• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Gents. I will post this on the Australian Schoolboy thread and Scholarship Thread but I thought this might be of interest to any of you on the thread. Since 09/10, Newington had reignited with its Brother School in Topou College in Tonga. Since then, The relationship has blossomed to where over 10 Tongan boys have had the opportunity to learn, engage and experience an Australian education and life at Newington College.

Since the 09/10 relationship has blossomed with Newington, it has seen 2 boys being Vunipola Teaupa-Fifita (14') and Tevita (David) Vea (ON 12'), that have risen through the ranks of Australian Schoolboy Rugby to represent NSW and Australia respectively. Tevita also represented the Australian U20s in the recent World Cup whilst Vunipola has represented the Australian Schoolboy team for both 2013 and 2014.

In noticing this, it shows many things about selections and the uniqueness of these boys and there rise to the Australian Schoolboy jersey.

My discussion point from these two boys is that:

1. Are we looking to Islander boys as the "go-to" men when it comes to schoolboy rugby and not looking into the long term when they may decide to play in there respective country later on in there playing careers.

2. Is it a coincedence that in 2012 and 2014, both Tevita and Vuni are classed as the best in there position, for there age, in Australia? They had only been in Australia for merely 3 years and had risen to the peaks of Australian schoolboy rugby. Did they have close competition?

3. Is it conclusive that Tonga would be a powerhouse of Rugby if it had equal funding to Australian rugby? By the small talent coming from Tonga to Newington and then flourishing in NSW and Australian Schoolboy teams, surely it shows.

4. Should we be encouraging other schools to set up relationships and bonds with other schools in Tonga, Somoa and Fiji and giving boys from these nations an education and also gifted with an opportunity that will hopefully see them flourish academically or on the sports field?

Food for thought gents!

Please do not take anything I have said out of context and turn it into a distasteful argument. I want opinions, ideas and thoughts.

Inb4spellingandgrammar.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
3rd Round this weekend. Anyone want to predict the results and margins?
Joeys to upset View by 5
New by 20+
Scots by cricket score.

Riverview by 10 over Joeys
New by 30 over Kings
Scots to lap Shore

3rd XV
Joeys to beat TAS
Shore to beat Riverview
High to beat Newington
Grammar to beat Kings
Scots to beat the Bye

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Surprised havent heard your typical view boys (whosethatguy AKA) defending all this talk about scots title credentials ? School holidays still running are they?
Haven't seen Scots play, im sure they're a very well structured side, fair few big names in there, but lets just let the rugby do the talking for now. I'll get back to you in 3 weeks before the game. Bye for now xx

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Big weekend fixtures ahead, many thought this year at the start before we saw teams playing it'd be between Joeys, Scots, Riverview and Kings. Some teams have disappointed and some teams have exceeded expectations, i think this round will clarify even more who are the dominant teams and who is in title race contention (Riverview and Scots). Good luck to all players.

Tips
Game of the round - Joeys Vs Riverview --> Gents in blue and white to carve it up all day, with Joeys putting in a strong performance. View by 12+

Newington Vs Kings --> Kings to have their best game of the season and trump Newington. Kings by not many in a nail biter

Scots Vs Shore --> Scots to run wild all day, may not even make it our of first gear. Scots by 30+

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Tips for this weekend

Joeys vs. Riverview - Joeys win.

Kings vs. Newington - Newington win.

Scots vs. Shore - Scots to win.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
this weekend will be interesting .... the Joeys versus View fixture, in particular, will give a good read on View's title aspirations, and whether Joeys' patchy early season form can be reversed

looking beyond the 1st XV, I think Joeys rugby has been incredibly dominant this year ... with previously weak age groups starting the season well, and results being exceptional against "all and sundry"

In the past (IMHO) there have been a number of factors that saw Joeys very successful in the 1sts, and times have changed

Brother Boyd to me was a massive difference ... however there was the fact that Joeys managed to play a faster pace, they were fitter and faster

they played forward packs that were almost all openside flankers ... in terms of work rate ... and while they often gave away a size advantage, they were awesome ... the only way to beat them was to slow the game right down, and try and stifle their expansive game

plus you had the boarding house advantage ... with great camaraderie, and the fact that if you lost a good player, an equally capable substitute was at hand

anyway with the trophy cabinet looking bare over the last decade, I will be interested to see what this new coaching group has come up with

