• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
First post on Green and Gold. Re Joeys v Kings, agree that there is plenty for both sides to work on before being title contenders but both will improve. Overall Joeys looked slightly better but not all bad for Kings: 1) first try of the game to Joeys was a 90m intercept against the run of play; 2) Kings won the second half (21-7 at half time); 3) it was at Joeys.

Others on this forum follow the players closer than I do but the Joeys 5/8 and inside centre combo looked a little off. The Kings inside centre nailed his opposite number (who is small) in the 1st half so perhaps that explains it. Joeys wingers looked dangerous everytime they got a touch and generally defended well. Kings will need to be more creative in attack when they next meet.

Kings 2nds were dreadful in the 2nd half - missed so many tackles.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
First post on Green and Gold. Re Joeys v Kings, agree that there is plenty for both sides to work on before being title contenders but both will improve. Overall Joeys looked slightly better but not all bad for Kings: 1) first try of the game to Joeys was a 90m intercept against the run of play; 2) Kings won the second half (21-7 at half time); 3) it was at Joeys.

Others on this forum follow the players closer than I do but the Joeys 5/8 and inside centre combo looked a little off. The Kings inside centre nailed his opposite number (who is small) in the 1st half so perhaps that explains it. Joeys wingers looked dangerous everytime they got a touch and generally defended well. Kings will need to be more creative in attack when they next meet.

Welcome, and thank you for your report.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
SHORE V NSW COUNTRY at Woongarrah
On the bike on a sunny day with a nice brekky at Bombora cafe at Norah Head. Well worth it. The other ones were very arrogant and said that they would have a long wait for food. (<15 people in there) go figure but The people at Bombora are really nice with good coffee. Enough about the ride. :)
Shore 2 v NSWCRU 17's
Country 22 - Shore 5

Country played it through their strengths, the pigs, and lovely rolling maul for 7-0 lead in about the 10th A good lineout switch move from Shore got them back in the hunt 7-5. Country had size on the 2's all over the paddock and drove through and into them time and time again. With more tries from the back with one a special with the blind winger looping the other winger to score untouched the both of these lads were quick as. A late try to 16 saw the final score 22-5 to NSW Country. Best for Shore were their 4 who never stopped trying. No 10 made a lot more tackles than he should have had to. Gutsy kid. Best for NSW Country were their pack, but in saying that 2 standouts were the No 7 from Mittagong and the No 19 who plays in the front row but was beating the Shore Loosies to the ball.
1's report to follow... Got to charge the glass

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
SHORE V NSW Country 18's

Again outweighed in the forwards SHore looked up against it early but a good loop and cutout with 10 scoring the first try. Country got together and a good rolling maul later, the firy Red headed flanker scored 7 - 5. Another quick try from an outside back took it to 14 - 5. Whilst Country were bigger to a man Shore are very very well drilled and don't have a Paddy O'Brien (SJC) or Lachie Cannell (NC) to do the work in the air, their lifters do an impeccable job. Leading into half time a steal on NSWC throw gave Shore a chance and it ended with Streeter the prop going over under the crossbar. Half time 21-5. And the game was losing intensity.
In the second half the only try was scored from a dropped NSWC ball, toed through by the replacement winger which bounce up perfectly for the regather and 20 metres to score 26 - 5. As I decided to jump back on the bike it looked like Vainakolo from country scored , but too little too late.
A lot of sore boys will be driving distances tonight and did NSW Country proud. Best for Country were 4, 8, 22, 6, 3 will be a lot better for the hit out but needs to lift his work rate to stay in the play, but can scrummage. For Shore 1, 6, 9 and 12.
IMHO it is going to be a long GPS season this year and the schools that have the depth through the grade will shine. I don't think that Shore have that depth. Good luck to the lads, all polite to a fault and was mentioned by Garry Head? The pres of The host club on the day. This makes many people happy knowing that our men display exemplary behaviour.

Cheers all, a great day a great ride and some lovely people that are probably still driving to all corners of NSW.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
C'mon Scoop! How'd it go in Orange today? Looking forward to some in depth analysis through the games! New vs. Kinross in 1st's and New 2nd's vs. Stannies 1st's - any results?

