• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wowsah

Opl has had quite a few injuries this season - from the joeys game in the trial i know he had an injured back as during half time and other parts during the game he had it massaged, and now his knee. quite dissapointing on his behalf. but in my opinion this season he has been quite lucky to have progressed so far through the rep teams, ending up in the Australian A squad. he hasnt been of national quality in what i have seen him, and as a boy that big should have in some way displayed his strength and size more considerably. it seems to be tipping my mind that nowadays (in schoolboys that is) size has been a key factor in some and/or most representative selections. on opl's behalf, i think even he has been lucky to have progressed so far and that next year in which if he does play colts and grade, he will be highlighted as indeed a weakness as most guys would be around his size but with far better skills.

You could also add to that equation the threat of smaller lads, who possess great skill sets, who "catch up" in terms of size between the end of the GPS season and the beginning of their foray into colts/grade. There is a lot of spare time between Rugby for any outgoing boys. I'm sure everybody here has seen it happen on countless occasions over the years.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are there 2 Harrison Rosen's at SGS - i.e. the one who is the 1st XI goalkeeper and this one????

No, there appears to have been a mix up in the article. Unfortunately, some of the Grammar boys seem to have used the mistake to engage in what the Eastern Suburbs MILF patrol would quickly spill their free-trade, double soy mocha lattes over what they deem as cyber bullying.

R

random205

Right on Freddo. that's why schoolboy rugby is such a joy to watch, because the 'smaller' version of colts and grade is usually a lot quicker and more exciting to watch. you tend to see skills flourishing in schoolboy rugby, rather than big men hitting other big men and whoever bench presses and leg presses the most is in hindsight a better player. obviously the boys in schoolboy rugby with further develop their skills and confidence as they progress, and the skills that they developed at schoolboy level will come through futhermore as they fill their sleeves so to speak. i am in complete agreement with what you say in that the big guys of the younger grades (such as in opl's case) dont fully enhance their skills and how to tackle properly and run with a brain instead of just running over people. it is true that when most of these 'monsters' go to higher grades, they are highlighted out in effect as their basic skills of barging over people and smashing smaller guys dont work on guys just as big and strong as they are. i mean look at james o'connor - hes not exactly a big man and at schoolboy level was a standout, he was quick, allusive, but technical, aggressive and hardworking. i remember that tackle he put on pierre spies in the world cup last year in the quarter final, where the bigger and stronger man was put on the deck by the smaller and more intelligent figure of oconnor. shame he isnt playing at the moment.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No, there appears to have been a mix up in the article. Unfortunately, some of the Grammar boys seem to have used the mistake to engage in what the Eastern Suburbs MILF patrol would quickly spill their free-trade, double soy mocha lattes over what they deem as cyber bullying.
LOL - I thought that someone was having a lend of our correspondent!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
"I give you the tactical kicking-from-hand numbers. The Wallabies take an average 49 seconds of possession until Berrick’s kick reflex fires; for the Boks it’s only 35 seconds between demonstrations of Morne’s favourite pastime. This adds up to 24 kicks per match for the Wallabies (high) and 32 for South Africa (even bloody higher)."

I just read this, and my mates wonder why I'd rather watch a Joeys game.

Between the constant kicking, collapsed scrums, penalty goals ... it's frankly BORING.

One thing I have rated about Scots rugby of late, has been Horwitz ... I can barely recall seeing that kid kick. He seems to want to run it from where ever they are ... inside the 22, wherever.

What Rugby needs is a Kerry Packer to shake things up ... piss off the 3 points for penalties, widen the field, change rules to reduce teritorial kicking, ban penalty kicks at goal from outside of 22m, etc

Then in might entertain again, like GPS rugby.

Go Manly!
Go Joeys .... or Shore ... if they play an entertaining brand of rugby .....
Go Raiders ... and watch the boy from Temora ... future star ... josh McCrone ..

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Would the mad scientist style of coach really survive in a schoolboy environment?
I reckon you have to give it to whoever is responsible for the fact that every kid in every team at Joeys has a fairly good idea of what they are trying to do: that's the way rugby should be coached.
Every school's rugby fluctuates year to year but joeys fluctuate in the narrowest band.
If everyone did what they do we'd be better at every level of the game: I dips me lid!

