• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Only got to see the first half, and thought there were some interesting signs. Kellaway absolutely electric. Crichton still a star, but hasn't become a complete monster. Scots front row got pretty worked, and i reckon joeys and others, will target that area. Probably most interesting thing was looking at the 2 benches. Scots looked like a rabble and uninterested, while Christchurch bench were all sitting on the edge of their chairs, watching with interest. So think the new 2 round comp, will be interesting for scots.

Footy Writer

Bob McCowan (2)
1. Doug Streeter (Shore)
2. Jono Burke (Kings)
3. Matt Sandell (c) (Joeys)
4. Ned Hanigan (Joeys)
5. Lachie Cannell (Newington)
6. Olly Kamp (Scots)
7. Jack McCallum (Kings)
8. Angus Critchon (Scots)
9. Harry Emery (Shore)
10. Joey Lussick (Newington)
11. Taane Milne (Newington)
12. Tepai Morea (Newington)
13. Angus McGrath (Joeys)
14. Sam Mete (Riverview)
15. Andrew Kellaway (Scots)

Shore - 2
Kings - 2
Joeys - 3
Newington - 4
Scots - 3
View - 1

There are about 10 different options in the halves but I think it'll be Emery and Lussick. McGrath probably won't get picked in 1s as he isn't in NGS or JGS and played 2s last year, but he could end up in a NSW jersey if he gets picked in a GPS side.

All rumours from Stanmore are that Lussick is looking to play at 9 this season so that he can open up more representative windows for himself. This would push him to 9 and open up room for the likes of Deegan at 10. With not even a season of 1sts rugby under his belt, Emery is not ready to be playing for GPS.

On a related note there doesn't seem to be many stand-out centres this year (apart from Morea,) any ideas? Could Scots be looking to shift Kellaway here for his final season?

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Only got to see the first half, and thought there were some interesting signs. Kellaway absolutely electric. Crichton still a star, but hasn't become a complete monster. Scots front row got pretty worked, and i reckon joeys and others, will target that area. Probably most interesting thing was looking at the 2 benches. Scots looked like a rabble and uninterested, while Christchurch bench were all sitting on the edge of their chairs, watching with interest. So think the new 2 round comp, will be interesting for scots.
Brilliant tactics by NZ Coaching team. They started with their reserves, went 3 tries down then brought on their front line players to come from behind. This gives their side a better trial match experience in that reserves get a run and are kept interested, and the run on learn to dig deep.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
The haka wasn't bad. Kellaway at 10 and Styles at 15. CBH did give the front row a workout with two injured by the look of it. Scots raced to a 14 - 0 lead in the first half with defence in the Scots backs looking good. CBH resorted to rolling it in the forwards and this is where their two tries came from. Robbie Deans made a guest appearance during the game with one wag saying he was looking for players for the Lions matches. Overall it was an interesting match and a much needed hitout for the Scots boys and the 10 reserves. They are going to need a few more hitouts to get the combinations right. Roll on Round 1.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
The 2012 NSW schools players who seem to be returning are Sandell, Kellaway, Milne & Morea from NSW 1 and Tulloch, McCalman & Lussick from NSW 2. I think that Nathan Kelly may also have played for Combined Schools in 2012 so you would think that all of these would be reasonably certain starters subject to form and injuries.
Will Davies also played for NSW II's last year and then there are the boys who played in the U16 NSW Schools and SRU teams although the physical step up from U16's to Opens rugby can be difficult for some to handle.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
From some of the above posts it seems that Kings Rory Davis has fallen out of favour - at least among the contributors so far! Any particular reason? Maybe you have some inside goss CTPE? Also - not a lot of support for David Morris from New? Some excellent backrowers named though.

rugbscribe has Rory Davis in his list as one of the potential selections at halfback for the GPS I's and as random2 has stated there will be a hell of a lot of competition for the 9 and 10 GPS spots this year. Rory is certainly a big chance for the no. 9 jersey, a number that he's worn previously for NSW U15's and NSW Schools U16's. He had an excellent season last year in a very good King's seconds team that was pipped at the post by Joeys in the GPS 2nds premiership race with there only being one competition point difference between the teams. He also had Australian Schools half back Andrew Ferris ahead of him at Kings in 2012 and I expect that this year he will be a prime candidate for a GPS & NSW Schools jerseys.