Cheers, Wreckless :)

sorry mate, might as well kick it off!

Kinross 2nd XV - 33 26 - Newington 3rd XV

Very much a decent slog match between these two sides. Kinross had the early lead by early in the 1st half but Newington managed to continually punch holes through their forward pack and create numerous opportunities that lacked decent support. Unfortunately, due to some lucky calls and very skilled wingers, Kinross managed to score late in the 2nd half to seal the deal.

Stannies (bathurst) - 1st XV - 5 29 - Newington 2nd XV

These encounter looked to be similar to the 1st XV with two quick and easy tries from the in-form five eighth Lachlan Anderson or "gappy" has he was known to his teammates surely because of the holes and gaps he creates when he has ball in hand. Unfortunately, there was an incident in the 1st half of the game where the Number 5 for Newington and Number 1 for Stannies had abit of a dummy spit at each other and took it into their own 'hands' to settle it. Both were sin binned for 10 mins. This slowed the game down heavily and it wasnt until late in the 2nd half that Newington sealed the win with 3 team tries.

Kinross 1st XV - 5 50+ - Newington 1st XV

With both teams being at full strength, both crowds were waiting for a big game and they surely got one. Everything went Newington's way in both halves with the score being 38-0 barely 20 mins into the first half. Tanne and Tepai as the centre duo were absolutely devastating with the Kinross crowd going crazy when they managed to get them down. Josh Mitchell again in my opinion, showed his worth on the weekend with great covering defence and beautifully executed hits that made both home and away crowds shiver in fear and enjoyment. Due to the onslaught of tries from New and the scoreboard mysteriously breaking late in the first half, I did not manage to get the full time score.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Agree with Gristlechewers report on the Shore Country games.

It seemed to play out that:
  • Country players were quiet a bit bigger and more physical than the Shore boys, have clearly played more hard game this season, shore having their first hit out.
  • The Shore boys have trained a lot together and the Country boys were having thier first run together.
This meant that the Country fowards were very hard and physical and the backs had trouble getting their patterns to work. Shore backs constantly caused problems out wide as their patterns worked well.

As both games progressed the Country backs started to work together better, for the U18 it was all too late.

Both sides will benefit greatly from the games, Country to get thier patterns together and Shore having a good hard physical hit out before the season starts.

I thought the Shore 2nds half was worth mentioning. He was constantly monstered by the Country U17s forwards and wasn't going to step back and he constantly gave the country 1/2 grief around the base.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)

Very much a decent slog match between these two sides. Kinross had the early lead by early in the 1st half but Newington managed to continually punch holes through their forward pack and create numerous opportunities that lacked decent support. Unfortunately, due to some lucky calls and very skilled wingers, Kinross managed to score late in the 2nd half to seal the deal.

These encounter looked to be similar to the 1st XV with two quick and easy tries from the in-form five eighth Lachlan Anderson or "gappy" has he was known to his teammates surely because of the holes and gaps he creates when he has ball in hand. Unfortunately, there was an incident in the 1st half of the game where the Number 5 for Newington and Number 1 for Stannies had abit of a dummy spit at each other and took it into their own 'hands' to settle it. Both were sin binned for 10 mins. This slowed the game down heavily and it wasnt until late in the 2nd half that Newington sealed the win with 3 team tries.

With both teams being at full strength, both crowds were waiting for a big game and they surely got one. Everything went Newington's way in both halves with the score being 38-0 barely 20 mins into the first half. Tanne and Tepai as the centre duo were absolutely devastating with the Kinross crowd going crazy when they managed to get them down. Josh Mitchell again in my opinion, showed his worth on the weekend with great covering defence and beautifully executed hits that made both home and away crowds shiver in fear and enjoyment. Due to the onslaught of tries from New and the scoreboard mysteriously breaking late in the first half, I did not manage to get the full time score.

Oooh AaaaGh - Glenn McGrath! Great report Scoop! Same for "Footy Writer " -much appreciated! Any surprises in the teams that took the field? Team list for View ( 1st's and 2nd's would be great! ):) Wreckless

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
New got up 48-5 against Kinross. It looked like it was going to blow out to a cricket score but the boys from the West showed some fight, making New look ordinary at times. 2nds were impressive getting up against Stannies 1s. Newington vs Riverview is shaping up to be a cracker.

