• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wowsah

Any actual match reports from new v shore? Didn't make the game. Would love to know how it went down.

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
Joeys Firsts 29 to Kings 8

I travelled out to North Parramatta to watch this one. Very big crowd there. It was a fairly even first half although Joeys had the greater amount of possession but blew some opportunities. They should have lead by more than 5-3 at half time. Joeys forwards lifted the intensity of the game in the second half and Kings responded poorly. Plenty of picking and driving and ruthless play at the breakdown as well as a front row that just demolished their Kings counterparts in the scrums saw Joeys pack dominate all aspects of play. Their backs benefited from this and put plenty of points on a Kings side that was constantly going backwards. Final result was a 5 tries to 1 victory for Joeys and their best game of the season in my opinion. James Kane the u16As player Kings brought up to play on the wing struggled with the transition to firsts rugby. He was beaten 3 times one on one by Joeys Josh Wilde who scored twice from his missed tackles.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Grammar's 2's played probably the lost entertaining game of rugby I've seen all year; lots of wide play, trickery and kicking. Great game to watch,both sides should be very happy with themselves. Gave a bit of hope before the unfortunate 1sts result. Interesting in that I do believe that despite the score line, they played better in this game than they did against Kings. Good in patches, but just physically and mentally overwhelmed; they looked scared to pick the ball up a few times. I fear that's the last time we will see a Grammar 1sts side play GPS 1sts opposition for a while. Good to see the fans never stopped cheering, and a touching moment to see the joy on the boys' faces after the try, only trumped by the disgust on the faces of the Scots boys.
I think the 16's think they'll be there

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think the 16's think they'll be there

And one would hope their given the chance; they've performed incredibly well this year through the loss of about 5 backs and 3 forwards, stretching the depth of an age group that's quite thin. Time will tell what happens; I at least hope those kids know there really isn't a whole lot more they could have done to prove themselves.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Kings struggled without some of their best players: Oz schoolboys Foketi and Jones - and flyhalf Tulloch, who I rate highly. If somebody like big bopper fullback Tourish made a break for them, the supports would invariably struggle to exploit it.

Joeys were stronger in the scrums as expected, had the edge at the breakdowns and were generally more persistent. In the first half the backs could not use the good ball because they lacked deception, one of their bugbears this year. It would have been better for them had the forwards retained the ball more.

There was much poor rugby from both teams the 1st half and the score was just 5-3 to Joeys at oranges. This was a poor return for the visitors playing with the wind but they had fluffed some try scoring opportunities and it was their own fault.

But Joeys hit their straps after the break and had Kings on their heels repeatedly. In that environment the Joeys backs blossomed: 10. Deegan had his best game of the year, often attracting defenders by offloading just before the tackle, and whenever 13. Barclay or 14. Wilde got the pill they threatened.

It's hardly pertinent to name individual Joeys' forwards because their best rugby in 2012 has come from their work as a pack. That said, they were well led by skipper 7. Murphy, who had his best game of the year, and 8. Watts played a tough game typified by scoring a bullocking individual try as he fended off tacklers, or ran through them.

For Kings, 15. Tourish was difficult to put to ground on every carry and 12. Davies was always dangerous. In the forwards I thought that their try scorer 5. Matson played a very tough game and skipper 7. Randell was pain in the backside all afternoon.

Before the match both teams would have hoped to finish the season off strongly after some indifferent performances - and Kings would have been confident with two home games, to do so. But it was the visitors who stepped up to play their best rugby of the year in the 2nd half, and to get a well-earned 5 tries to 1 victory.

[PS Joeys won the Twos and Threes games.]

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And one would hope their given the chance; they've performed incredibly well this year through the loss of about 5 backs and 3 forwards, stretching the depth of an age group that's quite thin. Time will tell what happens; I at least hope those kids know there really isn't a whole lot more they could have done to prove themselves.
I got the impression you didn't think they'd be there next year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
I got the impression you didn't think they'd be there next year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pardon me, that may have been a bit unclear. I hope, I really do, that they and the year above are rewarded for their hard work with a chance to play Sydney's best next year in the GPS 1sts competition. Unfortunately, I believe this will finally be the point that the GPS or the school pulls the plug.

So I hope they play 1sts next year, but I don't think they will be.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pardon me, that may have been a bit unclear. I hope, I really do, that they and the year above are rewarded for their hard work with a chance to play Sydney's best next year in the GPS 1sts competition. Unfortunately, I believe this will finally be the point that the GPS or the school pulls the plug.

