• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Nice write up of a thrilling game, just wanted to add there was an interesting section of play just before halftime when New should have gone to oranges ahead. They had a rolling maul charging towards the goal line, but the ball carrier "went over" 2metres too early and it looked like he mistook the shadow of the grandstand for the try line! [you'll be able to see it on my video, when it's done] And then when the ball was distributed into midfield Cameron Murray ran & had 3 tacklers hanging onto him as stretched for the try line with one hand, only to lose it centimetres from the turf. So close.
Agreed S'steppa. I was standing behind the Northern in-goal at the time, and the Joe Boys Dads I was standing with had their hearts in their mouths and their nut-bags in hand at that moment (Murray's lost forward). One of those "woulda, coulda, shoulda" moments...

Looking forward to your posting of another of your first-rate game vids.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Was anybody at the Kings v View game?

Our rostered writer didn't respond and his backup was ready to write but couldn't make it to the match at the last minute.

Could somebody please drop some information about the game or better still write a match report. Betterer stiller if two or three people can write some information or reports in this thread so that we don't miss stuff.

Thanks a lot everybody.

Edit OK - fixed

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oops bad mouse.

04112fe1f5254fa697e09166949bad13.jpg

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
I've come to really like this Joeys side in the past two weeks. Wennerbom's got to be a shoe in for #9 in the 2016 GPS 1st XV, he's been nothing short of fantastic this entire season, and I can't wait to see Naughty Horty play for Australia later this year. Perhaps losing Wright has been a blessing in disguise? They seem to look far less dependent on their superstar, and their backs are playing footy as freely as they want to.

Newington, on the other hand, were unlucky with injuries. I wasn't too sure about the decision to put Duvall at #13 to replace an absent Kennewell, Loga-Tarogi would've seemed the wiser option, given that he's experienced in that position and King would've struggled to contain his explosiveness.

Losing Kuenzle would've also hurt Newington's chances during the game, as irrespective of how talented your backup 10 is, commandeering a side you haven't played with all season is immensely difficult.

Bismarck

Herbert Moran (7)
I've come to really like this Joeys side in the past two weeks. Wennerbom's got to be a shoe in for #9 in the 2016 GPS 1st XV, he's been nothing short of fantastic this entire season, and I can't wait to see Naughty Horty play for Australia later this year. Perhaps losing Wright has been a blessing in disguise? They seem to look far less dependent on their superstar, and their backs are playing footy as freely as they want to.

Newington, on the other hand, were unlucky with injuries. I wasn't too sure about the decision to put Duvall at #13 to replace an absent Kennewell, Loga-Tarogi would've seemed the wiser option, given that he's experienced in that position and King would've struggled to contain his explosiveness.

Losing Kuenzle would've also hurt Newington's chances during the game, as irrespective of how talented your backup 10 is, commandeering a side you haven't played with all season is immensely difficult.

Agree with that. Wennerbom is in Yr 12 though young. Maybe pathways! Joeys backline played better without Wright. He is an attacking threat but his unpredictability is harder to play with.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Can someone tell me if the joeys referees open themselves up to be referee coached?

As I hear it is all very in house when it comes to joeys refereeing

And while must say I haven't seen too much bad refereeing at joeys . I do think the coaching is very important .

Obviously there are student refs. You will notice they wear NSWRU uniforms when they referee as they are trained (and have to pass the exams for) the refereeing qualification as anyone would have to.
When they start they are 'mentored' by a senior NSWRU ref who gets them up to speed and then signs them off.

At this stage, they aren't really Joeys refs anymore. They are on the books of the NSWRU and ref around Sydney as they are rostered to. (not GPS comp).

So, it is fair to say they are recruited thought the school but that is effectively where the school involvement ends.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
At this stage, they aren't really Joeys refs anymore. They are on the books of the NSWRU and ref around Sydney as they are rostered to. (not GPS comp).

So, it is fair to say they are recruited thought the school but that is effectively where the school involvement ends.

I'm not quite so sure about this part of it. Most of the GPS schools manage their own appointments for age groups rugby, so while in theory the boys and parents are part of one of the referee associations, they don't necessarily referee anything other than games at their own school. For quite a few of them it's their co-curricular sport and others play and referee as well.

I'd be fairly certain that Joeys refs who board would do very few, if any, games other that Joeys home games. (Ditto for boys at other schools)

This is no way implies any criticism of the schoolboys of any the schools who put their hand up to referee. We need more of them.

Johnny come lately

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am not speaking for all the refs at the college but what I say is accurate as I know one of them myself and have followed the process.
That said, I can't recall a game at SJC this season that didn't have a ref in NSWRU colours.

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree with that. Wennerbom is in Yr 12 though young. Maybe pathways! Joeys backline played better without Wright. He is an attacking threat but his unpredictability is harder to play with.

A great talent in tennis too. He was a part of the Combined GPS 1st Grade Tennis team this year.

Truly wonderful young lad.

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)

Cash, Newington must've been channeling you, man, because when they lost Kuenzle coming out of the tunnel (am just kidding there, all you New fans!!), Sepesa Loga-Tarogi was indeed slotted in to the OC role, right from the get-go.

