• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
As I indicated in my round preview a win by Shore would not be a shock and it was in fact thoroughly deserved. Their forwards were outstanding and dominated everywhere except in the scrums where Kings front row were the stronger - but the game was won at the breakdown where Shore turned over Kings ball numerous times and was otherwise lost by Kings through too many handling errors and a lineout that just didn't function as it should have. This cost them dearly in terms of time in possession and lost opportunities when they were on the attack out wide.

Despite playing well below their best Kings nonetheless hit the front for the first time in the match with about 10 mins left in the game. Shore though were not fazed by this and continued to do what they had done for all of the match - their relentless commitment at the breakdown and an undiminished desire for victory at home saw them score from a Pulver sniping run with about a minute left on the clock.

Full credit to Shore for their enthusiasm and commitment - they will create plenty of problems for many of the more fancied teams in this competition.
Were both teams at full quota CTPE?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Joeys 29-17 over View. A very dominant performance from the home side, there marking of Dempsey effectively put him out of the game. Controlled the scrums and Ollie Bartlett was great at the line outs. Riverview were good when they got ball out wide and did improve in the last 15 minutes. Whitely was a star in a losing side and showed why he's an Australian Schoolboy. Josh Kay kicked 6 penalty goals. For View, i think they were just unlucky to come up against a very smart Joeys side and can defiantly get a big win if a team can't shut down there big 3. For Joeys there big game will come against Newington in round 3 and will hope that Kings can get a win up next weekend.

Stand outs
Joeys - 4,7,8,12,14
View - 8
R
Honestly, the best players on the field were the front 3 for Joeys. Pick and drive as well as wearing out another 2 THP's was the Flying ManSwine Robertson. After reading the lack of appraisal for OPL aka ManBearPig, I look forward to round 3. But the sheer tanacity of the other two men in Ben Carolan 2 and THP Matt Sandell in the scrum, breakdown and general play was a pleasure to watch. Sandell is the new breed of grunt. Fast, hard and no compromise. And unlike most blokes up front, can pass. As can the other 2. Of the other forwards both locks outplayed their vaunted opposition with Bartlett doing some seriously good work in the air. The SJC loosies are very annoying men, with a skills set that were able to take "the big three" out of the equation. Some rather serious issues were raised...

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
R
Honestly, the best players on the field were the front 3 for Joeys. Pick and drive as well as wearing out another 2 THP's was the Flying ManSwine Robertson. After reading the lack of appraisal for OPL aka ManBearPig, I look forward to round 3. But the sheer tanacity of the other two men in Ben Carolan 2 and THP Matt Sandell in the scrum, breakdown and general play was a pleasure to watch. Sandell is the new breed of grunt. Fast, hard and no compromise. And unlike most blokes up front, can pass. As can the other 2. Of the other forwards both locks outplayed their vaunted opposition with Bartlett doing some seriously good work in the air. The SJC loosies are very annoying men, with a skills set that were able to take "the big three" out of the equation. Some rather serious issues were raised.

No need to talk it up - let them settle it at Stanmore on the 3rd round. Hope that you will repeat the same comment after the game.

S

Scare Crow

After watching King's last weekend I wasn't surprised by the result. The front row is their achilles heel and Shore took advantage both at the set piece and the breakdown. King's lost too many lineouts from poor throws and Shore with so much extra ball, moved them around the field with ease. One rolling maul went some 15/20 metres unchecked. This pressure up front created an error rate that no team could win with. Too much dropped ball. It'll be interesting to see how they go against New who clearly have size on their side. King's oozes talent out wide in both teams and unless they get the foundation right the season will be over before it starts.

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
Having watched the New/Grammar game I would have to agree that Newington's ball security could have been better, their support play was was absent at times and a number of passes where rushed. But these problems were more due to an attack of White Line fever from a team that was simply bigger, faster and at times broke through its opposition due sheer strength. I feel Grammar at the best were brave but lacked any ability to threaten New's line. This was not New at its best but it still was amassed 52 points playing below par. Quite simply Grammar are going to be outclassed by their big faster opponents in the GPS round.
Harey Colon appears to be a proud Grammar supporter and his praise of the Grammar boys is notable. But Harey bravery alone will not save Grammar from a "winter of discontent" and as other sides get into form the scores may blowout.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Whilst some schools will undoubtedly underestimate Shore, I think it would be a gross insult to the Shore boys to suggest that their victory today was primarily due to King's over confidence. The Shore forwards dominated the Kings pack and the backline defended outstandingly, despite the impressive Kings backline (Lalaki Foketi looked dangerous whenever he touched the ball). More to come later, but now I'd just like to say one thing:

The Shore team this year have a fire in their belly that I haven't seen within the Shore 1st XV for a while now, and no doubt they will stop at nothing this season to knock down the teams that have doubted them in the past, and will probably continue to do so. They showed great resilience and discipline to come back after King's late try, and demonstrated great team cohesion as the forwards rumbled their way up the field, where they were justly rewarded by a strong snipe from Pulver. They will definitely be interesting to watch this year.

