• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Now I don't want to put too finer point onthis rhetoric, but NO BIAS???? FFS the only person you haven't named from The dark vales of Stanmore is Old mate that burns the snags on the BBQ at home matches. Why don't you name New 2nd XV as GPS 2's as well.
No Bias , my arse.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I noticed you also like Harry Emery from Shore at halfback and he could be the real surprise in this position in 2013 but as you say there is a lot of competition for the position this year. If he gets picked there they'll need a very experienced 10 to partner him. One player who hasn't been mentioned there is Ben Starkey from Scots who went very well alternating with Horwitz in this position last year. (I pretty sure he's still playing this year?)

I like Kamp at 6 and he and Mccalman at open side would offer a very dynamic combination around the field. Not sure about Streeter at loose head, he's a good player but IMO both Kelly (Riverview) and Bateman (Kings) are better scrumagers and they also have size on him. Both are pretty mobile as well and Bateman in particular has a huge work rate for a prop but as Kelly played Combined States last year he might get the nod though to partner Sandell in the front row. I'd forgot about Sam Mete and he's also a very good choice on the wing. I thought Angus McGrath was more a fullback/winger than centre? He's a very dependable type of player but he'll face a lot of competition for a centre position in GPS 1's but could jag a spot in the other GPS sides.

Because of the short lead in time of only a couple of trials and two GPS rounds before the sides are announced I'd agree that the selectors would already have to have a draft 1's and 2's sides picked based on the 2012 rep teams, form towards the end of last season and those in NGS or JGS squads.
This might sound strange Rugbyscribe, but both of these boys are good on the floor and in the contest. What about trying the old style left/right flanker of yore. SA do it very well with Burger and Roussouw. I think that these two men are intelligent enough to switch throughout the match if it was needed

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
This might sound strange Rugbyscribe, but both of these boys are good on the floor and in the contest. What about trying the old style left/right flanker of yore. SA do it very well with Burger and Roussouw. I think that these two men are intelligent enough to switch throughout the match if it was needed

It's a good suggestion Brian as they both have very similar games. Kamp has good size and that really hard edge to his play which will complement his Scot's team mate Angus Chrichton if he gets the 8 jumper. McCalman is a great scavenger and a very good ball runner who links very well with his backs when in space. I thought last year that size may be an issue for him going forward but a couple of boys in the NGS squad have told me that he's shot up height wise and thickened up as well.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Now I don't want to put too finer point onthis rhetoric, but NO BIAS???? FFS the only person you haven't named from The dark vales of Stanmore is Old mate that burns the snags on the BBQ at home matches. Why don't you name New 2nd XV as GPS 2's as well.
No Bias , my arse.

Well when these boys i have mentioned starting putting some joeys boys on their arses and winning games, i guess my point can be taken.

Footy Writer

Bob McCowan (2)
In regard to the new structure of the competition:

I'm not entirely sure if I'm correct in saying this but here is how I understand it so far (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) The 1sts and 2nds play a home and away competition with two competition games against each side, whilst the 3rds play in an extended one round competition with the GPS minnows TAS, High and Grammar.

Whilst I do believe that this competition has been crying out for a home and away format for years now, I'm not sure if the AAGPS have thought this through entirely from a logistical point of view. If the Riverview 2nds are playing the Scots 2nds and on that same day the Riverview 3rds are up in Armidale, or playing Grammar or the Weigall fields, who will be the reserves for Riverview 2nds if there is an injury? Will this mean that the schools 4ths become more heavily relied on, or the 16s are called up? Whilst this will further test the full depth of the school's rugby program, which I believe is what the AAGPS were trying to achieve in making the home and away format, I fear that this will cause create more problems than benefits. I believe that new format this will open up the door to schools fielding teams greater than 15, so that they have adequate players to call up from the bench. Surely this defeats the purpose of schoolboy rugby entirely, because at the end of the day it's just about boys getting out there and having as much fun and getting as much game time as possible.

