• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HarveyColon

not sure who won between grammar and armidale but i know that the score was 68-14 up in armidale......i'm hoping grammar won

Goldrush

Frank Row (1)
Shore 15 Joeys 31 [Halftime 15-17]

Joeys scored 4 tries to 2 at Northbridge to win their final GPS trial, but they wouldn't be completely satisfied with their performance.

Shore were the better team at the start and had a try on the board early, but at 10 mins. Joeys broke out and scored a brilliant try after the ball went through about 6 pairs of hands for 14. Newsome to score. Then Joeys' 13. Barclay scored an individual try when nothing was on. With the wind behind them, yet 5-17 down, Shore looked due for an uncomfortable afternoon. Then just before oranges a nicely placed kick for touch put them near the Joeys goal line and they broke through for a try soon after.

There was no scoring in the scrappy 3rd quarter but the Shore boys flagged in the 4th and Joeys finished over the top of them. 8. Watts scored a try through traffic and 13. Barclay finished them off with a 2nd individual try from nothing.

It was a bitter windy day and and a lot of the lads had trouble passing long with cold hands. Handling errors compromised attacking chances, but the loose ball offered break out opportunities for defenders. Holding onto the pill in the collisions was not easy either. Both teams should be congratulated for how they dealt with the weather - and the tacky surface, which made footwork difficult, especially around the cricket pitch area.

9. Pulver was not available for Shore, nor was the Joeys 6/8 O'Donahue, with a cork, nor their 9. Makasini. It was good to see 5. Schwager back for Joeys. It looks like he has put on some pork, but hasn't lost his skill, as he started the move that led to the Watts try in the 2nd half.

For Shore

• 15. Davies was hard to stop most times he had the ball and was almost too successful because whilst escaping from defenders he ran away from his supporting players also.

• 14. Oldham did some smart things and none better than setting up 12. Koukoulis with a perfect pass for a beautifully worked try.. that wasn't - because it was called back for an earlier incident. It deserved 5 points that effort.

• 10. Clancy was dangerous when taking on the line and drawing players so he could pass short, but his long passes in the wind with cold hands was often ropey. His tactical kicking in the wind was good except when he gave up 50 metres when kicking the ball dead in goal.

• 12. Kououlis was hard to stop in traffic and once I thought he should have passed near the Joeys goal line, but proved me wrong by forcing his way through for the try.

For Joeys

• The front row of 1. Robertson, 2. Carolan and 3. Sandell was dominant in the scrums and when Sandell had to be replaced after oranges and Carolan moved to THP, the Joeys scrum was just as imposing. Carolan had a great day individually and was always diligent in getting into position to do stuff, which sounds simple until you watch a lazy fatty doing the opposite and see the effect of the difference. Like Robertson he also made his mark with ball in hand.

• 4. Bartlett earned his promotion to the Ones for his work in the lineout alone. He bullied the Shore throwers and diverted some of their ball to his team.

• 6. Goldie was a complete pain in the arse all day- and I say that in a complimentary way. He made a nuisance of himself and spoiled many little endeavours of the Shore boys, not always lawfully, but in total, effectively.

• 12. Pay had a strong debut in the Ones and should hold his place on that showing. The nuggety inside centre is fast and elusive and made a few significant breaks. The fellow he replaced, the robust 15. Kay, made a good fist of the fullback role and broke a couple of tackles on attack, though he has more work to do in his role as a custodian.

Shore will have to improve their handling to take advantage of more of their chances. Their set piece work will have to get better also. Their forwards put in good efforts at the breakdown but they weren't as co-ordinated as the better drilled Joeys' forwards were, both with and without the ball. They have to be more alert against surprise moves by players like Barclay of Joeys. They also must not doze off in supporting their own ball runners.

Joeys will have to improve their goal defence because both Shore tries were scored from close quarters and too easily. They also have to make do with fewer players at the ruck as they have wanted defenders wide out in every trial game this year. A better back line that that of Shore would have punished them more.

Their discipline has to improve also. They were pinged too often for going off their feet, especially in the first half.

Sorry Lee, only thing you missed is that Curtin has won his spot back in the 1st now that he is fully fit. The Joeys squad was put through a rigorous fitness test on the first day of rugby camp in the Holidays, and I can confirm Curtin smashed it. Makasini was named in the seconds but hurt his shoulder during the week. On a shocking muddy field 12 and 13 for Joeys definitely had more room than before the holidays which comes from Curtin and Deegan. The sixty meter Box kick told me his Quad is back to normal. Good to see him back.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
It surely depends on the offence.
It used to be the school's decision as to the punishment.
Subject to the spear tackle having been deliberate I would have thought kicking someone was in a much more serious category but I didn't see the incident.

