• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I saw/heard enough mate.
I do not doubt their effort and commitment for a second they are just not at the same level as some of the other teams. I understand your annoyance as Shore win a premiership every blue moon.

Depending on your interpretion of the definition of a Blue Moon, look up in the sky at the Blue Moon.

The next one isn't due until 2015.

John Dale

Frank Nicholson (4)
Depending on your interpretion of the definition of a Blue Moon, look up in the sky at the Blue Moon.

The next one isn't due until 2015.
Could be fate, but I doubt it Hugh. As a GPS enthusiast for the past 9 years I always find that shore have the forwards, but are always outmatched in the backs. My honest opinion is that this year was no different.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Word along the grape vine is an Under 17's Australian Junior Rugby Team to be selected from Vic, ACT, NSW and QLD

Anyone from GPS interested in trying out for the Australian Under 17's team?

I guess Jones (Kings) would probably be keen. There would have to be several others from Sydney GPS schools who would be shoe-ins for this squad, if it actually existed.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I saw/heard enough mate.
I do not doubt their effort and commitment for a second they are just not at the same level as some of the other teams. I understand your annoyance as Shore win a premiership every blue moon.

I think you are being a bit hard on them JD! some teams rely on their talent to get results (e.g. Scots) whereas others may lack talent and rely on drive and determination to get them through, such as in Shore's case. Just because it is this that is driving them doesn't make them inferior to the teams stacked with the 'star' players.

Anyway, from what I saw on Saturday, I would now expect Scots to beat Kings (who were clearly struggling without their stars) and Joeys to be too strong for Shore. Assuming Newington beat View, this would result in the following final ladder:

1. Newington..14
2. Scots..12
3. Joeys..10
4. Shore..8
5. Kings..6
6. View..4
7. Grammar..2

I think that ranking of the teams is an appropriate outcome for this season.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think you are being a bit hard on them JD! some teams rely on their talent to get results (e.g. Scots) whereas others may lack talent and rely on drive and determination to get them through, such as in Shore's case. Just because it is this that is driving them doesn't make them inferior to the teams stacked with the 'star' players.

Anyway, from what I saw on Saturday, I would now expect Scots to beat Kings (who were clearly struggling without their stars) and Joeys to be too strong for Shore. Assuming Newington beat View, this would result in the following final ladder:

1. Newington..14
2. Scots..12
3. Joeys..10
4. Shore..8
5. Kings..6
6. View..4
7. Grammar..2

I think that ranking of the teams is an appropriate outcome for this season.
IIRC no way were shore being talked about as finishing ahead of kings and view: so it's better than expected for them, kings continue to struggle despite appearing to have the cattle and view have promised a lot for 100 years plus - have they caught up to gramma'rs premiership haul yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J

Jack Connor

I think Saturday's game against Scots really epitomised Grammar's never-say-die attitude which is something they can be proud of. Down 107-0 with 10mins to go, the Grammar side got into a huddle and picked themselves up despite being in such a demoralising position on the scoreboard. To be able to still have the heart and attitude to score a try against Scots from that position was an amazing thing to watch. The joy on the faces of the 15 boys i think shows that it will be a moment none of those boys will ever forget. Even though Grammar has not come away with the season that they hoped for in the GPS competition, these boys that went through this season should be immensely proud of their efforts and I cannot commend them enough on their attitude. Bravo.

G

gilbert15

as this years comp is not going to end in a final matchup with two top teams ,on the same points, playing against eachother in the final round (very rarely happens)
Maybe we should go out and support Grammar vs High @ McKay............Match of the round !!

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
as this years comp is not going to end in a final matchup with two top teams ,on the same points, playing against eachother in the final round (very rarely happens)
Maybe we should go out and support Grammar vs High @ McKay....Match of the round !!

Well, in all seriousness, it could be a fun match to watch. Grammar will want to paste high, and the High boys usually get up for this one. And if you like bust-ups, there usually seems to be one during they day.

P.S. If anyone actually is seriously considering attending, the match is at Weigall, not McKay; there have been issues with the pitch (apparently)? Somewhat ironic considering the state of Weigall based on what I saw on Saturday. It's Back to Weigall Day for the Old Boys, so there should be a good crowd there.

Also; what is everyone hoping for on Saturday and what do we expect to happen on Saturday. For the sake of outright premierships, I both hope for and expect a Newington victory to seal the deal.

G

gilbert15

Not GPS but there is a connection, just checked the SJRU.Budda site. Jones'Newport team won 33-10 (10 all 1/2 time) the team list is interesting, two Aussie school boys, Phillips & Jones, 5or6 St.Augies, recent Warrata shield winners and I think 2 Barker 1st xv premiers....handy team!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CAS and ISA Schools tend to be a little more "flexible" in relation to players playing for School and club, even if they are 1st XV.