Side note: any news on the shore fixture?

Thanks FW! Nice report! You are 100% right - the1st round New vs. View will be season defining! View will be prepared after 5 or six trials bur New are up! Can't wait and bring on the season proper!!!! My tip - View 22 - New 15 ( for discussion! ) Cheers, Wreckless :)

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)

I heard also that the 16A's ( New vs. Stannies ) was close and a good game, and that New 15A's had a good win over Stannies 15A's!

Also heard that there were something like 25 games on the day! Congrats to Kinross for arranging such a great day! Wish I'd been there!!! Cheers, Wreckless :)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Guys - we're still looking for volunteers to write some match reports for GPS games.

Please send me a "conversation".

Thanks

LG

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)

Agree with your summation of the game and i think Joeys have as much to work on as Kings. Apparently it was only Kings second trial but they were the better side in the early stages of the game and the Joeys intercept was certainly against the run of play. Kings were very rusty though and dropped a lot of ball and they also have some defensive issues out wide where Joeys scored a couple of their tries. Disappointed that Joeys didn't go on with it in the second half after going to the break with a good lead but full credit to Kings for coming back as they did. It would have been an interesting result had their passes stuck.
Hanigan was the stand out for me in the Joeys forwards with Sandell leading well up front whilst the younger forwards Deans and Canturi were also prominent. For Kings, Lehman and McCalman stood out in their pack as did their hard working props King and Bateman. It was a good clash between the no 9s Curtain and Davis and Kings backs Davies and Kane provided plenty of spark in attack as did Bennett and Cohen for Joeys. No doubt the respective teams coaches will be putting plenty of work into their sides during the week to iron out the early season kinks before next weekends 1st round of the GPS season.

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
Historically the majority of Newington Lindfield DO go to Stanmore. Lindfield is a much smaller prep than Wyvern. Of the 15-25 kids in Lindfield yr 6 each year only 2-3 go elsewhere (Riverview, King's or Shore), hardly a majority.

not true. I know a bunch of the teachers at the junior school. Of the 25 boys in each year, it would be lucky if half went on to stanmore. Most go to shore, barker, knox or riverview.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
not true. I know a bunch of the teachers at the junior school. Of the 25 boys in each year, it would be lucky if half went on to stanmore. Most go to shore, barker, knox or riverview.

I agree with GPS Rower, and from what i hear, its lucky if 3 or 4 boys come over from the Lindfield campus. Its very unlikely these boys will have the talent required to make first teams, as their competition and depth is rather poor up on the North Shore. Most will go to shore, kings, joeys and riverview or the local high school in order to retain a certain North Shore lifestyle with ease. Most boys on the Stanmore junior campus will come across to the senior school, and this allows for the retainment of tradition, as it is a change of only 300 metres. Its sa to see the swapping of schools but for some families it must happen.

Good to be back.

Wolf Out.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
Also is there any chance of a GPS Dream team over the past decade? I think it would be interesting to see peoples opinions! Include reserves and a 2nd and 3rd XV if you'd like.

Wolf Out.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree with your summation of the game and i think Joeys have as much to work on as Kings. Apparently it was only Kings second trial but they were the better side in the early stages of the game and the Joeys intercept was certainly against the run of play. Kings were very rusty though and dropped a lot of ball and they also have some defensive issues out wide where Joeys scored a couple of their tries. Disappointed that Joeys didn't go on with it in the second half after going to the break with a good lead but full credit to Kings for coming back as they did. It would have been an interesting result had their passes stuck.
Hanigan was the stand out for me in the Joeys forwards with Sandell leading well up front whilst the younger forwards Deans and Canturi were also prominent. For Kings, Lehman and McCalman stood out in their pack as did their hard working props King and Bateman. It was a good clash between the no 9s Curtain and Davis and Kings backs Davies and Kane provided plenty of spark in attack as did Bennett and Cohen for Joeys. No doubt the respective teams coaches will be putting plenty of work into their sides during the week to iron out the early season kinks before next weekends 1st round of the GPS season.
A number of the Scots boys went over to watch this game in preparation for their first game against Kings next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.