As for Newington's David Morris he's a very talented player and from recollection made GPS III's last year - rugbyscribe also has him pencilled in his potential GPS I's team list and I think he's a big chance of being there. As usual though the competition for the back three loosies is always huge with plenty of very good players named by various posters to date. I think Jack McCalman is a certainty for the 7 spot so that'll leave plenty of players fighting for the 6 and 8 jerseys. I don't know that there's as much depth at 4 and 5 and maybe those bigger back three scrummies who are versatile enough can get a jersey in the second row.

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)
2. Sam Carter is not at Kings - I think Connor95 means Sam Cater from Shore. Angus Crichton is also from Scots not Shore.
That leaves the following from his list:
Kings - 4
Joeys - 7
Newington - 4
Scots - 3
Shore - 2
Riverview - 0

With 7 Joeys players and nil Riverview players Connor95 is no doubt a devout cerise and blue supporter! Newington also deserve a couple more in the list.

From the looks of other forum members ideas of GPS selections, it doesnt look like many have riverview in mind for any positionsSam Mete could get picked on one wing

biggameplayer

Stan Wickham (3)
1. Doug Streeter (E)
3. Matt Sandell (J) (C)
4. Lachie Cannell (N)
6. Dave Morris (N)
7. Ollie Kamp (S)
8. Angus Crichton (S)
9. Rory Davis (K)
10. Corey Tulloch (K)/ Jack Clancy (E)
11. Taana Milne (N)
12. Tepai Morea (N)
13. Angus McGrath (J)
14. Sam Mete (I)
15. Andrew Kellaway (S)

A bit light on hookers and second rowers this year in the AAGPS. After watching many games last year, I found that Olly Kamp is a far more effective footballer than Jack McCalman. McCalman, whilst good for his size, lacks the all round game that Kamp possesses. Hopefully the selectors see through the politics and pick the team on form. Obviously there are a few certainties in the backline, with Milne, Morea and Kellaway in my opinion already pencilled in. The biggest selection headache will come in picking the halves combination. Although only 17, I rate Jack Clancy very highly, and both times when he played Joeys he outplayed his counterpart Andrew Deegan. Whilst it is his 3rd year at the top level, Deegan will have to work on the attacking aspect of his game, which is in my opinion non-existent. Yes his defence is very good, but at the end of the day, it is the 10's role to guide his team around the field in attack.

After being picked in last years Aussie Schoolboys at 17, it looks as if Matt Sandell is again poised for higher representative honours. After watching him as the cornerstone of the Aussie scrum which dominated the darkness, Sandell in my mind is arguably the best player in the GPS. In saying that, both Kellaway and Morea will dispel any of those claims.

Footy Writer

Bob McCowan (2)
1. Doug Streeter (E)
3. Matt Sandell (J) (C)
4. Lachie Cannell (N)
6. Dave Morris (N)
7. Ollie Kamp (S)
8. Angus Crichton (S)
9. Rory Davis (K)
10. Corey Tulloch (K)/ Jack Clancy (E)
11. Taana Milne (N)
12. Tepai Morea (N)
13. Angus McGrath (J)
14. Sam Mete (I)
15. Andrew Kellaway (S)

A bit light on hookers and second rowers this year in the AAGPS. After watching many games last year, I found that Olly Kamp is a far more effective footballer than Jack McCalman. McCalman, whilst good for his size, lacks the all round game that Kamp possesses. Hopefully the selectors see through the politics and pick the team on form. Obviously there are a few certainties in the backline, with Milne, Morea and Kellaway in my opinion already pencilled in. The biggest selection headache will come in picking the halves combination. Although only 17, I rate Jack Clancy very highly, and both times when he played Joeys he outplayed his counterpart Andrew Deegan. Whilst it is his 3rd year at the top level, Deegan will have to work on the attacking aspect of his game, which is in my opinion non-existent. Yes his defence is very good, but at the end of the day, it is the 10's role to guide his team around the field in attack.

