• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I agree with GPS Rower, and from what i hear, its lucky if 3 or 4 boys come over from the Lindfield campus. Its very unlikely these boys will have the talent required to make first teams, as their competition and depth is rather poor up on the North Shore. Most will go to shore, kings, joeys and riverview or the local high school in order to retain a certain North Shore lifestyle with ease. Most boys on the Stanmore junior campus will come across to the senior school, and this allows for the retainment of tradition, as it is a change of only 300 metres. Its sa to see the swapping of schools but for some families it must happen.

Good to be back.

Wolf Out.
Where are you getting these stats from? My year at New (I came from Lindfield), every single boy from Lindfield went over to Stanmore, the same with the year aboveand the year below (late 80s). Last year of the 20 or so boys at Lindfield Prep yr 6 at least 14 went on to Stanmore.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
This years comp will be a moving feast for all the sides given it is the first time the schools have had to deal with the realities of 2 rounds. It will be more like tournament rugby where the ability to be up each game and to keep your best 15 fit for the duration of the comp will most likely be the determine the comp rather than just ones side outright ability.There are no easy draws ( Grammar/ High) to have either a mental or physical down day..I'm pretty sure there will be quite a few surprises as the season goes on...

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
TAS against Kinross First, KW 42 def TAS 5, seconds, KW 22 defeated TAS 14. TAS against High Firsts TAS 10 defeated SHS 5. seconds TAS 22 defeated SHS 7. That's a much better result for High, so either High is better, TAS worse, or a combination of the two! If you look at the other KW results, may give a first feel for standards in the thirds.

MrRugby37

Bob McCowan (2)
Scots. They have a really good set of hardworking and talented forwards and some outstanding backs. Barring wholesale injuries they are a huge chance of winning this years premiership.
Scots or New. Both sides have a great backline with some big names. Sides like Joeys, Kings and View lack depth in either the forwards or the backs, so good luck to them when they face these 2 teams.

thefencesitter

Allen Oxlade (6)
whose everyone tipping for the premiership and why?

1. Newington - Have an undeniably dominant back-line, with wrecking ball centres Milne, Moera and Mitchell on the wing. Lussick should be able to send them through gaps well and is very confident in attack. They don't seem to have extensive depth however, losing to Oakhill when the athletes were out, which could stand as an issue if injury hits the team. Sesquicentenary year, will come very close.

2. Joeys - Showed potential in the hit-out with Kings on the weekend, with glimpses of 'The X factor' stated above, however IMO don't seem to have what it takes to beat Newington AT THIS STAGE. The backline seems awkward with the shift of Deegan and O'Shea, and will struggle to get over the line. Forward pack is one of the better in the GPS, led by Sandell and Hanigan at 8, although again, not spectacular and will need to improve out of sight to win it this year.

3. Scots - The season is very close, and Scots could end up anywhere from 2nd to 6th. A bold change by putting Kellaway at 10 could see an aggressive attack. 16A’s were very successful last year, with players flowing through to the first and second teams. However, with 9 players from Riverview 16A’s injured or playing in the Opens, and 5 from Shore this result isn’t really indicative of what could happen this year.

4. Shore – The Clancy twin combination was deadly last year, and is sure to be more eminent this year as they grow in confidence and physicality. Jack Clancy saw the white line this weekend against Country and it will be nothing strange at the end of this season. Young lads like Olver and Woodhill in the forwards, as well as Cater and Cooke will see the forward pack more clinical and dominant across the field.

5.Riverview – An underdog side which could surprise, however the draw is heavily out of their favour. If they are able to beat Newington at Lane Cove in the 1st round, they could come close, although it is looking more and more unlikely as the ‘cricket score’ results by Newington have been reported. Moreover, a loss to them and Joeys in the 2nd round could see them at the back end of the table. Only 5 u18’s in the team, however there is still a relative amount of experience in the side, and many of the players who have been playing together for years.

6. Kings – Again, with such a close season they could easily end up at 3rd, however their display on the weekend was dismal at best. At times showing light with Davies’ at 9 and 12 dictating back play, were unlucky to have the intercept try against them early on in the game. Will certainly need to improve ahead of major clashes with Joeys again and New this season.

One of the closest competitions I think we will ever see, and a number of surprises will be sure to come up over the draining season.

Fence Sitter out.

mark7

Stan Wickham (3)
King's 16A's and 15A's are looking in prime form. with the 16A's with a comfortable win over joeys and with the 15A's only going down 7-5. King's looks to be a serious contender in the coming years.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
1. Newington - Have an undeniably dominant back-line, with wrecking ball centres Milne, Moera and Mitchell on the wing. Lussick should be able to send them through gaps well and is very confident in attack. They don't seem to have extensive depth however, losing to Oakhill when the athletes were out, which could stand as an issue if injury hits the team. Sesquicentenary year, will come very close.

Fence Sitter out.
Are Milne and Moera the biggest centres in the comp? If not what makes these two boys so effective? Interesting that Morea plays in a completely different position for league.

main event

Stan Wickham (3)
I know its early but any tips for this weekend? I know there been talk of the New V View game but I think the Kings V Scots game could be a cracker.

I reckon Joeys will perform this season. They sure as hell woke Kings up last weekend. Cant really comprehend the change with Deegan and O'sheao, but their forward pack will give them a great push towards the line.

Peace PlaYer

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Are Milne and Moera the biggest centres in the comp? If not what makes these two boys so effective? Interesting that Morea plays in a completely different position for league.

No surprise at all. Rugby Lite is a completely different game. Checkers vs Chess, Pub Pool vs Snooker, Bowls vs Croquet.

There are few parallels between Five Kick and Rugby.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I reckon Joeys will perform this season. They sure as hell woke Kings up last weekend. Cant really comprehend the change with Deegan and O'sheao, but their forward pack will give them a great push towards the line.

Peace PlaYer
Got th esame feeling with Deegan and O'Shea..Deegan looked a bit disinterested at 12, and O'Shea looked like he was unconfortable wearing Deegans 10..I can see that Joeys are probably trying to accommodate the best 2 inside backs they have in the same backline, but that can be counter productive if neither fully take on their responsibilities in those positions..they need to get it sorted or it could be all over for Joeys by second round of fixtures..having said that even when Joeys don't get it just right they are never far off the pace....

thefencesitter

Allen Oxlade (6)

Tepai (Aus Schools 2012) and Taane (Aus A 2012) IMO are undoubtably the biggest centres in the comp - 100kg plus. Their sheer size and speed makes them very difficult to singularly defend, as well as providing a huge psychological advantage over the opposing centre/team.

Also, Second Rowers in league are not so different from centres, often interchanging positions (Tony T-Rex Williams), as well as complementing the work of centres and halves

This might spark some debate, however, who would people rate the 'best' centres are in the comp? Aside from these two behemoths...

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
No surprise at all. Rugby Lite is a completely different game. Checkers vs Chess, Pub Pool vs Snooker, Bowls vs Croquet.

There are few parallels between Five Kick and Rugby.
sorry I don't follow league at all, I mentioned that it was 'interesting' not "surpising". From what I understand Tepai plays in the forwards in league, isn't this a very different skill set then what is required in the union back line. Of the players that 'switch' between codes do they usaully play in a completely different poistion? Even with my limited understadding of league doesn't a fullback/winger in league serve essentailly the same purpose (and would therefore need the same skill set) as in union?

Status
Not open for further replies.