• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Lachie Fear is trying his best and I'm sure that, before him, John Warr did the same. As you know, close to 70% of SGS's yr7 enrolment comes from the 2 Prep schools, it is the Prep school enrolments that have to change. Even if they do start attracting more physically able pupils, then that will only bring Grammar back, after a school generation, to the level of competition that ALL GPS schools, should, and were intended to be. My first rather abrupt introduction to a very "successful'' enrolment criteria, was several years ago. The 2 Grammar prep schools used to select a combined team,(yr6) to play the combined Newington prep schools. Grammar won! Naturally enough the following year was much anticipated, but the Newington 13a's were unrecognisable. I don't point the finger and don't have much of a problem with parents selecting a high school in year7. My advise to Grammar is to boarded the enrolments through the Prep schools (several years to have any impact) but immediately throw the net much wider for the 30% from outside the prep schools. The weekend advertising for enrolments did include the wording "interested in sport" congrats, a very small step in the right direction.

Historically, the majority of the Newington Lindfield Prep Yr6 don't end up going on to Stanmore

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Several years ago I started to watch from behind the posts. Great for watching who is working effectively in defence as well as running lines, hole running and support play in attack. Also when under the pump or after a restart it is a good place to relay information to your players. I find when watching from the sideline you watch what is occuring right in front of you but when watching from behind you get a wider perspective of play and where opportunities are to attack.

I can't argue as I'm not a coach, but while you might see running lines, holes, etc, they are more oriented to the backline.
The forwards are a different story completely. You can't see who is "putting-in". You can't see whether the piggies are getting over the advantage line. You can't see whether the backs are back peddling because the forwards aren't committing (and causing the backs to take step after step backwards).
I believe that if a coach wants to stand on the in-goal area he MUST have someone on the sideline.
The game at the top (school) level have coaches and aides a plenty. Use them, because the coaches are there for results, AND they are their to improve the players.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
I watched Grammar play Pius.
I would rather have watched synchronized swimming.
So if Grammar don't finish last then that team below them must be horrific.
That said, hats off and congratulations to every player (on both sides but particularly Grammar) for turning up, playing until the final whistle, cheering off the victors, and turning up week after week.
It really does reinforce the argument about the best playing the best.
It may take 4-5 years to sort the weeds from the flowers but integrate the school's competitions and then we really have competitive rugby every year.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I agree with some of Billyblacks points about the breakdown. It is definately desirable to have someone on a walkie talkie on the touch line. When asking teams to defend or attack certain channels on the field then behind the posts is the best vantage point.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I watched Grammar play Pius.
I would rather have watched synchronized swimming.
So if Grammar don't finish last then that team below them must be horrific.
That said, hats off and congratulations to every player (on both sides but particularly Grammar) for turning up, playing until the final whistle, cheering off the victors, and turning up week after week.
It really does reinforce the argument about the best playing the best.
It may take 4-5 years to sort the weeds from the flowers but integrate the school's competitions and then we really have competitive rugby every year.
Last in what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Footy Writer

Bob McCowan (2)
To all the Riverview boys posting on this thread,
You are not doing your team any favours constantly posting about how well they are going to do this year. All you are doing is increasing the already high expectation that is being put on these young boys. By saying that boys like Hutchinson have already been selected in GPS 1s is not only ridiculous, but it is also putting a lot of extra pressure on a boy who still hasn't played a game of opens GPS rugby.
Let the footy talk. FW.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Last in what?

Last in their competitive group.
Are they competitive ??
let's hope so because I would like to see all schools competing in competitive groups (it doesn't matter whether they are GPS, CAS, ISA, CCA.....)
As I mentioned, it may take 405 years to determine the right sorting but teams shouldn't have to be flogged 60-0.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Last in their competitive group.
Are they competitive ??
let's hope so because I would like to see all schools competing in competitive groups (it doesn't matter whether they are GPS, CAS, ISA, CCA...)
As I mentioned, it may take 405 years to determine the right sorting but teams shouldn't have to be flogged 60-0.
Before you shit bag people or teams you might want to work out what those people or teams are aspiring to.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Before you shit bag people or teams you might want to work out what those people or teams are aspiring to.

Wow. Attitude.
This is a discussion, not a slight on a team or school's objective.
What I have said here is that it would be good for players, support staff, schools, parents and spectators alike that play, coach or watch, to have competitive games.
First and foremost it is the players that must decide (although it is not their decision).
I determine the competitiveness of a team by whether they can scrumage versus going to uncontested scrums, and secondly that the score isn't a continual blowout.
I am not, nor did I intend to "shit bag" people or teams.
I cannot dress mutton up as lamb - some teams don't deserve to be playing in the competition that they are (and GPS teams fall into that category along with all the other competitions).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wow. Attitude.
This is a discussion, not a slight on a team or school's objective.
What I have said here is that it would be good for players, support staff, schools, parents and spectators alike that play, coach or watch, to have competitive games.
First and foremost it is the players that must decide (although it is not their decision).
I determine the competitiveness of a team by whether they can scrumage versus going to uncontested scrums, and secondly that the score isn't a continual blowout.
I am not, nor did I intend to "shit bag" people or teams.
I cannot dress mutton up as lamb - some teams don't deserve to be playing in the competition that they are (and GPS teams fall into that category along with all the other competitions).
You don't even know what comp they're in or what role they play in the comp they're in or even if they're in a comp.
And this:
"So if Grammar don't finish last then that team below them must be horrific."
Is shit bagging
These are kids playing for enjoyment.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
agree Inside Shoulder..this thread should focus on the high quality rugby that the GPS comp delivers..blowing smoke unnecessarily up some of the boys rear ends, and conversely bagging some of the boys becaus ethey have been selected is pretty weak...my assumption is that all the boys selected in their respective schools 1sts, can play the game and will do their best. Rep selections and form will all be revealed over the next month or so..

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not sure what to make of that fact.
Where do they go?

Historically the majority of Newington Lindfield DO go to Stanmore. Lindfield is a much smaller prep than Wyvern. Of the 15-25 kids in Lindfield yr 6 each year only 2-3 go elsewhere (Riverview, King's or Shore), hardly a majority.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
You don't even know what comp they're in or what role they play in the comp they're in or even if they're in a comp.
And this:
"So if Grammar don't finish last then that team below them must be horrific."
Is shit bagging
These are kids playing for enjoyment.

I know full well where they play (down a division or two).
While it may appear nasty, the point was not to slander a specific team (and I'm sorry to do so at Grammar's expense), but to make a point about the wide spreads in scores.
The majority of the teams play for enjoyment and it is great to see, but I am sure they would enjoy it more if they were winning more than losing (and not losing by cricket scores).
They must have some competitive spirit.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^ Possibly mixed up with ex Scots boy in his 1st year out of school.

Horwitz is playing with Randwick. He has had some injury issues, but think he had his first start in Wicks 1st grade team last week.
And the flanker is playing for norths 1s - or was earlier in the season.
5/8 first year out school is pretty good but flanker is exceptional - IMO

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I know full well where they play (down a division or two).
While it may appear nasty, the point was not to slander a specific team (and I'm sorry to do so at Grammar's expense), but to make a point about the wide spreads in scores.
The majority of the teams play for enjoyment and it is great to see, but I am sure they would enjoy it more if they were winning more than losing (and not losing by cricket scores).
They must have some competitive spirit.
There are no divisions in GPS.
Their competitive spirit is shown by the fact that they play the game, for the sake of the game.
I'll put you out of your misery: grammar 1sts play all other GPS schools' 3rds.
Grammar has produced more wallaby captains than any other school.
This might be termed a lean period.

Status
Not open for further replies.