Accordingly, if faced with you dilemma I would always watch Joeys - hell I'd watch them on a bye if I could.
I tried watching them on the bye, but Lee Grant wanted a match report

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Opl has had quite a few injuries this season - from the joeys game in the trial i know he had an injured back as during half time and other parts during the game he had it massaged, and now his knee. quite dissapointing on his behalf. but in my opinion this season he has been quite lucky to have progressed so far through the rep teams, ending up in the Australian A squad. he hasnt been of national quality in what i have seen him, and as a boy that big should have in some way displayed his strength and size more considerably. it seems to be tipping my mind that nowadays (in schoolboys that is) size has been a key factor in some and/or most representative selections. on opl's behalf, i think even he has been lucky to have progressed so far and that next year in which if he does play colts and grade, he will be highlighted as indeed a weakness as most guys would be around his size but with far better skills.
Et tu Random?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For some reason it has ended up on GPS 2013 thread.

It has got down to the level of discussion on whether a certain family are paying fees or not for TKS education/TKS rugby education.

At that level, I think it is getting a little too creepy for me, (or if I would be if I was part of the family) and am not entirely convinced think there really should be open debate/disclosure about individual and named family circumstances on an open forum such as this.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sounds like a bit of drama re Kings and some of their players.

I know with my son, I like to remind him of Sir Brian Lochore, ''Better men make better All Blacks'' (see below Peter Fitzsimmons article ... which I think is a good one)

so you need to think through these decisions, and I guess do what you think is the right thing

I know at my son's Year 7 interview the headmaster made it very clear that school rugby takes precedence over his Sunday rugby league .... thankfully it hasn't been an issue, but I do get the strong allegiances to kids you have played with since age #, but also the commitment you make to any team

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fitz-files/humbled-on-the-pitch-heroes-on-the-beach-20110722-1hsoh.html#ixzz25lVDzlka

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There is a lot more to this than meets the eye. The clues are buried in other threads. To imply that things have not been thought through is uninformed patronizing speculation.
The subject should be dropped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
Joeys V Shore looks like the pick of the games to watch tomorrow. Any hope that Shore might win at Hunters Hill? Good effort last week from them against Newington.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Is there anybody going to the Riverview v Newington game that can do a match report for a blog - and anybody who can take a few photos? (Could be the same person).

Help !!!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
,,,...if I was part of the family) and am not entirely convinced think there really should be open debate/disclosure about individual and named family circumstances on an open forum such as this.

As one who knows Mr and Master, and spoke to them last weekend, I agree. Any more discussion on the matter is not recommended.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
basing on newington's performance and there undefeated streak in the GPS season, i am hoping a repeat of the 2010 final game where Newington took out the premiership and championship in spectacular form and renewed their competitive spirit towards the 'powerhouses' of rugby so to speak.

Special mention to all the year 12s playing their last GPS games (unless doing pathways) for their school.

Play hard.

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
Today's predictions
Riverview vs. Newington
Newington look to close out an outright premiership, with View relishing the chance to claim that they beat the premiers and restore some pride. I always say beware of the wounded bull, but Riverview's injuries are too great I feel. They needed their bye 4 weeks ago. Riverview to put more pressure on Newington than some may predict in the early stages, but Newington's forwards to slowly gain the ascendency and then shift it to Moeroa, Milne and Vlahos to win by 20.

Joeys vs. Shore
Both teams with a lot to prove and this traditional match should produce a fantastic encounter. Shore have picked themselves up after last weeks heartbreaking loss and will take the Joeys forwards head on. For Shore to win they need to set good pillars and posts to stop the Joeys pick and drive. I think the low-tackling defensive style should be able to contain the Joeys backline. Shore will need to get it out wide once they've got forward momentum, that is where they have enjoyed most of their try scoring success in recent weeks. Joeys to be aggressive at the break down, that's where Scots were able to beat Shore two weeks ago and the reason last weeks match was so tight was because Shore improved their commitment in this area. Shore to win in the final stages in a high scoring game.

Kings vs. Scots
This match will be similar to the Newington Riverview match. Kings will really lift at home for their last game, but with a bad injury toll to key players Scots will win in the end as they look to win for any chance of a premiership. Scots play smart rugby, they have a pack that lacks in size but has great mobility. If Kings are to have any chance they will need to have great line speed in the centres. Scots shift it from side to side every 2nd or 3rd phase. They are able to do this because backlines are scared to rush up on Kellaway and Stewart in fear of being stepped. Their oppsoing pack becomes tired very quickly. Scots to win by 20 unless Kings is able to maintain good line speed throughout the match which would shut down the Scots machine.

Good luck to all teams, I hope everyone enjoys their last match of the season and that there are no serious injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.