• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Was at the game and the 2nd half scoreline flattered GPS.

CAS was actually attacking (with the wind) most of the half and dominating possession with some very good forward movement. However the GPS defence in the last 10 was very good and most of the points came from intercepts and breakouts.

CAS bombed at least two tries and gave away two length of the field intercept tries to the very quick GPS #20 from Joeys with floating flat passes near the line.
Couple of other very easy tries breaking the line from I think #12, and some very good interaction between #2 and #7 down the left for two more.

Having read much on these pages about the Shore pie, I concur, great crust and very tasty filling.. albeit at $6.50 you'd hope so.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I always thought the difference in GPS / CAS would be the backs.
GPS were dominant in the tackle on defense slowing the CAS ball or turning it over, while in attack CAS had a hard time stopping the GPS ball carries. Give Wilkinson or Jaffer Williams space and they will punish.

Helu was the dominant front rower from both sides, mostly due to his great ball carries taking 2 cas players to bring him down.
From my red eyed view though the CAS 2nd row and back row dominated with Frost, Rasch, Basson and Kemeny getting a solid points decision over their GPS counterparts.
For the first time in memory CAS forwards were the same size as GPS.

But credit where credit is due, the GPS backs were to good. Perfect service by Haskins (9) to the inside backs and when Sheldon (subbed to injury) Orpen from Kings and the Joey's boys really put CAS to the sword.
Entertaining rugby.

Well done to the CAS 2nds. Clearly the better team. The 2 point margin flattered GPS there.

Jean Pierre Rives

Frank Row (1)
Well done to the CAS 2nds. Clearly the better team. The 2 point margin flattered GPS there.

Agreed that on the day they were. But the GPS side was very flat and looked tired.

Not sure what the problem was, but I've seen most of these players and not many of them played up to their normal level.

Credit to CAS though, they came out wanting to win - never got that feeling from the GPS boys.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I wasn't at the match (albeit trying to find an excuse to leave the office :rolleyes:)​
I look forward to Azzuri's report on the match. Either way it was a dramatic change in fortune.​
Whether CAS fatigue or GPS finding their mojo. Something dramatic changed​

Well plan A involved having a Grammar 5/8 who started the first try and set up the second before his season (perhaps career) ending injury.
This was despite the coaches instructing Wilkinson (captain and #12) not to let said Grammar 5/8 play at first receiver. This led to the farcical situation of having 2 first receivers - no one took the Grammar player into their confidence on this issue.
Needless to say those first 2 tries came when Wilkinson was not in at first receiver.
if you don't like the team you've been given by the selectors the manly thing to do is resign not play games with schoolboys and certainly not without telling them.
Very very poor form.
As events transpired even poorer rugby judgment.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Well plan A involved having a Grammar 5/8 who started the first try and set up the second before his season (perhaps career) ending injury.

Needless to say those first 2 tries came when Wilkinson was not in at first receiver.

This was very sad to see. Hopefully he gets his knee sorted and is back on the park next year. Class player from what I saw.

Rugby Addict

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree that Alec Sheldon looked the most dangerous player on the pitch until his terribly unfortunate injury. He is still very young and will be back.

GPS took control in the last 15 minutes due to CAS tiring terribly. That will happen when you train 5 or 6 times a week against opposition who train 2 or 3 times a week. Only Knox train at the level required to compete with GPS boys.

Coaches despicable.

Knowledge

Bob McCowan (2)
Agree that Helu played strong but I thought Jeavons-Fellows was terrific in attack and defence throughout the game. Across all three games he was my pick for the No 2 jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.