• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I agree with you on all counts here R2. The genuine dark horse belongs to Short. The type of 9 suited to the tour. Passes both ways better than any other GPS halfback. Cheeky as all get up too. Lachie Cannell made the Westlake First XV last year and has got better from what I have seen. He and Hanigan would compliment each other well, but in saying that, I haven't seen or heard of any genuine air boys from the other states yet either. It will be interesting to say the least next week

Agreed regarding Short, from what I've heard from a few of the 10s that have played with him he is the best 9 in GPS, also agree that Cannell and Hanigan suit each other very well. Another player I've got wraps on is young Henry Hutchinson. I'll admit I doubted his ability until recently but now I realise how good he is, would be great to see him get a spot on the Australian A side.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Gents, did some research and found out that both Matt Serhorn and Simon Kennewell rowed in the Newington 4th IV that came 2nd in this years HOTR, the best result for the school on the day and was announced to be the best 4th IV the school has ever raced. Good work boys.

Maybe big and strong rugby lads do make a difference in a boat.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Having done just that recently, but under no privilege restrictions, HJ was offered a scholarship by another GPS school (desperately keen to finally win title again) but declined and pays full fees at Barker.
yep, Scots offered a scholarship after he left Grammar but went to Kings and now plays with this heart at Barker.

longdrop

Frank Row (1)
Agreed regarding Short, from what I've heard from a few of the 10s that have played with him he is the best 9 in GPS, also agree that Cannell and Hanigan suit each other very well. Another player I've got wraps on is young Henry Hutchinson. I'll admit I doubted his ability until recently but now I realise how good he is, would be great to see him get a spot on the Australian A side.
I have also heard of Henry as being a really good footballer, apparently he is still eligible to play in year 10, meaning he is 16!! Has anyone seen Michael Kennedy play? Apparently he is playing well at the moment? I think he made NSW 1's reserve halfback. I am yet to see either of these boys play and hopefully I am able to get down to View next week.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I think that he doesn't have the 'tude problems of his back three partners ( HH). In saying that, this is Rugby. It attracts the "different" player etc. he has a very good feel for the game and will make something of himself. A player to watch, and one that wil stay in Rugby...

DYEL

Bob McCowan (2)

I 100% agree with you here Random. In all aspects, all reports (and sources) indicate that Short's passing game as well as his cohesiveness with Deegan whilst playing in both GPS 1's and 2's was outstanding. Would not be surprised for Short to nab a Gold jersey considering recent form.

Whilst I have not yet seen Cannell play (all reports positive), Hanigan has thus far had an outstanding season, with wide ball running and truly punishing defence a hallmark of his trade. Given his sheer size and raw athleticism, a Gold Jersey would not be entirely out of the question, however with all players this week, his performance in the Championships shall dictate his path.

Hutchinson, other than Moeroa and Milne, (IMO) has been the centre to beat this season, with solid performances across the board in week in week out games, as well as representative fixtures. Good on the young lad, shame View doesn't offer pathways (correct me if wrong).

DYEL

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I have also heard of Henry as being a really good footballer, apparently he is still eligible to play in year 10, meaning he is 16!!

Has anyone seen Michael Kennedy play? Apparently he is playing well at the moment? I think he made NSW 1's reserve halfback. I am yet to see either of these boys play and hopefully I am able to get down to View next week.

Hutchinson is an exciting player: elusive with a touch of JOC (James O'Connor), and a bit of a favourite of mine. I don't know how old he is but he is in Yr.11.

Kennedy is a good player and deserves to be on the NSW I bench.

This doesn't mean he is the 2nd ranked scrumhalf by the NSW selectors. The 2nd guy, Lussick, gets to run-on for NSW II so that he in front of the Oz selectors as a starting player more.

The 3rd guy, Stephen Kirkby, becomes reserve for the NSW IIs and Michael Kennedy is the reserve for the Is as the 4th ranked scrummie.

They do the same thing for all the positions though obviously there are only 8 reserves in each team; but you know what I mean.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
HH is a good player but the blinkered love of him is ridiculous. He played well in last years U16 championships but not outstanding. He has played well in the GPS this year but got owned terribly against new.

He still has a bit to grow physically and as a player, but when he reaches his potential he will be wonderful.

The comment about HH having a bit of JOC (James O'Connor), well thats a horrible thing to say about the kid. (and as I type this he puts AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in) :)

DYEL

Bob McCowan (2)
HH is a good player but the blinkered love of him is ridiculous. He played well in last years U16 championships but not outstanding. He has played well in the GPS this year but got owned terribly against new.

As far as my old mind can remember, HH was the leading try scorer of the tournament (2 hat-tricks) something seldom achieved by a centre, lesser so one who is not of the tournament age bracket.

