• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Seems to me like Joeys and View are going to have very strong sides next year..... if you can all argue about who will be where in the teams seems they have great depth........ Joeys Kings and Scots 16a joint premiers I believe, Joeys won the 2nds, Scots won firsts (jointly) and did well in the thirds, View have a bunch of players back, Scots have 4 plus back would seem to me like a blockbuster year ahead ....... im thinking better rugby to be had at 3.15 each saturday than the super 15 .......... again !

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I would also prefer Hutchinson at 12.

A lot of people disagree claiming that he needs space, but personally I think he creates his own space. His style is comparable to Tim Horan in my opinion - fast acceleration, a lot of strength in the contact zone (i.e. around the thighs), and a great ability to slot through gaps.

I have just noticed this.

I think this is a good call about HH. You say you are still at school; so it is a wonder that you know enough about Horan's play to be able to compare HH to him. Well done.

We are only talking about style but his ability for an U/16 player is remarkable—and I notice that he will be starting for Oz Schoolboys in the "test" against Ireland—his fifth time out of six for the year.

It would be worthwhile to try him at 12, closer to the action, just to see. Regardless of his jersey number Henry Hutchison will be one of the best players in the GPS next year, and if there are better ones in the country they will be outstanding.

PS - It was a pleasure to read a post by a schoolboy who knows how to link some coherent sentences together.

Cheers

LG

knock on

Herbert Moran (7)
Psaltis played one game in seconds on the wing and never scored. He was the slowest back in the under 16s he would not get within 5 metres of the flyers like mccutcheon, grant, or the boys just behind them like wright or king. I have to agree with the other post he did nothing in attack in 16s in fact in the big end of year games against the better sides kings and scots he was found wanting. He can tackle for sure and is strong but fast? Please. Joeys need speedy attacking backs and hard working forwards in 2014 or it will be another disappointing year. There is a very good first 15 sprinkled in the joeys grades some of whom have been wilfully ignored now is the time to put the best boys in the best positions simple really.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Psaltis played one game in seconds on the wing and never scored. He was the slowest back in the under 16s he would not get within 5 metres of the flyers like mccutcheon, grant, or the boys just behind them like wright or king. I have to agree with the other post he did nothing in attack in 16s in fact in the big end of year games against the better sides kings and scots he was found wanting. He can tackle for sure and is strong but fast? Please. Joeys need speedy attacking backs and hard working forwards in 2014 or it will be another disappointing year. There is a very good first 15 sprinkled in the joeys grades some of whom have been wilfully ignored now is the time to put the best boys in the best positions simple really.

What kind of drugs are you on mate? Fair enough he isn't the quickest outside back, but saying he didnt step up against Kings and Scots? He was easily one of Joeys bests at Kings and set up Grant all day. Anyway, pre season trials will settle the boys from the men and if the boys you claim have been 'ignored' over the past few years are really all they are cracked up to be they will step up against the likes of O'Shea, Psaltis and McDonnell.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I have just noticed this.

I think this is a good call about HH. You say you are still at school; so it is a wonder that you know enough about Horan's play to be able to compare HH to him. Well done.

PS - It was a pleasure to read a post by a schoolboy who knows how to link some coherent sentences together.

Thanks Lee,
I only just saw this, but I appreciate the sentiments - and yes, Horan is one of my all-time favourite players... I find watching footage from when the Wallabies were "better" (i.e. result-wise and skill-wise) to be quite worthwhile.

A lot of my discussion up to this point has been centred around Riverview, and while I am admittedly a student there, I am by no means under the illusion that there isn't strength in the other teams.

I think (and to an extent hope) this will be the end-of-season standings next year:
1. Riverview
2. Scots
3. St. Joseph's
4. Kings
5. Shore
6. Newington

Allow me to explain.