After being picked in last years Aussie Schoolboys at 17, it looks as if Matt Sandell is again poised for higher representative honours. After watching him as the cornerstone of the Aussie scrum which dominated the darkness, Sandell in my mind is arguably the best player in the GPS. In saying that, both Kellaway and Morea will dispel any of those claims.

Could Ned Hanigan (Joeys) fill in your missing 2nd row spot?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Any joeys mail on jake finnane . Haven't heard anything of whether he is in opens yet?

Currently doing athletics although he may still be injured. He will be back in time for footy but I doubt well see him in 1s, probably 2s. Expect to see him in NSW 16s side though and will do some damage next year

GPStyle

Herbert Moran (7)
Riverview hopefuls that i think should be considered for GPS I's or II's:

Nathan Kelly (Prop) JGS Combined States 2012
Hosea Fotukava (Hooker) NGS Combined States 2012
Lincoln Whiteley (Second Row or Back Row) Aboriginal under 16's 2012
Mike Kennedy (Half Back) First XV 2012. MOST UNDERRATED PLAYER IN GPS. Impeccable passing and Kicking Game
Tom Molloy (Centres) NGS and First XV 2012
Henry Hutchison (Centres or Wing) NGS, NSW 16's aged 15.
Sam Mete (Wing) Electric Pace. Fastest player in GPS. JGS

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
Riverview hopefuls that i think should be considered for GPS I's or II's:

Nathan Kelly (Prop) JGS Combined States 2012
Hosea Fotukava (Hooker) NGS Combined States 2012
Lincoln Whiteley (Second Row or Back Row) Aboriginal under 16's 2012
Mike Kennedy (Half Back) First XV 2012. MOST UNDERRATED PLAYER IN GPS. Impeccable passing and Kicking Game
Tom Molloy (Centres) NGS and First XV 2012
Henry Hutchison (Centres or Wing) NGS, NSW 16's aged 15.
Sam Mete (Wing) Electric Pace. Fastest player in GPS. JGS

What about Jack Bowditch? He's in NGS as well I think? What position is he likely to play this year?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Jack is a large hunk of a lad and IMHO is better suited to the 2nd row than front row.

Shorter stature (ie stumpy) props usually overwhelm the more lengthy and top heavy opponents.

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
1. Doug Streeter (Shore)
2. Jono Burke (Kings)
3. Matt Sandell (c) (Joeys)
4. Ned Hanigan (Joeys)
5. Lachie Cannell (Newington)
6. Olly Kamp (Scots)
7. Jack McCallum (Kings)
8. Angus Critchon (Scots)
9. Harry Emery (Shore)
10. Joey Lussick (Newington)
11. Taane Milne (Newington)
12. Tepai Morea (Newington)
13. Angus McGrath (Joeys)
14. Sam Mete (Riverview)
15. Andrew Kellaway (Scots)

Shore - 2
Kings - 2
Joeys - 3
Newington - 4
Scots - 3
View - 1

There are about 10 different options in the halves but I think it'll be Emery and Lussick. McGrath probably won't get picked in 1s as he isn't in NGS or JGS and played 2s last year, but he could end up in a NSW jersey if he gets picked in a GPS side.

I noticed you also like Harry Emery from Shore at halfback and he could be the real surprise in this position in 2013 but as you say there is a lot of competition for the position this year. If he gets picked there they'll need a very experienced 10 to partner him. One player who hasn't been mentioned there is Ben Starkey from Scots who went very well alternating with Horwitz in this position last year. (I pretty sure he's still playing this year?)

I like Kamp at 6 and he and Mccalman at open side would offer a very dynamic combination around the field. Not sure about Streeter at loose head, he's a good player but IMO both Kelly (Riverview) and Bateman (Kings) are better scrumagers and they also have size on him. Both are pretty mobile as well and Bateman in particular has a huge work rate for a prop but as Kelly played Combined States last year he might get the nod though to partner Sandell in the front row. I'd forgot about Sam Mete and he's also a very good choice on the wing. I thought Angus McGrath was more a fullback/winger than centre? He's a very dependable type of player but he'll face a lot of competition for a centre position in GPS 1's but could jag a spot in the other GPS sides.

