• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Serhon is effectively the current incumbent for NSW 1 and the #2 jumper is his to lose not to win back, as he will receive any benefit of doubt from the selectors if all other things are equal. It will take sustained awesome efforts from the challengers to rip the State #2 jumper off him. As well as Pritchard (I), there are some pretty competent hookers in the other associations who are keen to grab a gig at Riverview next week.

Thanks Hugh. I know I bang on about the other school associations as well, and I'm a cheer leader for CAS, ISA and CHS, but it's always worth reminding the GPS fans that they have no birth right to any position in NSW Is, NSW II, or Combined States. Even your comment above, re incumbency, is a little presumptuous I feel... ? Your comment makes sense to a degree, I grant you, but I would like to hope the selectors try to start from a clean slate rather than setting up a 'dummy team' from the previous year's player roster and working from there. A lot can change in 12 months re size, fitness, speed, skills, maturity, experience, etc.

There's a relevant discussion re hookers on another thread, for those who are interested:

Capture.PNG

Considering there is NSW 1, NSW 2, and Combined states, and most sides will likely take 2 hookers, theres a good chance maybe 5 will get through..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip> Even your comment above, re incumbency, is a little presumptuous I feel. ? <snip> A lot can change in 12 months re size, fitness, speed, skills, maturity, experience, etc.

I agree that a lot of change can happen in 12 months re size, speed, skills, maturity, experience etc for the challengers, but one has to assume that, having dined at the top table once, the incumbents are also going to be working on their size, fitness, speed, skills and experiences as much if not more than the challengers that they beat out the previous year.

Some may say that Serhon was lucky last year to score the AAGPS 1 gig and to then to jag an invite to NSW I's. Clearly plenty of others see some ability in the lad as he has retained the AAGPS 1 #2 jumper.

It would be fair to say that there will be nothing wrong with the size, fitness, speed, skills and experiences of young Serhon and that he has probably retained parity with the challengers. He has obviously done plenty in the off season, being selected for Randwick Colts, as well as maintaining his slot at NEW and AAGPS reps for 2014.

The Selectors will have open minds, but on the balance of probabilities the incumbent will get the gig provided they have retained their form.

Lemons 2.0

Bob McCowan (2)
From what I know personally Connor Watson from Knox is not signed with Roosters for next year. The way the kid played yesterday was unreal! Strong performance @ Curagal later on this week could see him selected in NSW as starting 13?

Joe Wiliiams 12 from Knox also looked pretty good against his opposite England.

CAS comp seems to be quite a good one this year.

Any thoughts on the above?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

Any thoughts on the above?

@Lemons, You want to know my thoughts?

I think that CAS discussion should occur on the CAS thread.

I also think discussion about prospects of CAS on Friday against ISA, and speculation on the composition of the NSW I or NSW II team should go to the NSW Schools 2014 thread.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
It would be fair to say that there will be nothing wrong with the size, fitness, speed, skills and experiences of young Serhon and that he has probably retained parity with the challengers.
I guess you are right - it's crazy talk to suggest someone else might have improved more, by comparison, than an AAGPS hooker, and a Newington one at that. Sacrilegious really.

He has obviously done plenty in the off season, being selected for Randwick Colts, as well as maintaining his slot at NEW and AAGPS reps for 2014.

Only third grade colts - other schoolboy players were selected in 1st grade colt sides this season.

for @Brian Westlake
Wicks Colts 3
Matt SERHON

The Selectors will have open minds.
Let's hope so.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I guess you are right - it's crazy talk to suggest someone else might have improved more, by comparison, than an AAGPS hooker, and a Newington one at that. Sacrilegious really.

Only third grade colts - other contenders were selected in 1st grade colts.

Let's hope so.

This is silly talk. I'm smelling a rat.
Serhon played in a close game and did little wrong (if anything): I'd be interested to know what you think his errors were.
The other bloke looked fantastic but he played in a romp.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Serhon played in a close game and did little wrong (if anything): I'd be interested to know what you think his errors were.

Inside Shoulder - no rats to smell. I didn't see the game. And I'm not trying to trash Serhon - I'm sure he's a good bloke and a great rugby player. I'm just talking about reasoning and logic, and the bias that's often shown in these threads to GPS boys. Not without reason in most cases, granted, as many of them are excellent players, but they aren't born with NSW I or NSW II tattooed on their backs. Take the discussion re the SGS boys in Blue and White, as an argument that more or less supports my position on boys from other Schools Associations.

I have no idea on this one, but I wonder whether Serhon pushed the previous incumbent out of the position last year?

Anyway, happy to leave this discussion for now, and continue it on the NSW Schools 2014 thread (as HJ suggests above). It's just the expectation that there are anointed ones, and then there are other pretenders to the throne, that slightly annoys me.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There seems to have been a bit of a campaign against Serhon on this thread for a few weeks now. IIRC it eminated from posters connected with Riverview. Would the 2s hooker be from Riverview by any chance?:rolleyes:

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Inside Shoulder - no rats to smell. I didn't see the game. And I'm not trying to trash Serhon - I'm sure he's a good bloke and a great rugby player. I'm just talking about reasoning and logic, and the bias that's often shown in these threads to GPS boys. Not without reason in most cases, granted, as many of them are excellent players, but they aren't born with NSW I or NSW II tattooed on their backs. Take the discussion re the SGS boys in Blue and White, as an argument that more or less supports my position on boys from other Schools Associations.

I have no idea on this one, but I wonder whether Serhon pushed the previous incumbent out of the position last year?

