• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Very intrigued to see if the dominance in depth for Joeys still remains this weekend. For years Joeys have dominated consistently from around 3rds/4ths downwards and like wise in the younger age groups. This consistency is a testament to the work ethic and pride taken in Joeys which I don't think really can be matched. But from remarks from last round this was not so prominent - correct me if I'm wrong.

not to put a downer on what you said, but i hear that if this years 1st XV doesn't win the premiership. It will that this year's year 12 cohort will have never seen the 1st XV premiership in the mighty cerise hands from their first years in year 7.

rawsteak

Stan Wickham (3)
not to put a downer on what you said, but i hear that if this years 1st XV doesn't win the premiership. It will that this year's year 12 cohort will have never seen the 1st XV premiership in the mighty cerise hands from their first years in year 7.
That is quite a fact. Especially when you look back in history Joeys have been the out right most successful school, as most know. On contrast - this year's year 12 at Riverview have seen 3 premierships - 1 of those being a championship. One would have to say this is certainly a low for Joeys in regards to premierships and surely it wouldn't last long.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
predictions for this weekend
Joeys vs View - two equally matched teams who always lift for this game. Views hopes will rest in the shoulders of there young 10 and how he handles the pressure. With my pink and blue glasses on I'll tip Joeys by 5.

Newington vs Kings - Newington will dominate, many of the Riverview boys say no one will get close to the Stanmore boys. Newington by 30

Scots vs Shore - This one will be alot closer than many expect, Shore are a good side capable of an upset on their day, will Scots are massive preimership contenders. Shore could surprise, especially if it's wet. Scots by 8

Will post a Joeys team list on Friday

knock on

Herbert Moran (7)
That is quite a fact. Especially when you look back in history Joeys have been the out right most successful school, as most know. On contrast - this year's year 12 at Riverview have seen 3 premierships - 1 of those being a championship. One would have to say this is certainly a low for Joeys in regards to premierships and surely it wouldn't last long.

knock on

Herbert Moran (7)
Joeys 1s have no show of winning while they play curtain and deegan at halves deegan especially is massively over rated he is predictable and slow. Good strong joeys 16s so something to look forward to in the future.

thefencesitter

Allen Oxlade (6)

Very true rawsteak, they have an undisputed stranglehold over all age groups (2 losses against Shore), which should shine through in years and take them back to their glory days.

thefencesitter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Joeys vs. View - both sides seem to be fairly matched in terms of size and strength, with perhaps a larger view forward pack and larger Joeys backline. Both teams will be relentless in defence around the rucks, so It'll take some flair out wide to get across the chalk for both teams.
- View showed impressive strength against a dominant New side, greater speed and strength than Joeys - View win by 5

Newington vs. Kings - Both sides have room to improve from their Round 1 clashes - more significantly Kings, riding on the shoulders of their 7 and 12. - - Newington - Superior size and strength. I'd like to say Kings have a change but I can't see that IMO - New win by 25+

Scots vs. Shore - AKA Kellaway vs. Clancy - will be a good game to watch, with plenty of running action on both teams. More experienced Scots side.
- Scots know how to score tries from last weeks display - Scots win by 12

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
Correction!!!
I think you will find that Riverview 3rds,5ths,7ths and 8ths are playing High in the afternoon on The main oval while all the Cs teams are playing High As

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Very true rawsteak, they have an undisputed stranglehold over all age groups (2 losses against Shore), which should shine through in years and take them back to their glory days.
What has been the secret in their recent revival? Increase in boarding numbers? Better coaching? Is this their longest drought?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From the View director of co-curriculum

Finally, the GPS Round 2 Rugby fixture against SJC this Saturday always attracts a huge crowd. The firsts XV game will be played at 11.15am.This decision was not made in haste, but rather in consultation with members of the College Council, College executive and Dr Hine. The safety of all spectators was the primary reason for this game been played again at this earlier time slot. Hopefully we will be able to revert to the later timeslot in the years to come. Due to the nature of the draw there are some teams scheduled to be playing at this time, so I apologise in advance for this inconvenience.
Whilst I understand the thoughts of those who oppose this decision, I endorse it. The last thing that testosterone filled boys about to leave school and go into the big bad world is to see a bunch of boofheads turning a school match into a booze-up. The amount of alcohol fuelled violence afflicting the young today is appalling - well done Riverview for sending a message that it is unacceptable.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Whilst I understand the thoughts of those who oppose this decision, I endorse it. The last thing that testosterone filled boys about to leave school and go into the big bad world is to see a bunch of boofheads turning a school match into a booze-up. The amount of alcohol fuelled violence afflicting the young today is appalling - well done Riverview for sending a message that it is unacceptable.
Somewhere earlier, someone also posted that the Riverview 5 year reunion transferred the date so as to coincide with St Josephs home game. Quick hands, this isn't alleviating the problem, this is simply moving the problem to somewhere else! If St Ignatius College are prepared to do this and allow their school to be tarnished by some Old Boys hell bent on smashing their livers on that day, should they not shoulder this responsibility????
FFS this school assisted in raising these men, take responsibility for them. Post security and police all round the ground, show these mindless twerps that Schoolboy Rugby is for the boys AT SCHOOL not them!!! The cost can be covered by the Old Boys Union of SIC. i am surethey won't want to pay twice.The best way to show the students is that if you break the law, you get arrested and let daddy come and bail you out. I was witness to the goings on by the View and Joeys boys a few years back, and if some of the parents had have shown some balls in raising their little ones, they would not have had these problems. If they play up lock them up. St Ignatius stand up to your ex pupils and show them that you wont be run roughshod over. Moving timeslots and reunions to another school is a stop gap short sighted narrow minded solution that gives no winners. I wish I could say well done like you Quickhands, but no, I am ashamed and embarrassed.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Somewhere earlier, someone also posted that the Riverview 5 year reunion transferred the date so as to coincide with St Josephs home game. Quick hands, this isn't alleviating the problem, this is simply moving the problem to somewhere else! If St Ignatius College are prepared to do this and allow their school to be tarnished by some Old Boys hell bent on smashing their livers on that day, should they not shoulder this responsibility????
FFS this school assisted in raising these men, take responsibility for them. Post security and police all round the ground, show these mindless twerps that Schoolboy Rugby is for the boys AT SCHOOL not them!!! The cost can be covered by the Old Boys Union of SIC. i am surethey won't want to pay twice.The best way to show the students is that if you break the law, you get arrested and let daddy come and bail you out. I was witness to the goings on by the View and Joeys boys a few years back, and if some of the parents had have shown some balls in raising their little ones, they would not have had these problems. If they play up lock them up. St Ignatius stand up to your ex pupils and show them that you wont be run roughshod over. Moving timeslots and reunions to another school is a stop gap short sighted narrow minded solution that gives no winners. I wish I could say well done like you Quickhands, but no, I am ashamed and embarrassed.
I agree with everything that you have said. In no way was I endorsing the behaviour of the Riverview Old Boys and if they have in fact rescheduled their reunion to coincide with the game at Hunters Hill they should be stopped from doing so and ashamed for even thinking about it. Obviously these young men weren't taught basic manners, respect or common decency at school and/or at home otherwise, if they felt the need to arrange a booze up and/or reunion they'd know that a school containing 2000 or so minors watching a rugby match is not the place to do so.