Scots will obviously be a very strong unit this year - but due to the quality (and quantity) I suppose, of year 11 talent, I see 2015 as their big year, not 2014. I personally rate Angus Crichton and Taylor Deer as among the best backrowers in the GPS, if not the country; and I believe Guy Porter will be vying with Hutchinson for the most dangerous back next year. Where they will lose it, for mine, is upfront. Do not get me wrong, there are some incredibly talented forwards at Scots, and size/strength won't be an issue, but I simply can not see them being able to match the Riverview side, largely because of their inexperience and age. However, if Scots are able to prepare well, and follow the strength and conditioning programs that have obviously been very successful, anything is possible, and I wouldn't be surprised if their (likely) superior fitness causes a few upsets.
St. Joseph's at 3 - I was erring a bit about this selection, because their year 11 (going into year 12) cohort isn't amazing. I heard one coach (oddly enough not from my school) describe them as the weakest cohort to have ever gone through Joeys. Now, while I don't have the mileage to confirm this, it certainly seems as if they haven't been too strong. However, their year 10s, going into year 11, are a very great year. Not only have they decimated Riverview from As through to Gs consistently, they have repeated that level of success against most schools. Having been at the receiving end of some rather large score lines in this age group, I can personally attest to their depth and skill level. Like Scots, this will be a side building to 2015 success, and I see similarities between them and the 2013 Riverview side, who surprised many with their results in what was expected to be a development year. At the end of the day, one can simply NEVER ride off St. Joseph's, so don't be surprised if they finish the year with a few upsets, and maybe even a GPS title under their belt. Players to watch are Tom Wright and Jake Finnane.
Kings at 4 - This is another team with a strong year 11, but a year 12 who haven't impressed me too much. Like Joeys, Kings will always have a strong side, but I can't see them doing too much damage. Their fullback/potential fly-half James Kane is a superb player and probably has the best boot in the GPS.
Shore at 5 - Probably the most controversial choice, and one I had to think about for a while - perhaps one I will regret later. Up until earlier this year I always thought Shore were a serious chance for 1st or 2nd in 2014, but at the time I wasn't aware of the fact that the Clancys were graduating in 2013. Their departure made me reassess this time, and my conclusion is that, while they're strong, they don't have the depth to be a serious contender. While their year 11 (going into year 12) have always been fairly strong, the relative weakness of their year 10 (going into year 11) cohort will be their shortfall. Player to watch is definitely Jum Woodhill, likely candidate for higher representative honours (e.g. Aus. schoolboys), and coincidentally only the third forward in Shore school history to make the 1st XV in year 10.
Newington at 6 - Again likely to be controversial, but their year 11 (going into year 12) age group has to be the weakest XV Stanmore's produced since 2008. Having seen them repeatedly drubbed at the hands of the Blue and White, I simply can't see them posing much of a challenge. Conversely their year 10 (going into year 11) cohort are relatively strong, and I believe Cepesa and Kennewell will be two of the standout backs of the 2014 season.

Anyway, that's enough from me, merry christmas all.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Thanks Lee,
I only just saw this, but I appreciate the sentiments

etc etc
Re previous post

One of the more coherent, well-argued posts that I've read on these threads. I think you've probably got it pretty right. 1/2, 3/4 & 5/6 are likely to be how things end up. Maybe each of those pairs might swap around. From my perspective, it's a great pity that there aren't 8 schools to be talking about, but that's a matter for the thread which dare not speak its name.

We still haven't had it confirmed that rugby will be 2 rounds in 2014, as all attention has been on the basketball brouhaha.

Merry Christmas to you and all posters still hard at it 2 days before Christmas.:)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks Lee,
I only just saw this, but I appreciate the sentiments - and yes, Horan is one of my all-time favourite players. I find watching footage from when the Wallabies were "better" (i.e. result-wise and skill-wise) to be quite worthwhile.

<snip>.

And Merry Christmas to you too.

If only all the posts from those within the various schools were of this quality. Sadly the threads get infiltrated with short term Gaggerlanders from time to time when things get boring at free periods, and we have Sportal version 2.0 until the mods come in a clean the thread up.

One suspects that many of the parental variety could learn a thing or two from reading your post and replying in a similar objective and rational manner.

You are a welcome addition to Gaggerland. I look forward to reading more from you as the pre-season and season 2014 unfolds.

Is the Year 12 HSC English text still "Belonging"?

Perhaps you could write about "Belonging" to the Worlds Best Rugby Blog.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I understand that the 2 round 6 school competition with a 1 round 9 team competition for 3rd XV as in 2013 will be the format for 2014. Nothing released officially, but a number of the schools have it that way on their calendars for 2014.

EDIT:
Confirmed on AAGPS website
Round 1 31 May
Scots v Joeys
Kings v Riverview
Shore v Newington

3rd XV to start 1 week later

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Thanks Lee,
I only just saw this, but I appreciate the sentiments - and yes, Horan is one of my all-time favourite players. I find watching footage from when the Wallabies were "better" (i.e. result-wise and skill-wise) to be quite worthwhile.

A lot of my discussion up to this point has been centred around Riverview, and while I am admittedly a student there, I am by no means under the illusion that there isn't strength in the other teams.

I think (and to an extent hope) this will be the end-of-season standings next year:
1. Riverview
2. Scots
3. St. Joseph's
4. Kings
5. Shore
6. Newington

Allow me to explain.

