• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Jason is a great guy and a handy pickup, although he did struggle at both rats and gordon clubs, so it will be interesting to see how they go under new guidance. New ideas can create new players,can bring on good rugby.
Please.
A level 3 coach going into a comp where some of their best players can't draw and pass,and 9's who despite 4 years of intensive coaching can only pass one way.
Yeah this will test him,
not.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
View's team this year is same as last year and are firm favourites. Pressure is definitely on him and not players.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
History is written by the winners. That's why folk try so hard to win. The king is dead, long live the king.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Differentiating between teenager and adult is quite easy on this thread.

a moment of thought for last year's View coach please. What a team. Always threatening and never let up. Super confident. The king is dead.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
For those of us with an obsessive interest in the third's comp, is it worthwhile starting a new forum or should we focus here? I am a little reluctant to suggest it, I don't like fragmenting discussion and it is meant to be one comp, but the thirds and below are different because all schools are involved.

S

spirit of cupertino

For those of us with an obsessive interest in the third's comp, is it worthwhile starting a new forum or should we focus here? I am a little reluctant to suggest it, I don't like fragmenting discussion and it is meant to be one comp, but the thirds and below are different because all schools are involved.

Yes, and no, Jim. In a perfect world where all the schools play each other, and where the boys sing in the choir and relegate themselves to the thirds to do well enough in the HSC to become a thoracic surgeon or cyberneticist, then yes. But what happened to that world?

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
it
Yes, and no, Jim. In a perfect world where all the schools play each other, and where the boys sing in the choir and relegate themselves to the thirds to do well enough in the HSC to become a thoracic surgeon or cyberneticist, then yes. But what happened to that world?
it's great that every year in nearly all the First XVs there are boys who go on to score 99+ ATAR. I think George Smith drew up a list last year.

S

spirit of cupertino

it
it's great that every year in nearly all the First XVs there are boys who go on to score 99+ ATAR. I think George Smith drew up a list last year.

SJRU should make these boys the face of Rugby and not concentrate on a few elites who already have contracts in League. The ARU should look at what they have got before chasing the same market as league. Franchise $ should be invested in the grass roots. There isn't any crisis in the ARU if a few super rugby franchises go belly up because they aren't the measure of success - player numbers in Junior Rugby is.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
SJRU should make these boys the face of Rugby and not concentrate on a few elites who already have contracts in League. The ARU should look at what they have got before chasing the same market as league. Franchise $ should be invested in the grass roots. There isn't any crisis in the ARU if a few super rugby franchises go belly up because they aren't the measure of success - player numbers in Junior Rugby is.

SoC - Unfortunately these First XV lads are at GPS schools and have not seen the light of an SJRU comp for many moons. For them to be the "face" would be in absentia only.

S

spirit of cupertino

SoC - Unfortunately these First XV lads are at GPS schools and have not seen the light of an SJRU comp for many moons. For them to be the "face" would be in absentia only.

Sure, but I don't think anyone would get into firsts without playing club to u16's. But the point is 8000 people can watch a Joeys v Riverview match or a TSC v TKS match, and that following gets lost somewhere. My point is that it might get lost in the new professionalism. Perhaps I should have posted on a different thread: the continued decline in ... thread or the I want my $200 back thread.

footytime

Stan Wickham (3)
So if i remember correctly isnt there a trial match this Saturday between View and Waverly 1sts & 2nds
Does anyone plan on attending and watching the game?

Have any team lists come out yet? or if not anyone want to have a guess of what the line ups will be? The reason I ask is because i remember that view will have more than 15 players returning from 1sts and 2nds last year, so itl be intresting to see who plays 1sts and who is going to be the veteran of the 2nds on the day? Maybe even some new year 11s poking there nose into the 1s maybe?

DubboDemon

Bob McCowan (2)
It seems that aka_the_think has a great understanding of the Riverview Game, so I was just wondering what he could tell is about the rumours surrounding Kilpatrick (Prop for 1sts in 2014, 2nds in 2013) not playing. Rumours about him not risking further injury as he had several shoulder/knee complaints last year, and also the possibility of him engaging in more study to bump himself further up the academic achievement list. I had heard from some old View Boys that he was quite the intellect.

I was just hoping to see what their strategy was to cope with losing such a tough scrimmager who had one of the best breakdown games in GPS 2nds last year.

