• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

College E

Bob McCowan (2)
SJC 1st are playing this Thursday against Cranleigh (UK) @ 3.45pm.

Cranleigh lost their 1st game against Victorian Schools 1st last week, 31 - 15. Half time: 7 - 5.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Nusadan - I forgot the change in the cycle.

I was just trying to explain why the headmaster scheduled the game to be early because of what happened at his school the last time the game was played there.

R

Rev Spooner

There was a huge brawl after the 2004 Terrace v Nudgee game up here in Brisbane and since then alcohol has been banned at all venues. Seems to have worked but there have been a few times when I've thought to myself, "Geez, I'd love a beer about now".

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
View Joeys to be played at 11:15am. As an old View boy and a keen supporter of schoolboy rugby I find this infuriating. This game is a highlight of the schoolboy calendar and playing it in the morning will decrease crowd numbers and atmosphere. Shane Hogan has no right to end such a long running tradition because of the actions of a few little shits from both schools.

I have mentioned this previously on this forum but I understand that the Schools are very concerned about this problem. If this earlier start doesn't work, the game will be taken to a stadium.

G

Good rugby fan

Why can't parents or old boys go, watch and enjoy the game with out alcohol. I thought most schools have banned alcohol until after the game, if they think starting a game at 11.15 will make a difference, then the decision makers haven't been to an early opener! I'm sure old boys have or they'll just make the night go that bit longer.
Enough now, what are the tips for this week?

S

sulidoror

...maybe that's the solution to the high problem.....sydney boys high/hills campus......

O

ON85

I have no affiliation with GPS Rugby but do follow the thread because I know many of the boys playing via club and rep rugby.

I agree it is terribly bad form to accuse referees of bias. Does not set a good example, and I think certain posts on this thread crossed the line from criticism to a more personal attack on somebodies integrity.

I was not at the game, am not a referee and have no GPS allegiance just think some of the statements are simply too much.

Just my opinion, I do enjoy the thread and appreciate the time and effort the various contributors make.

Cheers

The amount of uninformed rubbish published here about GPS referees in general and this 16A ref in particular is quite staggering. In the avalanche of criticism that this bloke has copped, not one of you has specifically outlined which decisions were incorrect and why? The closest we've come to any sort of rational observations was some general chat about the ref finding fault with one team whether defending or with the ball in hand. Absolutely no critique of his positioning, mobility, signals, communication, management etc. In the main I suspect because the critics, as is normally the case, have but a superficial knowledge of these things. Might it not be that visitors were I'll disciplined and lacked a maturity of technique? Have they, as many A teams still do in the GPS comp, found themselves with an average coach? Another teacher that would rather be otherwise engaged on a Saturday morning?

Hometown refs are an anachronism. Every ref I know at school level would rather be seen as fair and balanced, than be perceived as favoring the home team. If Joeys opponents were heavily penalized, then on balance, they probably deserved it. Volunteer refs get a raw deal every weekend from one or more unhappy parents, the paradox is that most of these blokes wouldn't know the laws if they were tattooed on their foreheads

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
The amount of uninformed rubbish published here about GPS referees in general and this 16A ref in particular is quite staggering. In the avalanche of criticism that this bloke has copped, not one of you has specifically outlined which decisions were incorrect and why? The closest we've come to any sort of rational observations was some general chat about the ref finding fault with one team whether defending or with the ball in hand. Absolutely no critique of his positioning, mobility, signals, communication, management etc. In the main I suspect because the critics, as is normally the case, have but a superficial knowledge of these things. Might it not be that visitors were I'll disciplined and lacked a maturity of technique? Have they, as many A teams still do in the GPS comp, found themselves with an average coach? Another teacher that would rather be otherwise engaged on a Saturday morning?