Scots will obviously be a very strong unit this year - but due to the quality (and quantity) I suppose, of year 11 talent, I see 2015 as their big year, not 2014. I personally rate Angus Crichton and Taylor Deer as among the best backrowers in the GPS, if not the country; and I believe Guy Porter will be vying with Hutchinson for the most dangerous back next year. Where they will lose it, for mine, is upfront. Do not get me wrong, there are some incredibly talented forwards at Scots, and size/strength won't be an issue, but I simply can not see them being able to match the Riverview side, largely because of their inexperience and age. However, if Scots are able to prepare well, and follow the strength and conditioning programs that have obviously been very successful, anything is possible, and I wouldn't be surprised if their (likely) superior fitness causes a few upsets.
St. Joseph's at 3 - I was erring a bit about this selection, because their year 11 (going into year 12) cohort isn't amazing. I heard one coach (oddly enough not from my school) describe them as the weakest cohort to have ever gone through Joeys. Now, while I don't have the mileage to confirm this, it certainly seems as if they haven't been too strong. However, their year 10s, going into year 11, are a very great year. Not only have they decimated Riverview from As through to Gs consistently, they have repeated that level of success against most schools. Having been at the receiving end of some rather large score lines in this age group, I can personally attest to their depth and skill level. Like Scots, this will be a side building to 2015 success, and I see similarities between them and the 2013 Riverview side, who surprised many with their results in what was expected to be a development year. At the end of the day, one can simply NEVER ride off St. Joseph's, so don't be surprised if they finish the year with a few upsets, and maybe even a GPS title under their belt. Players to watch are Tom Wright and Jake Finnane.
Kings at 4 - This is another team with a strong year 11, but a year 12 who haven't impressed me too much. Like Joeys, Kings will always have a strong side, but I can't see them doing too much damage. Their fullback/potential fly-half James Kane is a superb player and probably has the best boot in the GPS.
Shore at 5 - Probably the most controversial choice, and one I had to think about for a while - perhaps one I will regret later. Up until earlier this year I always thought Shore were a serious chance for 1st or 2nd in 2014, but at the time I wasn't aware of the fact that the Clancys were graduating in 2013. Their departure made me reassess this time, and my conclusion is that, while they're strong, they don't have the depth to be a serious contender. While their year 11 (going into year 12) have always been fairly strong, the relative weakness of their year 10 (going into year 11) cohort will be their shortfall. Player to watch is definitely Jum Woodhill, likely candidate for higher representative honours (e.g. Aus. schoolboys), and coincidentally only the third forward in Shore school history to make the 1st XV in year 10.
Newington at 6 - Again likely to be controversial, but their year 11 (going into year 12) age group has to be the weakest XV Stanmore's produced since 2008. Having seen them repeatedly drubbed at the hands of the Blue and White, I simply can't see them posing much of a challenge. Conversely their year 10 (going into year 11) cohort are relatively strong, and I believe Cepesa and Kennewell will be two of the standout backs of the 2014 season.

Great post LG aka the think (fixed)- great to see and I think largely correct - beg to differ about number 1 ........ with the TSC lineup the following players will also be back over and above those you mentioned (some injusred in 2013 some part timers in the 1sts)........

Aidan Brown Number 1
Jacob Sedgeman 2
Tobi Rudolf 4
Max Henrie 5
Callum Styles 10
Napilla Karoka 13 - 14

Add to that the others ie Porter, Crighton, Deer etc you have a side in 2013 that was extremely strong with up to 9 players (allbiet some part time in 2013) and a joint pemiership 16a side, we all know from the banter on this and other blogs that TSC has the best of the best training facilites and Marcus Blackburn as the coach - i think they will be very hard to beat......... I think strong challanges from View, Joeys and Kings........ I also hope you are right about Shore lets hope they do have a good 2014 season for the sake of the overall comp and the boys..........
Happy new year to all posters - 2014 is going to be another blockbuster........

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Great post LG - great to see and I think largely correct - beg to differ about number 1 .... with the TSC lineup the following players will also be back over and above those you mentioned (some injusred in 2013 some part timers in the 1sts)....

Aidan Brown Number 1
Jacob Sedgeman 2
Tobi Rudolf 4
Max Henrie 5
Callum Styles 10
Napilla Karoka 13 - 14

Add to that the others ie Porter, Crighton, Deer etc you have a side in 2013 that was extremely strong with up to 9 players (allbiet some part time in 2013) and a joint pemiership 16a side, we all know from the banter on this and other blogs that TSC has the best of the best training facilites and Marcus Blackburn as the coach - i think they will be very hard to beat... I think strong challanges from View, Joeys and Kings.... I also hope you are right about Shore lets hope they do have a good 2014 season for the sake of the overall comp and the boys....
Happy new year to all posters - 2014 is going to be another blockbuster....

