• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Actually I believe that wreckless has posted the 1000th reply. Post 1 is the Original Post. The first reply is post 2. Therefore the 1000th post goes to my good self, but wreckless has the honour of the 1000th reply.

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)
The 2013 NSW Schools RU Calendar & trials schedule is available for viewing in the resource library of the NSWSRU website.
http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/2013_NSWSRU_CALENDAR_as_of_9.4.13.pdf

KeyDates
18 May Inter school matches commence for GPS RUGBY SCHOOLS
1 June GPS RUGBY RD 1
16 June GPS U16 (Presidents) trials at Kings
18 June U18 Trials at Knox AICES v GPS III, CAS II vs GPS II, CAS I vs GPS I
21 June U18 Trials at Knox (Curagul) Cnty v AICES, GPS III v CCC, CAS II v ISA II, GPS II v CHS II, CAS I vs ISA I, CHS I v GPS I
22/23 June NSW SRU U16 Champs at Knox
9 Jun - 6 Jul ASRU U18 Champs at Riverview
7 September Last Rd of the 2013 GPS Rugby competition
TBA ARU U16 Champs at TBA

After what round do they pick GPS rep sides?
Also any tips on the U16's?

Batman

Bob McCowan (2)
look out for Alex Hancock from riverview to make a splash in the team currently in the second row for the seconds
Also look out for Joeys U16 star Tom wright at fly half

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
After what round do they pick GPS rep sides?

The GPS rep sides are being "announced" immediately after the conclusion of the Round 2 games. As to when they are being "picked" your guess is as good as mine. As the selectors have only have one or two trial games (if they get to them) and only the first two GPS rounds to look at players my guess is that they may already have the GPS I's and II's pencilled in based on who is available from last year.
I'm sure the sides that they pick would be quite different if the GPS sides were chosen at the end of the GPS rounds rather than effectively at the start of the GPS comp but the rep schoolboys program is such that this is not possible.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
The GPS rep sides are being "announced" immediately after the conclusion of the Round 2 games. As to when they are being "picked" your guess is as good as mine. As the selectors have only have one or two trial games (if they get to them) and only the first two GPS rounds to look at players my guess is that they may already have the GPS I's and II's pencilled in based on who is available from last year.
I'm sure the sides that they pick would be quite different if the GPS sides were chosen at the end of the GPS rounds rather than effectively at the start of the GPS comp but the rep schoolboys program is such that this is not possible.

I think you are dead right about the GPS 1s and 2s having already been picked because of the competition set up. The current GPS players who made last years GPS teams, NSW Schools and Australian Schools plus any others who are in the NGS will be in already. Having only 2 GPS rounds before selecting the teams does not allow other players the opportunity to really shine as the GPS competition progresses. Effectively a real star who misses GPS selections also misses the opportunity to play for NSW or Australian Schools in 2013.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
I think you are dead right about the GPS 1s and 2s having already been picked because of the competition set up. The current GPS players who made last years GPS teams, NSW Schools and Australian Schools plus any others who are in the NGS will be in already. Having only 2 GPS rounds before selecting the teams does not allow other players the opportunity to really shine as the GPS competition progresses. Effectively a real star who misses GPS selections also misses the opportunity to play for NSW or Australian Schools in 2013.

Following your philosophy gpsOB - who are likely to be the unlucky ones to miss out? Take out the categories that you've nominated ( The current GPS players who made last years GPS teams, NSW Schools and Australian Schools plus any others who are in the NGS ) and are there any standout newcomers or young men who could be considered to be unlucky last year? Who should the selectors have their eyes on outside the categories mentioned?

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
on another note, I know has its first trial fixture against Oak hill, who are the other GPS schools versing?

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
Report from today i heard from some boys from river view:

The first and second xv played hale school from WA (10 years in a row western australia school boy champs from 2003- present)

First xv from riverview played the first half and second xv played second half.

