• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cracking game at Newington today. Open running rugby, great forward battle and plenty of tries scored. Newington scored in the first minute of play and it looked like long day for the Oaks boys. Oakhill hit back straigjt away followed a couple more and another try to Newington from a charge down. Half time Oakhill led 28 - 12. Great second half battle with Oakhill running away winners. Final score was 40 - 26.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Boohoo View. Maybe we should be saying well done to Stannies - always good to see an 'underdog' get up!
I agree well done to Stannies, fantastic result for them regardless of the side that View put out there. The result however probably more highlights a lack of genuine depth in Views ranks and possibly spells a long winter ahead for their 2nd XV, and some worries for their coaches if they lose a couple of key players.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Riverview were missing 8 or so players in their game today vs Stannies
So what.
View sent their best available team,and were not good enough.
That's how life works.
Or are you suggesting during the year,teams should postpone any games whenever the best possible teams aren't available.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
I like you're thinking, case closed!

Any prediction about GPS 1sts? I think Fifita, Fotukava, Hutchinson, Crichton, Woodhill, Freeman, Kane, Bowditch, and Porter will all be serious contenders.
Not sold on Bowditch yet, has a poor work rate. He could be a huge game breaker. Same with Fotukava. Fine to have big boys, but mobility and work rate is key. Props? any thoughts? any smokies?

Donotquestion

Stan Wickham (3)
So what.
View sent their best available team,and were not good enough.
That's how life works.
Or are you suggesting during the year,teams should postpone any games whenever the best possible teams aren't available.

Sorry was I implying that as an excuse? I was merely stating facts so readers have an idea of what the game was like. Stretching my words a bit saying teams should postpone.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Not sold on Bowditch yet, has a poor work rate. He could be a huge game breaker. Same with Fotukava. Fine to have big boys, but mobility and work rate is key. Props? any thoughts? any smokies?

Marcus Cutler from Joeys is definitely one to watch, weighs 117kg but has a huge work rate from a big boy. Tom Horton from Joeys is another one to watch, been playing all over the forward so far but I think he will settle at 3 and has rep football in him. Riverview captain Evan Prichard is a certain for GPS 1s on current form

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Can anybody advise when, where and at what time View are having their trial v Auggies?

I will be loath to miss Joeys v Oakhill if it's on at the same time, but I like watching Auggies play and hardly ever get the chance to see them, except at the end of the Waratahs Shield comp.

Whose That Guy

Herbert Moran (7)
Can anybody advise when, where and at what time View are having their trial v Auggies?

I will be loath to miss Joeys v Oakhill if it's on at the same time, but I like watching Auggies play and hardly ever get the chance to see them, except at the end of the Waratahs Shield comp.

I believe it will be played on May 17 at Rat Park in Warriewood/ Mona Vale at 3.15 i believe, (time could be wrong)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I wonder if they will play Norths v Rats colts 1 on the main as a curtain raiser,or play it at the normal time on the front oval?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Boohoo View. Maybe we should be saying well done to Stannies - always good to see an 'underdog' get up!

Yes, They have a very capable guy (and good bloke) in charge of rugby. Plenty of experience with NSW and Australian Schoolboys rugby (Asst Coach, Selector, etc)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
T
This GPS athletics season timing is a bad joke.
What is the reason for being the only school system to have it now????

I asked a mate of mine about this a couple of years ago. The thinking went something like this:

Athletics is a good preparation for rugby.

When athletics was held after the rugby season, the athletes who play rugby are often carrying injuries and can't perform at their best and can't train for athletics while they are involved in a team sport (rugby. On the other hand, all the not athlete rugby players can still play and train at the moment.

It seemed logical explanation at the time i.e. athletics is a good preparation for rugby, whereas rugby isn't such a great preparation for athletics.

Jerusalem

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree well done to Stannies, fantastic result for them regardless of the side that View put out there. The result however probably more highlights a lack of genuine depth in Views ranks and possibly spells a long winter ahead for their 2nd XV, and some worries for their coaches if they lose a couple of key players.
Seems like a big call for so early on in the season? The 2nd XV team looked a decent one on paper

Dr.AbsXI

Stan Wickham (3)
Seems like a big call for so early on in the season? The 2nd XV team looked a decent one on paper

You'd have to think that when the athletes come back it will be a vastly different team, in fact most schools may see changes in 1st/2nd XV squads due to a large amount of boys doing aths.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
You'd have to think that when the athletes come back it will be a vastly different team, in fact most schools may see changes in 1st/2nd XV squads due to a large amount of boys doing aths.
Riverview lost 1st,2nds,4ths and 6ths in Bathurst but won 3rds and 5ths. These are called trials for a reason and I believe there should be selection changes apart from the returning Athletes.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
On a different matter cananyone tell me where to look to find out the laws on No.8 picking the ball up from an uncontested scrum. There seems to be many urban myths and I would like to see something in writing?

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
St Gregory's 25-Grammar 19. A cold but enjoyable day at campbelltown on the Hill. Grammar missing about 5 players for aths/injuries, so not bad. Grammar came back from 25-7 , and were pressing hard for a win at the end. St Gregory's have some big and fast lads in the backs who could do some damage in the ISA.

H

harrysboy

On a different matter cananyone tell me where to look to find out the laws on No.8 picking the ball up from an uncontested scrum. There seems to be many urban myths and I would like to see something in writing?

You may need to check "local competition interpretation of the rules" and Under 19 law variations, but the definition of an "Uncontested scrum" in the 2013 IRB Laws is: "An uncontested scrum is the same as a normal scrum, except that the teams do not compete for the ball; the team throwing in the ball must win it, and neither team is allowed to push."

If you extend that to what can happen in the scrum, a No. 8 can detach from the scrum and pick up the ball.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
You may need to check "local competition interpretation of the rules" and Under 19 law variations, but the definition of an "Uncontested scrum" in the 2013 IRB Laws is: "An uncontested scrum is the same as a normal scrum, except that the teams do not compete for the ball; the team throwing in the ball must win it, and neither team is allowed to push."

If you extend that to what can happen in the scrum, a No. 8 can detach from the scrum and pick up the ball.

That is true
but are there any by laws in the GPS competition relating to this issue?
Is it age specific as in can the Opens do it but not Under 16s?

Status
Not open for further replies.