Your Thoughts?

DubboDemon

Bob McCowan (2)
Also, aka_the_think has just started some really great discussion on another Page, well worth the look for all those rugby intellectuals out there: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/nsw-schools-debating-2014.13800/

I am not often keen on debating, preferring the keen arts of scrum and contact over the lofty eloquence of Oratory, but for those such inclined, have a browse. I wish aka_the_think the best of luck in his debating, and maybe even a GPS Gold Blazer on the way! (see the new feed for details)

footytime

Stan Wickham (3)
It seems that aka_the_think has a great understanding of the Riverview Game, so I was just wondering what he could tell is about the rumours surrounding Kilpatrick (Prop for 1sts in 2014, 2nds in 2013) not playing. Rumours about him not risking further injury as he had several shoulder/knee complaints last year, and also the possibility of him engaging in more study to bump himself further up the academic achievement list. I had heard from some old View Boys that he was quite the intellect.

I was just hoping to see what their strategy was to cope with losing such a tough scrimmager who had one of the best breakdown games in GPS 2nds last year.

Your Thoughts?

Soo when you say that do you know if he is not playing rugby at all this year or just this game?

DubboDemon

Bob McCowan (2)
Soo when you say that do you know if he is not playing rugby at all this year or just this game?

I believe that it is a season non-attendance. I have been told that he is in fact managing the side, which some might say could be just as strenuous as playing, what with the obvious pressure on a Riverview team shaping up as firm favourites. This may pose problems to the View team, but possible contender's for the spot are Mawin Jansen, who played some Gordon Rep pre-Riverview, and Alber de Bruyn, who both played 3rd Grade last season. No doubt some interesting play to watch on Saturday as View are trialling against Waverly with a large squad in 1st and 2nd grade. Hopefully this could clear up some of the confusion.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So if i remember correctly isnt there a trial match this Saturday between View and Waverly 1sts & 2nds
Does anyone plan on attending and watching the game?

Have any team lists come out yet? or if not anyone want to have a guess of what the line ups will be? The reason I ask is because i remember that view will have more than 15 players returning from 1sts and 2nds last year, so itl be intresting to see who plays 1sts and who is going to be the veteran of the 2nds on the day? Maybe even some new year 11s poking there nose into the 1s maybe?

I'll be there. I will attempt to get a team list up as soon as possible. As far as I am aware aths boys will only be playing one half, so as not to risk injury for the upcoming GPS aths carnival. The school has basically divided the 3rds - 1sts squad into two squads of roughly 22 teams and there will be constant rotation within these sub-squads. A few year 10s are in the 2nds squad, i.e. Will Terry, Jake Pirina, and I think Chris Scott. Many year 11s are poking the noses in, so to speak, i.e. Hancock and Hurley in the 1sts, and Archer and Faull in the 2nds.

Your Thoughts?

I heard this yesterday, and I don't know the full details, but what I can say is that he is unlikely to play, though a slim chance remains that he might. Whatever the case may be it is an incredibly unfortunate injury - anyone who saw him play last year would agree that he is a talented player. I personally saw him as being an almost automatic selection in the front row for the 1sts, though I could also see him playing No. 8 given the strength of some other players in the front row position.

DubboDemon

Bob McCowan (2)
Any chance of the aforementioned Faul coming up to the 1st XV? I had seen him at the U-16 National Champs playing in the Indigenous side, and he had a great running game for a young man his size, though fitness and the breakdown are certainly areas of improvement. Possibly his lack of experience might go against him, but i could certainly see him as a force to be reckoned with at the back of a scrum.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Any chance of the aforementioned Faul coming up to the 1st XV? I had seen him at the U-16 National Champs playing in the Indigenous side, and he had a great running game for a young man his size, though fitness and the breakdown are certainly areas of improvement. Possibly his lack of experience might go against him, but i could certainly see him as a force to be reckoned with at the back of a scrum.
Faul would be an unlikely starter any of the GPS 1st XV sides due to a lack of experience. He is a big kid with a lot of potential but he is still really only learning the game. Big and strong with a good amount of potential, but way off pace technically at that level. He has shone against weaker sides ( eg div 2 16's) but when the boys are just as big or actually bigger he struggles to get the job done due mostly to technical weaknesses. A year in the 2nds will do him a lot of good. Next year he will be ready for 1's.

Status
Not open for further replies.