• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I w
Very valid point. The safety of players, students and on-lookers, should be, and is, the primary concern for both schools. Although it could come to this if, god-forbid, an event such as 2010 occurred again, I would really dislike seeing schools turn to mass security hiring and searches. This would really take away from an historic event that is open to the public who may have no affiliation with with either school or the GPS in general, but would be deterred if security searches took place.

There was also suggestions floating around of taking the event to an enclosed field - e.g. Sydney Football Stadium and the like. Personally wouldn't enjoy this but would gladly hear out others views.

I would hate to see any draconian measures put in place and spoil the tradition of the 3.15 games, which are a highlight for the players as well as the spectators. Not all year reunions are going to cause trouble and not all students should be tarred with the same brush. Perhaps it is up to the leaders of those years and the organisers of such reunions to exhibit some forethought and control over the outcomes of their events

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
I haven't seen a King's team list as yet but I expect that the sky blue and white will give a good account of themselves. Newington have pretty much the same backs as last year but are not as strong in the forwards particularly up front with the likes of Pryor-Lees, Vea etc moving on. New only beat King's 36-27 last year and I think that King's have a real chance of a surprise victory - in Davis at 9, Tulloch at 10, Davies at 12 and Kane at 15 they have some wonderful talent capable of putting on plenty of points. A lot will depend on what platform the forwards can lay for them - they need to win their set pieces and be ultra competitive at the breakdown- ultimately this will boil down to a fitness contest with hardest working set of forwards giving their backs the opportunity to prevail.

Saying that Newington will not be as strong in he forwards is simply an understatement considering both Vuni and Mesui (if I have spelt their names wrong, please correct me) played fantastic against a young and hyped river view pack. Vuni can do wonders with ball in hand, even making a 30m dash last year in the 2nds, palming nearly half of the riverview side off.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Picks for the weekend games? GPSRow, Wolf, Wrecklace, inside shoulder, what are your predictions?

Tend to agree a bit with CTPE ( my old Mate CTS??? ) re New vs. Kings but having watched the game against View it underlined that a good big side will generally get over a good small side! So my predictions ( for what they're worth ) :

Newington +10
View +7

and I'll go for the upset!

Shore +5

Everyone - particularly the young men playing the game, through all grades - have a great weekends rugby! Good luck to Grammar, High and TAS in their hit outs as well - will be following ( barracking? ) keenly this season!!!

Cheers, Wreckless :)

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
I w

I would hate to see any draconian measures put in place and spoil the tradition of the 3.15 games, which are a highlight for the players as well as the spectators. Not all year reunions are going to cause trouble and not all students should be tarred with the same brush. Perhaps it is up to the leaders of those years and the organisers of such reunions to exhibit some forethought and control over the outcomes of their events
I don't think that the authority of "the leaders of those years" has any traction post school - in fact in some cases it was regarded with contempt at school!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Everybody - there are three big days of NSW Opens trials involving CHS, ISA, GPS, CAS and other school associations, coming up.

Every year we have posts in the CHS, ISA etc etc threads on the trials whereas the posts really relate to the NSW Schools thread.

So, when the trial dates arrive, write about the game in the NSW Schools thread, not in this one.

Sure, it is fair enough to write about who should have been in a GPS team and who shouldn't have been, in this thread, but, in the main, comments on the trial matches themselves and who should make the NSW team, or shouldn't, belong in the NSW thread.

Sometimes there are comments on a GPS v CAS game, for example, in three different threads: GPS, CAS and NSW Schools.

Let's use the NSW Schools thread only please.

Thank you,

I'll put this in the other threads as well.

H

Halfback Hero

Several teams from view will not be able to play Joeys all year due to the new draws. This includes the 3rds and most of the C's across all ages. Instead they will play High while the other grades play Joeys. Interesting.. and rather annoying.

thefencesitter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Several teams from view will not be able to play Joeys all year due to the new draws. This includes the 3rds and most of the C's across all ages. Instead they will play High while the other grades play Joeys. Interesting.. and rather annoying.

I believe that's incorrect, teams in the thirds competition (3rds/5ths/7ths, C's) will play each team (Joeys) once as a part of their 9-team competition draw, on a separate occasion to the primary draw.

H

Halfback Hero

I believe that's incorrect, teams in the thirds competition (3rds/5ths/7ths, C's) will play each team (Joeys) once as a part of their 9-team competition draw, on a separate occasion to the primary draw.
Are you sure this is the same for the C's competition? Would be disappointing if teams missed out on playing the pink and blue.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Are you sure this is the same for the C's competition? Would be disappointing if teams missed out on playing the pink and blue.
I think it is the same.
As far as I can work it out, going on Grammar, the A's in each age group mirror the Grammar 1sts: to the extent that this week the Grammar 13A's are playing at 3pm on Weigall 2 while the 1sts play on Weigall 1 at 3:15.
And the Grammar 13A's are training with the BILs @ Weigall tomorrow afternoon!

H

Halfback Hero

I think it is the same.
As far as I can work it out, going on Grammar, the A's in each age group mirror the Grammar 1sts: to the extent that this week the Grammar 13A's are playing at 3pm on Weigall 2 while the 1sts play on Weigall 1 at 3:15.
Oh good news if that is the case! What do you know about the Grammar A's? Any chance of them upsetting view C's?

U

Unders Line

My Predictions for this weekend

View with a minuscule margin ( my tip for the best game of the round)

Scots by 2/3 tries

Newington by 3/4 tries

Looking to be a great weekend of footy across the board

footy5

Bob McCowan (2)
My Predictions for this weekend

View with a minuscule margin ( my tip for the best game of the round)

Scots by 2/3 tries

Newington by 3/4 tries

Looking to be a great weekend of footy across the board
How can you say this undersline, you have only seen view and newington play because your always locked up in the riverview boarding house

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Oh good news if that is the case! What do you know about the Grammar A's? Any chance of them upsetting view C's?
In 13's: no - I dont think so, not if (as usual) View had 180 trialists in rugby in 13's;Grammar might have had 40 if they're lucky. 9 kids in the A's have never played rugby before.
In 15's: Grammar are every chance

H

Halfback Hero

In 13's: no - I dont think so, not if (as usual) View had 180 trialists in rugby in 13's;Grammar might have had 40 if they're lucky. 9 kids in the A's have never played rugby before.
In 15's: Grammar are every chance
Yeah particaully in the lower grades depth will be a big factor. 16's could be a tight one with view lacking a bit of strength but also i dont know much about grammar or high 16's. Also i think there first might defeat some teams 3rds

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah particaully in the lower grades depth will be a big factor. 16's could be a tight one with view lacking a bit of strength but also i dont know much about grammar or high 16's. Also i think there first might defeat some teams 3rds
I think Grammar will win a few games in 1's but, frankly, I haven't watched a 3rds match since the 70's so I'm flying blind on what to expect from other school's thirds.

Status
Not open for further replies.