• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
shore have really under-acheived over the years

other than some 2nds comp wins back in the 80s, they have failed to use their depth

not sure if it the culture or the coaching or something else

I know Shore will probably rightly say they don't buy rep players

I think it might be politics, as

if memory serves me those wins in the 80s were care of Chris Hawkins

and I cannot work out how a future Waratahs coach wasn't allowed to coach the 1sts!

oh well with Neville Emery's grand-son coming through, it will be interesting to see if Shore can get their act together
Tim Wallace?....knows his stuff

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
shore have really under-acheived over the years

other than some 2nds comp wins back in the 80s, they have failed to use their depth

not sure if it the culture or the coaching or something else

I know Shore will probably rightly say they don't buy rep players

I think it might be politics, as

if memory serves me those wins in the 80s were care of Chris Hawkins

and I cannot work out how a future Waratahs coach wasn't allowed to coach the 1sts!

oh well with Neville Emery's grand-son coming through, it will be interesting to see if Shore can get their act together

I was at uni (UNE) at the time and was friends with a number of Shore boys. They more or less support what you have said that Politics at Shore influenced selections. Their belief was that the then Headmaster ( the late Jikia Travers ) had his favourities and selections were made accordingly. I was only recently talking to Newington parent, but an Old Boy of Shore, who stated that with issues of discipline, similar favouring existed within the school during this period. And he was quite bitter about this attitude and expressed his attitude to this Headmaster at an Old Boys meeting some years later. Apparently amongst Shore players of the time, a saying existed if you were dropped from the 1st XV " promoted to 2nd XV" In 1978 Shore 2nd XV easily won the 2nds Comp, undefeated in 17 games. Many observers were saying that the 2nXV forward pack was much stronger than the 1stXV. The 1stXV in 1978 only won two games and had a draw in the GPS round.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was at uni (UNE) at the time and was friends with a number of Shore boys. They more or less support what you have said that Politics at Shore influenced selections. Their belief was that the then Headmaster ( the late Jikia Travers ) had his favourities and selections were made accordingly. I was only recently talking to Newington parent, but an Old Boy of Shore, who stated that with issues of discipline, similar favouring existed within the school during this period. And he was quite bitter about this attitude and expressed his attitude to this Headmaster at an Old Boys meeting some years later. Apparently amongst Shore players of the time, a saying existed if you were dropped from the 1st XV " promoted to 2nd XV" In 1978 Shore 2nd XV easily won the 2nds Comp, undefeated in 17 games. Many observers were saying that the 2nXV forward pack was much stronger than the 1stXV. The 1stXV in 1978 only won two games and had a draw in the GPS round.
I had the misfortune to be in one of shore's wins that year.
The 5/8 was the younger brother of one of the greats and may not have been there entirely on talent.
Still too good for us!
Al Miller more recently would be at least as knowledgeable as Tim Wallace.

S

Sydneybra

In the Newington/Shore Game Oscar Pryor Lees left the field in the first half and appeared to be in a great deal of pain. I wondering if any New Supporters know his status. It would be a pity for Oscar to miss his last game ever playing for Newington.

Dislocated knee, out for 4 weeks and should be good to go against NZ, and updates on H. Rorke?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^

Is it just me or has this year seen an unusually high number of knee injuries at all levels of Rugby from Bam Bam and Battleship etc at International level down into 1st XV's?

Agent

Bill Watson (15)

My old man tells a story from when he was at Shore in the 60's. He was in the 3rd's and they played a mid week game against the Jika coached 1st's (full of his mates sons) and the 3rds beat the 1st's.

All this said - that was 50 years ago and I'm sure the rugby program at Shore has changed considerably since then.

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)

Nepotism exists if not thrives at most GPS school in many selection areas such as in sport, academia, leadership positions etc - just ask the boys and they will generally let you know when the universal thought amongst many of them is that a selection in a specific area is totally undeserving etc

In regards to rugby I'm sure that there are plenty of stories to be told about the make up current first XVs where boys and parents scratch their heads every Saturday in general consensus about young Billy playing in the 1sts ahead of Freddy who performance wise is a much better player but who is in in the 2nds because Billy........or that Freddy has to play out of position to accommodate Billy because...... Perhaps one of the best lessons to be learned at a GPS school is the power of influence in life.

