• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

john williamson

Frank Nicholson (4)
Possible Riverview XV
1. Dan Kilpatrick (2nd XV)
2. Hosea Fotukava (1st XV, GPS II, NSW I, Aus A)
3. Evan Pritchard (1st/2nd XV)
4. Jack Bowditch (1st XV)
5. Beau Petterson (1st XV)
6. Jack Hayson (1st XV)
7. Conor Menzies (1st XV/2nd XV)
8. Alex Hancock/Patrick Weston (2nd XV)
9. Dan Rorke/Gabe Cooper (2nd XV/16A's)
10. Jack Mcgregor (1st XV)
11. Connor Hurley (2nd XV)
12. Joe Stageman (2nd XV)
13. Henry Hutchison (1st XV, GPS II, NSW II, Aus Schoolboys)
14. ?
15. Bill Freeman (1st XV, GPS III)

Looking like a very strong team with many players returning for their 2nd year of 1st's GPS rugby. This will be Bill Freeman's third year in the team.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Alternate suggestion for Riverview 1st XV next year:

1. Evan Pritchard.
2. Hosea Fotukava.
3. Daniel Kilpatrick.
4. Beau Peterson.
5. Jack Bowditch.
6. Jack Hayson.
7. Conor Menzies.
9. Gabe Cooper/Dan Rorke/Louis Anderson.
10. Jack McGregor
12. Henry Hutchinson.
13. Joseph Stageman.
14. Connor Hurley.
15. Bill Freeman.

Very few changes from the team posted above. My changes stem mainly around positional changes.

Forwards
I believe that Pritchard would be better at Loosehead as he is quite short and a very technical scrummager, while Kilpatrick is larger and more suited to Tighthead in build. As well as that, I think it would be more effective having Beau at 4 in the scrum, and Bowditch at 5 - there would be a lot of power generated on the tighthead side in the scrum, that's for sure.
I can't think of an ideal candidate for Number 8 at this point. There are actually rumours circulating that Bill Freeman will move into the backrow, but I can't confirm these. If that WERE the case I would consider moving Menzies to 11, with fullback become a position of contention. I personally think that Weston and Hancock are both good players, but I don't think Number 8 is their position, and I would rather pick people on a position-by-position basis, rather than on skill, as Riverview has done in the past, hence why it would be preferable that Freeman stay in the backs.
One problem that this forward back will face is height in the lineout. While Beau and Bowditch are obviously quite tall, I can't recall seeing them in them jumping. I only really see Hayson, no. 6, as a jumper. A good coach will probably use the South African method of having tall guys lift short guys e.g. Beau and Bowditch lifting Menzies.

Backs
I honestly have no idea who should play half-back. Dan Rorke is incredibly tough, a handy player, and I thought he played very solidly during his time in the 1sts this year. Gabe Cooper presents himself as a good option though, however, with his good ball skills, though his lack of experience in the opens might incur a bit of selectional bias against him. As well as this, rumours are circulating that Louis Anderson will make the switch to half-back. I think he has the skill to be in the 1sts, but unless he does a lot of work in the off-season at half-back it would be both unfair and unwise to pick him in a position he has no experience in. I would love to see him work hard and develop into a half-back though, he wouldn't be out of place skill wise.
I would also prefer Hutchinson at 12. A lot of people disagree claiming that he needs space, but personally I think he creates his own space. His style is comparable to Tim Horan in my opinion - fast acceleration, a lot of strength in the contact zone (i.e. around the thighs), and a great ability to slot through gaps. For me, he is an inside, while Stageman, who plays a similar game, would be a nice complement at outside - ideally they would be used interchangeably at either position to cause confusion in defence.
As well as this, I would rather Hurley at 14. where he can carry the ball in his right hand while running along the wing, allowing him to operate at maximum pace, and also fend with his left. True, he may not get the ball as much here, but I think that's where he best serves his purpose as a strike weapon. I am undecided on 11. not because there aren't options, but because of certain factors that may or may not make certain people available to play there e.g. the aforementioned example involving Conor Menzies. Another potential option is to move Hurley to 13., where he lacks experience, but has the physical and athletic dimensions for, and play Stageman on one of the wings.

I believe that this Riverview team has a lot of potential, however I am quite concerned that the various individuals in the team won't click together well. I have seen too many teams with this kind of hype fail when it comes down to it, e.g. the Riverview side of 2012.
With current coach Jim Potts leaving, and an undecided successor on his/her way, I hope that the quality of coaching will improve somewhat and more intelligent decisions are made in the way the boys play. I would happily volunteer if I weren't still at school.

mark7

Stan Wickham (3)
Kings 2014 Lineup
1- James King (1sts)
2-Jono Burke (1sts)
3-Jim Lee (1sts)
4- Cameron King (16 A's)
5- George Lehmann (1sts)
6- Toby Moore (2nds)
7- Hugh Taylor (c) (2nds)
8- David Ballintyne (1sts)
9- Danny Fletcher (QLD 1sts)
10- George Phillip (2nds)
11- Chris Orpen (16 A's)
12- Jake La Ferla (16 A's)
13- Jake Richards (1sts/2nds)
14- Hugh Yates? (1sts/2nds)
15- James Kane (1sts)

