• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G-78-XV-V

Following last weekends trials, and GPS selections, Kings would have to be firming in the premiership odds, with wins over Shore, Iggies and Joeys, (only going down to New. in virtually the last play)....
and a balanced spread of players across the 3 GPS squads.....Lets hope these trial matches evolve into a second round......GPS needs a home and away competition.....a shared or even a three way title is not a premiership!!!

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Following last weekends trials, and GPS selections, Kings would have to be firming in the premiership odds, with wins over Shore, Iggies and Joeys, (only going down to New. in virtually the last play)..
and a balanced spread of players across the 3 GPS squads...Lets hope these trial matches evolve into a second round..GPS needs a home and away competition...a shared or even a three way title is not a premiership!!!

It looks to me that the View boys are forming as a real chance with all of their key players stepping up a notch over the trials. If they are lucky enough not to pick up any injuries they are a real chance...

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
LG,
I think some of those Joeys parents who were in a huddle near the flag pole yesterday are quietly confident that come showtime, their boys will do them proud !
Having seen them play I think they will give everyone a much tougher run than some might expect. That being said, I don't think I have seen a better pairon the loose than Whitely & Dempsey from View - who have caused havoc to date - and will be a handful for most teams I suspect.
Fearless prediction time - this will be the closest competition for quite a few years, with any of the teams possible of winning on their day. It will simply depend on which team turns up on the day more desperate to win - or the odd refereeing decision going one way instead of the other. One thing is for sure - the school with the better depth through their 2's will be nearer the front than the back of the queue.
Wouldn't be surrised to see the team on top with the goodies at the end of the comp in September having lost at least one, and possibly two, matches !
Cheers
The Hound

S

Scotstothefore8

The GPS opens game against CHS is cancelled due to the amount of carbon that is released during the rugby game, it has polluted the air and is a reason for this thing called green house gases, but dont worry the boys will get to have a run around in a game of oztag organised by the coaches. The NSW teams will be selected from this game of oztag. The CO2 levels went through the roof from the last game which is why it has been cancelled.
You heard it first from Scots To The Fore 8

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking at the draw on paper it seems to me that View and Kings may have the pick of it and could face each other at View in round 5 unbeaten provided they can both win their respective Round 1 away games - big game at Joeys for View with Kings probably likely to get up at Shore. View have Grammar/High/Tas in Round 2 then Scots at home and Shore away being games they'd be expected to win. Kings have a more difficult task in Round 2 against Newington albeit at home but then have a bye followed by their game against Grammar/High/Tas. View finish with a bye in Round 6 and Newington at home in the last round. Kings final two games are both at home with a tough task against Joeys in Round 6 followed by Scots in the last round -

Joeys ...don't have as good a draw as Riverview having away games against Scots, Newington and Kings. Joeys game at Stanmore in Round 3 could be a real cracker. Newington have also not been favoured in the draw with tough away games at Kings, Scots and particularly Riverview in the last round. Scots have a bye first up but then really don't get any relief until their game in round 7 against Grammar/High/Scots - in between they have some very tough games both at home and away .

This is an extract from a post I made nearly 5 months ago when the 2012 draw first became known. Given the close results in the trials to date I suggest that the draw will be even more significant than perhaps first thought.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think some of those Joeys parents who were in a huddle near the flag pole yesterday are quietly confident that come showtime, their boys will do them proud!
They will always make us proud but that is not necessarily the same as winning; nor should it be.

My uncertainties about the 2012 team after seeing them play in a few trials are:
1. not seizing enough of their moments to score.
2. susceptibility to breakouts of opponents
3. backline not marking up and/or not realigning after turnovers (part of 2.)
4. below average long kicking game, including kicking for touch

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
...cut..
My uncertainties about the 2012 team after seeing them play in a few trials are:
4. below average long kicking game, including kicking for touch

Poor kicking is a blight on heavensgame at all levels.

For a country that has invented its own oval ball kicking game, and in certain enclaves follows it with a passion surpassing that which NZers have for Rugby, that is unacceptable.

We have broken down many barriers between the codes, and there is no reason why Rugby does not use kicking coaches whose grounding in in Cross Country Volleyball (AKA AFL).

Wobs already use a Saffer as their kicking consultant. Lets use AFL, they are closer, should be cheaper, and more readily available.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
HJ, this is a point I've raised many times in the past on G&GR. Are you aware both the ABs and the Boks have used former AFL players to fine tune their kickers? Michael Byrne and Ben Perkins, respectively. In fact Byrne has coached rugby players in Scotland, South Africa and New Zealand, I think he may've done some work for the Wallabies a while ago.

The fact rugby doesn't utilise this valuable asset right under our noses is criminal. AFL coaches could also give us priceless assistance how to handle the overhead ball, something rugby players are generally poor at.

See here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ot-on-other-foot/story-e6frg7n6-1111113954368
and here: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...s-then-wisely-takes-flight-20100411-s0xw.html

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Probably for another thread, but I have used an AFL coach a couple of times a few years back when I was coaching back in the Under 11's - Under 14's age group. It was only a couple of sessions but the kicking of the boys really improved, and the AFL bloke was only too happy to assist. Wasn't too difficult to organise.

Can't see why the GPS schools don't do likewise, even if ARU are not prepared to do so as part of a more orchestrated campaign to improve kicking skills across the board..

The Schools Rugby Masters seem to be a little more open to innovation than ARU.

H

HarveyColon

says on the aagps website's past results from memory. should be on the home page and i think it shows premierships in other sports too.

A more pressing question:.......Would Harry Jones have made GPS 1's if he were still at grammar???

X

X_BagiMonster_X

says on the aagps website's past results from memory. should be on the home page and i think it shows premierships in other sports too.

A more pressing question:...Would Harry Jones have made GPS 1's if he were still at grammar???
I dont think he would have i believe Josh Wilde is a excellent winger and deserves the NSW spot over Jones

S

Sydneybra

Forget NSW for a moment and get back to GPS rugby. The last trial game is being played first week back, I know of New vs View and thats it.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
NSW 1st & 2nd

Newington - 5
SJC - 5
View - 3
Kings - 7
Scot - 3
Shore - 0
Grammar - 0
--------------------

Kings???? looking good with their numbers in the NSW.

Status
Not open for further replies.