• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Aren't you forgetting the Sevens tournament at TSC? I think this happens this weekend. For those interested in the double tiered system, View have been replaced by TAS!! Good luck to them for stepping up. It will be interesting to see how they fare. By all accounts View's foray last year was a pretty accurate predictor of the season ahead.
Not sure what you mean?

S

spirit of cupertino

Not sure what you mean?

TAS who would normally go into the thirds comp has put their hand up to take on all comers in the Sevens comp at TSC. ie they will be up against Wesfields Sports, LLoyd McDermot, etc. If you, like me, ever wondered if the two streams are drifting apart, the answer should be known this Saturday. All nn all a pretty gutsy effort by them, I'd say.

S

spirit of cupertino

Are they any good? What sort of results should we be looking for from TSC when they play these schools?

Not sure and hope someone can let us know. Theme parks are out and orphanages in as per the itinerary.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
TAS who would normally go into the thirds comp has put their hand up to take on all comers in the Sevens comp at TSC. ie they will be up against Wesfields Sports, LLoyd McDermot, etc. If you, like me, ever wondered if the two streams are drifting apart, the answer should be known this Saturday. All nn all a pretty gutsy effort by them, I'd say.

Which 2 streams?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Langa is a township outside Cape Town with a number of different schools.

St Johns is a GPS type school in Johannesburg and Jeppe is a state school in Jo'burg, but according to it's website is one of the top 20 schools in South AFrica.

S

spirit of cupertino

They have diverged and I doubt they will ever come back together.
In Year 7 at Grammar they have 27 rugby players.

Where is Steve Biddulph when you need him? It is one thing to be able to translate the Aeneid, another to comprehend it.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)

That is not a good number for both the school nor the comp.

One team with too many reserves? I hope they find a few more lads in the next few weeks keen to lace up a boot.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How big is the Year 7 intake at Grammar?

27 players is not a good sign, and one suspects that this trend may continue.

If the Gin'n'Tonicers in St Leonards continue to believe the participation figures in the annual report show that all is good in Rugbydom, and that they can continue to rely on the "prestigious" schools in Sydney and Brisbane to the heavy lifting development of the "elite" for them, then this will surely cause them to smell some coffee.

Any details on trials for this weekend?

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Snip. [But agree with your concern regarding the paucity of the Yr 7 playing numbers at Grammar and the potential implications.]

Riverview is hosting St Edmund's this Saturday. I understand that some of the summer athletics competitors (who will be backing up from a meet on Friday night) will be given some game time in this last trial before the term break.

italianstallion96

Frank Row (1)
I saw riverview play against Marist and i could only think of one word.

Underwhelming.

The forward pack were overpowered by the opposition and although showing signs of brilliance, were generally dissappointing.

The same could be said about the back line. The lack of structure dissappointed me.

Although they have athletes training, i still think this team is becoming very overhyped.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I saw riverview play against Marist and i could only think of one word.

Underwhelming.

The forward pack were overpowered by the opposition and although showing signs of brilliance, were generally dissappointing.

The same could be said about the back line. The lack of structure dissappointed me.

Although they have athletes training, i still think this team is becoming very overhyped.

Riverview's form, especially in the 1st XV, has been quite impressive up to this point, particularly when you consider the fact that up to 14 students have been outside of the 1sts and 2nds squads due to injuries and athletics. I mean, honestly, how much do you need to beat a team by in a trial to meet the "hype"? Riverview won both games in the 1st XV by a very comfortable margins - one at least 8 tries to 1 in both cases - and one would think that with the right team, a mid-season fixture would see a 60+ margin of victory. This is particularly meritorious when you consider the fact that many of the students in the 1st XV will not end up in the final team.

As far as I am aware, the students that I (and many people at Riverview) believe will end up in the final 1st XV, e.g. Freeman, Pritchard, Bowditch, Peterson, Fotukava etc. have been playing extremely well. Obviously there have been particular individuals that weren't outstanding, but those individuals will likely be replaced by the students that are currently at athletics.

This Saturday will surely be an interesting fixture, as many of Riverview's athletes will be allowed to play 1 half of rugby in both the 1sts and 2nds. Expect to see a better Riverview side, at least on paper.

To be honest, the side that has been receiving the most "hype" on this forum recently is St. Edmund's the supposed "best rugby school in Australia". Riverview makes no such claim, and most supporters will readily acknowledge that the task ahead of them is incredibly difficult. Anyone who has followed this forum with anything more than rudimentary interest would know that I (nor any other Riverview supporter) have/has never discounted the ability of other teams, and, for those interested, my more balanced analysis of the competition can be found in some of the earlier pages.

In order that we might redirect the focus away from this supposed "hype", does anyone have any information on the trial form of other GPS schools?

RugbyHQ

Frank Row (1)
I wish the best of luck to the first XV from st edmunds as I am aware of the enormity of the view pack and this will be very hard to compete with and maintaining pressure at the break down and on set pieces.

RugbyHQ

Frank Row (1)
I wish the best of luck to the first XV from st edmunds as I am aware of the enormity of the view pack and this will be very hard to compete with and maintaining pressure at the break down and on set pieces.
However may I add the strength and discipline combined with the running rugby that st edmunds squad possesses this year will make for an interesting battle

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I don't doubt you, but how does this happen when both of the Grammar Prep schools have a 1st and 2nd XV?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I don't doubt you, but how does this happen when both of the Grammar Prep schools have a 1st and 2nd XV?

Im not sure they do - I know in one of the last 3 years there has been no 1st XV at St Ives and I thought it might be this one.
How big is the Year 7 intake at Grammar?

27 players is not a good sign, and one suspects that this trend may continue.

If the Gin'n'Tonicers in St Leonards continue to believe the participation figures in the annual report show that all is good in Rugbydom, and that they can continue to rely on the "prestigious" schools in Sydney and Brisbane to the heavy lifting development of the "elite" for them, then this will surely cause them to smell some coffee.

180 kids

Status
Not open for further replies.