• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G-78-XV-V

I was at the Kings/Joey's U16's before heading off to watch Riverview 1st's and the Ref. did appear to be very one sided, I lost count at 18-3, against Kings.
The Joeys boys didnt play badly and taking nothing away from their game, and their tries wre due to good work, BUT
A coupla of issues re the Ref,
# If the Joeys coach did apologise then he must have known who the Ref. was, otherwise if it was an idependant ref. then no apology necessary.
# The majority of infringements were at the breakdown, either attacking or defending, so you would have to believe that the Kings players did not understand the release rules...Highly unlikly...
or that the Kings coaches have been negligent in their job...also highly unlikley.
#why didn't the Ref. issue a team warning, and therefore, yellow cards for continuing infringements?.
I'm just glad for the teams and spectators that it was a draw at full time, and the boys played on, to get a result.....

G

G-78-XV-V

View vs Grammar.
Predictable result, but what was interesting was how Grammar scored their points.
Both tries were from attacking lineouts, within the 22,
with Grammar's No 9 sniping around View's defending pack.
Also.....
An interesting stat.... with Grammar vs New. on Sat...Grammar's "point for" are a converted try
AHEAD of New's !!!! (both teams have had the bye)

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I've been told by others at the game (as i only got there for the 2nd and 1st XV) that it wasnt that one sided as it said to be on here. However, i think that hearing this, it does not surprise me that this happened, Joeys referee's give the Joe boys every chance to win the games they play, Scots vs Joeys in the 16 A's before the term break was a classic example with Joeys going 50 metres to come within inches of scoring after the bell had gone, after the ball went into touch.
Having spoken to the Joeys team about that incident you refer to against Scotts, they say he grounded the ball and was then turned over on to his back and the ref only caught up to the play in time to see the him on his back.

S

SmarterChild12

Having spoken to the Joeys team about that incident you refer to against Scotts, they say he grounded the ball and was then turned over on to his back and the ref only caught up to the play in time to see the him on his back.

My very well have Dermo, but i think you'll find that the ball went out of a scrum on last play and went out, he payed the lineout but realised he had to call the game there, so the ref chose to re pack the scrum??? as a qualified referee, i know that the game should have ended there, and joeys shouldnt have been given the chance to "score".
But really the point im trying to make is nothing on joeys boys, but on the Referee's Joeys continually get for their A games, as it showed in that scots game and Kings on the weekend, 20-4 penalty count ( thats what i heard), seems hardly fair for both teams.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
With regard to the 16 A Joeys v Kings ref, I feel where the ref was at fault was not mainly the actual penaltys given as the majority seemed feasable, but the fact that the not once did the ref speak to the Kings captain. Had he perhaps carded someone then the rucks wouldve have been cleaner and the thus that game wouldve been more flowing.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
With regard to the 16 A Joeys v Kings ref, I feel where the ref was at fault was not mainly the actual penaltys given as the majority seemed feasable, but the fact that the not once did the ref speak to the Kings captain. Had he perhaps carded someone then the rucks wouldve have been cleaner and the thus that game wouldve been more flowing.

I consider myself a reasonably objective rugby observer. However any suggestion that the flow of penalties to Joeys (11-0 at half time and 20-4 at full time) was based on ruck infringements by Kings is baseless. Honestly you had to be there to see it...quite frankly the most abysmal performance by a referee that I have witnessed in three plus decades of watching junior rugby.The referee penalised Kings anytime Joeys came under pressure, awarded Joeys first try on what was a more than blatant forward pass and pulled up Kings for simply inane decsions. In reality he had only one arm working.

As I alluded to in my previous post I admire the way Joeys play rugby and always have...their forwards take no prisoners and are exceptional at the breakdown..dare I say they have the same winner takes all attitude of the All Blacks. Their backs are always prepared to run the ball and ten man rugby is absolutely foreign to them hence their unmatched GPS success over many decades. They always play on the edge, but seriously when you play this way can you be up 11-0 at half time in the penalty count and 20-4 at fulltime?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree with that barbarian. I hope that my intervention did not indicate preciousness on behalf of Joeys. God knows I have seen enough go the other way and have held my tongue, without exception.

I just think that it is bad form to say a referee is biased at any level.

The next time I see somebody say a ref is biased I will say the same thing, regardless of who is playing. Sorry, that's just me.

G

Good rugby fan

I've watched a lot of games this year and can really honestly say the referees aren't biased but they're not up to this standard of play. It has looked like most of the time they simply can't keep up with the pace and get stressed because of it, most times they're there just to pick up their pay check!

A

Ageing Parent

Noting Barbarians suggestion that enough has been discussed about a particular referee at a particular match, perhaps it is worthwhile noting that many schools now seek their referees from the 3 district referees associations ( Sydney South, Sydney West, & Sydney North). With a potentially greater pool of referees to draw from, it is then possible to align a suitably qualified referee to a particular level of match.

