• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys 26-10 Knox. Physical game with a lot of niggle. Knox dominated possession but Joeys was far too solid defensively. Joeys pack was strong and turned over a lot of ball, 6 Psaltis and 7 Canturi were standouts, as well as the front row of Cutler, O'Doherty and Horton who had a big impact. 10 O'Shea and 12 McDonnell were very impressive aswell and I assume they will only get better when the athletes get back. With around 8 boys missing to athos/injury Joeys would be quite happy with today's result.

Dr.AbsXI

Stan Wickham (3)
Riverview beat Marist Canberra by a lot today. The forwards were too strong with the likes of Peterson, Bowditch, Reneker and Pritchard dominating. McKellar good in the backs.

Any results from Scots-Trinity?

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Macgregor?
McGregor?
McGregor didn't play as was the case with majority of the expected 1st XV back line. I managed to get down to watch the game. It looked only freeman ( who started at 7) and stageman who went off after about 10 mins were the only expected backs on the field. The back you are talking about is Tom McKellar who did have a very strong game. On that type of form he could well challenge for a spot in their back line. View showed they have some reasonable depth with what was rumoured to be about 7 boys unavailable to play. Forwards were pretty committed.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joeys half back? Last year they had 2 good ones .. This year? Wingers too slow ... Hopefully athletes are in the wings. Canturi ... Too small too slow ... Probably a nice kid but my 10 year old is taller and hits harder ... No venom in that forward pack. Except maybe the loose head who looks more like a tighthead.

Two horse race ... Scots and view.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ps this shore headmaster annoys me ... Ok to create this garden of Eden at north sydney ....but scots obu foundation not allowed to throw the occasional bone to some poor kid and his parents. Hope shore gets pulvered, despite what I think is some real potential in their squad

Michael Walker

Peter Burge (5)
Should be mentioned that Riverview 2nd's went down to Marist 2nd's 28-5, wasn't there to witness the game, was anybody there to see this game?

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Joeys half back? Last year they had 2 good ones .. This year? Wingers too slow . Hopefully athletes are in the wings. Canturi . Too small too slow . Probably a nice kid but my 10 year old is taller and hits harder . No venom in that forward pack. Except maybe the loose head who looks more like a tighthead.

Two horse race . Scots and view.

But there is plenty of venom from the supporters.

Anyone who draws conclusions from trial game 1 where at least 10 key players have commitments to rowing Nationals and athletics, is, as the name suggests, a dill.

F

fireball

I wouldn't read anything into that joeys performance. That backline will be radically different their two best wingers grant and mccutcheon were at the athletics and would be close to the quickest wing pair in gps tom wright was at athos and while not as fast as the other two is quick enough and should be full back or fly half. rower Eddie king is a good strong runner who should lay a claim to one centre spot. Most of the forwards are out as well. I think you're too harsh on canturi he is a whole hearted player not big but gives everything. I do agree with the halves situation it is a worry there is a new kid who played 2nds yesterday who may be the answer. I wouldn't write them off until after athletics and rowing I think you will see a very different side.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Shore 22-Aloys 5. Left after aloys took off half their team and completely bombed a try after the third quarter. Aloys won the seconds in a far less physical match. Shore forward pack was outstanding against an aloys pack of what I presume to be year 11 students. I think this pack will be a force this year. Backline left a little to be desired defensively were under pressure at times by a solid aloys back line however I believe they were missing two key players to athletics.

The scoreline ended up being 36 - 5. Important to note that the back line played missed Dowsett, Cooke, Naylor and Connelley (all of whom are currently part of the athletics squad), and the forward pack was missing Stump.

I wasn't at the game but I heard it was quite tight and scrappy early on, but as Shore found a bit of structure they really pulled away. Apparently Nathan Lucas, Lawson Muir, Wrench and Emery all played very well - as expected. Simon Litchfield, who is not the biggest kid in the world, also apparently stepped up in defence. He'll be fighting for a spot in the 1sts once the athletics boys return, so thats great news for him.

All in all, a good first hit out for Shore. Beware of their forward pack this year.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Should be mentioned that Riverview 2nd's went down to Marist 2nd's 28-5, wasn't there to witness the game, was anybody there to see this game?
Yes I saw both 1st and 2nds. Riverview 2nds were outplayed, but as fireball said you just can't read too much into it. Talking to those in the know at view and there was around 7 or 8 1st players out, and in total there is around 12 or more boys to return that will be 1sts or 2nds. That suggests that the Riverview 1sts performance was pretty strong, and that the 2nds performance could be excused with more than 1/2 the side not playing in that game. Having said that the Marist 2nd XV at times displayed a lot more skill and ability than their 1sts did. And yes the 1sts apply a lot more pressure but none the less at times Marist 2's played some very entertaining rugby. As fireball said you can't read too much into the GPS performances just yet with most sides having players away with aths, and really only getting together in the last week or so.

Purebred10

Frank Row (1)
I have never heard of a more hyped up team than this years from Riverview. Sounds a lot like how the West Tigers get gee-d up every year, get ready for the spoon fellas.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I have never heard of a more hyped up team than this years from Riverview. Sounds a lot like how the West Tigers get gee-d up every year, get ready for the spoon fellas.
My post is not in any way talking up Riverview. MW wanted a run down and thats what I saw, and heard on the day. Knowing some of the people there i havent found anyone who is hyping the team up at all..They expect they will have a solid side which makes sense, but as we all know in school boy footy, nothing ever quite turns out as you expected. In fact all the schools look like being pretty strong with many having a good core of players returning. I think it will be one of the closest comps in a while. Should be some excellent rugby to enjoy for 10 Saturdays this year.

italianstallion96

Frank Row (1)
There is no question that King's have presented the AAGPS Rugby Competition with an outstanding forward pack. Below is a rundown of the infamous 1 tonne pack.