Anyway, happy to leave this discussion for now, and continue it on the NSW Schools 2014 thread (as HJ suggests above). It's just the expectation that there are anointed ones, and then there are other pretenders to the throne, that slightly annoys me.
Ok.
If you weren't arguing over who should be the Gps hooker then you are in the wrong thread.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
To be up front, I am a massive fan of the View hooker Pritchard. But the fact is the Newington boy Serhon, didn't too much wrong at all in the game against CAS at all. You cant compare the standard between the 1's and 2's because CAS 2's were so weak it was a bit of a joke. So any comparison based on that alone is pretty irrelevant. As said above I think Pritchard is outstanding and his form has been really strong all year, I would however like to give this young Newington fella some encouragement to get out there on Friday and prove everyone wrong. If you have the jersey its yours until someone takes it off you.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
To be up front, I am a massive fan of the View hooker Pritchard.
Nice to be a fan, but unless you've got a comparison against the other contenders for any position, assertions such as yours are baseless. Lucky the selectors have been at all the trial matches over the last few weeks, as per Hugh's post below (and probably other games as well), and will have a good idea of the talent across all the positions, based on the total pool available.

Some more info on the trials programme (from AAGPS)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Monty Python. This is the NSW GPS thread.

@Brainstrust's post is about the relative merits of the 2 leading AAGPS hookers and fits here nicely.

Your post is out of place here. Please stop extolling the merits of non-AAGPS boys here, or the NSW Schools Selectors "level playing field". Take that discussion to the appropriate thread.

The AAGPS supporters are entitled to talk up their boys here. Posts such as yours are viewed as trolling.

Did you not get the hint from, @Inside Shoulder above?

Final warning.

Plenty of other posters have been banned for less. You get a degree of latitude because many of your other posts have been fairly reasonable.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
@Monty Python. This is the NSW GPS thread.

@Brainstrust's post is about the relative merits of the 2 leading AAGPS hookers and fits here nicely.

Your post is out of place here. Please stop extolling the merits of non-AAGPS boys here, or the NSW Schools Selectors "level playing field". Take that discussion to the appropriate thread.

The AAGPS supporters are entitled to talk up their boys here. Posts such as yours are viewed as trolling.

Did you not get the hint from, @Inside Shoulder above?

Final warning.

Plenty of other posters have been banned for less. You get a degree of latitude because many of your other posts have been fairly reasonable.

Huge Arse v Monty Python .... I keep on getting visions of the classic cartoon
Godzilla v Bambi (turns 45 this year) YouTube

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Awful, political selections as usual. How could GPS possibly justify an all Newington front row in light of Riverview's dominance over them today.
Pritchard and Fotukava should feel hard done by ... I am simply stunned by some of these selections.

what an absolute joke!!! Pritchard is 100% the best hooker in the GPS

Pritchard defiantly a better player then Serhon, selectors you made the wrong call

Part of the anti-Serhon campaign we've seen on this thread. Give it a rest guys.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There seems to have been a bit of a campaign against Serhon on this thread for a few weeks now. IIRC it eminated from posters connected with Riverview. Would the 2s hooker be from Riverview by any chance?:rolleyes:

The evidence you cited in post #1687 by no means shows that there's a "campaign" against Serhorn - no one is saying that he's a bad player, simply that Pritchard is BETTER. There is most certainly a difference, and I believe the chorus of surprise is testimony to the regard in which Pritchard is held by many.

Hands mate, it's clear you haven't watched Riverview play, because if you had (particularly in the game against Newington), and if you had even an iota of objectivity (not saying that you don't) you would know that Evan is the better option. I don't see what's wrong with voicing surprise and sympathy given the fact that most thought he would get the jersey comfortably.

I don't intend to get into a war over this - just let it be known that I believe Evan is the best hooker in the GPS - that doesn't mean I don't think Serhorn's bad, just not as good as him. I am willing to wait it out and see what happens over the next few games, but for the record Hosea Fotukava is the "incumbent" NSW schools hooker - http://www.nswschoolsrugby.rugbynet.com.au/verve/_resources/NSWSRU_I_XV_1971_-_2013.pdf. Serhorn's selection as a reserve in the 1s actually makes him the 4th choice - I can explain this if need be, but it's common knowledge. While Fotukava did move position, I find it interesting that despite his impressive CV and sublime performances (e.g. against New.) he didn't make GPS 1sts. Again, time will tell.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The evidence you cited in post #1687 by no means shows that there's a "campaign" against Serhorn - .

They are just a few. The rat has been smelt by more than one of us unaligned observers.

The rapidity of your response suggests a nerve has been hit.

I don't really care who gets picked, but I don't lead campaigns for or against any player.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
They are just a few. The rat has been smelt by more than one of us unaligned observers.

The rapidity of your response suggests a nerve has been hit.

I don't really care who gets picked, but I don't lead campaigns for or against any player.

I don't believe that rapidity of response is indicative of one's sentiments towards an argument. To the contrary, it's indicative of the fact that I'm connected to the internet and receive a push notification whenever anyone posts on this forum via e-mail. Pretty simple really, I receive the e-mail, read it, formulate a response, then type it on here. Took about 8 minutes.

Come to think of it, the fact that you were willing to go through pages of forum posts to systematically locate references to Pritchard being a good player is probably indicative of the fact that someone touched one of your "nerves" .

Anyway, are you suggesting some sort of anti-Serhorn conspiracy? Because that's a fairly baseless accusation - I honestly don't know any of the people who posted in support of Pritchard. I don't see how it's in anyway odd that a number of people think Pritchard is better than Serhorn, and to that end want to voice their opinion. As far as I'm aware, it's as simple as that.

Besides, if you have such an opposition with people calling out an individual, then I suggest you refrain from these baseless, accusatory, ad personams - I don't care to be called out like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.