However, one must remember that these referees more often than not - a) parents of current students at many of the schools playing rugby; b) current students at these schools, or c) past students / parents etc etc.
The point being that if someone wished to tag a referee as biased because of a school affiliation ( whether present or past), it is just about always possible..

That being said, without a referee, there would not be a match – so perhaps everyone should cut the poor whistle blowers a bit of slack. Everyone has a “bad day at the office” every now & then !

As to GRF’s assertion that they are just doing it for the pay cheque…………I trust that this was written with tongue firmly planted in one’s cheek………..I don’t know of any referee who is in it for the $$$ !

Perhaps Joey’s ( & in fact ALL of the rugby playing schools) might like to investigate obtaining independent referees for their senior A matches from the local association………might assist in getting rid of discussions such as this.

Currently, NSW Referees appoint to all 1st XV matches - this ensures that (generally !) the referees are suitably well equipped to handle such matches – and they can hold their hands up to say that they are not linked to any school.

Many schools, ( such as Shore & yes, even Joey’s ! ) actively promote refereeing – and many of these boys do club matches as well as school matches. Hopefully in time, the pool of active referees will improve, and we won’t be having too many more discussions such as this one.!

S

shinsplits

I have no affiliation with GPS Rugby but do follow the thread because I know many of the boys playing via club and rep rugby.

I agree it is terribly bad form to accuse referees of bias. Does not set a good example, and I think certain posts on this thread crossed the line from criticism to a more personal attack on somebodies integrity.

I was not at the game, am not a referee and have no GPS allegiance just think some of the statements are simply too much.

Just my opinion, I do enjoy the thread and appreciate the time and effort the various contributors make.

Cheers

ten four

Stan Wickham (3)
my son was about 15 and was refereeing his first match between two G.P.S schools, he was attending one of them. The game he refereed was one of the f,s or g matches.

After the game had finished the parent of one of the players of the losing side abused him for his display.

He was amazed ,as was I ( Iwasnt there) when I heard about it. It was such a pathetic display by the parent, it actually made my son`s refereeing performance look good by comparison

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
View Joeys to be played at 11:15am. As an old View boy and a keen supporter of schoolboy rugby I find this infuriating. This game is a highlight of the schoolboy calendar and playing it in the morning will decrease crowd numbers and atmosphere. Shane Hogan has no right to end such a long running tradition because of the actions of a few little shits from both schools.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...test-rugby-brawl/story-e6freuzi-1226106254524

B

baldingwingforward

Sad thing is that this isn't the only schoolboy game or ground where they have problems with drunk and abusive old boys.

I have been to many CAS, ISA and other school grounds over about the last 20 years and seen quite a few ugly drunken scenes. Trinity Grammar had a particularly ugly one there a few years ago when a fight erupted in the crowd on the side line.

St Pius used to have a regular drunken crowd watching, but consistently probably the two worst in my experience are/were St Aloysius and Waverley.

The problem with the Joeys View game is that the crowd is so big and the game so high profile that the schools don't like the look it gives them when there is crowd trouble... That is my perception anyway. They are not that bothered about how it inconveniences everyone else, they are just protecting themselves.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The loutish behaviour of the View old boys the last time that Joeys played there two years ago is probably the cause for bringing the game forward.

They'll probably be more more sober then and hopefully View will stop people drinking alcohol at the ground, unlike last time.

View finished over the top of the smaller Joeys lads in the trial game though it was fairly even at oranges. Unfortunately I expect the same to happen this time.

Typical Telegraph to print an article unfavourable to the union code, isn't it?

B

brewskie

The loutish behaviour of the View old boys the last time that Joeys played there two years ago is probably the cause for bringing the game forward.

They'll probably be more more sober then and hopefully View will stop people drinking alcohol at the ground, unlike last time.

View finished over the top of the smaller Joeys lads in the trial game though it was fairly even at oranges. Unfortunately I expect the same to happen this time.

Its near impossible to stop alcohol from coming in to the riverview grounds as unlike the joeys field in which there is only two entrances the riverview grounds can be entered from every direction

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)

Two years ago, the match was played at Joeys, and last year the cycle was broken when it was on at Joeys again, so it's at View this year...in my day, odd years saw games at Joeys...

So the incidents in past two years happened at Joeys not both at View and Joeys, but I am not excusing the behaviour of the ex-students at my old school at all...I do recollect in 2008, there was a great cause for concern when the match was at View, I was there that year as well as in 2009.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
With Joeys playing High and TAS this weekend and the HSC trials on joeys will send a team of year 11 and 10s to play TAS while the year 12s will play High

Status
Not open for further replies.