• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
i do agree with your thoughts, if such sports as winter tennis, golf, 'newfit' (basically a school based fitness program for boys who are scared to take a tackle), volleyball, basketball and water polo. Such sports at new that have recently not been as good or have relied on scholarships such as rowing, rugby and cricket for example show that if those sports were barred or had certain limits of numbers to each sport, it would allow for the big 3 original AAGPS sports as Rugby, Rowing and Cricket to thrive in numbers, participation and thus let Newington do better without reliance on sports scholarships to get them 'over the line' to gain a premiership.
Silly,silly statement.If the kids playing winter tennis or "newfit" had to play Rugby, they are more likely to be in the 7th's than to be keeping an import out of the 1's.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
It seems ridiculous that so many boys throughout the GPS are neglecting the traditional australian sports. This is why rugby numbers are dwindling across the state. Support for rugby is going down because people aren't encouraged to play rugby as younguns, preffering the easier soccer and rugby league. Oh well what can we do?

Wolf Out.
i presume you are stirring the pot...junior league and soccer are easier??? how is League not a traditional Australian sport??

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
What is this "newfit" ???? Can you belt someone or get belted by someone?
Newfit is basically an all round fitness program that was formerly named after the hit fitness craze called 'crossfit'. It runs throughout winter and summer, but had recently become a popular alternative for boys who are wanting to make a 1sts team in the winter or summer and need the fitness in the off season.

It means that top sports players dont get to benefit through playing the main stream sports and dont get to use their talents in sports that they may not think the would be as good at. A good example was the 7ths rugby team for newington 2 years ago. It had 1 or 2 star water polo players in it that ended up being the star rugby players for the 7ths and scoring numerous tries for them and being 3rd grade players out of it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
None whatsoever. No one cares about basketball. It rates right up there with soccer, golf and cross country as a school sport. Should be barred. All of them. Make them either Row or play Cricket in summer and Rugby in winter. God forsake us all if someone starts me up about ozzie rules. :)
I'm not convinced about cricket.
I've always thought its an individuals game masquerading as a team sport.
This weeks shenanigans in India ten to confirm my view.
So rowing and rugby it is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
Moving onwards, who do you think will star in each GPS team. Give me three names from each of the 6 schools competing in the 1st's competition. Perhaps a 1st XV Rookie, a rising star and an established great footballer. Hopefully will give us some insights on who to watch over the next few seasons.

Wolf Out.

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
i hear the 1st XV have lost the great asset Frankie Noble Shelton. A prime future member of the team, arising out of the 16s, now in his final year, and let down by a broken hand. Such a shame, and a great loss for the school. Will this effect the premiership result???

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm not convinced about cricket.
I've always thought its an individuals game masquerading as a team sport.
This weeks shenanigans in India ten to confirm my view.
So rowing and rugby it is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always found that post match drinks in the team local after a hard day in the field were a great team event.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Moving onwards, who do you think will star in each GPS team. Give me three names from each of the 6 schools competing in the 1st's competition. Perhaps a 1st XV Rookie, a rising star and an established great footballer. Hopefully will give us some insights on who to watch over the next few seasons.

Wolf Out.

King's:

1. Established great footballer: Jack McCalman (7) - played Oz schoolboys A's last year and Youth Olympic Seven's this year. Has got taller and heavier and will return to the captaincy after captaining the 13A's, 14A's, 15A's & 16A's in previous years.
2. Rising star: Expect big things from Rory Davis (9) - had the Oz schools half back ahead of him at King's last year and will relish the challenges in 2013
3. Ist XV Rookie: Lots of big wraps on David Ballantyne (8) - a year 11 boy who will make the first XV.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
i hear the 1st XV have lost the great asset Frankie Noble Shelton. A prime future member of the team, arising out of the 16s, now in his final year, and let down by a broken hand. Such a shame, and a great loss for the school. Will this effect the premiership result???

he will not have any chance of making the 1st XV, he barely got game in the 16A's, played in and out due to various gym related injuries and now may make a possibility of making the 3rd XV.

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
he will not have any chance of making the 1st XV, he barely got game in the 16A's, played in and out due to various gym related injuries and now may make a possibility of making the 3rd XV.

interesting, so you believe the best he will make is the 3rd XV.... I thought he was a future star for newington with the bulk he had put on in the summer.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
King's:

1. Established great footballer: Jack McCalman (7) - played Oz schoolboys A's last year and Youth Olympic Seven's this year. Has got taller and heavier and will return to the captaincy after captaining the 13A's, 14A's, 15A's & 16A's in previous years.
2. Rising star: Expect big things from Rory Davis (9) - had the Oz schools half back ahead of him at King's last year and will relish the challenges in 2013
3. Ist XV Rookie: Lots of big wraps on David Ballantyne (8) - a year 11 boy who will make the first XV.
Thankyou Mr CTPE

Anyone else got an opinion on the other schools? I think this is a great template for anyone else to respond. Anyone with insights, particularly with NEW, View and Joeys would be great.

Wolf Out.

Starting Lineup

Stan Wickham (3)
Broken Hand ? He should be out for 6 weeks.

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
Broken Hand ? He should be out for 6 weeks.
As a newington supporter I am most interested in the high rating of this player. Its mentioned he came from last year 16As. Although an improving side with potential,it seemed to lack any real stand out players who would force their way into the 2013 1st XV. Or has the execellent coaching and preparation, over the break, by Mr Brad Gill and Tim Rapp turned some of our last year 16s into real stars.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Thankyou Mr CTPE

Anyone else got an opinion on the other schools? I think this is a great template for anyone else to respond. Anyone with insights, particularly with NEW, View and Joeys would be great.

Wolf Out.
ESTABLISHED GREAT FOOTBALLER - Matt Sandell - Australian schoolboys player from 2012, he will most likely captin the Joeys side for 2013. Talk is he could move from 3 to 2 for Joeys, either way I think well see him in the schoolboys side again, maybe as captain. Could also become the most capped schoolboy of all time with the UK tour coming up.

RISING STAR - Tevita Mackini - the Tongan halfback played a few 1st XV games last year. With Patty Curtain around he could be playing 9 or maybe even 6, either way he is a player to watch.

1st XV Rookie - Max Knight/Josh Canturi - Atleast one of these boys will play in the backrow this year. Coming from last years 16As Josh was very hard down by in not making a NSW side whilst Max was away for rep selection. Neither are the biggest blokes, but both tough as. Will make a good pair for the 2014 side and possibly this year.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
ESTABLISHED GREAT FOOTBALLER - Matt Sandell - Australian schoolboys player from 2012, he will most likely captin the Joeys side for 2013. Talk is he could move from 3 to 2 for Joeys, either way I think well see him in the schoolboys side again, maybe as captain. Could also become the most capped schoolboy of all time with the UK tour coming up.

RISING STAR - Tevita Mackini - the Tongan halfback played a few 1st XV games last year. With Patty Curtain around he could be playing 9 or maybe even 6, either way he is a player to watch.

1st XV Rookie - Max Knight/Josh Canturi - Atleast one of these boys will play in the backrow this year. Coming from last years 16As Josh was very hard down by in not making a NSW side whilst Max was away for rep selection. Neither are the biggest blokes, but both tough as. Will make a good pair for the 2014 side and possibly this year.
Ahhhh Random2, we meet again.

Nice post i do agree with Tevita. My younger brother played against him last year and rated him as an excellent addition to Joeys, should be good to see him develop.

Any others from Riverview, New, or Scots?

Wolf Out.

Status
Not open for further replies.