• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
None from Riverview that I think will make the 1sts, a few that might potentially make the 2nds but no one too special.

Grammar had one lad (centre) in this age group in the 1sts last year, and another lad (loose forward) probably in 1sts this year.

Scots, Joeys and Kings all had "superteam" U16's last year so hard for the year below to get a look in. Joeys half from the U15's might get a look.

Not sure on others, Newington always have a couple around.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There's a back rower in that age group - haven't seen him for a while so I don't know how he's developed but he's got ticker and mongrel.

I am not sure who you are referring to specifically, there is a kid called Chris Scott who is pretty good but who I doubt has the size/ability to play opens. You might be thinking of Charlie Rorke who is in the under 15 this years, he is great player, plenty of mongrel and quite big. Expect big things in the future.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am not sure who you are referring to specifically, there is a kid called Chris Scott who is pretty good but who I doubt has the size/ability to play opens. You might be thinking of Charlie Rorke who is in the under 15 this years, he is great player, plenty of mongrel and quite big. Expect big things in the future.

the former

V

Vindíctam

I have been told that Brother Boyd has stepped aside and Messers Anderson and Thomson (2nd XV) are taking Joeys 1st XV. Is anyone able to confirm?

My thoughts are that Joeys have made a good move as the 2nd XV coaches use an expansive style and have recorded 4 consecutive premierships.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
I have been told that Brother Boyd has stepped aside and Messers Anderson and Thomson (2nd XV) are taking Joeys 1st XV. Is anyone able to confirm?

My thoughts are that Joeys have made a good move as the 2nd XV coaches use an expansive style and have recorded 4 consecutive premierships.
Yep. It's true. Ticehurst and Br Anthony are doing the 15s. It's one thing to win in the seconds and then repeat it in the 1s. You have to take into account a lot of a Joeys 2nd XV players could make the firsts of other teams.

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
If he is it is too soon. I've seen him play in the junior gold cup comp and to be frank he has really come back to the field. The size advantage doesn't cut it so much anymore in fact the ACT centre completely out pointed him a couple of weeks ago. Like many young stars who are bigger than the rest things even out as you get older. Not saying he isn't without talent but he needs some more strings to his bow and he doesn't need to be rushed he would be way out of his depth against older boys.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree with you Donj. He's not even 16 until next year - 15 year olds shouldn't be playing opens, particularly in the firsts comp. There may be a very very rare exceptions who could cope with the added physicality, but why rush the boy and risk it?

donj

Allen Oxlade (6)
And it isn't just the physicality he just doesn't have the all round game he won't have a size advantage in opens he won't be the quickest or have the best skills. There is a mad obsession, usually driven by adults not the kids, with fast tracking kids let them enjoy their footy play their age and get an education the real test for anyone with any talent comes after school when they join the men. You can very rarely pick stars at 15.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If he is it is too soon. I've seen him play in the junior gold cup comp and to be frank he has really come back to the field. The size advantage doesn't cut it so much anymore in fact the ACT centre completely out pointed him a couple of weeks ago. Like many young stars who are bigger than the rest things even out as you get older. Not saying he isn't without talent but he needs some more strings to his bow and he doesn't need to be rushed he would be way out of his depth against older boys.

Glad someone has pointed out the elephant in that particular room - its been coming for a while

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
He won a 2nd grade premiership with the Rats so I think he did ok there and then inherited a mess at Gordon. He has his level 3 and has coached at Shute Shield level so I think he'll be able to handle the pace of coaching a high school first fifteen.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He won a 2nd grade premiership with the Rats so I think he did ok there and then inherited a mess at Gordon. He has his level 3 and has coached at Shute Shield level so I think he'll be able to handle the pace of coaching a high school first fifteen.

wouldn't know him from Adam but i reckon if you've coached Shute Shield schoolboys is a doddle:
  1. the players spend all day at the training ground anyway
  2. no one drinks :)
  3. discipline is a given
  4. new team every year - so none of this "being a coach is about keeping the 10 guys who hate you away from the 5 who haven't made up their minds yet"
  5. No - "sorry coach - work commitments", traffic etc etc
  6. more money than anyone but super 15
  7. gyms on site
  8. pool on site
  9. ready made crowd
  10. no raffles for O/S tours at the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.