• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
pretty fair assessment of last years 15's view v joeys.. I saw that game as well..the view forwards were totally dominated on that day meaning the backs had liitle chance to ignite..there's no question that view 1st 15 have had good wins over a number of strong B division teams..although I would think Augustines would test most GPS sides so that was a good result..they should as a minimum be very competitive against all the GPS sides, and I think have the ability to trouble the best teams out there.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
pretty fair assessment of last years 15's view v joeys.. I saw that game as well..the view forwards were totally dominated on that day meaning the backs had liitle chance to ignite..there's no question that view 1st 15 have had good wins over a number of strong B division teams..although I would think Augustines would test most GPS sides so that was a good result..they should as a minimum be very competitive against all the GPS sides, and I think have the ability to trouble the best teams out there.

joeys won that game fairly, they dominated the break down and used the ball outwide when they had numbers, too good for view, i think view will test some of the top teams but lack of experience and pressure will effect them, i dont think they are reall title contenders, if they can get a win over newington it will lift their spirits

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Also good to note that of the Joeys 15s side who held these 'superstars' from View scoreless, not one of them was good enough to progress into 1s and 2s this year. I think Riverview will surprise a few people, but I'm still tipping them to finish 6th. Very excited to see how McGregor handles the likes of Hanigan, O'Brien and Wingti in round 2, it'll be a good test for the NGS talent.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Also good to note that of the Joeys 15s side who held these 'superstars' from View scoreless, not one of them was good enough to progress into 1s and 2s this year. I think Riverview will surprise a few people, but I'm still tipping them to finish 6th. Very excited to see how McGregor handles the likes of Hanigan, O'Brien and Wingti in round 2, it'll be a good test for the NGS talent.

"Random 2" who are those three you mention and what are they weighing in, i dont think ive heard of them

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well I saw the game too and 13s and 14s and fact is the likes of Tom wright Eddie king and Dylan grant have played those view boys off the park year after year and would do so any time they play. Yes you need good ball but good players make their own chances. Like I say best of luck to them but they wouldn't play firsts or seconds at joeys and if view need to play them up they will be in trouble

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Well I saw the game too and 13s and 14s and fact is the likes of Tom wright Eddie king and Dylan grant have played those view boys off the park year after year and would do so any time they play. Yes you need good ball but good players make their own chances. Like I say best of luck to them but they wouldn't play firsts or seconds at joeys and if view need to play them up they will be in trouble

to say mcgregor and hutchinson wouldnt make your 1's or 2's at joeys is ridiculous both playing nsw last year and both were young, mcgregor having a bigger boot then oshea or deegan and with huchison hese being already named in gps 1's in a squad and the comp hasnt even started, i think any gps team would love to have those 2

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
to say mcgregor and hutchinson wouldnt make your 1's or 2's at joeys is ridiculous both playing nsw last year and both were young, mcgregor having a bigger boot then oshea or deegan and with huchison hese being already named in gps 1's in a squad and the comp hasnt even started, i think any gps team would love to have those 2

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
You can only go on what you've seen and I've seen them given a bath by their joeys opposition year after year and the fact joeys don't have to play those superior joeys 16s up in opens only proves the point.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bear in mind that NGS (and JGS to a lesser degree) are a journey and long term work in progress and not a destination.

Talented athletes are developed by the NGS/JGS as per the principles of the Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) Model that has been almost universally adopted around the world.

Does the oft quoted statement "10 000 hours of practice to develop skills to win a world championship" or slight variation thereof ring a bell? This comes from within the LTAD material.

Hutchison, Bowditch, Fotokava et al have really just taken their first steps on the 10000 hour journey. For better or worse, someone in ARU HPU has seen that these lads have potential to benefit from this programme. It does not guarantee selection in rep teams contrary to common perceptions. Only about 1/2 the current U20 Squad for the World Champs are NTS/NGS graduates. Lots of NTS/NGS kids end up as normal amateur or semi pro footy players playing for the love of the game and sometimes boot/beer money on the side.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Good luck to them but I wouldn't get too carried away. The three back line boys you mention were members of the view u15a side last year who couldn't score a point against joeys and got hammered. They may be members of NGS but a lot of that joeys u15a now 16a didn't bother playing club rugby or NGS several of their backs pursue other sports one of them is a contracted manly rugby league player and state rugby league rep the joeys 16s have never lost since 13s and certainly were never bothered by the likes of Hutchinson and mcgregor. Point is if view have to rely in playing those boys up they will struggle as I say best of luck to them but I don't think they will undermine anyone's confidence.
Seem to remember Joeys having some difficulties agst Scots in the younger years....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
so the wind up has begun

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Re Scots NGS numbers..they had a few there previously such as the obvious ones like Kellaway...but I heard that Scots withdrew them earlier this year..Not sure if there was a falling out or Scots just think they are better at player development than the ARU...

Status
Not open for further replies.