• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
Gentlemen it has been a while, a long, well earned trip to the Bahamas has allowed me to come back fresher than ever. After reading over the last few comments in this forum, i fear in my absence that it has become more of a slagging contest than a forum regarding the school 1st, 2nd and 3rd XV teams. You sound like a bunch of soccer players! But now im back, i want to know, has there been any dramatic changes in the lineups of our squads? Has Newington scored any more contracts? Has SHORE decided it likes more than just rowing? Do Joeys realise they are falling behind of late? And have Riverview, Kings and Scots decided to reach for their full potential and knock the New Boys off top spot? Fill me in fellas.

Wolf Out.

biggameplayer

Stan Wickham (3)
I think one player that has gone under the radar as far as discussion on this forum is Jum Woodhill (E) (I think thats his name). Last year playing in the Shore 1st XV in year 10, he did a solid job playing against classy counterparts. The amount of bias shown toward a number of players is quite ridiculous and mark my words, this young man will prove to be a tough opponent for any opposition 6 or 7 this year.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Having already played 5 trial games as stated by GPStyle View appear well ahead of most other schools in terms of game fitness and especially contact. Whilst they are a young squad and many expect 2014 to be their year don't be surprised if they make very big noises this year especially if they get away to a good start.
I also think View will surprise a few this year.

This is shaping up to be an interesting encounter in Round 1 - View at home to Newington! I understand that New have a trial against Oakhill this weekend then a break ( AAGPS Athletics )until they play Kinross at the end of May. Given View's solid preparation maybe New will be a little "underdone"? It's an important round as it sets the tone for the rest of the season, but with the new format a loss is not catastrophic!

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Best part of the week interstate and I've missed so much of the banter!! Got stuck reading about AFL all bloody week!!(and listening to blokes rave on about it over drinks - found one gent though who was a big Rebels supporter - liked a glass of red or two as well :) )

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is shaping up to be an interesting encounter in Round 1 - View at home to Newington! I understand that New have a trial against Oakhill this weekend then a break ( AAGPS Athletics )until they play Kinross at the end of May. Given View's solid preparation maybe New will be a little "underdone"? It's an important round as it sets the tone for the rest of the season, but with the new format a loss is not catastrophic!

Have New played any trials to date Wreckless? Reading the recent posts it seems that View, Joeys and Scots have been playing plenty.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think one player that has gone under the radar as far as discussion on this forum is Jum Woodhill (E) (I think thats his name). Last year playing in the Shore 1st XV in year 10, he did a solid job playing against classy counterparts. The amount of bias shown toward a number of players is quite ridiculous and mark my words, this young man will prove to be a tough opponent for any opposition 6 or 7 this year.
This is a good call BGP and I rate this kid very highly - a tireless worker around the field. The big problem for him is that there are so many good loose forwards in the GPS atm - he may well jag a GPS rep spot in the 2's or 3's but his time will come big time next year.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Have New played any trials to date Wreckless? Reading the recent posts it seems that View, Joeys and Scots have been playing plenty.

Intensive internal stuff ( including over the recent holidays ) but no actual trial games! I believe that even this weekends trial against Oakhill has been trumped by athletics with many potential 1st's & 2nd's players unable to play due to athletics committments! The following week is AAGPS Athletics Carnival so no footy! :(

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Intensive internal stuff ( including over the recent holidays ) but no actual trial games! I believe that even this weekends trial against Oakhill has been trumped by athletics with many potential 1st's & 2nd's players unable to play due to athletics committments! The following week is AAGPS Athletics Carnival so no footy! :(
King's have always allowed each sport to have its due prominence and student participation - atm its Athletics - end result is 4 of the last 5 Senior and Junior Athletics Championships

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
King's have always allowed each sport to have its due prominence and student participation - atm its Athletics - end result is 4 of the last 5 Senior and Junior Athletics Championships

Fair enough too! Good to see as many boys as possible taking part in the lead up carnivals and then at the AAGPS championships on the 11th!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Guys, as we are approaching a new season I will give this warning again:

No discussion of off-field stuff- drugs, social life etc. Any posts mentioning this will be deleted.

No slandering of school kids, or other posters. Any posts mentioning this will be deleted.

If you break either of these rules you will be banned instantly.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So from banter on other threads it looks like trials for this weekend are Joeys vs St Gregs, Oakhill vs Newington. Who else?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys played Gregs today, can't give exact scores but it would be something like
1st Joeys won 60-0
2nds Joeys won 80-0
Good results seeing as Joeys were missing atleast 8 first choice players. Jakub Gluzenko and Willo McDonnell are looking good in the centres. For the 2s, Connor O'Shea scored 4 tries, unfortunately for him Deegan has been playing very nicely for 1s. Any other results?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
did no one see this?
''Last year I attended a number of GPS rugby matches. The standard of play was extremely high yet what I saw I found most disturbing,'' he wrote to me this week. ''There were boys - and that's what they were - with bodies that one could only say were so developed as to be distorted. I just couldn't believe that the development I was looking at was the result of gym work. This sense was only exacerbated by an overheard conversation on the touchline: of a gym where drugs could be purchased to aid performance.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/hold-your-horses-theres-plenty-more-to-come-20130503-2iybr.html#ixzz2SJLVw6Uu

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
Oakhill 10 beat Newington 5, very tight tough game.
While I didn't see the 1st XV game I saw 3rds/16As/15As, in all games the New teams were sort of their usual full complentment of established players. For instance our 16A side had their entire backline out and lost 50-12 to an excellent Oakhill side. Despite this Oakhill College are a school, moving forward with rugby and I was most impressed with their standard of play. I was also surprised how badly some New sides were beaten, 4ths about 63-0. However one teacher at New did mention that the rugby teams and numbers are still a work in progress and some divisions might increase by two teams. I hope so we need the depth for the GPS rounds.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Even if there were some kids away with Athletics, Newington will not be all that happy with a result like that.

A good turnaround for the Oakhill team that were seriously touched up by Barker earlier this year by about 40 to not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.