The "replacement" fom what Insaw from the cheap seats, was actually a new FB, # 21, who I think may have been the kid who got hurt there in H2, needing Medi-cab assistance. (And off-topic, I do hope the news on that particular front is A-ok.)

Losing Kuenzle before kickoff meant Murray and Duvall in News' backline (#'s 12-13) moved inboard one position, with the #15 Sepesa coming forwards, with #21 slotting in as Custodian (albeit with plenty of cover from Simmonson #14 and Tyrone #11).

And I thought that Eddy King, Joeys' #13 handled the more experienced Sepesa pretty well. King had solid D" in the middle and was nothing like sime turnstile free-passage through that corridor for New. In attack, King worked out early enough that if he stopped crabbing across, he wouldn't present an exorcet-missile target to Sepesa. Once that was figured out, Joeys got go-forward, well, going forward. Go figure.

So, I agree with your overall helicopter assessment of the disruption to News' backline having an impact on the game; I have no doubt it did. But the detail about Kuenzle's replacement (in this case Cam Murray #12) couldn't fairly be described as being in the category of 'lacking any talent' or of being short of playing time with the team.

From what I saw yesterday, the Joeys forwards, once they got the big sniff, went all "Honey Badger" ("Up and into 'em!"), and that pressure, in comparatively heat-wave conditions, caused the previously Mercedes-like precision engineering across the New forwards and inside defenders, to become hesitant and sputtering...

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Cash, Newington must've been channeling you, man, because when they lost Kuenzle coming out of the tunnel (am just kidding there, all you New fans!!), Sepesa Loga-Tarogi was indeed slotted in to the OC role, right from the get-go.

The "replacement" fom what Insaw from the cheap seats, was actually a new FB, # 21, who I think may have been the kid who got hurt there in H2, needing Medi-cab assistance. (And off-topic, I do hope the news on that particular front is A-ok.)

Losing Kuenzle before kickoff meant Murray and Duvall in News' backline (#'s 12-13) moved inboard one position, with the #15 Sepesa coming forwards, with #21 slotting in as Custodian (albeit with plenty of cover from Simmonson #14 and Tyrone #11).

And I thought that Eddy King, Joeys' #13 handled the more experienced Sepesa pretty well. King had solid D" in the middle and was nothing like sime turnstile free-passage through that corridor for New. In attack, King worked out early enough that if he stopped crabbing across, he wouldn't present an exorcet-missile target to Sepesa. Once that was figured out, Joeys got go-forward, well, going forward. Go figure.

So, I agree with your overall helicopter assessment of the disruption to News' backline having an impact on the game; I have no doubt it did. But the detail about Kuenzle's replacement (in this case Cam Murray #12) couldn't fairly be described as being in the category of 'lacking any talent' or of being short of playing time with the team.

From what I saw yesterday, the Joeys forwards, once they got the big sniff, went all "Honey Badger" ("Up and into 'em!"), and that pressure, in comparatively heat-wave conditions, caused the previously Mercedes-like precision engineering across the New forwards and inside defenders, to become hesitant and sputtering.

I would have put Tyrone at 13 and Duvall at 11 [thinking of Duvall's try, created by TT, v Scots in r1]. I always assumed he was on the wing this year because Murray & Kennewell were best in class [&NSW&Australia]?

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Am with you in that 'Steppa.

yrone showed plenty yesterday when he did get the pill. Your shortened highlight reel captured some magnificent "don't argues" from TT. Am sure at #13, he would've asked the Joe Boys three quarters some serious questions, even if late in each half, TT may well have run out of the "Thomas the Tank Engine" juice. As previously flagged, it was a hot one. Even I was cooking up a storm, and not just 'cuz I was fanging it over near the BBQ!

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Am with you in that 'Steppa.

yrone showed plenty yesterday when he did get the pill. Your shortened highlight reel captured some magnificent "don't argues" from TT. Am sure at #13, he would've asked the Joe Boys three quarters some serious questions, even if late in each half, TT may well have run out of the "Thomas the Tank Engine" juice. As previously flagged, it was a hot one. Even I was cooking up a storm, and not just 'cuz I was fanging it over near the BBQ!
A good thing for Joeys that Tyrone was on the wing and that he tends not to venture in too often looking for work. If he'd doubled his touches yesterday New might have won.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm not quite so sure about this part of it. Most of the GPS schools manage their own appointments for age groups rugby, so while in theory the boys and parents are part of one of the referee associations, they don't necessarily referee anything other than games at their own school. For quite a few of them it's their co-curricular sport and others play and referee as well.

I'd be fairly certain that Joeys refs who board would do very few, if any, games other that Joeys home games. (Ditto for boys at other schools)

This is no way implies any criticism of the schoolboys of any the schools who put their hand up to referee. We need more of them.