Surely there must be some forum for a player to defend such a serious charge and either refute or offer mitigating circumstances - or something? An undefended "kicking" charge is not something you would want hanging around on your record - it's not " the good old days "! :)
I agree with your summary IS - and I didn't see it either. Just interested in the players options.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One of the issues with GPS (CSA and ISA) effectively running competitions that are independent of NSWRU is that the NSW RU standard judiciary procedures are not followed.

IIRC there is an agreement between SJRU and Schools that any bans imposed from one competition will be honoured in the other in the event that the child is playing both Club and School Footy. This is also supposed to be in place between mungoball and union. Others may care to comment if this is actively complied with or ignored.

I would think that regardless of the GPS judiciary (if there is such a beast) the Headmasters and Rugby masters will be most unimpressed at the Red cards and will be taking rather strict actions against the miscreants. 1st XV games are their marketing showpiece, and no school in the $20k+ annual fee range can afford the reputational damage of being known as dirty or thugs.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Surely there must be some forum for a player to defend such a serious charge and either refute or offer mitigating circumstances - or something? An undefended "kicking" charge is not something you would want hanging around on your record - it's not " the good old days "! :)
I agree with your summary IS - and I didn't see it either. Just interested in the players options.

In one sense it is the good old days: he may have blown the privilege of playing for a few weeks - its not meant to be win at all costs: it is just a game.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Joeys View predictions for this weekend?

Wellsy, Terribly close I would imagine! Joeys by 2.

Having watched the top 6 teams now in trials, and injuries aside (which we all know can have a massive impact at any stage) I would say the winner of this game will come 3rd in the comp this year.

Can't pick between Newington and Kings for 1st spot.

This said I was backing Riverview 6 weeks ago to win. Certainly a very interesting competition, and perhaps the closest for years, starts this weekend. Superb!

sac77

Frank Row (1)
The GPS judiciary contains members of the AAGPS Executive & the Rugby Convener. Players sent off provide a written statement of their action; a referee report is tabled and video evidence is viewed. This system does penalise offenders on the severity of their offence - not a system that sweeps under the carpet on field incidents.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
The GPS judiciary contains members of the AAGPS Executive & the Rugby Convener. Players sent off provide a written statement of their action; a referee report is tabled and video evidence is viewed. This system does penalise offenders on the severity of their offence - not a system that sweeps under the carpet on field incidents.

Thanks to all contributors for your comments on this issue! Wreckless

S

Steve McGregor

Joeys at home are going to be strong. but river view with the return of their "big three" being rested over the weekend, a smart choice from the coaching staff across the river i must admit and the return of their inside center whom is returning from injury is going to be a big lift from view. a close mate of mine was telling me that view were very much in the game against newington despite the scoreline having 4 of their key players rested and 2 coming off injured in the first halve newington having their full team were dismal.

joeys on the weekend impressed. with barclay sending out a message to why he wasnt at the nationals this year with 2 solo tries that were hard fought for. all i know is that its going to be a big game for the joeys and view boys this year!.

ps. i feel riverview have the most underrated back line this year and im sure will up set a few teams with surprising attack through in my eyes the best center pairing in gps. say what you like the two work good together having played cobined states together and a few trials the two will be strong. pay and Barclay are close behind! with tepai and taane being infront of them!

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)

Is the penalty given in weeks or games?

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)

This is new - when did it come into existence? GPS used to have a deplorable reputation for keeping sendoffs etc "in house" (at the school level); with "incidents" getting joke sanctions, so a player would be available for a criticial fixture. BTW - have it on good authority that Schools and SJRU share the suspended player lists every week and recognise (as they should) suspensions from each others systems.

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
In my judgement I would list the following placements on the present pre-season results

Schools to be placed either

New 1st/2nd/3rd

Kings either 1st/2nd/3rd

Joeys either 1st/2nd/3rd,

But I would place Kings or Newington more likely to fill out the top two spots, nor would I rule out a shared championship between Kings/ Newington or Newington/Joeys/ Kings.

Riverview in 4th place

Depending on the grounds and the weather Scots or Shore in 5 or 6. If this poor weather persists with wet grounds that restrict backline play Shore could jump over Scots with their forwards benefiting over opponents with less skilled forwards

Of course these predictions are subject to injury, bounce of the ball and upset wins.

Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.