I was out there too.....I wouldn't say over confidence was the issue, I thought the glaring difference was that Shore were a well drilled team outfit, whereas Kings were disjointed and the backs in particular were a team of individuals.....far too many many basic errors, lineout throws off target, the 10 dropped the ball often and threw wayward passes, and the 15 had a distinct aversion to passing the ball....Kings I reckon bombed 3 or 4 easy tries and gave Shore the game....full credit to Shore though, they gave it their all and I agree with the comments from others that it might not only be Kings they upset....The Kings 2nds were outstanding except for a lapse of concentration just before the half time bell which allowed Shore to Score.....Kings would have been better off running the 2nds back out for the main game!

G

G&GR News Bot

Joeys jumped out of the blocks at Hunters Hill yesterday and left a sluggish Riverview behind at the start. And they served notice to all the other teams that they were going for gold. Joeys 29 – Riverview 17 The scoring Sure, you may look at the score and see that Riverview notched up 3

Click this link to read the full article...

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
After watching King's last weekend I wasn't surprised by the result. The front row is their achilles heel and Shore took advantage both at the set piece and the breakdown. King's lost too many lineouts from poor throws and Shore with so much extra ball, moved them around the field with ease. One rolling maul went some 15/20 metres unchecked. This pressure up front created an error rate that no team could win with. Too much dropped ball. It'll be interesting to see how they go against New who clearly have size on their side. King's oozes talent out wide in both teams and unless they get the foundation right the season will be over before it starts.

I recall that Kings scrum won two tight heads and Shore's loose head was twice cautioned for failing to maintain his bind before being penalised for it. The scrum was the only area where the Kings forwards had the upper hand and they constantly had Shore under pressure but this ultimately meant little as their lineout didn't function at all well particularly when in excellent attacking positions near Shores line. When things aren't working at this set piece I was always taught that the golden rule was to keep it simple and go to your front jumper yet this didn't happen nearly often enough and Kings paid a hefty penalty in giving away too much of their own ball.

Kings need to be diligent at the breakdown and maintain their commitment until the contest is clearly won - on a number of occasions they looked like they had secured or maintained possession only to have Shore counter ruck enthusiastically and turn Kings ball over. Their forward runners could also run a touch tighter lines when carrying the ball and reduce their exposure to being isolated - Kings in fact do little picking and driving unless they are close to their opponents line - with the talent they have out wide, continually sucking their opposition in with more pick and drives before unleashing the ball to their backs could be a another option for them.

It was a game where Kings will rue plenty of missed opportunities and self inflicted errors- (KOB1987 gives a good summary at his recent post at 1797#) - and no matter how talented King's backline is the same penalty applies to all teams when too much ball is dropped and promising attacking forays are called back for forward passes. Congrats again to Shore on a very deserving win - whilst it wasn't the result Kings had hoped for it might ultimately serve them well over the remainder of the season.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not wanting to halt the discussion on this weekends games, but I was just wondering which teams will be facing up next week? I know Shore have a bye.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
GPS Round 2 – 4/8/2012

· Shore – Bye
· Kings vs Newington at Gowan Brae
· St Josephs vs Scots at Bellevue Hill
· St Ignatius vs Grammar at Riverview

K

kbw

and the 16's beat newington's 16 a's 22-0. very impressive.
Sorry thats not correct. The Grammar 16As beat Newington 16Bs 22-0. They were not too bad though.

Comments from the crowd made it very evident they are not used to winning at all and don't quite know how to cope with it.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Don't quote me but I think some other results at Hunters Hill were:

- 15As SJC 38 - SIC 0
- 16As SJC 28 - SIC 5
- 3rd XV SJC 45 - SIC 0
- 2nd XV SJC 17 - SIC 17

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I cant understand this given the talent that is outside him when he joins the line or runs it back: has it always been an issue?
How did the Kings 12 go? I rate him big time.

Kings backline was well contained for most of the game with Foketi perhaps being the exception. Whilst Shore's forwards have received plenty of credit for their team's win, their backs also deserve plenty of accolades as they got up quickly and pressured Kings inside backs and always chased their own kicks with great vigour nullifying much of Kings potential to counter attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.