So I hope they play 1sts next year, but I don't think they will be.
You're evidently reasonably close to them: I gather any withdrawal would be school imposed because form what you say the boys themselves want to play - correct?
If so do you see there being a "debate" (to the extent that SGS debates anything with its stakeholders - not necessarily a bad way to run a school since they are the educators) about their participation or will it be imposed? I seem to recall that a similar "debate" was held about 12 months ago - in retrospect, which is a wonderful thing, the 2013 opens might have had a better easier case if the school had stood firm in relation to this year.
One thing that should not happen is for the school management (i.e. not the pupils) to try and blame lack of scoreboard success on the asserted importation of players at other schools.
Of course - for the wider audience - if grammar do not compete in 1s it either creates a second bye - not a good development - or gives rise to a 2 round comp (favoured by many). The question it poses across the age groups is whether they can continue to play any of their GPS contemparies and, if not, where can they go? On present indications they would get something of a hiding in ISA?
This is, in my opinion, potentially the thin end of the wedge for both GPS sport and Oz rugby.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
May I just say as a Newington Supporter, it was amazing to see that talent Joey Lussick score the penalty goal right near the end of the match and setting up the 2012 premiership for Newington along the way. Not seeing any rugby premierships in the time i was at school and to now go back to Newington and now seeing a greatly formed 1st XV who instead of losing 50-0 or more when joeys play on Newington's Biggest day 'Back to Newington Day' , now give it back to the 'Powerhouses' of rugby and now are stealing victories from them.

On another note I should give immense gratitude to the Shore 1st XV who showed a great amount of heart and determination to nearly snatch and create the biggest upset of the 2012 GPS competition, both teams displayed a great amount of sportsmanship along the way, which created such an electrifying game and one that I will certainly remember and never forget.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I travelled out to North Parramatta to watch this one. Very big crowd there. It was a fairly even first half although Joeys had the greater amount of possession but blew some opportunities. They should have lead by more than 5-3 at half time. Joeys forwards lifted the intensity of the game in the second half and Kings responded poorly. Plenty of picking and driving and ruthless play at the breakdown as well as a front row that just demolished their Kings counterparts in the scrums saw Joeys pack dominate all aspects of play. Their backs benefited from this and put plenty of points on a Kings side that was constantly going backwards. Final result was a 5 tries to 1 victory for Joeys and their best game of the season in my opinion. James Kane the u16As player Kings brought up to play on the wing struggled with the transition to firsts rugby. He was beaten 3 times one on one by Joeys Josh Wilde who scored twice from his missed tackles.

The Kings boys never stopped trying but I think that their big defensive effort in the first half where they gamefully repelled Joeys multitude of attacks took a toll on them as the game wore on.The fact that they were missing Foketi, Tulloch and Jones from their backline also robbed them of some direction and attacking spark.

You are spot on about the amount of possession Joeys had in the first half and most of it was inside Kings 22. It was only Kings spirited defence and to a lesser degree the lack of penetration from Joeys backs that saw the half time score restricted to 5-3.

Interestingly Joeys backs played a lot better in the second half running into the reasonably strong breeze. It was their forwards however that provided them with the opportunities to score. Joeys never cease to impress with their capacity and willingness to pick and drive from anywhere on the field. They do it off their own line, inside their 22m, in the middle of the field - from all over the place - and they do it so well - in numbers and with plenty of speed and aggression. They seem to prefer this tighter style of forward attack over having pods take the ball up wider of the ruck where ball runners can often be easy targets for a well set defence.

The end result of Joeys constant and speedy picking and driving is the maintenance of possession for multiple phases and their opponents being continually sucked in and left back pedalling which provides plenty of fodder for subsequent attacking raids out wide. Newington have played a very similar style this year as to a lesser degree have Shore and both these teams have had successful seasons. Joeys deserved their victory on the day and one wonders where they would be placed on the ladder if they'd played like they did in the second half in previous rounds.

A very entertaining game in the seconds between two unbeaten sides where the winner was was going to be in the box seat to take the 2012 premiership crown. Kings lead from shortly after the kick off (including 23-12 at half time) until the last 10 minutes when Joeys scored from a charge down to take the lead 26-23 for the first time in the match. They went on to post another try winning 31-23 which now puts them one point ahead of Kings in the premiership race. Kings are still a chance for the seconds title if they defeat Scots at home next weekend but would need to rely on Shore winning away at Joeys which is a big ask on any occasion.