Because of the short lead in time of only a couple of trials and two GPS rounds before the sides are announced I'd agree that the selectors would already have to have a draft 1's and 2's sides picked based on the 2012 rep teams, form towards the end of last season and those in NGS or JGS squads.

Batman

Bob McCowan (2)
it would be almost impossible for view going worse this year compared to last year only winning one game

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
GPS 1st XV (no bias)

1. Doug Streeter (Shore) - Strong last year, proved himself undoubtedly against his bigger opponents and is very mobile.

2. Jono Burke (Kings) - Solid Unit, hits hard and should represent kings well both in this team and the Kings team.

3. Matt Sandell (Joeys) (C) - Worked well with piggy (Tom Robertson) last year and shows dominance in the scrum and his ball running.

4. Anthony Vasilis (Newington) - had continuous injuries last year e.g. Broken thumb and only got a good chance to show what he is worth in the Scots trial game and later in the season for the 2nds. He tackles well and supports any player thats round him.
Ned Hanigan (Joeys)- Shown his 'might' in the 1st VIII and a leader in the Joeys school. He will be fit and ready to play GPS firsts.

5. Lachie Cannell (Newington)- In the premiership team from New in 2012, didn't get any representative shots last year but due to his size and age (is on pathways), he will show his might and be even better than last year.

6. Olly Kamp (Scots)- Really powerful on the field with ball in hand and in defence, aggressive player all round and would intimidate opponents even before the game has started.

7. Jack McCalman (Kings) (C) - Has strong family genes, represented the AUS 7s team and is a born leader both at school and on the footy field.

8. Angus Critchon (Scots)- Will have gained more size since now playing 1sts for the 2nd year and being in year 10 last year. was in NGS squad and tackles like a wall.
David Morris (Newington)-Underdog of the Backrows, Red-headed Kiwi that can do the job espically in rucks and mauls. He was in last years New 1sts who took out the premiership.
Rob Black (Kings)- Seen him play excellent in the 2nd XV for Kings and should be ready to go further and better through the 1sts and GPS 1sts.

9. Joey Lussick (Newington) - Has played games in the 1sts since year 9 for Newington with a premiership under his belt last year. he will do very well in this position and his size at this position separates him from the other halfbacks.

10. Andrew Deegan (Joeys) (VC) - Strong lad, able to put on hits and take hits. Very capable leader on the field and will represent his school and the GPS very well.

11. Taane Milne (Newington) - Was in the 1st XV premiership team for 2012, represented NSW 1s, Australia A Schoolboys and has that infamous palm to his name. Also has gained even more size and speed since last year. He is also playing the Roosters U20s.

12. Tepai Morea (Newington) - Was in the 1st XV premiership team for 2012, represented NSW 1s, Australian Schoolboys and the Australian youth 7s. All of this being done in year 11. He is a danger man in any team whether it's be in league or union, he will go far.

13. Needs to be filled in.

14. Josh Mitchell (Newington)- Shown his worth in the 2nd XV team for Newington with numerous big hits and tries to his name. He is very aggressive on the field and his intimidation factor is worthwhile in any team.
Henry Hutchison (Riverview) - In year 11 but his very quick and a strong runner with the ball. Played for GPS 16s last year.

15. Andrew Kellaway (Scots)- Undoubtedly one of the finest 'year 7' starters the GPS schools have seen in a while. He has numerous GPS, state and national representations to his name. He will do the same as other year and be quick, strong and read plays very well.

Although a solid supporter of Newington, this would look to have as much bias in my team as any other team posted. But the reason i have chosen these boys is because of the following reasons as listed above.

To prove what I have said, take a look at the boys playing in video:

quote]
Now I don't want to put too finer point onthis rhetoric, but NO BIAS???? FFS the only person you haven't named from The dark vales of Stanmore is Old mate that burns the snags on the BBQ at home matches. Why don't you name New 2nd XV as GPS 2's as well.
No Bias , my arse.

Status
Not open for further replies.