Please let me know if the AAGPS has thought up a solution to this apparent problem, or if what I have just said makes little to no sense. FW.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In regard to the new structure of the competition:

I'm not entirely sure if I'm correct in saying this but here is how I understand it so far (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) The 1sts and 2nds play a home and away competition with two competition games against each side, whilst the 3rds play in an extended one round competition with the GPS minnows TAS, High and Grammar.

Whilst I do believe that this competition has been crying out for a home and away format for years now, I'm not sure if the AAGPS have thought this through entirely from a logistical point of view. If the Riverview 2nds are playing the Scots 2nds and on that same day the Riverview 3rds are up in Armidale, or playing Grammar or the Weigall fields, who will be the reserves for Riverview 2nds if there is an injury? Will this mean that the schools 4ths become more heavily relied on, or the 16s are called up? Whilst this will further test the full depth of the school's rugby program, which I believe is what the AAGPS were trying to achieve in making the home and away format, I fear that this will cause create more problems than benefits. I believe that new format this will open up the door to schools fielding teams greater than 15, so that they have adequate players to call up from the bench. Surely this defeats the purpose of schoolboy rugby entirely, because at the end of the day it's just about boys getting out there and having as much fun and getting as much game time as possible.

Please let me know if the AAGPS has thought up a solution to this apparent problem, or if what I have just said makes little to no sense. FW.

My understanding is that this issue was the reason that SGS were not permitted to play in 2nds - since the impact would be felt in 1sts.
It is just possible that the non minnows decided that in the interests of fostering rugby in the present minnows some sacrifice on their part was justified, and if there is some compromise in 1 week of their season to endeavour to encourage the minnows the medium to long term benefit is worth it.
Thats what I'd like to think, anyway.
It is only a game.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Well when these boys i have mentioned starting putting some joeys boys on their arses and winning games, i guess my point can be taken.
Why just Joeys? And how prey tell, will the couple of SJC boys play against their own?
Have Newington bought a few more from the other GPS to make sure they celebrate their anniversary in fine style?
Have they snatched young Jack McCalman from the North West as well?
Shan't they attempt to defeat all comers and stand proud?
Wake up young man. It is a long season ahead and if, after all of your diatribe, proves correct. Good luck to you.
BUT...... There is also SIC,Shore,TKS,TSC and SJC that may just wish to upset your little apple cart. Stop being so condescending in your thoughts and maybe, just maybe, some of us on this line may pay attention to you

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Why just Joeys? And how prey tell, will the couple of SJC boys play against their own?
Have Newington bought a few more from the other GPS to make sure they celebrate their anniversary in fine style?
Wake up young man. It is a long season ahead and if, after all of your diatribe, proves correct. Good luck to you.
BUT.. There is also SIC,Shore,TKS,TSC and SJC that may just wish to upset your little apple cart. Stop being so condescending in your thoughts and maybe, just maybe, some of us on this line may pay attention to you
Need a beer there old mate?

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
BUT.. There is also SIC,Shore,TKS,TSC and SJC that may just wish to upset your little apple cart. Stop being so condescending in your thoughts and maybe, just maybe, some of us on this line may pay attention to you

This should explain it well enough.

With having been at Newington College from 99'-07', I have watched my fair share of thrashings week in and week out. Seeing joeys, Kings, Riverview flog our 1sts every year with the only good thing coming out of the game would be if Newington would've scored a try or put a big hit on. During that time i could only recall Newington beating joeys in either 03' or 04' and it was like winning a grand final. All the oldboys, parents and boys made it seem like they had won the greatest game ever played (not even exaggerating of you were there).

So now myself being an old boy, it does give me great bragging rights to say that Joeys has not beaten Newington since 2009 and in the space of 3 years, 2 premierships in the 3 years have been won outright by Newington.

Yes, it is noticed that Newington have enhanced its 1st XV immensely to win on the 150th Anniversary, but name a school in the GPS 1sts Rugby competition that isn't 'enhancing' its team to win?

Jack McCalman is not coming to Newington, he would look too suspicious as he as tongan blood in him.

And bloody oath this year's Newington 1st XV will try and defeat any school that would dare take a premiership trophy away from Newington's trophy cabinet. They may come from afar across Sydney and abroad to play for Newington, but by god they have passion for the school and the camaraderie that leads a team to victory.