Kings look to be a Strong side

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
My information is that at least the thirds comp in 2014 will have the same format as 2013. So those of us who have a particular interest in that comp can start looking forward.

knock on

Herbert Moran (7)
Here's a potential joeys line up:

1. Finanne
2. Horton
3. Cutler
4. Wingti
5. Gittoes
6. O'connell
7. Canturi
8. Behringer/Leaver
9. Travers
10. Wright
11. Grant/Clements
12. McDonnell
13. King/psaltis
14. McCutcheon
15. Grant/ Clements

Strong, durable forwards and possibly the fastest backline man for man in GPS. Of course don't hold your breath waiting for this side to be picked selections are a big factor in joeys disappointing (in 2013 often embarrassing) turn out in recent years.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)

1. Finanne
2. Horton
3. Cutler
4. Wingti
5. Gittoes
6. O'connell
7. Canturi
8. Behringer/Leaver
9. Travers
10. Wright
11. Grant/Clements
12. McDonnell
13. King/psaltis
14. McCutcheon
15. Grant/ Clements

Strong, durable forwards and possibly the fastest backline man for man in GPS. Of course don't hold your breath waiting for this side to be picked selections are a big factor in joeys disappointing (in 2013 often embarrassing) turn out in recent years.

A few big names missing there, O'Shea at 10 and Knight at 8 are obvious ones. A lot of competition within the pack, especially in the second row. Again great competition in the backs with O'Shea, McDonnell, McCutcheon and Wright really the only boys who would be expected to make the team. Agreed that no matter what the back 3 looks like it is shaping up as the quickest in GPS.

knock on

Herbert Moran (7)
yes agreed some names left out but joeys need to look further afield if it wants to avoid a repeat of the last few years. yes o'shea is a fine player but wright is a better fly half - quicker, stronger - would o'shea be better in the centres or full back than the other boys named? i think not. you could play wright out of position and fit o'shea in but i prefer wright in his best position. all the boys in this side i think in a one on one shoot out are the best players in their positions in the school. king is a strong ball runner at centre, grant and mccutcheon would be the quickest in the team and are out and out try scorers, clements is a strong runner and a solid defender. joeys need more imagination and daring than they have shown in recent times. but hey it is just my opinion and i'm sure many will disagree.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
O'shea fans shouldn't lose any sleep he will be picked and so will all the other favourites and there will be players out of position and lead footed backs and better players running around in lower grades and joeys will have much the same year as they've had this year and last plodding along and making up the numbers. I don't agree with all of knock on's selections but I do agree that things need to be shaken up and coaches and selectors need more open minds and legitimate winner takes all trials.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The GPS needs crowds like this back at weigall
Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 6.38.52 pm.png

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Will there be a GPS rugby competion as I have been following the scholarship debate on another thread?

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)

1. Finanne
2. Horton
3. Cutler
4. Wingti
5. Gittoes
6. O'connell
7. Canturi
8. Behringer/Leaver
9. Travers
10. Wright
11. Grant/Clements
12. McDonnell
13. King/psaltis
14. McCutcheon
15. Grant/ Clements

Kidding right?

1. Finanne
2. O'Doherty
3. Cutler
4. Hofferick
5. Gittoes
6. O'Connell
7. Canturi
8. Wingti
9. Rodgers
10. O'Shea
11. King/ Scolari
12. McDonnell
13. Psaltis
14. McCutcheon
15. Wright

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Apparently he bent Over and pulled it out from Under.
Glad to see the comments removed as they were not helpful to any party.

F

fireball

Kidding right?

1. Finanne
2. O'Doherty
3. Cutler
4. Hofferick
5. Gittoes
6. O'Connell
7. Canturi
8. Wingti
9. Rodgers
10. O'Shea
11. King/ Scolari
12. McDonnell
13. Psaltis
14. McCutcheon
15. Wright

F

fireball

i think you may be kidding...so you have a choice of quick skillfull backs and you opt for this? psaltis is too slow ok defender but barely made a break at u16s, king can't put two games together without injury and i have to agree with other posts who question why rodgers will be the answer at 10...he's been tried in firsts before without making any impression

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)
i think you may be kidding.so you have a choice of quick skillfull backs and you opt for this? psaltis is too slow ok defender but barely made a break at u16s, king can't put two games together without injury and i have to agree with other posts who question why rodgers will be the answer at 10.he's been tried in firsts before without making any impression

Psaltis scored plenty of tries in the 2nds when he got the call up last year, majority of these came from him beating the oposition with pure speed. Im not saying that O'SHEA is the answer at 10, but he is the best option joeys have for next year at the moment, Wright is a good player but i feel that fullback suits his traits better. Also O'shea was tried at 10 in the firsts mostly due to injury of Andrew Deegan, i thought he was a solid replacement but he lacked certain qualities that Deegan possesses, which was a core feature of the 2013 game plan. With a new team and new gameplan i think he could be as dangerous as he was in the 2nds.

Status
Not open for further replies.