• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
too be a hundred per cent honest, Rory is the only number 9 i havent seen play this year, so i cannot comment on his performance this year. Kings do have some interesting strike power out wide though, so it should be an interesting pick for the number 9 in the GPS 1's.

Davis is an outstanding talent as he proved in 2011 as did his Kings team mate Corey Tulloch and it is surprising that neither have been mentioned in any of the suggested GPS selections.

E

elcapitano

look i may seem like i am blowing his trumpet but o'donohue cant be left out of the gp's 1's side, due to his injury last year he will fly under the radar but come the competition i believe many peoples eyes will be widen to his work ethic and abillity to take a hit!

J

joeys2012

elcapitano i have one question about odonahue. if he is as good as you say he is im interested to know why he is continually put on the gronk by the opposition defense. should mr ticehurst teach him some footwork coming into contact so he dosent continually get flexed by opponents main examples of this - riverview two defenders rourke and gerry burgess are very big and very physical when it comes to defense and odonohue treid to get through a 3cm gap between the big right shoulder of rourke and the massive left shoulder of sam gerry burgess. example 2 tepai put him on the gronk twice when joeys played new. im just worried about his well being as these boys will only get bigger and hit harder. he may need to develop a jink similar to that of his team mate tom robertson as he isnt as silly as to run at big big boys and think he can win the physical contact, so he shows a bit of a headwobble and darts off so he dosent get betled. its like golf its just not cricket

firstly he has been smashed twice, that is hardly continually being "put on the gronk" - as for what people see in him; his defence is rock solid and he always puts his hand up for a run, 99% of the time he'll make it over the advantage line, suck in defenders and this allows the next runner to make more metres.. not to mention he plays like a schoolboy rugby player should; without caution, putting his body on the line and playing every game as if it will be his last.. i could be wrong but i'd say this is why elcapitano and majority of this forum think he is a good player.

also i am very much doubting that it is possible to smash robertson, as i'm still yet to see anyone tackle him one on one, let alone smash him

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
elcapitano i have one question about odonahue. if he is as good as you say he is im interested to know why he is continually put on the gronk by the opposition defense. should mr ticehurst teach him some footwork coming into contact so he dosent continually get flexed by opponents main examples of this - riverview two defenders rourke and gerry burgess are very big and very physical when it comes to defense and odonohue treid to get through a 3cm gap between the big right shoulder of
rourke and the massive left shoulder of sam gerry burgess. example 2 tepai put him on the gronk twice when joeys played new. im just worried about his well being as these boys will only get bigger and hit harder. he may need to develop
a jink similar to that of his team mate tom robertson as he isnt as silly as to run at big big boys and think he can win the physical contact, so he shows a bit of a headwobble and darts off so he dosent get betled. its like golf its just not cricket
RLG i was witness to "the big right shoulder and the ginormous left one. Yes it was a tight gap, but O'Donahue got back to his feet very quickly,with no ill effects, Whilst all the back slaps were on a wobbly big shouldered Rourke who was quite quiet for the rest of the half. To be "put on the gronk" as you so succinctly put it, is a rather an obtuse statement. Maybe your concerns sate your own thoughts, but to be "put on the gronk". Please, watch the game without school bias, for the game I saw him play live, he impressed many more than just me.

E

elcapitano

elcapitano i have one question about odonahue. if he is as good as you say he is im interested to know why he is continually put on the gronk by the opposition defense. should mr ticehurst teach him some footwork coming into contact so he dosent continually get flexed by opponents main examples of this - riverview two defenders rourke and gerry burgess are very big and very physical when it comes to defense and odonohue treid to get through a 3cm gap between the big right shoulder of rourke and the massive left shoulder of sam gerry burgess. example 2 tepai put him on the gronk twice when joeys played new. im just worried about his well being as these boys will only get bigger and hit harder. he may need to develop a jink similar to that of his team mate tom robertson as he isnt as silly as to run at big big boys and think he can win the physical contact, so he shows a bit of a headwobble and darts off so he dosent get betled. its like golf its just not cricket
thanks for coming, it would seem you have little knowledge about the game of rugby and you arent the real lee grant

F

Finland Fella

If this rain keeps up through much of winter - New, View and even Shore tighten somewhat in betting .... not that there's gambling involved or anything like that.

Speaking of the punt: didn't Tom Waterhouse go to Shore ?
Funny on his ads how he's got no idea how anybody does anything, you know catch a ball, slice through a tiring defence, suck on an orange quarter at half time etc ... but he does seem to have a fair idea about ducking, weaving, putting on the shimmy and plunging without undue fiscal fanfare into any poor buggers leather lined pocket !

Sorry, went off on a tangent.

Whens the rain gonna leave our weekends alone ?

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
If this rain keeps up through much of winter - New, View and even Shore tighten somewhat in betting .. not that there's gambling involved or anything like that.

Speaking of the punt: didn't Tom Waterhouse go to Shore ?
Funny on his ads how he's got no idea how anybody does anything, you know catch a ball, slice through a tiring defence, suck on an orange quarter at half time etc . but he does seem to have a fair idea about ducking, weaving, putting on the shimmy and plunging without undue fiscal fanfare into any poor buggers leather lined pocket !

Sorry, went off on a tangent.

Whens the rain gonna leave our weekends alone ?
I went to school with his father.
Always had trouble with his clothes.
Couldn't tell one fine cotton from another!!!

