• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawsteak

Stan Wickham (3)
Does anyone have the Joeys & View line ups for the 2nds clash?

Unsure of Joeys but Riverview shapes up as follows

1 Daniel Kilpatrick
2 Pat Weston
3 Alex Hancock
4 Nick Meagher (C)
5 Sinclair Clinton
6 Brendan Murray
7 Conor Menzies
8 Angus Higgins
9 Dan Rorke
10 Jim Lance
11 Louis Anderson
12 Joe Stageman
13 Nick Falvey
14 Sam Mete
15 Conor Hurley

rawsteak

Stan Wickham (3)
I notice that High play Joeys 3s on the main ground at 1pm. This will be a big stage for the boys from High.

Also saw that Grammar 1sts are playing at Weigall at 12 noon. I'll be in the east Saturday afternoon and was hoping to catch the 3.15 kick off. Might have to try to find a park at Bellevue Hill now.
I'm sure the Iggie's boys will be out in numbers, cheering their lungs out for the High boys

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
I notice that High play Joeys 3s on the main ground at 1pm. This will be a big stage for the boys from High.

Also saw that Grammar 1sts are playing at Weigall at 12 noon. I'll be in the east Saturday afternoon and was hoping to catch the 3.15 kick off. Might have to try to find a park at Bellevue Hill now.

Thanks guys, keep this sort of info coming, a lot of people still like to catch a game or two of the "full comp".
Good planning, two games in one trip, Weigall at noon and Bellevue hill at 3.15.

socks out

Frank Row (1)
Personally im still iffy regarding the 3rd XV comp. For example half of the Riverview community will be in Armidale instead of the biggest game in their season. Overall it has caused confusion and a drop of attendance at a lot of games. I definitely agree that High and Grammar need to be playing competitive footy against the other GPS schools however I dont feel Armidale should be getting a run. The dual round system has been great so far but maybe some changes to the 3rds would see an even better comp.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
If you watch Mackaness (halfback for 5ths in 2012) you will understand as to why Menzies has been dropped. Do not get me wrong, Menzies is a great player but this year hasn't been his best. On the other hand, Mackaness plays every game as his last and gets MVP almost every game. He is only a little fella but makes astonishing metres when carries the ball. He also does not have a pain threshold so he is quite the mongrel in the rucks and and 'in your face' sort of player - something the Joeys lads may not enjoy.

Congratulations also to Alex Barker who, one could consider, a Cinderella Story - Started in 13 E's and played C's in 16's.

The 2nd's match between Joeys and View is my pick of the round. Top of the table clash with boys out to prove their worth against a particularly strong, undefeated Joey's side
Dear Rawsteak... Can I let you in on a little secret? In Australia and Rugby Union particularly, we have Man Of The Match (MOTM) not some seppo hyped MVP, whatever that is. Please amend your ways Sir before we have the World Series :)

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
Unsure of Joeys but Riverview shapes up as follows

1 Daniel Kilpatrick
2 Pat Weston
3 Alex Hancock
4 Nick Meagher (C)
5 Sinclair Clinton
6 Brendan Murray
7 Conor Menzies
8 Angus Higgins
9 Dan Rorke
10 Jim Lance
11 Louis Anderson
12 Joe Stageman
13 Nick Falvey
14 Sam Mete
15 Conor Hurley

This seconds team have impressed me a lot this year. However, i think they will rue that unforgivable loss to shore. The game of the day tomorrow i think will be the 2nd XV top of the table clash some really good underrated and 'unknown' players within both teams.

Any team news coming from joeys? Are Hanigan and Deegan back for the biggest game of the year for both schools and even though both teams are out of contention in 1's probably going to be the biggest crowd as usual!