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
It was their forwards however that provided them with the opportunities to score. Joeys never cease to impress with their capacity and willingness to pick and drive from anywhere on the field. They do it off their own line, inside their 22m, in the middle of the field - from all over the place - and they do it so well - in numbers and with plenty of speed and aggression. They seem to prefer this tighter style of forward attack over having pods take the ball up wider of the ruck where ball runners can often be easy targets for a well set defence.

The end result of Joeys constant and speedy picking and driving is the maintenance of possession for multiple phases and their opponents being continually sucked in and left back pedalling which provides plenty of fodder for subsequent attacking raids out wide. Newington have played a very similar style this year as to a lesser degree have Shore and both these teams have had successful seasons. Joeys deserved their victory on the day and one wonders where they would be placed on the ladder if they'd played like they did in the second half in previous rounds.

You have made some good points here. Joeys have played with the same style throughout the year but perhaps not as good as they did yesterday. In my opinion their problem this season has been their lack of size in the forwards. There is no lack of heart just lack of size. Their away game against Newington was a good example of this as they were all over Newington in the 1st half but got steamrolled by the much bigger Newington forwards in the 2nd half. I didn't see their game against Scots but from what I have been told Scots have reasonably big forwards as well. Yesterday Joeys played a side that were similar sized up front and they just outplayed them. Looking ahead to 2013 there are some decent sized forwards in the seconds and thirds which might fix this problem as long as those players can step up to the firsts level. One thing I did see yesterday which is a concern for next year was Joeys seconds scrum which was really dominated by Kings up front who were continually driving them backwards. Kings tight head (the one wearing light blue headgear) did a real number on our loose head Hardy who was under pressure all game and collapsed the scrum a number of times. With Tom Robertson moving on after this season some work will need to be done to provide Matthew Sandell with a front row partner for next year.

John Dale

Frank Nicholson (4)
Shore are an average team, but from what I have seen it is the effort and commitment that they play with consistently that keeps them in the competition.
Shore to struggle against Joeys.
I think the Shore supporters got a bit carried away with an easy start to the season.
Never saw Shore as a real premiership threat.

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
Shore are an average team, but from what I have seen it is the effort and commitment that they play with consistently that keeps them in the competition.
I think the Shore supporters got a bit carried away with an easy start to the season.
They were outclassed against Scots but i'm sure everyone at the game yesterday would agree that they easily could have won. Neither team deserved to lose but they were inches away from a victory. And don't forget that when they beat Kings, Kings were equal favourites with Newington. Us Shore supporters definately got excited, but rightly so, we were playing good footy. Newington are deserving premiers for me and I hope they perform against next week.

John Dale

Frank Nicholson (4)
They were outclassed against Scots but i'm sure everyone at the game yesterday would agree that they easily could have won. Neither team deserved to lose but they were inches away from a victory. And don't forget that when they beat Kings, Kings were equal favourites with Newington. Us Shore supporters definately got excited, but rightly so, we were playing good footy. Newington are deserving premiers for me and I hope they perform against next week.

You make a fair point. However there were various games this year where the losing team 'easily could have won'.
Riverview who are the supposed 'dud' team of 2012 could have easily won there games against Scots and Shore. Both ending in being held up over the line numerously.
My original point being that Shore did have a great start to the season but after Riverview were going to struggle to win a game, where as everyone else thought they were 'a special group' and 'could go all the way'. Realistically after watching there game against View it was easy to tell they were an obvious level below Newington Scots and Grammar.

W

Wowsah

You speculated, as does everyone else on here. The difference between you being right, or wrong, was 3 points. As the ref pointed out, they defeated the early favourites. They played very good football. They are hardly an average team. How many games did you see?`

B

BKR4

Not seeing any rugby premierships in the time i was at school and to now go back to Newington and now seeing a greatly formed 1st XV who instead of losing 50-0 or more when joeys play on Newington's Biggest day 'Back to Newington Day' , now give it back to the 'Powerhouses' of rugby and now are stealing victories from them.

What do you mean by a greatly formed 1st XV, bit ironic wouldn't you say?

mark7

Stan Wickham (3)
With the close of the GPS rugby season for 2012 next week, anyone want to take an estimated guess on predictions for 2013?

John Dale

Frank Nicholson (4)
You speculated, as does everyone else on here. The difference between you being right, or wrong, was 3 points. As the ref pointed out, they defeated the early favourites. They played very good football. They are hardly an average team. How many games did you see?`

I saw/heard enough mate.
I do not doubt their effort and commitment for a second they are just not at the same level as some of the other teams. I understand your annoyance as Shore win a premiership every blue moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.