Agree that there is always room for more referees
Interesting situation though...I watched a referee(not a student but a senior person) refereeing an opens game and not up to date with the current laws. I referee regularly and was from the other school. The ref was not bias but was making an obvious mistake. How do you inform him of the issue (which will help his refereeing ) without appearing to be bias?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Agree that there is always room for more referees
Interesting situation though.I watched a referee(not a student but a senior person) refereeing an opens game and not up to date with the current laws. I referee regularly and was from the other school. The ref was not bias but was making an obvious mistake. How do you inform him of the issue (which will help his refereeing ) without appearing to be bias?

I witnessed the same sort of thing.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
TIPPING TABLE

POWER TIPPING ROUNDS 9 & 10

20 Points on offer each round, anyone can win

Round 9 29 Aug 15
1st & 2nd XV – E v N, I v S, J v K
3rd XV – Round 8 – E v N, S v A, J v K, I v H, G Bye

Please give your tips in the order above, no commas or spaces all caps (makes Cut & Pasting easy)

So 1st XV Tips followed by 2nd XV then 3rsds

MY tips

ESJEIKEAJI

Gps tipping rd 8.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2015 AAGPS Draw and Results for 1st XV, 2nd XV, and 3rd XV games

Round 1 30 May 15
1st XV – K 21 def E 7, S 14 def by N 27, J 45 def I 12
2nd XV – K 27 def E 7, S 19 def by N 27, J 24 def I 0
3rd XV -Trial 2 – K 24 def E 10, S 24 def H 0, J 29 def I 10, N 7 def by A 35, G Bye
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Results-Round-1-20151.pdf

Round 2 13 Jun 15
1st XV – E 17 def by I 22, J 15 def by S 21, K 7 def by N 36
2nd XV – E 14 drew with I 14, J 14 def S 10, K 17 def N 5
3rd XV – Round 1 – E 5 def by I 7, N 5 def by S 24, K 15 def by G 33, A 47 def H 10, J Bye
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Results-Round-2-2015.pdf

Round 3 18 Jul 15
1st – E 15 def by S 43, N 26 def J 23, I 36 def K 26
2nd XV – E 14 drew with S 14, N 10 def J 5, I 14 def K 0
3rd XV – Round 2 – E 3 def A 0, I 14 def by S 24, G 0 def by J 38, N 28 def H 5, K Bye
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Results-Round-3-2015.pdf

Round 4 25 Jul 15
1st XV – N 43 def E 17, S 36 def I 26, K 12 def by J 47
2nd XV – N 18 def E 17, S 0 def by I 15, K 17 def by J 19
3rd XV – Round 3 – K 21 def by E 22, S 7 def by G 10, H def by J (no scores reported but believed to be H 0 def by J 61), A 26 def I 5, N Bye
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Results-Round-4-2015.pdf

Round 5 1 Aug 15
1st XV – J 39 def E 18, S 36 def K 12, I 36 def by N 45
2nd XV – J 26 def E 24, S 7 def by K 40, I 7 def by N 10
3rd XV – Round 4 – G 34 def E 25, J 38 def S 0, N 0 def by A 24, H 15 def K 7, I Bye
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/winter-sports/rugby/results-/

Round 6 8 Aug 15
1st XV – E 0 def by K 32, N 17 drew with S 17, I 23 def by J 33
2nd XV – E 10 def K 5, N 26 def S 5, I 27 def by J 34
3rd XV – Round 5 – S 52 def H 6, I 5 def by J 24, G 36 def N 0, A 24 def K 5, E Bye
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Results-Round-6-2015.pdf

Round 7 15 Aug 15
1st XV – I 43 def E 7, S 34 def J 29, N 55 def K 10
2nd XV – I 19 def by E 22, S 14 def by J 29, N 14 def by K 15
3rd XV – Round 6 – H 0 def by E 30, A 7 def by J 31, N 5 def by K 24, I 10 def by G 19, S Bye
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Results-Round-7-20151.pdf

Round 8 22 Aug 15
1st XV – S 64 def E 12, J 27 def N 12, K 33 def I 17
2nd XV – S 21 def by E 24, J 34 def N 10, K 17 def by I 21
3rd XV – Round 7 – S 17 def E 10, J 53 def N 3, K 15 def I 8, G 28 def A 10, H Bye
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Results-Round-8-2015.pdf

1st XV Table
S - 13 pts, N - 13 pts, J - 10 pts, I - 6 pts, K - 6 pts, E - 0 pts
2nd XV Table
J - 14 pts, N - 10 pts, K - 8 pts, E - 8 pts, I - 7 pts, S - 1 pt
3rd XV Table
J - 12 pts, G - 12 pts, A - 8 pts, S - 8 pts, E - 6 pts, K - 4 pts, I - 2 pts, N - 2 pts, H - 2 pts

To come
Round 9 29 Aug 15
1st & 2nd XV – E v N, I v S, J v K
3rd XV – Round 8 – E v N, S v A, J v K, I v H, G Bye

Round 10 5 Sep 15
1st & 2nd XV – E v J, K v S, N v I
3rd XV – Round 9 – E v J, K v S, N v I, G v H, A Bye

http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/winter-sports/rugby/upcoming-fixtures/

Status
Not open for further replies.