Footy Writer

Bob McCowan (2)

With having been at Newington College from 99'-07', I have watched my fair share of thrashings week in and week out. Seeing joeys, Kings, Riverview flog our 1sts every year with the only good thing coming out of the game would be if Newington would've scored a try or put a big hit on. During that time i could only recall Newington beating joeys in either 03' or 04' and it was like winning a grand final. All the oldboys, parents and boys made it seem like they had won the greatest game ever played (not even exaggerating of you were there).

So now myself being an old boy, it does give me great bragging rights to say that Joeys has not beaten Newington since 2009 and in the space of 3 years, 2 premierships in the 3 years have been won outright by Newington.

Yes, it is noticed that Newington have enhanced its 1st XV immensely to win on the 150th Anniversary, but name a school in the GPS 1sts Rugby competition that isn't 'enhancing' its team to win?

Jack McCalman is not coming to Newington, he would look too suspicious as he as tongan blood in him.

And bloody oath this year's Newington 1st XV will try and defeat any school that would dare take a premiership trophy away from Newington's trophy cabinet. They may come from afar across Sydney and abroad to play for Newington, but by god they have passion for the school and the camaraderie that leads a team to victory.

I agree with you GPSrow. I think that at the end of the day, Newington has to be applauded for improving their entire rugby program. Whether this is a result of imports or not is not for me to say, but at the end of the day the results have been carried through the agegroups (mostly) and there is no doubt that these successful 1st XV's are beginning to leave a legacy behind them.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
No Bias , my arse.

I don't think GPSrow's post really deserved this vitriolic response, nor did BW need the knee jerk reaction back. The idea about posing potential teams is fraught with differing opinions. Other than Vasilis and Mitchell ( who have both been mentioned in dispatches on this thread and would certainly be worthy of consideration ) the other Newington players named are well in the mix.

Overall this potential team isn't a bad attempt - what issues does anyone have with Cannell, Morris, Lussick, Milne & Moroea? Sure there are options and we have all considered the other top players ( and there are plenty of them, particularly in the backrow ) - that's the point of a dialogue and discussion.

Maybe both just chill out and look forward to what promises to be a great season! There will be plenty of time and opportunity for comment and remonstration after the GPS teams are announced!!! :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Where are the "enhancments" in this years Newington squad GPSrow? Looks to be mostly returns from 2012 and established players from the 2nd's and 3rd's stepping up. You seem to be "connected" - where are the surprises coming from? Cheers, Wreckless
This has to be bordering on discussion whose name shall not be mentioned.
If you truly have no idea of the answer to your question go to the the scholarships thread and get yourself informed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think GPSrow's post really deserved this vitriolic response, nor did BW need the knee jerk reaction back. The idea about posing potential teams is fraught with differing opinions. Other than Vasilis and Mitchell ( who have both been mentioned in dispatches on this thread and would certainly be worthy of consideration ) the other Newington players named are well in the mix.

Overall this potential team isn't a bad attempt - what issues does anyone have with Cannell, Morris, Lussick, Milne & Moroea? Sure there are options and we have all considered the other top players ( and there are plenty of them, particularly in the backrow ) - that's the point of a dialogue and discussion.

Maybe both just chill out and look forward to what promises to be a great season! There will be plenty of time and opportunity for comment and remonstration after the GPS teams are announced!!! :)
Dear Wreckless

You little Henry Kissinger, you. As you are a regular contributor here I will remind you that we all appreciate you bringing the calming influence to cynical old farts like myself and the dissillusioned enfant terribles. But as far as being vitriolic? IMHO I thought I could have been a lot worse. But it is here, in an open forum that we can air grievances about everything from the lions tour to gay athletes (could be same thread ;) ) Its just that the next part of my scribing would belong in the thread that we dare not utter its name here. It would be more than likely about living ones life vicariously through Cheque books, but I won't go there. Again thank you Wreckless, your parents would be proud of you

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)