It is a stop-gap solution, but my primary concern is for the 2000 or so students of the 2 schools who will be watching the match and need to be protected from drunken yobs. As we have seen recently, it only takes one punch from a drunken fool to ruin or even end a life. That is my primary concern.

My suggestion for the future, ban grog from the venue, search people and cars as they come in and play the game at 3.15.

I am not in anyway aligned with Riverview and I have no axe to grind for or against that school.

footyking

Stan Wickham (3)
Cl

Clancy should definitely get the call up. He was outplayed Deegan again, in all areas and Tulloch looks out of shape.

i agree i watched the joeys V shore game and thought that Clancy dominated Deegan, in kicking, attack, defence, vision, speed. Deegan just doesn't seem that great, despite him being the bees knees

rawsteak

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree with everything that you have said. In no way was I endorsing the behaviour of the Riverview Old Boys and if they have in fact rescheduled their reunion to coincide with the game at Hunters Hill they should be stopped from doing so and ashamed for even thinking about it. Obviously these young men weren't taught basic manners, respect or common decency at school and/or at home otherwise, if they felt the need to arrange a booze up and/or reunion they'd know that a school containing 2000 or so minors watching a rugby match is not the place to do so.

It is a stop-gap solution, but my primary concern is for the 2000 or so students of the 2 schools who will be watching the match and need to be protected from drunken yobs. As we have seen recently, it only takes one punch from a drunken fool to ruin or even end a life. That is my primary concern.

My suggestion for the future, ban grog from the venue, search people and cars as they come in and play the game at 3.15.

I am not in anyway aligned with Riverview and I have no axe to grind for or against that school.
Very valid point. The safety of players, students and on-lookers, should be, and is, the primary concern for both schools. Although it could come to this if, god-forbid, an event such as 2010 occurred again, I would really dislike seeing schools turn to mass security hiring and searches. This would really take away from an historic event that is open to the public who may have no affiliation with with either school or the GPS in general, but would be deterred if security searches took place.

There was also suggestions floating around of taking the event to an enclosed field - e.g. Sydney Football Stadium and the like. Personally wouldn't enjoy this but would gladly hear out others views.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE do you have a team list for Kings as they look to bounce back from a heavy defeat at the hands of Scots against an ominous Newington side.
I haven't seen a King's team list as yet but I expect that the sky blue and white will give a good account of themselves. Newington have pretty much the same backs as last year but are not as strong in the forwards particularly up front with the likes of Pryor-Lees, Vea etc moving on. New only beat King's 36-27 last year and I think that King's have a real chance of a surprise victory - in Davis at 9, Tulloch at 10, Davies at 12 and Kane at 15 they have some wonderful talent capable of putting on plenty of points. A lot will depend on what platform the forwards can lay for them - they need to win their set pieces and be ultra competitive at the breakdown- ultimately this will boil down to a fitness contest with hardest working set of forwards giving their backs the opportunity to prevail.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
predictions for this weekend
Joeys vs View - two equally matched teams who always lift for this game. Views hopes will rest in the shoulders of there young 10 and how he handles the pressure. With my pink and blue glasses on I'll tip Joeys by 5.

Newington vs Kings - Newington will dominate, many of the Riverview boys say no one will get close to the Stanmore boys. Newington by 30

Scots vs Shore - This one will be alot closer than many expect, Shore are a good side capable of an upset on their day, will Scots are massive preimership contenders. Shore could surprise, especially if it's wet. Scots by 8

Will post a Joeys team list on Friday
Your predictions seem logical.

Ill also be interested to see the results from the 3rds competition this week.

High v Riverview and Joeys v Grammar will give us a very good indication of how High and Grammar are travelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.