• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
yes interesting how Joeys likes to keep some of these Stars in 16s.

I think it was said elsewhere that this years 16As could beat the Joeys 2nds

Was it Dareen Junee who was playing Kings in Year 10 and blew it. I don't know ... and not bagging Dareen ... but Joeys memories run deep, and shouldn't underestimate how seriously they take their rugby.

Probably been burnt by younger stars losing games for them .... and then you have had some stars do the unthinkable and do year 12 elsewhere ... was Brendan McCarthy ... my memory is hazy, but have been a few that have done that ... unforgiveable :)

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Interesting commentary on this yrs Joeys 16's..They have been the standout team in this age group all the way..although have lost to both Kings and Augustines in trials. I think there are 6 or so yr 11 boys in that team, so the issue for them will be when they hit yr 12 and those boys arent there. I dont know much about the year below how they are travelling but, they will not be the same team in yr 12..Joeys with Deegan have shown they will promote outside of 16's when there is a need and the talent is there...so I'm not sure whether Joeys opens are incredibly strong, or the school doesn't see these 16's quite in the same super star status that some of the scribes do here?? None the less they are the bench mark in GPS 16's..really looking forward to seeing how Scots 16's shape up this year..they have shopped pretty well in the off season so will be a different side..although will miss Porter as he is in the opens
, isn't he?

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interesting commentary on this yrs Joeys 16's..They have been the standout team in this age group all the way..although have lost to both Kings and Augustines in trials. I think there are 6 or so yr 11 boys in that team, so the issue for them will be when they hit yr 12 and those boys arent there. I dont know much about the year below how they are travelling but, they will not be the same team in yr 12..Joeys with Deegan have shown they will promote outside of 16's when there is a need and the talent is there.so I'm not sure whether Joeys opens are incredibly strong, or the school doesn't see these 16's quite in the same super star status that some of the scribes do here?? None the less they are the bench mark in GPS 16's..really looking forward to seeing how Scots 16's shape up this year..they have shopped pretty well in the off season so will be a different side..although will miss Porter as he is in the opens
, isn't he?

The Taxi Driver

Allen Oxlade (6)
what was the score in 13as?

This is correct - undefeated in the comp rounds in 13s, 14s and 15s. And yes a loss to Scots in trials in 13s and to Kings last year in trials (21-22).

I think it is a great decision to keep the Joeys 16As together with some new faces. Only a couple would threaten the seniors.

It also works well for Jack Mac and Hutch to play opens as their team (forwards) last year couldn't deliver them a good platform to perform. See Gordon Under 14s and Under 15s as a good case for great forwards.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
I wouldn't put any of the joeys 16s in firsts and that is the point. They won't make firsts at joeys but in their positions the joeys kids like wright, king, grant et al are better and have proven to be superior time and again to the view boys who are playing firsts. View must have a serious lack of depth if they rely on 16s who didn't dominate their age at gps. On that measurement joeys firsts will put 30+ points on view.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
This is correct - undefeated in the comp rounds in 13s, 14s and 15s. And yes a loss to Scots in trials in 13s and to Kings last year in trials (21-22).

I think it is a great decision to keep the Joeys 16As together with some new faces. Only a couple would threaten the seniors.

It also works well for Jack Mac and Hutch to play opens as their team (forwards) last year couldn't deliver them a good platform to perform. See Gordon Under 14s and Under 15s as a good case for great forwards.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't think Gordon club footy is as good a guide as gps. Many of the joeys boys don't play club rugby. Some play afl or league. Dylan Grant is one who was playing sg ball at manly and nsw state league rep instead of union. Eddie king, Ron streater mason, jake finanne just some of the others who don't bother with club rugby but who star at gps. There are boys in joeys 16bs and cs including a nsw club rugby rep who can't make a's.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
"Random 2" who are those three you mention and what are they weighing in, i dont think ive heard of them

All three are about 90-105kgs but very big and damaging players. In terms of the arguing about the 16s year group, Joeys has remained undefeated in GPS competition since year 7, but as none of the side are playing opens this year that holds no relevance.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Yes. Joeys don't like their boys being involved outside joeys. Their time will come as I said they were never troubled by the view boys who are in NGS.
What do you mean? their time will come? As a predominantly boarding school, don't they get enough training? Last year alone 2in the Aus Schools, 5 in NSW... Big statement donj

The Taxi Driver

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't think Gordon club footy is as good a guide as gps. Many of the joeys boys don't play club rugby. Some play afl or league. Dylan Grant is one who was playing sg ball at manly and nsw state league rep instead of union. Eddie king, Ron streater mason, jake finanne just some of the others who don't bother with club rugby but who star at gps. There are boys in joeys 16bs and cs including a nsw club rugby rep who can't make a's.

You must be Dylan's mother!

But just for the record, the current Gordon Rep side (note not club side) has 6 Joeys 16as players presently playing in it. They are no longer required to play club unless they need to qualify.

The Rep sides are the best cross section of all NSW Schools players (and in particular metro) and it has been dominated traditionally by Gordon/Warringah and to a lesser extent Eastwood/Randwick in this age group. Warringah usually has boys from Scots and Auggies and play tough footy and I think is a tougher team than Scots Under 15s (now Under 16s).

I would love to see a full strength Joeys 16As side play Warringah.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
A full strength Joeys side effectively did play a weakened Warringah side last year when they were beaten by St Augustines. Its a mute argument on who and why should play up..the super star backs at Joeys are indeed very good players as are the boys at Riverview..school policies obviously differ...as a point Wright has played club and rep rugby all the way through..made MSZ last year and that was it..has hardly shined against the stronger rep teams...maybe its a bit different playing behind a dominant forward pack in the school comp..don't misread me..he is an outstanding player but hasnt yet impressed outside school..on the other hand the 2 view boys were selected in the NSW schools 16's team last year and accounted them selves very well...Hutchison withdrew from NSW 15's due to injury, and McGregor went to Queensland and by all reports ripped QLD ( and the others) apart...so in terms of dominating in their age group I think they pretty much did that...I would think that if you put those 2 behind the Joeys 16's pack you might be surprised how dominant they would be...perhaps a couple of the Joeys backs might not shine as much behind a weaker set of piggies as well...but as I said they are all very good footballers...the schools know what they are doing, and we will have to wait to see how the next few years play out.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
A question to everyone about coaches. :confused:
Where do your coaches position themselves to watch their teams play ??
Are they on the sideline close to play and reserves ??
Are they in the grandstand along the sideline with a better view ??
Are they at the end of the field (under the goal posts) ??
Are they perched up on high somewhere to see everything ??
Where do you think coaches should be during the game and why ??

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Several years ago I started to watch from behind the posts. Great for watching who is working effectively in defence as well as running lines, hole running and support play in attack. Also when under the pump or after a restart it is a good place to relay information to your players. I find when watching from the sideline you watch what is occuring right in front of you but when watching from behind you get a wider perspective of play and where opportunities are to attack.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Several years ago I started to watch from behind the posts. Great for watching who is working effectively in defence as well as running lines, hole running and support play in attack. Also when under the pump or after a restart it is a good place to relay information to your players. I find when watching from the sideline you watch what is occuring right in front of you but when watching from behind you get a wider perspective of play and where opportunities are to attack.

Not from the coaching perspective but I agree with lily - mainly influenced by the sort of tickets I can afford and that's usually where I end up!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.