Half Time Score: 29-5
Full time score: 50-17

Both teams still yet to face defeat his season. i think the river view firsts are the true underdogs this year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Following your philosophy gpsOB - who are likely to be the unlucky ones to miss out? Take out the categories that you've nominated ( The current GPS players who made last years GPS teams, NSW Schools and Australian Schools plus any others who are in the NGS ) and are there any standout newcomers or young men who could be considered to be unlucky last year? Who should the selectors have their eyes on outside the categories mentioned?

At this age group, there aren't often too many smokies. Any smokies are quickly found out with their skills and abilities promoted by both partial and impartial judges of rugby talent.

I'd echo wreckless and ask that the unlucky ones/late developers/interstate travellers/international movers/standout newcomers are identified.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)

At this age group, there aren't often too many smokies. Any smokies are quickly found out with their skills and abilities promoted by both partial and impartial judges of rugby talent.

I'd echo wreckless and ask that the unlucky ones/late developers/interstate travellers/international movers/standout newcomers are identified.

I suppose the crux of my argument is that the selectors and supporters won't necessarily know who these "smokies" are until well into the competition with this year's 10 round home and away season being a real test for all first XV squads. But this will not matter as the GPS sides would have been picked well before then. I accept that there is little that can be done about it because of the scheduling of the NSW Schools Championships.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)

HJ is on the money here. The gun players are in the NGS or were in a GPS team (Opens or U16s) or NSW Schools (Opens or U16s) last year.

I'd reckon that there are probably about 8 or 9 2012 NSW Schools U18 GPS players returning this year plus there are about 12 GPS boys from the 2012 NSW Schools U16's team. That's around 20 GPS players who represented NSW Schools at Opens or U16s level last year. In addition to this are the boys who played GPS Opens 1, 2 & 3 and U16 GPS Presidents 1s & 2s in 2012 but didn't make a State team. All up there's plenty of rep players to fill the three GPS Opens teams.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Play GPS 3's against CHS,CAS or ISA 1's and see how many get picked.
3rd choice from a field of 6 does not deserve to be selected for NSW,after a romp where they win by 50 odd points.
The selectors do not give nearly enough weight to the fact that
the 1's are a significantly tougher than the 2's games, whilst the 3's would be beaten by many School teams.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Report from today i heard from some boys from river view:

The first and second xv played hale school from WA (10 years in a row western australia school boy champs from 2003- present)

First xv from riverview played the first half and second xv played second half.

Half Time Score: 29-5
Full time score: 50-17

Both teams still yet to face defeat his season. i think the river view firsts are the true underdogs this year.

That's good news for View! From previous posts they will be a relatively young squad so, however they go this year, they will be set up for a really good 2014! Good luck to them!

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
Another great result from the River view boys over Marist College from Canberra. I actually went out to watch them yesterday on a beautiful day which was accommodated with some great running rugby from both schools.

2nd XV: one sided from the first whistle. The River view lads were to fast and to strong for there opponents. Quite a small side but very fit and fast. Looking forward to see how they handle a GPS side. Final Score: 65-10

1st XV: If you went off the scoreline you would say it was a one sided game. But the teams i thought were quite evenly matched with Marist being extremely strong at the breakdown. River view just seemed to be a little more clinical and the back line led by there great halves were to strong for the Marist boys. Final Score 31-12

I also had a quick chat to some of the river view boys as they walked past me. They told me that this was already there 5th game this season and i wasn't surprised seeing there fitness.

I was wondering if any other GPS sides had even had one trial game let alone 5?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
That's good news for View! From previous posts they will be a relatively young squad so, however they go this year, they will be set up for a really good 2014! Good luck to them!

Having already played 5 trial games as stated by GPStyle View appear well ahead of most other schools in terms of game fitness and especially contact. Whilst they are a young squad and many expect 2014 to be their year don't be surprised if they make very big noises this year especially if they get away to a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.