2012.

Don't get me wrong Newington and Riverview can still stuff it up as we all know but watching that game today, when needed newington just changed gear and seriously it was like men against little boys. The SHORE hooker was tiny, the number 10 reminded me of the Joeys 10 last year, involved and fancy but never committed (U16 perhaps?). I know Newington were perhaps interchanging a bit / missing a few in the backs today but they do need to get it sorted if they are going to produce what seems to be widely anticipated.

T

The Blindside

FYI, New are warm favourites for the 2016 comp. Their 13A's followed up last week's 40 point win again Kings to smoke Shore 13A's by 70 - Nil today.

F

Finland Fella

"Newington overran a plucky Shore XV 38-12 at Stanmore with a scoreline that belied the true nature of the contest. Four tries in the final quarter hour true testament to the unrelenting physical nature of Newington’s play." - 3:15theGPSrugby-blog

crofty

Allen Oxlade (6)
Oakhill beat Grammar 48 - 20 today. The half time score was 13 - 12 to SGS but they ran out of puff in the second half and Oakhill regularly ran through some very flimsy defence - score made somewhat respectable by a SGS converted try on the bell. Grammar looked well short of a run but their bigger problem appears to be a distinct lack of cattle - things could get decidedly ugly against teams like New & View based on earlier comments.

B

blueandblack

could somebody please give me a 1-15 newington lineup at full strength and who are not playing at the moment?
cheer

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Kings beat Joeys 19-16 today though kings where on top untill the last 15 mins when joeys finally started playing rugby they never should have gotten that close joeys had a few injuries though

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Kings 19 Joeys 16 [Half-time 12-6]

I arrived at Hunters Hill to see the trial and could have got the best seat in the house because there was nobody there. Got to Kings in plenty of time though.

Last year Joeys fullback, Gus Le Lievre, orchestrated the Great Parramatta Escape and today he was dashing along touch to do the same at Kings, but it was not to be, and the player he dished the ball out to got stopped. Not too longer after the game was over.

Some random thoughts (and using the names listed in the programme.):

• The score flattered Joeys a bit: they were down 19-6 at one time and Kings looked good value for every point difference. The visitors didn't visit the Kings 22 very often and took two chances, but Kings were down in the Joeys 22 about 10 times and scored 3 tries. In hindsight the points difference was a missed Joeys' penalty that hit the upright.

• Joeys lost about half of their own lineouts but they improved later in the game which allowed them to compete better. Their problems were in equal parts: poor throwing and lifting, and good intervention by Kings 2nd rowers Greentree and Renshaw. Their scrums struggled early too.

• The tighter the game, the better Kings were, the looser, the better Joeys were. At one point Joeys were sitting back in close waiting for Kings to do things instead of getting off the line to knock them over, which is a traditional strength. Consequently Kings made several incursions up the middle. When Joeys improved in this area later you could see the effect then also.

• Kings mauls, pick and gos, scrums and set pieces were good but their ball work was laboured. Joeys struggled in this area too and sometimes all the backs looked like cows playing the piano. Methinks the backs coaches of both teams will have them doing old style passing practice with the receiver behind the passer and running onto the ball passed in front of him.

Kings

- 12. Foketi – (Yr. 11) Runs like Apo, previously of Newington, when at the same age; created the 1st Kings try carving up like he was covered in snakes and spiders. Watch this space on the young man.

- 1. Brister – his side of the scrum went forward all day, even when Kings needed right shoulder.

- 8. Vilimaa – Big bopper who is hard to stop when he gets going and crashed through for a try.

Joeys

- 13. Barclay, 14 Wilde and later 15 Le Lievre all looked good when the ball got out to them but it was only occasionally. Barclay had a slashing run which set up Joeys 1st try.

- In the forwards locks Schwagger and Kovacic plus LHP Robertson, who played most of the Twos game, had some good runs and Robertson backed up Barclay to score the 1st try.

• Kings will have to finish their games stronger, improve their ball work to convert good forward play into points and also stay on their feet more at the breakdown. Joeys will take some comfort from their sterling comeback but they will have to improve their set pieces and tighten up their defence around the ruck against big boppers. It will be ugly against Newington next week if they don't.

Twos - Kings 10 - Joeys 42 [Half time 3-21]

The difference in ability between the Kings Ones and their Twos was bigger than you see at most GPS schools. The Joeys Twos are a good team and played well. Were it not for a turnover, which had Joeys players going the wrong way, they could have kept their line intact.

Joeys 1. Robertson had some good runs and scored a top individual try, then got a chance in the Ones as a reward. 6. Carroll also ran well and 12. McCarthy had another top game. Rangy 13. O'Shea was speedy on the break and looks very handy for a Twos player.

Status
Not open for further replies.