R

random205

I dont understand how you can say dempsey is out of form?? Out of form suggests that a player is consistently in a slump where they are not playing to their full potential. Dempsey played against st pats and was dominant as of last year, but St pats is St pats. Besides that he has been injured and only played in the Kings game which was no indication to an out of form player.

Stewart is a different story because he has played a few games in a row where he has not performed and now is suffering an injury.
Waratard, my statement must have been misread and for that reason i do apologise. when i refer to Dempsey being out of form, i mean in the last few games he hasn't played the spectacular rugby i have seen him play - particularly in direct reference to his performances as of last year. Of course i wouldn't be surprised if he played exceptionally well against st pats, but as you stated, "St pats is St Pats". his form last year in my opinion was immaculate, and i was surprised he didn't get chosen in an Australian Schools side and a higher state side (he played in the NSW 2's) where from what i've heard he was a standout.
When i refer to him as being in bad form, i refer to him as not playing to his potential which is obviously very high - and in terms of the Riverview GPS championship side of last year, Dempsey was an obvious key member of the side and greatly contributed to the winning formula of view at the end of the season. i do apologise for my mistake on words, but i again restate that in terms of following up on his performances of last year, he hasn't so far impressed. i understand he has had an injury which has been an obvious setback on his game, but i do expect him to bounce back and compete for an Australian schools jumper - and from his performances of last year, i wholeheartedly agree that he will easily take the blindside position in GPS 1's.

In reference to Stewart i agree with your statement regarding his form, and from what i have seen and heard, he isn't dominating as he should be with a year in Australian schoolboys under his belt. i sense he has a few injuries however, as i witnessed during the Joeys game that he went down a few times, and eventually came off. He will have to perform the coming week though as Tepai (N) and Kay (J) are starting the threaten, in particular Tepai, but i believe the selectors will put Stewart in the GPS 1's just because of his success last year. However, anything is possible, as shown last year when Barclay was selected in the GPS 1's in front of Brogan Roods who later played schoolboys that year.

R

random205

It will be a tough contest for that No.1 jersey, I am very keen to see the selection.
GPS Guru, please tell me you are joking. I must stress that:
  1. Robertson have basically already got his name engraved on the GPS 1's #1 jersey, and is in far better form than opl, who in my opinion doesn't even belong in a GPS team.
  2. Jono Hardy isn't so far impressing, and personally am surprised that he is still in the Joeys 1st XV (hughes and barlett are playing particularly well in the 2's).
  3. O'Donahue is in fairly good form, and is in contention for the #5 jersey in the GPS 1's, despite playing out of position (is normally found at #8 and #6)
  4. the centre positions are hotly contested and probably have the most depth in any position, but based on last year Stewart and Barclay (and not forgetting Foketi) are the prime candidates for the GPS 1's. but if anyone was to cause an upset regarding the centre pairing, Tepai and Milne are both performing out of their skins, and the selectors will be put under a tonne of pressure to pick which centres go in which team.
Be careful of making comments that border on abuse. These were deleted. They reflected worse on the person that made them than on the target. Respect different opinions please.

Thank you
LG

H

HarveyColon

the selectors shouldn't be pressured into including young guns such as deegan last year.....it is true that tepai and taane are good but they can be used together next year. there is no need for some kind of build up of any sort. As far as i can remember, gps 1st xv didn't lose a game last year and stewart and barclay were an integral part of that, so why would you ruin that combination that has served its purpose in the past? The obvious conclusion here is that the selectors should stick with a combination that has worked and not be lured into hunting for juicy new talent......there will be more of an outcry if stewart and barclay are not selected as opposed to tepai and taane.

M

Michelle

very well put master colon.....I also think that gps should stick with barclay and stewart as they won't run off to league the moment they leave school.

On a different note...where the foketi is lalakai going to play if he isn't in centres for ones or twos??

G

gps guru

random205

I don't appreciate your personal attack on me or my comments. This forum is based on ones opinion, there is no black or white areas in the GPS. My comments on O'Donohue is relayed information I myself have been told, and I assure you I am not making a "mockery" of this forum. The only person making an embarrassment of themselves is you, just because you don't like things people say, doesn't make it wrong or "foolish"

He has a point random - not more such comments - Thank you - LG

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
To bring it back to rugby...

I think a fundamental question at the heart of GPS selections is this- do you pick the best 15 players in the GPS, or do you pick a side to win every game? Because those options are by no means the same thing. Do you keep established combinations in the halves, centres, front row etc. even though one of those players may only be 2nd or 3rd best in their position?

Discuss.

J

Joshua B Cummings

RLG i was witness to "the big right shoulder and the ginormous left one. Yes it was a tight gap, but O'Donahue got back to his feet very quickly,with no ill effects, Whilst all the back slaps were on a wobbly big shouldered Rourke who was quite quiet for the rest of the half. To be "put on the gronk" as you so succinctly put it, is a rather an obtuse statement. Maybe your concerns sate your own thoughts, but to be "put on the gronk". Please, watch the game without school bias, for the game I saw him play live, he impressed many more than just me.

My contacts did tell me that the Riverview v Joeys game was a physical encounter which, i'd heard O'Donahue went well although did hear he was stupid enough to run into the right shoulder of Harry Rorke... No player in the 2012 GPS rugby season will succeed against Harry Rorkes shoulder..... fair point?

Status
Not open for further replies.