• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
I can only go by the trials @GOIII. There were four TKS U13 Rugby squads (A through D) and 6 Soccer squads that played on 19/3/16. I would hazard a guess that the number of Rugby squads may increase by one before the comp proper gets underway.

Thanks - here's hoping for more numbers across all schools

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
Do agree View will be one of the teams challenging as Terry and Pirina are quality and they have some decent forwards. Scott and Rorke in particular but whether they have enough quality in the scrum is the question. Joeys supporters should remember the current year 12 group have not dominated at this age level and the coaching group only bled a small number of year 11s last year in 1sts and 2nds. Lots of last years 16As in consideration the word is. New definite title chances. Tyrone will be a factor but Simmonson I expect to have a bigger impact overall and Knuenzle a quality #10 who could decide a few games with his boot alone making up a quality back line. Forwards also have a question mark as not sure they are as intimidating as previous years. McKay a strong and smart player and unlucky others were picked in front of him last year. Kings the improvers. 7 or 8 returning from last years 1sts. 6 of the forwards with 1st experience from last year should count. Pietsch definitely in line to be the standout forward of the season. Fairly strong across the backs. Orpen has competed well against the best of this age, Osborne (agree) shows huge potential but Anese at OC , having put on size another big improver after a pretty good year in seconds last season. Shore, agree will be a better side this year and will be hard to beat at home in particular. Same as others teams in some very good talent in the backs but only a few standout forwards. Scots teams not the same quality as last few years. Jeavon Fellows at #2 a very smart player who will make a contribution.

As for GPS 1sts. Brown (K) may have strong challenges for the #9 Scott from View is strong at BS flanker. Gregory from Shore was excellent on the wing last year and can play #9 and #15 as well.

Bismarck

Herbert Moran (7)
Re Joeys, coaches over the season had 11 Yr 11 boys in 1st and 2nds (2015). A few more in thirds (Crotti, Spooner, Patmore). Two were picked for NSW (Wilkinson and Barnes). This year's Yr 11 group has been strong for the last 4 years.

It will be good to see how all the teams coalesce (not only Joeys).

But agree with comments re Newington being strong and Kings.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
what has happened to the Shore v Trinity trial ... did someone double-book?

Who is SSC anyway?

Interesting re Grammar & Aloys .. Grammar rugby sadly seems to be in a spiral

won't be good if they drop to the bottom of the 3rds table with High

oh well give them the benefit of the doubt .. and Aloys haven't been too bad of late

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
what has happened to the Shore v Trinity trial . did someone double-book?

Who is SSC anyway?

oh well give them the benefit of the doubt .. and Aloys haven't been too bad of late

@SDW, I am told Shore are playing both St Stanislaus College (SSC Bathurst) and Trinity on Saturday. Apparently they are playing Stannies for 1 X half first and then playing Trinity for the second half. (Trinity will be fresh) I assume Stannies and Trinity also play each other for a half.

Game is at Northbridge

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Who is SSC anyway?

Not like you to believe everything you read SDW.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Who is SSC anyway?

Closer to home, how are your boys from Waverley going to fare at Stanmore on Saturday?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I heard on the weekend that TKS only has 3 x U13 rugby teams and 11 x U13 Soccer teams this year.

Say it isn't so Azzuri?

This would be the 3rd consecutive year that TKS have had more soccer teams in 13s than rugby teams.

I'm led to believe that there are equal number of boys playing each in the open teams, but 3 or 4 more soccer teams than rugby teams in the age groups.

From a fixture list that I saw 13s rugby goes down to Ds and 13s soccer to Gs.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
@SDW, I am told Shore are playing both St Stanislaus College (SSC Bathurst) and Trinity on Saturday. Apparently they are playing Stannies for 1 X half first and then playing Trinity for the second half. (Trinity will be fresh) I assume Stannies and Trinity also then play each other for a half to complete the fixture.

Game is at Northbridge

Yep, I heard exactly the same thing. You assume correctly. I wonder if we should be using "thirds" to describe each half?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This would be the 3rd consecutive year that TKS have had more soccer teams in 13s than rugby teams.

I'm led to believe that there are equal number of boys playing each in the open teams, but 3 or 4 more soccer teams than rugby teams in the age groups.

From a fixture list that I saw 13s rugby goes down to Ds and 13s soccer to Gs.
I wouldn't be saying "consecutive". Bitter experience tells me that this is the thin end of a continuous process.
As their demographic changes so goes the game played in heaven: unless the school's coerce or maintain their demographic, or do a Voldemort*, this is the future. The old boys need to get used to it.
*the thread whose name we dare not speak.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Not long to go until round 1. Have we got the tipping competition organised and ready to go?
@HJ, here to serve Sir.

Can do something along the lines of last year. But just wondering if the very talented Web developer folk at G&G could do something a bit more professional?

I would support 1st 2nd and 3rds comp, makes it harder and more interesting and then Jim Belshaw can play as well.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Anyone able to post all the fixtures this weekend? we know what shore is doing. What are the others up to?

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Anyone able to post all the fixtures this weekend? we know what shore is doing. What are the others up to?

There will be both home and away match ups across the grades between Riverview & Scots this Saturday. View is hosting the 1sts & 2nds.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Here you go from the AAGPS website

2-Apr

1sts, 2nds

Shore V Trinity
Scots V Riverview
Newington V Waverly
Joeys V Marist Canberra/St Pats/St Gregs

3rds
High V St Aloysius
rest same as above
except Grammar Internal :rolleyes:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I wouldn't be saying "consecutive". Bitter experience tells me that this is the thin end of a continuous process.
As their demographic changes so goes the game played in heaven: unless the school's coerce or maintain their demographic, or do a Voldemort*, this is the future. The old boys need to get used to it.
*the thread whose name we dare not speak.

I think that the "wedge" is now in well past the thin end. There's a significant demographic at the school now who come from backgrounds with no involvement with rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.