Also in his defence, I dare say he was playing against what are two MEN in Moeroa and Milne both of whom we must note are likely to take out positions in the Aus Schoolboys back line. Whilst as we know HH is still 15/16?

That being said, further mental maturity will supplement his growth as a player as will physical maturity and size in further adding to his capabilities as a footy player.

longdrop

Frank Row (1)
I have since found them....

Novotel ASRU Championships Draw 2013

Division I Pools
POOL A: ACT, NSW II, QLD I, VIC
POOL B: Combined States, NSW I, QLD II, WA

MONDAY 1st JULY
1015 Game 1: Div 1 – NSW II v VIC First Field
1130 Game 2: Div 1 – QLD II v CS First Field
1300 Game 3: Div 1 – QLD I v ACT First Field
1430 Game 4: Div 1 – NSW I v WA First Field

WEDNESDAY 3rd JULY
0900 Game 5: Div 1 – NSW II v ACT First Field
1015 Game 6: Div 1 – NSW I v CS First Field
1130 Game 7: Div 1 – QLD I v VIC First Field
1300 Game 8: Div 1 – QLD II v WA First Field
1430 Game 9: Div 2 – LMRDT v SA First Field
1530 Game 10: Div 2 – TAS v NT First Field

THURSDAY 4TH JULY
1130 Game 11: Div 1 – CS v WA First Field
1300 Game 12: Div 1 – ACT v VIC First Field
1430 Game 13: Div 1 – NSW II v QLD I First Field
1815 Game 14: Div 1 – NSW I v QLD II North Sydney Oval (tbc)

FRIDAY 5TH JULY
0830 Game 15: Div 2 – LMRDT v TAS First Field
0930 Game 16: Div 2 – SA v NT First Field

SATURDAY 6TH JULY
0900 Game 17: Div 2 – NT v LM Second Field
0900 Game 18: Division I: 4th v 4th First Field
1015 Game 19: Div 2 – SA v TAS Second Field
1015 Game 20: Division I: 3rd v 3rd First Field
1130 Game 21: Division I: 2nd v 2nd First Field
1300 Championships Final: Division I: 1st v 1st First Field

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
I have since found them..

Novotel ASRU Championships Draw 2013

Division I Pools
POOL A: ACT, NSW II, QLD I, VIC
POOL B: Combined States, NSW I, QLD II, WA

MONDAY 1st JULY
1015 Game 1: Div 1 – NSW II v VIC First Field
1130 Game 2: Div 1 – QLD II v CS First Field
1300 Game 3: Div 1 – QLD I v ACT First Field
1430 Game 4: Div 1 – NSW I v WA First Field

WEDNESDAY 3rd JULY
0900 Game 5: Div 1 – NSW II v ACT First Field
1015 Game 6: Div 1 – NSW I v CS First Field
1130 Game 7: Div 1 – QLD I v VIC First Field
1300 Game 8: Div 1 – QLD II v WA First Field
1430 Game 9: Div 2 – LMRDT v SA First Field
1530 Game 10: Div 2 – TAS v NT First Field

THURSDAY 4TH JULY
1130 Game 11: Div 1 – CS v WA First Field
1300 Game 12: Div 1 – ACT v VIC First Field
1430 Game 13: Div 1 – NSW II v QLD I First Field
1815 Game 14: Div 1 – NSW I v QLD II North Sydney Oval (tbc)

FRIDAY 5TH JULY
0830 Game 15: Div 2 – LMRDT v TAS First Field
0930 Game 16: Div 2 – SA v NT First Field

SATURDAY 6TH JULY
0900 Game 17: Div 2 – NT v LM Second Field
0900 Game 18: Division I: 4th v 4th First Field
1015 Game 19: Div 2 – SA v TAS Second Field
1015 Game 20: Division I: 3rd v 3rd First Field
1130 Game 21: Division I: 2nd v 2nd First Field
1300 Championships Final: Division I: 1st v 1st First Field

Just Curious any reason why on the Thursday NSW 1s V QLD 11s is at North Sydney ?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is a curtain raiser for the Classic Wobs vs Classic Lions game.

Fundraising match for the Junior rugby.
http://www.waratahs.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/157/ArticleID/9157/Default.aspx

There is also a Sydney vs Country game before the Opens schoolboys.
Classic-wallabies-game-web.jpg

Tickets $25 pp or $50 per family (2+2)

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Pretty certain the NSW 1s vs QLD 2s is not at North Sydney anymore, it's at Riverview just to end any confusion.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
In talking to a few of the NSW 1s boy they have not been told they are playing at North Sydney (although that was on Tuesday so things may have changed). I'm going to assume the games at View

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With all the recent liquid sunshine, will the View Ovals stand up to a week of footy, and then be OK after another 2 weeks recovery for GPS games?

Status
Not open for further replies.