CHS and CCC often have no choice but to play for club, some ending up in Colts grades rather than juniors.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
kings continue to struggle despite appearing to have the cattle

This is the real surprise of the season as they had so many rep players. They beat Scots at Bellevue Hill by over 40 points in the last trial match but went downhill after that losing away at Shore and also losing at home to Newington and Joeys. Any explanation for their form? From earlier posts injury may have played a part in it?

Weekend tips:
Riverview to upset Newington
Joeys to beat Shore
Grammar over High
Scots to win at Kings and grab a share of the title!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is the real surprise of the season as they had so many rep players. They beat Scots at Bellevue Hill by over 40 points in the last trial match but went downhill after that losing away at Shore and also losing at home to Newington and Joeys. Any explanation for their form? From earlier posts injury may have played a part in it?

Weekend tips:
Joeys to beat Shore
Grammar over High
I saw the scots game and have not seen them since - I was moved to say that whoever beat them would win the comp: shore beat them the next week.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Asking both King's and View's players after the 1st Round it seems each teams' Aussie Schoolstars (3 & 4 respectively) thought they just had to run on and as they say "the rest is history". Also the non schoolstars ran around waiting for the stars to do their thing. Suffice-to-say the stars were just "fizzers" in believing their own hype.

Which reinforces The REF 94 in his detailed match report "NSW GPS: Newington win a thriller" about the dignity of the NEW team! [http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nsw-gps-newington-win-a-thriller/]

S

Sydneybra

Weekend tips:
Joeys to beat Shore
Grammar over High

Trying to keep your hopes alive for Scots sake? Can't see New loosing from here

S

Sydneybra

You have to feel for Harry Rorke if this injury keeps him out for the upcoming Aussie tests. It would be his 2nd year in a row being injured during the Australian side plays the NZ side, devastating for the young fellow

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
feeling this should be said again, do u think that its appropriate to notice that both schools that the most Aus. schoolboy representatives have 'fallen behind' so to speak and not preformed well enough respectively in their GPS teams and/or got injured due to the amount of gameplay and training they have been given?? If Newington had the amount of reps as Riverview, i wonder if things would've changed and their current position in the competition being changed, such is for Riverview who is coming 6th i think??

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not GPS but there is a connection, just checked the SJRU.Budda site. Jones'Newport team won 33-10 (10 all 1/2 time) the team list is interesting, two Aussie school boys, Phillips & Jones, 5or6 St.Augies, recent Warrata shield winners and I think 2 Barker 1st xv premiers..handy team!
how about the grammar connection - shows how far we've fallen!
Both phillip and jones fathers went to SGS as did the coach, who was a long term 1st grader at Warringah!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G

G&GR News Bot

A very windy day down at Weigall greeted a good crowd for the second last game of the season between Sydney Grammar School and The Scots College. Grammar’s old boys were out in force and the Father’s Day Raffle was popular. Grammar 5 – Scots 114 One wondered what was in store during the Seconds’

Click this link to read the full article...

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
feeling this should be said again, do u think that its appropriate to notice that both schools that the most Aus. schoolboy representatives have 'fallen behind' so to speak and not preformed well enough respectively in their GPS teams and/or got injured due to the amount of gameplay and training they have been given?? If Newington had the amount of reps as Riverview, i wonder if things would've changed and their current position in the competition being changed, such is for Riverview who is coming 6th i think??

There workload was minimal when you compare these schoolboys to Colts (1+ yrs older) players. GPS 1st XV + Schoolboy players would have played max 8 trial games+6 comp games. The rep season for them is over 2 separate weeks when school footy was not scheduled so no issue. Compared to 30 or so in Club (incl trials). At the extreme, by comparison, was the best 2 club and state teams' players in the U15s last year that played 53 comp games (club, state, reps, school) as well as training for 3 teams in the peak rep period!

Losing the first one or 2 matches of the comp was the issue for Kings and Riverview. After all the hype of "premiership favourites" these team's were lulled into their own hype. It seems the Kings and Riverview Aussie Schoolstars (3 & 4 respectively) thought they just had to run on and as they say "the rest is history". Also the non schoolstars ran around waiting for the stars to do their thing. Suffice-to-say the stars were just "fizzers" in believing their own hype.

Which reinforces The REF 94 in his detailed match report "NSW GPS: Newington win a thriller" about the dignity of the NEW team! This lads kept their minds on the job. I am sure they may have been bewildered in not getting more players into the respective rep teams but this would have reinforced the resolve to play with focus and determination.

Status
Not open for further replies.