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys side for the clash of the Catholics:
1. Jono Hardy
2. Tierney Glasson
3. Matt Sandell (c)
4. Koim Wingti
5. Linden Deans
6. Patrick O'Brien
7. Nic Penisi
8. Ned Hanigan
9. Tevita Mackini
10. Connor O'Shea
11. Luke Ryan
12. Willo McDonnell (vc)
13. Kurtis Bennent
14. Paddy Vaughn
15. Brodie Bailey

Hanigan returns to the side after 2 weeks on the sidelines whilst Deegan and McCutcheon have failed to recover from injuries but should return next week. O'Shea will again wear the 10 jersey which he has worn so well in the past and will no doubt do the college proud again in the biggest game of the year. This game is shaping up as one of the most anticipated Lane Cove river clashes in recent memories, with both teams having no real incentive for the rest of the season rather then this game. Banter has been great with a riverview pump up video causing a stir. Interesting that of the 4 players it targets (Deegan, McGregor, Mete and Menzies) only 1 will actually play this weekend. Anyway to my
predictions, the View boys have been solid this season and showed Joeys what they are capable of with a win in round 1. Don't understand why Menzies was dropped, I think he is a very good 7 and would have done a great job if picked, also agree with someone who said McGregor would be better suited to the 16As clash. Despite the first round loss, Joeys can take motivation in the fact they have vastly improved since the first game, with a heroic performance against Scots and a tough win after plenty of injuries last week at Northbridge. For me, I think Joeys will win and if they do I don't think they'll leave it close. As for the other games, who cares! Hunters Hill is where it is at this weekend, the Clash of the Catholics, the local derby, the greatest rivalry in schoolboys rugby, big crowd expected featuring old boy reunions from both schools. Joeys by 15

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Does anyone have Joeys 2nd XV team?

Joeys 2nd XV:
1. Sean Dillon
2. Pat O'Doherty
3. Marcus Cutler
4. Tom Munsinki
5. Nick Findlay
6. Rory Gallagher
7. Josh Canturi
8. Myles Fowler
9. Pat Curtain (c)
10. Andew Bligh
11. Matt Psaltis
12. Jakub Gluzenko
13. Oscar Vierod
14. Matt Scolari
15. Tom Wright

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
Raised this discussion on CAS.
In the final round last Sat, Barker No10 slotted a field goal, in the seasons results this was the one and only F/G for the year across the whole comp, why is this easy 3 points not utilised more at this level of rugby?

The Spectator

Herbert Moran (7)
1. Jono Hardy
2. Tierney Glasson
3. Matt Sandell (c)
4. Koim Wingti
5. Linden Deans
6. Patrick O'Brien
7. Nic Penisi
8. Ned Hanigan
9. Tevita Mackini
10. Connor O'Shea
11. Luke Ryan
12. Willo McDonnell (vc)
13. Kurtis Bennent
14. Paddy Vaughn
15. Brodie Bailey

Hanigan returns to the side after 2 weeks on the sidelines whilst Deegan and McCutcheon have failed to recover from injuries but should return next week. O'Shea will again wear the 10 jersey which he has worn so well in the past and will no doubt do the college proud again in the biggest game of the year. This game is shaping up as one of the most anticipated Lane Cove river clashes in recent memories, with both teams having no real incentive for the rest of the season rather then this game. Banter has been great with a riverview pump up video causing a stir. Interesting that of the 4 players it targets (Deegan, McGregor, Mete and Menzies) only 1 will actually play this weekend. Anyway to my
predictions, the View boys have been solid this season and showed Joeys what they are capable of with a win in round 1. Don't understand why Menzies was dropped, I think he is a very good 7 and would have done a great job if picked, also agree with someone who said McGregor would be better suited to the 16As clash. Despite the first round loss, Joeys can take motivation in the fact they have vastly improved since the first game, with a heroic performance against Scots and a tough win after plenty of injuries last week at Northbridge. For me, I think Joeys will win and if they do I don't think they'll leave it close. As for the other games, who cares! Hunters Hill is where it is at this weekend, the Clash of the Catholics, the local derby, the greatest rivalry in schoolboys rugby, big crowd expected featuring old boy reunions from both schools. Joeys by 15

Heartily agree. Problem with McGregor moving back to 16As for View is that it is such a weak team. He is just in limbo. Problem will be in 2015 when all the 16s move into 1sts.