Yea, I think that's fair enough - Scots will obviously have a large amount of experience with all those returning players, but they aren't the only team with a lot of returning talent. I obviously don't know the stats too well, but almost every team in the GPS has a large amount of returning talent. As I am more acquainted with Riverview here's a list of the top of my head:
Jack Bowditch (4/5) - 1st XV 2012, 2013; GPS 3rd XV reserve 2013.
Hosea Fotukava (2) - 1st XV 2012, 2013; GPS 2nd XV 2013; NSW Schools 1sts 2013; Australia A 2013.
Bill Freeman (15) - 1st XV 2013, 2013; GPS 2nd XV 2013.
Evan Pritchard (1/2/3) - 2nd XV 2012, 1st XV 2013.
Beau Peterson (4/5) - 2nd XV 2012, 1st XV 2013.
Connor Menzies (7) - 2nd XV 2012, 1st/2nd XV 2013; GPS 3rd XV Reserve 2013.
Jake Hayson (6) - 2nd XV 2012, 1st XV 2013 (1st Player's player, and Best and Fairest).
Joe Stagemen (Inside/Outside Back) - 1st/2nd XV 2013.
Jack McGregor (10) - 1st XV 2013; Presidents A XV 2013; NSW Schools U16 2012; NSW Schools U16 2013.
Henry Hutchinson (12/13) - 1st XV 2013; GPS 2nd XV 2013; NSW Schools 2nds 2013, Australian Schools 2013; NSW Schools U16 2012.
Daniel Rorke (9) - 1st/2nd XV 2013.
Daniel Kilpatrick (1/3) - 2nd XV 2013.
Patrick Weston (2/8) - 2nd XV 2013.
Jake Meincke (4/8) - 2nd XV 2013.
Louis Anderson (9/11) - 2nd XV 2013.
Alex Hamilton (1/2/3) - 2nd XV 2013; NSW Schools U16 2013.
Connor Hurley (11/14) - 2nd XV 2013; Sydney Juniors U16 2013.
Alex Hancock (2/4/8) - 2nd XV 2013; Sydney Juniors U16 2013.
Lachlan Archer (7) - 2nd XV 2013.
There are probably others that I can't remember.

TL;DR - Scots aren't going to be the only school with returning talent, most schools will have a lot of players back for another go at the Shield, Riverview being one of them.

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
From what I have seen, Scots will easily be premiers.
I just can't see the "ever promising" Riverview getting near them
I do think New will struggle but they may surprise it depends on whether some unknowns step up. But I agree this years yr12 have greatly been ignored. (actually quite a bit of potential but those with real potential lack size and just not developed)

I think Shore could be in for a very interesting year. Possibly more successful than expected

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From what I have seen, Scots will easily be premiers.
I just can't see the "ever promising" Riverview getting near them
I do think New will struggle but they may surprise it depends on whether some unknowns step up. But I agree this years yr12 have greatly been ignored. (actually quite a bit of potential but those with real potential lack size and just not developed)

I think Shore could be in for a very interesting year. Possibly more successful than expected

Riverview's issue last year was being able to match Scots and New physically, we'll see if an extra year has addressed this.

Scots and Riverview would start favourites one would think. There was barely a few points between New and Shore in 2nds, 3rds, and 16As last year, so one would expect those 2 to struggle. Kings and Joeys had strong 16As and Joeys are always well drilled.

The first round will be illuminating:

Scots v Joeys
Kings v Riverview
Shore v Newington

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I understand that Riverview will play St Augustine's on the 17 May and Knox will play Newington on 5 April in trial matches.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I understand that Riverview will play St Augustine's on the 17 May and Knox will play Newington on 5 April in trial matches.
I can verify that Riverview will be trialling against St. Augustine's, I don't know the date off the top of my head, but I trust that you are correct. In addition, and again this is from the top of my head, the school will also be trialling against
  • Marist Canberra
  • St. Edmund's (Canberra)
  • Stannies/Scots College (Bathurst)/Kinross Wollaroi. These fixtures will be on the same weekend - the College will be split between those 3 schools, that's my understanding of it.
  • A few other schools.
Sorry I can't be more precise, when I find the booklet that got sent round I'll post the details. I remember reading about so kind of training camp over the July break which is a new practice.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys v Knox trial 29 March, at least in younger grades.

Joeys trials are:

St Pats - 22nd March
Knox - 29th March
(both games without the GPS athletes)
Then the first 'official trials' are
Oakhill - 17th May
Newington - 24th May

Again not the best of preparations for Joeys, although 1s to 3s have been training since December so they should still be well prepared for round 1 at Scots.

Status
Not open for further replies.