Well said GPS row
Beening Old Boy myself I cannot forget that period in Newington's rugby history, where we simply made up the numbers for the other GPS schools to run all over us. I remember talking to another old boy, one Saturaday and he mentioned how he just wanted to cry every Sunday Morning upon reading the GPS rugby results concerning Newington. So to those critics who cast a dose of moral outrage at Newington's improved rugby results over last couple of years because of some selfrighteous belief that we are buying GPS Championships let we remind you ,gentleman, that rugby is a team game. You can have champion players in your team but it will not ensure you of a priemiership. Just ask the Kings coach of 2010 who had 8 Australian schoolboys in his side.
If Newington wins this year it will be because of commitment by our boys, team and school spirit, mateship, excellence of coaching and teamwork. Yes we have some greater players but we also and more importantly have the basis of great team with a positive winning culture. In this matter check out our rugby site and message conveyed by the Captain of our 2012 1st XV as to how we approach our games. It is uplifting and very Australian.
Also on the stairs leading to the Johnson Oval are the words that define the efforts of Australian diggers during the Battle of the Kokoda Track. Please when visiting read those words and you will appreciate the approach Newington has as a rugby school.
With 10 GPS matches the competition now sets new levels of phyiscal and mental intensity, so these qualities will have to be in abudance for all GPS schools. So to those critics who wish to hide behind a sense of moral outrage please quote those words and our 2012 Captain's speech, before boring us again with the your ill-thoughout, selfrighteous comments about Newington rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well said GPS row
Beening Old Boy myself I cannot forget that period in Newington's rugby history, where we simply made up the numbers for the other GPS schools to run all over us. I remember talking to another old boy, one Saturaday and he mentioned how he just wanted to cry every Sunday Morning upon reading the GPS rugby results concerning Newington. So to those critics who cast a dose of moral outrage at Newington's improved rugby results over last couple of years because of some selfrighteous belief that we are buying GPS Championships let we remind you ,gentleman, that rugby is a team game. You can have champion players in your team but it will not ensure you of a priemiership. Just ask the Kings coach of 2010 who had 8 Australian schoolboys in his side.
If Newington wins this year it will be because of commitment by our boys, team and school spirit, mateship, excellence of coaching and teamwork. Yes we have some greater players but we also and more importantly have the basis of great team with a positive winning culture. In this matter check out our rugby site and message conveyed by the Captain of our 2012 1st XV as to how we approach our games. It is uplifting and very Australian.
Also on the stairs leading to the Johnson Oval are the words that define the efforts of Australian diggers during the Battle of the Kokoda Track. Please when visiting read those words and you will appreciate the approach Newington has as a rugby school.
With 10 GPS matches the competition now sets new levels of phyiscal and mental intensity, so these qualities will have to be in abudance for all GPS schools. So to those critics who wish to hide behind a sense of moral outrage please quote those words and our 2012 Captain's speech, before boring us again with the your ill-thoughout, selfrighteous comments about Newington rugby.

Is there a reason you wont post this in the scholarships thread?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Very Much So, because its about training, coaching, team and School Spirit, a sense of belonging. I don't mention scholarships anywhere in my post. What I seek to convey is and I repeat that rugby is a team sport and even talented teams can fall if their combinations and self-belief are not together.

Henry V would have said " We brave few, We happy few , We band of Brothers

As I allued to this year the GPS competition is going to be far tougher because of 10 matches as opposed to the 7 or really six matches of past seasons. My feeling at the moment is no school will be undefeated so the depth that a school has will be extremely important This lack of depth may well be a long term weakness for Newington due a weak U/16 age group now in the open division and low numbers in the open division. I would be most interested in numbers this year for the opens, although I suspect it might only be six or seven. If any new supporters know the rugby numbers this year from the 13s to the Opens I would be appreciative of your knowledge in this matter. Info on school numbers would also be appreciated , thanks
You're dreaming

stokes

Stan Wickham (3)
Brilliant tactics by NZ Coaching team. They started with their reserves, went 3 tries down then brought on their front line players to come from behind. This gives their side a better trial match experience in that reserves get a run and are kept interested, and the run on learn to dig deep.
saving themselves for the big game against st augustines by the sounds of things

Status
Not open for further replies.