• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
As junior RM played for the current Country boys since the 14 s, we were interested in going to watch. Upon arrival seeing the familiar CC jersey realised the Central Coast were playing Sydney. Money still one Sydney Juniors for City v Country as many players have moved onto to greener pastures. Including my Junior.

Wreckless Jnr ( let's call him "Careless" - he is more considered and deliberate! ) was a Cockatoo as well! Hope the Boys go well! :)

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
I just did a quick count on the 24 boys in the 2010 U14 Country Junior Team.
7 are now attending GPS schools with
1 @ St Augustines, Mr Walker no less, and
1 @ Kinross who has also qualified to play for Country U17's this year.
Only 3 originals have made it through to Country U17's
No doubt this sort of breakup is probably typical of latter teams

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Update it was a mixed Central coast team of 17 s and 18 s. And they went down to Sydney. Not sure of scores yet

No GPS games to talk about so here goes,

Score was Sydney 21 Central Coast All Sorts 19.

No team lists were available but I recognised a few CHS and CCC boys in the Coasties team.

Both teams seemed to be using it as a trial with plenty of substitutes being made, which reconfigured the teams and made it difficult to get momentum at times.

Who do the Country Under 18's play against?

I am not aware of any Juniors Opens (Under 18) team. Is there one?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Agree with you entirely here Mum,
Having seen the progression of the NSW country team from u14's to what it is now, it is a damn sight worse now than it was 3 years ago.
Seems as though many boys have shifted towards Sydney Independent Schooling with the hopes of furthering their rugby. Much of the cream from the Country 17's age group left in the last 2 years, with the GPS gaining players such as Callum Styles (Scots), Kurtis Crisante (View), Jono Burke (Kings) and players such as John Walker heading to the ISA (Augustines). (obviously more have changed)

That being said, as far as I know, team lists here: http://juniors.rugby.com.au/Representative.aspx indicate that Sydney Juniors may not be as strong as previous years either? correct me if wrong, but i believe this is due to a strong presence of GPS u17's boys in NSW teams?
Do people really change schools to further their rugby???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The kids believe they do but the Parents choose to in the final years to improve the education. Achieving a better ATAR opens up more choice once kids leave school. Mediocrisy is a big thing in many regional areas, however throw them amongst high achieves and what must they do? It has worked for our junior. Happy parents, good results, boys happy playing better rugby in the meanwhile. As I keep telling him, BALANCE is the key.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
No GPS games to talk about so here goes,

Score was Sydney 21 Central Coast All Sorts 19.

No team lists were available but I recognised a few CHS and CCC boys in the Coasties team.

Both teams seemed to be using it as a trial with plenty of substitutes being made, which reconfigured the teams and made it difficult to get momentum at times.

Who do the Country Under 18's play against?

I am not aware of any Juniors Opens (Under 18) team. Is there one?
There are not too many. Some teams present teams in the country champs hence a country team is then selected. They do camps together and organise some games against colt teams. I believe there is on on then13th at Coogee Oval.
The pinnacle for these boys is travelling to England and playing some games there. Always a difficult age to find opponents and this exercise works out to be pretty damn expensive, approximately 9000 dollars for each kid. More of a fluffy tour rather than going anywhere forward IMO.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The kids believe they do but the Parents choose to in the final years to improve the education. Achieving a better ATAR opens up more choice once kids leave school. Mediocrisy is a big thing in many regional areas, however throw them amongst high achieves and what must they do? It has worked for our junior. Happy parents, good results, boys happy playing better rugby in the meanwhile. As I keep telling him, BALANCE is the key.
That's what i would have thought.
I find it very difficult to believe that parents would fork out the money so their child can become a better rugby player.
I also find it somewhat naive to think that being better at rugby at a cost of $30k per annum is something most or any parent could justify.
There's a semi-delusional aspect to all of this: maybe 1% of 1st XV players can make a living out of the game.
While being a better rugby player is a noble aim it doesn't pay the bills for most people.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The front page of this august organ suggests Bob Loudon was the captain of the Australian team that beat the Lions in 1930 in a one off test at the SCG.
ESPN suggests otherwise: here is its list of the team
Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 11.57.07 AM.png

My purpose is not to correct the record it is to remind regular readers of this thread of the past, and maybe to encourage boys at the school now, and their parents and teachers, to embrace the place Grammar has in the history of Australian rugby.
Loudon went to Grammar and did captain Australia against what is described by espn as a NZ XV.
But of the team that beat the lions in 1930 the following were Old Sydneians: Alec Ross, Arthur Finlay and Geoff Storey.
Ross, Finlay and Storey had all toured Europe with the 1927-28 Waratahs - as had Tommy Lawton, the captain on this day, but a Queenslander! Cyril Towers (Waverley) had toured in that team too - but did not play all the tests.
Grammar supplied more players for the 27-28 Tahs team than any other school (6), SJC (4) and TKS (3). SBHS had 2 and Newington 1.
According to Peter Crittle's foreword to Peter Fenton's "For the Sake of the Game - 1927/28 Waratahs" that team
"changed forever the style of Australian Rugby......Under the inspired captaincy and coaching of A C 'Johnnie' Wallace, that dazzled the British and French with displays of 15-man rugby which had rarely been seen in Europe...his firm belief was that that the Waratahs best chance of success lay in exploiting the running and handling skills of all members of the team"

Wallace was a former Grammar boy.
Cyril Towers was renowned for his influence in playing the running game down at Randwick and, indeed, passing it on to Bob Dwyer. Did he learn it on this tour from Wallace?
On the eve of a hopefully historic repetition of the 1930 result a little bit of history seemed appropriate and this thread a suitable home for it.

DYEL

Bob McCowan (2)
IS,
This was a polite way of saying that MAYBE these schools have encouraged these boys to come, a.) with the possibility of furthered rugby oppurtunities (Links to Shute Shield etc) b.) with the enhanced academic prospectus.

Not that I know the position of many boys in the GPS who have been dragged in due to their rugby ability, but it is naive to think that oftentimes GPS schools provide a drain on Country Rugby.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
IS,
This was a polite way of saying that MAYBE these schools have encouraged these boys to come, a.) with the possibility of furthered rugby oppurtunities (Links to Shute Shield etc) b.) with the enhanced academic prospectus.

Not that I know the position of many boys in the GPS who have been dragged in due to their rugby ability, but it is naive to think that oftentimes GPS schools provide a drain on Country Rugby.

I think you could put together a pretty handy team of country boys at GPS schools
Anyone like to try?

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
C'mon RM, you just liked the Dads better in the city and especially at Bellevue Hill than those in the Central Coast! Makes all those hours watching or waiting for our sons all the more enjoyable.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
C'mon RM, you just liked the Dads better in the city and especially at Bellevue Hill than those in the Central Coast! Makes all those hours watching or waiting for our sons all the more enjoyable.

George now.... We all now that Rugby followers are far more attractive and intelligent than the dark code followers, however there is a significant man in my life, who loves rugby as much as I do.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I hope you aren't watching the Bellevue Hill Dads as well as Rugby Mum, while you are watching or waiting for your sons.

Status
Not open for further replies.