1- James King (1st XV last year): Recently given the infamous pips, James King is roaring and ready to go this year. Weighing in at 160kg of pure mass and standing at an intimidating 5 foot, many have compared James King to a mongrel on the field. Please inform your respective maintenance teams of when you play Kings, because this big fella is known to put numerous holes in the field from his bonecrushing, piledriving tackles. Futhermore, his typical head tape signifies his ability in putting his body on the line to ensure victory.
2 - Jono Burke (1st XV last year): Many have tried and many have failed to stop the wrath of this representative hooker. Suiting up for a third year in a row, Jono Burke has developed a skill set worthy of the Australian Schoolboys Team. Although sitting with injury this past season, this has allowed 'Burko' to hit the gym more regularly, broadening his already humungous shoulders and increasing the diameter of his biceps.
3 - Jim Lee (1st XV last year): Jim Lee, otherwise referred to as FIP, is an asian powerhouse in the ruck. His aggression and brute strength is unparalleled in schoolboy rugby. When he is not doing 4U maths or Visual Arts, Jim is in the gym working muscles you didn't even know existed. His recent sighting at Awafi's chicken shop is no surprise, as he incessantly seeks pure protein meals to heighten the already large size of his figure. Beware, because this big fella means nothing but business come the start of the season.
4 - Charlie Allison (3rd XV last year): The 6 foot 5 monster, otherwise known as pooch, is a force to be reckoned with on the field. His height and size are two huge advantages that he uses to punish any opposition member in the ruck. Gaining representative honours for Basketball, thus multifaceted athlete will be able to present versatility within the forward pack. Playing up from the 3rd XV last year, he will no doubt have a presence in the team and ensure King's line outs are nothing but perfection.
5 - George Lehmann (1st XV last year): Although suiting up at #5, George Lehmann has the ability to score tries at the rate of a centre. Standing above 6 foot and weighing in at 98kgs, George should be considered a top 3 second rower in the GPS this season. His ability to break opposition defensive lines is accentuated through his record 32 line breaks in 16 games last season. Oppositions beware, because if you're not careful, Lehmann can seriously put points on the board.
6 - Toby Moore (2nd XV last year): After a solid rowing season performing the duty of captain of boats, Toby has his eyes fixed on the prize of GPS glory this coming season. His sustained energy, consistent aggression levels and insane strength ensure that this flanker can have a serious impact upon the game. Halfbacks and fly halves of the GPS I put out this warning, beware of Toby around the scrum, because if you're not concentrating he will punish you.
7 - Hugh Taylor (2nd XV last year): After captaining the 2nd XV last year as a year 11 student (the first since Dean Mumm to do so), the current school captain has earned his spot in this tremendous TKS forward pack. Always leading by example, Hugh will ensure the opponents physiotherapists are always kept busy, as his tackles are almost ensured to create injury. Don't count him out as a candidate for GPS selection, as his skill set and size suggest he is ready for such an honour.
8 - David Ballantyne (1st XV last year): After ensuring a Head of the Wicket win in the past cricket competition, David has been increasing his training regime to ensure his presence is felt. Standing at 6 foot 4 and weighing in at 104kg, his bench press (180kg 8 reps) is unparalleled in the GPS. Many have known Dave as the player who will target the largest member of the opposition and break him in half. This guy can tackle, and if you can see him lining you up, I suggest you turn around and run the other way.

Other possible candidates for the Job:​
Archie Hall - Prop (2nd XV last year): 'Butchie' has been killing himself at the gym, with it recently reported that he is now deadlifting 280kg - 8 reps. After contributing to the first VIII season, Archie is in incredible shape for this years GPS competition. It should be no surprise that this big guy may be able to secure a 1st XV spot this season.​
Nick Pepper - Hooker (16A's last year): Nick has had a wonderful season last year competing in the 16A's, where they were a formidable team. Leading from the front, this hooker is no doubt a force to be reckoned with. His skill set and size has the potential to make a mark on the GPS season. It is rumoured that Nick has recently squatted 275kg - 12 reps. He means business.​
Jordan Steinberg - Number 8 (15A's last year): Although young, this specimen has the potential to crack the GPS teams for TKS this season. There was no doubt that the 15's competition could not handle the strength, speed and quickness of Stein. His ball handling and kicking ability make him a unique, versatile number 8 that could prove to be useful throughout the season. Jordan Steinberg has also published that he is able to run the 100m in 11.3 seconds. Beware, because if he fuels up with a nice zinger burger and an icy cold coke, and arrives in his red hot lancer, he will be in a mood to destroy the opposition.​
This forward pack has been incredible in their winning European tour, where they destroyed numerous schools to prepare for this season. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, ensure an ambulance is on standby, because this forward pack is ensured to cause some injury to the opposition on their way to victory.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Having 4 out of the starting 8 being 1st XV players from last year is a good position to be in - especially the entire front row.

AngryDog 2

Bob McCowan (2)
How much longer do the gps schools have aths looking forward to see the higher class players get out on the field

Status
Not open for further replies.