S

shortball

Heartily agree. Problem with McGregor moving back to 16As for View is that it is such a weak team. He is just in limbo. Problem will be in 2015 when all the 16s move into 1sts.
I dont believe it is a weak age group, i believe that with the likes of McGregor, Hurley, Hancock and Rorke back in the team along with Archer who played GPS President B's they will alright, some new boys will really develop such as Bayley Fuall and Alex Hamilton. they wont be in the running for the premiership in 2015 with Scots and Joeys. But i dont think they will do as bad as expected.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Re above, the recent thumping by New suggests otherwise. All these players were together in 15s and didn't make much difference and that included Hutchison. Problems are with the forwards not backs.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
As you are all learned GPS followers in this thread I thought you may appreciate some rugby history (especially as Newington are celebrating their sesquicentenary this year).

Also tomorrow night during the Bledisloe game will be Sydney University putting on a demonstration game using 1800s rules and gear (as well as an old leather ball).

Commencementof Rugby In Australia
In 1870, Montague Arnold put an advertisement in a Sydney paper calling for assistance in forming a Rugby football club. Five men turned up to the first meeting being, M Arnold, RA Arnold, Septimus Stephen, Tom Brown, George Deas-Thomson and formed the Wallaroos Club. The imported the Gilbert No2 rugby ball and wore the colours a narrow red, white and blue hooped jerseys.
The Wallaroos were undefeated (playing 15 to allcomers 20-a-side teams) until 1877 when The Kings School old boys formed the Ex-Students team and beat them.
Rugby Clubs playing in the late 1880s included: Arforma, Parammatta, Moore College, Strathfield (formerly Burwood Club), Articled Clerks, Zealandia, Summer Hill Oaklands, Neutral Bay, Undergraduates.

Timeline

1823 W Ellis at Rugby picked up the ball and ran with it
1829 The Sydney Monitor reports a game of ‘football’ played at Sydney Barracks
1839 Rugby is played at Cambridge University
1840 The SMH reports a game of ‘football’ played in Sydney with frequent scuffles
1843 Guy's Hospital Rugby Club formed (England)
1854 Dublin University Rugby Club formed (Ireland)
1856 First organized game of Victorian Rules in Sydney
1857 Edinburgh Academicals, Liverpool Rugby Clubs formed
1858 Blackheath Rugby Club formed (England)
1861 Richmond and Sale Rugby Clubs formed (England)
1863 Richmond Rugby Club formed (England)
1863 Sydney University Football Club founded
1866 Harlequins Rugby Club formed (England)
1867 Wasps Rugby Club formed (England)
1869 The Wesleyan Collegiate Institution (founded Newington College 11 yrs later) played a game of ‘football’ against Sydney University (with 20 players aside)
1870 Wallaroos and The Kings School Rugby Clubs formed
1871 English Rugby Union formed
1872 Oxford and Cambridge Universities played their first game of rugby
1874 The Southern Rugby Football Union founded in Sydney. (This precedes the foundation of NZRU, Wales, Ireland and South Africa).
1877 Eight rugby clubs playing in Sydney (Wallaroos, University, Waratahs, Woolahra, Burwood, Ex-Students, Maitland and Newcastle.
Five Schools playing (Kings, Wesleyn Academy, Grammar, Camden College, Calder House)
1879 Rugby started to be played in Queensland
1880 Newington College is established
1892 AAGPS is founded
1893 Scots College and St Ignatious College commence playing rugby
1895 St Joesphs College enters the competition
1897 St Aloysius plays TKS
1904 AAGPS 2nd grade established
1906 Sydney High admitted to GPS
1907 St Ignatious College enters the rugby competition
1910 AAGPS 3rd grade established (suspended in 1961)

rickety knees

Peter Burge (5)
1. Jono Hardy
2. Tierney Glasson
3. Matt Sandell (c)
4. Koim Wingti
5. Linden Deans
6. Patrick O'Brien
7. Nic Penisi
8. Ned Hanigan
9. Tevita Mackini
10. Connor O'Shea
11. Luke Ryan
12. Willo McDonnell (vc)
13. Kurtis Bennent
14. Paddy Vaughn
15. Brodie Bailey

How does/has young Pat Vaughn go ? Saw alot of him up in Newcastle playing for Wanderers in the under age groups. The boys got talent.

rickety knees

Peter Burge (5)
How does/has young Pat Vaughn go ? Saw alot of him up in Newcastle playing for Wanderers in the under age groups. The boys got talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.