Nick Duffy, who has bounced from Stannies, to Kinross to Joeys, in the space of 4 years, credits the current Joeys coaching staff for his rise to Australian Schoolboys

well I think it is time to deliver so anything less than a close arm wrestle, will have me (for one) wondering why they don't bring back Boyd .... the old fox, best Aussie schoolboy coach ever ... IMHO.

either way looking forward to hopefully a good arm wrestle, and Joeys better come with a game plan, as this View team is as strong as Scots team

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Thoughts for the weekend;

New V Kings closer than what one might think. NEW by 15

Joeys V View, View by 30+, I think this is a special View team. It could be 40 - 50 perhaps.

Scots V SHORE. I think this game and result has the ability to cause much angst on this thread next week! If it's a cricket score, and by that i mean 60 + then imagine the noise on here next week. So I'm predicting 60 - 70+.

To counter the possibility of a blowout in the Scots game is it possible they may 'rest' a player or two to avoid the inquest?

rugbyfanatic91

Stan Wickham (3)
Today's Battle Of The Hill.
13A Cranbrook 19 Scots 10
14A Scots 80 Cranbrook 0
15A Scots 75 Cranbrook 0
16A Scots won score unconfirmed
2nd XV Scots 40 Cranbrook 0
1st XV Scots 52 Cranbrook 6
Should have been called Windy Hill.
Any help with the 16s score?

The final score in the 16as game was 36-21
The standouts from both teams would have to be 13 from Scots with some very damaging runs. He also had the ability to get an offload away.
Cranbrooks number 8 dominated the fixture with 3 very individual tries and some strong plays over the ball. Sorry i dont know any names.

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
First choice winger out for Grammar this weekend, and his replacement IMO would struggle to make the 6ths at most schools. One of the biggest gaps between the normal comp and Grammar, High, Armidale is the lack of depth, and I pray for this boys well-being kings don't spread the ball wide too often.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
First choice winger out for Grammar this weekend, and his replacement IMO would struggle to make the 6ths at most schools. One of the biggest gaps between the normal comp and Grammar, High, Armidale is the lack of depth, and I pray for this boys well-being kings don't spread the ball wide too often.

as of when?
Who do you consider the first choice winger?
Edit: you're a naughty boy. I thought tablets were banned in the hothouse.

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
as of when?
Who do you consider the first choice winger?
Edit: you're a naughty boy. I thought tablets were banned in the hothouse.

Wynn-Taylor out with an ankle complaint. Harrison is quick granted but needs to work hard on his positioning in defence if he doesn't want to be caught out at the higher level.
Tablets?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wynn-Taylor out with an ankle complaint. Harrison is quick granted but needs to work hard on his positioning in defence if he doesn't want to be caught out at the higher level.
Tablets?

I was surprised Harrison wasn't in the team to begin with so I don't think they lose much, if anything.
ipads etc

Cyclops

Stan Wickham (3)

Really surprised to see this naming and shaming. I'm just a passer-by in this thread.

I can only assume you've done quantitative research on the "most school's" 6ths wingers; who would keep him out of a spot. Well done on this level of research for what would, otherwise, have looked like a cheap shot.

Perhaps the kid could play in a party hat to highlight his situation.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Really surprised to see this naming and shaming. I'm just a passer-by in this thread.

I can only assume you've done quantitative research on the "most school's" 6ths wingers; who would keep him out of a spot. Well done on this level of research for what would, otherwise, have looked like a cheap shot.

Perhaps the kid could play in a party hat to highlight his situation.

I think its just some banter between school mates - a rev up, perhaps

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
any team lists for scots 1st and 2nd XV? I heard Rudolph and Sedgemen are both out? this true?
Neither of them played against Cranbrook last weekend. I would not be surprised that if they are still carrying injuries, they are rested to ensure all good to go against tougher opposition in rounds 4 and 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.