E

earl

Something interesting to note is the significant presence of many younger boys in the Shore 1st XV this year, particularly in critical roles (15. Nic Clancy, 10. Jack Clancy, 7. Jum Woodhill - all U16 players). Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems different to past years where Shore 1sts would largely be year 12 boys and a few year 11s. Maybe this change and acceptance of the ability of younger boys has helped attribute to the turnaround this year

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
Something interesting to note is the significant presence of many younger boys in the Shore 1st XV this year, particularly in critical roles (15. Nic Clancy, 10. Jack Clancy, 7. Jum Woodhill - all U16 players). Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems different to past years where Shore 1sts would largely be year 12 boys and a few year 11s. Maybe this change and acceptance of the ability of younger boys has helped attribute to the turnaround this year
The only player in recent years to of made the 1sts in year 10 was Jock Merriman. It's not necessarily that Shore didn't appreciate the ability of younger boys in past years, it's more the fact that Shore has been blessed with a remarkable group of 16s players this year. On top of the three players you mention 9. Emery and 5. Lucas play in the 2nds and have both also played in the 1sts this year. They were all selected for the Sydney teams as well as 5 other boys from the 16a's. Shows promise for the future. The 16s will have a larger influence in Shore's 1sts next year than the current 17s age group!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A very windy day down at Weigall greeted a good crowd for the second last game of the season between Sydney Grammar School and The Scots College. Grammar’s old boys were out in force and the Father’s Day Raffle was popular. Grammar 5 – Scots 114 One wondered what was in store during the Seconds’

Click this link to read the full article.
Are there 2 Harrison Rosen's at SGS - i.e. the one who is the 1st XI goalkeeper and this one????

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any teams for weekend? Can't work out whether to see Joeys/Shore game or Newington/View. Leaning towards Joeys.

Curious to know what the consensus is re the best schoolboy coaches going around. [As opposed to the best buyers of talent]

Must say the St Augustines blokes seem "top of the pops", but they are definitely buying in talent ...

And then in the mix you have the Scots bunch, Newington and Brother Boyd.

I was interested to see some posts suggesting some pressure on Boyd, who is probably who I'd rate the best.

None of these coaches are like the Mad Scientist (Des Hasler) ... which is one of reasons I rated Chris Hawkins

Then again good coaches come in all sorts of moulds .... and there will be some good match ups both in League and Schoolboy Union this weekend :confused:

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Any teams for weekend? Can't work out whether to see Joeys/Shore game or Newington/View. Leaning towards Joeys.

Curious to know what the consensus is re the best schoolboy coaches going around. [As opposed to the best buyers of talent]

Must say the St Augustines blokes seem "top of the pops", but they are definitely buying in talent .

And then in the mix you have the Scots bunch, Newington and Brother Boyd.

I was interested to see some posts suggesting some pressure on Boyd, who is probably who I'd rate the best.

None of these coaches are like the Mad Scientist (Des Hasler) . which is one of reasons I rated Chris Hawkins

Then again good coaches come in all sorts of moulds .. and there will be some good match ups both in League and Schoolboy Union this weekend :confused:

Would the mad scientist style of coach really survive in a schoolboy environment?
I reckon you have to give it to whoever is responsible for the fact that every kid in every team at Joeys has a fairly good idea of what they are trying to do: that's the way rugby should be coached.
Every school's rugby fluctuates year to year but joeys fluctuate in the narrowest band.
If everyone did what they do we'd be better at every level of the game: I dips me lid!

Accordingly, if faced with you dilemma I would always watch Joeys - hell I'd watch them on a bye if I could.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Inside Shoulder,

The merits of The Bye's performance this season have been well documented several pages back in this thread. It has got to the point where even the parents of the players don't even seem movitated to watch teams up against The Bye. I feel that you would be quite lonely at a Joeys vs The Bye match.

Unfortunately I feel that their future is inextricably linked with that of Grammar. If they manage to stay in 1st XV competition, then I reckon the AAGPS powerbrokers will retain The Bye, despite their very poor record on the scoreboard. If Grammer drop, then I can see no reason that they would want The Bye to remain in 1st XV competitions.

R

random205

Dislocated knee, out for 4 weeks and should be good to go against NZ, and updates on H. Rorke?
Opl has had quite a few injuries this season - from the joeys game in the trial i know he had an injured back as during half time and other parts during the game he had it massaged, and now his knee. quite dissapointing on his behalf. but in my opinion this season he has been quite lucky to have progressed so far through the rep teams, ending up in the Australian A squad. he hasnt been of national quality in what i have seen him, and as a boy that big should have in some way displayed his strength and size more considerably. it seems to be tipping my mind that nowadays (in schoolboys that is) size has been a key factor in some and/or most representative selections. on opl's behalf, i think even he has been lucky to have progressed so far and that next year in which if he does play colts and grade, he will be highlighted as indeed a weakness as most guys would be around his size but with far better skills.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
Totally agree random. I think it's actually a real benefit to boys if they grow later on, or at a slower pace. The boys who are enormous for their age in U14's get lots of glory early on in the piece, and at least in part their advantage is simply size - they bulldoze their way through the opposition, and are very difficult to tackle when the tackling is being done by boys half their weight. I don't doubt they sometimes have real talent, but it rarely gets utilized because weight alone is often enough. It's easy for them to get complacent.
In contrast, the smaller boys in the U14's etc.. have to develop real skill and tactics in order to overcome those massive units, and by the time they've done their growing, the weight differential is small but often the skill differential is considerable. Obviously growth and size is almost entirely up to genetics, but while everyone lauds the big boys, I reckon the little guys have this going in their favour in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.