Hometown refs are an anachronism. Every ref I know at school level would rather be seen as fair and balanced, than be perceived as favoring the home team. If Joeys opponents were heavily penalized, then on balance, they probably deserved it. Volunteer refs get a raw deal every weekend from one or more unhappy parents, the paradox is that most of these blokes wouldn't know the laws if they were tattooed on their foreheads

Regretably the most "uninformed rubbish" on this topic are your above comments. If you were not at the game as it would appear you have no first hand knowledge of what occurred. As I have stated I have been watching junior rugby for 30+ years. I also held a referees ticket in my younger days and keep up to date with changes to rugby laws as they are implemented. I played the game until my mid 40s. My rugby knowledge is far from "superficial" and I stand by the comments in my previous posts.

As for the visiting team 'lacking a maturity of technique' by my reckoning it contains 8 boys who will be involved in the upcoming U16 National Championships representing either Schools, Sydney or Country with most of the remainder being a mixture of JGS and MWZ players - I doubt they would have achieved these levels if they were lacking in the technical maturity you allude to.

Your statement about the calibre of "A teams" coaches clearly indicates how out of touch you actually are. Any teacher coaching an U16A GPS, CAS, CHS, ISA, ACIES or CCC team etc is not only a rugby tragic but highly qualified in terms of both playing and coaching experience and qualifications. Having read your comments I made some enquiries with a Kings contact about their 16As coaches - all are former first grade players, one is a former Wallaby, another a former Sydney representative and the third a former Australian Schoolboys rep. All have also coached schoolboy rep teams.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
And while we are on the refs, someone should complain about the ref at the Grammar versus Riverview match. What a disgrace! Worst performance I've seen for over a decade of watching GPS rugby. Cost Grammar at least 60 points.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
And with that from Spewn it's time to call the imbroglio of the Joeys vs Kings 16A's ref performance to a close.

We've heard everyone's opinion at least twice

Rule 10 gentlemen. Move along pls

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Having read your comments I made some enquiries with a Kings contact about their 16As coaches - all are former first grade players, one is a former Wallaby, another a former Sydney representative and the third a former Australian Schoolboys rep. All have also coached schoolboy rep teams.

Nice comeback - indeed Kings seemingly have an abundance of coaching talent - likely they will also coach the 1stXV next year - Kings have a practice of forming potential championship teams at the 16A level and having the same coaches (Edgerton/Parry?? and one other) for three years.

O

ON85

View Joeys to be played at 11:15am. As an old View boy and a keen supporter of schoolboy rugby I find this infuriating. This game is a highlight of the schoolboy calendar and playing it in the morning will decrease crowd numbers and atmosphere. Shane Hogan has no right to end such a long running tradition because of the actions of a few little shits from both schools.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...test-rugby-brawl/story-e6freuzi-1226106254524

The Headmaster deserves congratulations for tackling this problem head on. It may not be a popular decision to those with a misguided notions about 'tradition', but it is positive and courageous first step in dismantling an absurd culture that has brought Riverview discredit over the last few seasons.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
The Headmaster deserves congratulations for tackling this problem head on. It may not be a popular decision to those with a misguided notions about 'tradition', but it is positive and courageous first step in dismantling an absurd culture that has brought Riverview discredit over the last few seasons.

Welcome to the forum ON85.

I agree the problem needs to be tackled head on but I hardly think that those old boys who feel that 'moving the time' have "misguided notions about tradition." It might seem like that to an outsider but since I was a kid I have looked forward to an afternoon watching the 3rds through to 1st's play in the afternoon sun with family and friends.

Moving the time will significantly decrease the crowd and the atmosphere, which is half of the allure to this game.

Those afternoons will be sorely missed, like many Australian Rugby fans miss the Wallaby afternoon rugby fixtures.

So what can they do? I think banning alcohol from the field is possible with increased security. They need to be smarter about where they stand, any old view boy an tell them where the guys are bringing the alcohol from. After a few years they can lax their searches of alcohol on the hill letting the parents have a glass of wine.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
They just need to employ more security and be tougher on who they let in and who they kick out. Every year there seems to be 10-20 security personel who just walk around and dont do anything untill a fight breaks out. If you see a group of blokes who are obviously drunk, dont wait untill they do something kick them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.