• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Newington Rugby model seems to be based around big physically intimidating centres, and I refer to their use of Roods, Vaingolo, Latinopoulu, Milne, and Moeroa in recent years.

Have we lost the art of, or are we in the process of losing the art of, developing silky smooth runners and ball distributing centres?

With the ARU appearing to pin all their junior development hopes on the AAGPS and Brissie GPS system, it is not a good sign that the schools appear to be focused on playing winning rugby at whatever cost, not necessarily developing players for long term careers as professional rugby athletes.

1. Some would argue that their rugby model is best discussed on the thread which dare not speak its name.;)

2. Many of us on this thread have been saying this for some time - it's only the ARU who don't get it. Schools are out to win 1st XV competitions this year or next year - not to win world cups/test matches in 5-10 years time.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Fellas, I won't bother you too much with my banter but as now an Old Boy and a coach for the year 7 fellas for Newington, I may have a few "pimples to pop".

I've been watching the Newington boys on the paddock over the past few weeks and there definitely is a change to the way they play. Like other years, Newington have relied on their big centres and brute forwards to get them over the line.

This year with the "Scholarship Drip" drying up, it seems Newington's approach is one of playing the underdog. With the big bopper's of the 2013 team left and gone, it has meant a great opportunity for the men of 2014 to shine and rise and represent Newington Rugby has it has been for nearly 5 years.

Not to forget, there is still ⅓ of last years team playing and all of them made representative honours. Should be interesting!

2014 pick - Too close to call……Riverview to win"

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Fellas, I won't bother you too much with my banter but as now an Old Boy and a coach for the year 7 fellas for Newington, I may have a few "pimples to pop".

I've been watching the Newington boys on the paddock over the past few weeks and there definitely is a change to the way they play. Like other years, Newington have relied on their big centres and brute forwards to get them over the line.

This year with the "Scholarship Drip" drying up, it seems Newington's approach is one of playing the underdog. With the big bopper's of the 2013 team left and gone, it has meant a great opportunity for the men of 2014 to shine and rise and represent Newington Rugby has it has been for nearly 5 years.

Not to forget, there is still ⅓ of last years team playing and all of them made representative honours. Should be interesting!

2014 pick - Too close to call……Riverview to win"

Welcome back and good to see you putting time in working with the 13s.:)

Ted S

Sydney Middleton (9)
I have seen a little bit of the New Opens this year and I agree with alot of what you have said GPSRow. The interesting thing is the effect the returning athletes will have. I think there are more than a couple with he "golden boy" tags that may be starting the first or seconds at the expense of better players.
I think their likely choice for #10 is a good one even though he is young. Some of the loose forwards that played in the firsts and seconds trials also impressed.

The only thing I will disagree is that I think Scots will win .. :)

On some previous comments, I too have heard that Tyrone may be contracted to the Roosters, if he played RU with Lam's son it would have been a long long long time ago.

Lets also not forget that a lot of kids coming through are not RU or RL kids but both.

Anyone that thinks Taane Milne is just an athlete hasn't seen him play much football.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have seen a little bit of the New Opens this year and I agree with alot of what you have said GPSRow. The interesting thing is the effect the returning athletes will have. I think there are more than a couple with he "golden boy" tags that may be starting the first or seconds at the expense of better players.
I think their likely choice for #10 is a good one even though he is young. Some of the loose forwards that played in the firsts and seconds trials also impressed.

The only thing I will disagree is that I think Scots will win .. :)
if he played RU with Lam's son it would have been a long long long time ago.

2 seasons?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Gents, we're all equal and should have the same voice of opinion about everything, accept for sir king Lee Grant, he is the god and no one shall ever challenge him

Mate, that is some serious sucking up—but I like it.

OK guys settle down and get along with each other.

Come on Round One.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
quiet thursday evening, if anyones not doing anything have a watch of this old video, nothing but class from Kurtley

I was at all those games. Say what you like about him as a senior player but he was the best schoolboy player I ever saw, and I've seen a few. Sometimes the whole game was like a highlights package: not tries all the time, of course.

It was a joy to go to all the Joeys games in those three years and sometimes I would sit with his proud granddad.

Lindommer was there too, running up the touchline with his flag, deceptively slow.

Ya gotta love schools footie; gotta.

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/schoolboy-rugby-a-modest-proposal/

Above was the most sensible proposal put on Schoolboy rugby. Like many sensible things, ignored. Had it been implemented;

- the weaker GPS Schools could be playing other firsts teams for the whole comp;
-the arms race schools could do what they want in their own comp with like minded schools from other Assocciations;
-much of the divisive debate arising out of scholarships etc would have been and would be reduced, thus ensuring a more collegiate GPS on the whole.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)

Above was the most sensible proposal put on Schoolboy rugby. Like many sensible things, ignored. Had it been implemented;

- the weaker GPS Schools could be playing other firsts teams for the whole comp;
-the arms race schools could do what they want in their own comp with like minded schools from other Assocciations;
-much of the divisive debate arising out of scholarships etc would have been and would be reduced, thus ensuring a more collegiate GPS on the whole.
What you're suggesting has plenty of merit, but it will never happen for many reasons. To begin with the GPS system is not just about rugby (although its the only sport i really follow at schools level). The school association sees all their sports as a part of the package. There is a very long history that they would be very unlikely to break, even if a few Head Masters have challenged the system recently. Also one of the biggest issues is around matching games across all grades. It is already a logistical challenge within the current school systems, let alone bringing in more schools that have strong 1st and 2nd XV but dont match all the way down. Yes schools like Knox have plenty of team depth, but they dont row for example so including them in place of say SBH being only for rugby?? doubt it. The best realistic solution may be for GPS to hold their ATHS a little ealrier, start the GPS comp more in line with the others ( still having 2 rounds) and then the top GPS/ CAS/ ISA etc 1st XV and 2nd XV teams could play a cup tournament, and the bottom ranked teams play a Plate?? Another hurdle there are the summer sports , rowing etc wanting their participants as soon as school rugby finishes. As you said, not in our life time...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was at all those games. Say what you like about him as a senior player but he was the best schoolboy player I ever saw, and I've seen a few. Sometimes the whole game was like a highlights package: not tries all the time, of course.

It was a joy to go to all the Joeys games in those three years and sometimes I would sit with his proud granddad.

Lindommer was there too, running up the touchline with his flag, deceptively slow.

Ya gotta love schools footie; gotta.

'tis better to be deceptively slow than slowly deceptive

S

spirit of cupertino

I like the article very much, however it seeks to make changes to protect just two schools that are selective. Is this what we should really be doing?
SGS is selective because it has, for now at least, its Charter and SHS is selective because it is a state school.
In a similar attempt to consolidate the future of rugby at the schools, did you know that Under 85kg rugby is the fastest growing sport in NZ and is being played throghout Sydney? These sort of innovations into GPS rugby could prove equally beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.