• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
^^^^^^
@F4L, I do love a "challenge" on a slow-as night for Free-to-Air TV, so I took a bit of a squizz (look) for you, and naturally, any and all interested others. :)

Here's what I've gleaned.

2016 1st XV - Leading Scorers*
*As per AAGPS Rugby Results website for Rounds 1-5, but 'corrected' here if, to my knowledge, it's been recorded incorrectly, which does happen occasionally.

"Leading" Try-scorers below, team by team and Overall, are those with multiple meat-pies. In brackets, I've noted the aggregate of the leading Try-scorers' tries against the Team's total number of tries, and I've also noted the number of different try-scorers for each team so far.

Leading kickers and their points, speak for themselves.

(I have a full team breakdown, Round by Round, which I can post separately if anyone is interested, but it is all up and available for trawling through on the AAGPS Rugby Results webpage.)

View
Leading Try-scorers (18 of 21): Rorke 6* (One Rnd 5 try is wrongly attributed to Scott; thanks @BW :)), Smeallie 5, Lenehan 3, Pirina 2, Terry 2
Total: 8 different try-scorers
Leading Kicker: Lenehan - 9 Goals, 3 Pens (27pts + 3 tries = 42pts)

Kings
Leading Try-scorers (11 of 14): Pietsch 4, Brown K 3* (Rnd 1 try taken as being K. Brown), Brown N 2, Osborne 2
Total: 7 different try-scorers
Leading Kicker: Brown K - 9 Goals, 12 Pens (54pts + 3* tries = 69pts*)

Scots
Leading Try-scorers (12 of 16): Yassim 3, Crawford 3, Gavin 2, O'Beirne 2, Pen.T 2
Total: 9 different try-scorers if you count the "Pen.T" multiple, otherwise 8 :)
Leading Kicker: Shannon - 9 Goals, 1 Pen (21pts)

New
Leading Try-scorers (15 of 22): Helu 4, Duvall 4, Turner 3, Lawson 2, Simmonson 2
Total: 12 different try-scorers!
Leading Kicker: Kuenzle - 7 Goals, 0 Pens (14pts)

Joeys
Leading Try-scorers (10 of 13): McTaggart 4, Reilly 3, Day 3
Total: 6 different try-scorers
Leading Kicker: Day - 9 Goals, 6 Pens (36pts + 3 tries = 51pts)

Shore
Leading Try-scorers (6 of 9): Joyce 2, Haskins 2, Suttor 2
Total: 6 different try-scorers
Leading Kicker: Sinclair - 6 Goals, 3 Pens (21pts)

Overall Leading Try-Scorers
6* - Rorke (I)
5 - Smeallie (I)
4 - Pietsch (K), Helu (N), Duvall (N), McTaggart (J)
3 - Lenehan (I), Brown, K* (K), Yassim (S), Crawford (S), Turner (N), Reilly (J), Day (J)

Overall Leading Point-Scorers
69pts* Brown, K (K)
51pts Day (J)
42pts Lenehan (I)

Other 'musings'
View have two outstanding players (Rorke and Smeallie) who've bagged more than 50% of their tries (11 of 21). Add in Flyhalf Lenehan's production, and that proportion goes up to 2/3rds.

Kings are lethal at keeping the scoreboard ticking over, having kicked double the number of Penalties (12) than the next nearest, Joeys (6).

Scots' piggies have earned the only two Penalty tries awarded this Season.

New have far and away the biggest spread of try-scorers (12 different contributors), so they can score meat from anywhere, almost from 1 through 15, though their conversions rate wasn't too good before getting No.1 kicker, Kuenzle #10, back on the paddock in Rnd 4.

Joeys and Shore have each relied on 6 try-scorers, with Shore's 'top 3' accounting for 2/3rds their Season's haul (the same % as joint-leader View), but the JoeBoys 'top 3' account for over 75% of their team's total tries so far!

So that's my bit for the long-weekend. Looking forward to reading Father Jim's splitting of the 3rd XV atoms so far. ;)

And really, let's face it. None of these stats at the 'turn will amount to anything much more than a small hill of beans in a few short weeks' time, starting this Saturday when some more cracking Rugby will come to be played at a No.1 Oval near you! :)

You have indeed "stolen my thunder"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Sorry @GG. Not the intent! I'm not one to mess with Thor and his ilk. ;)

It was though, a dreadfully slow evening on Monday, and I had the time and inclination to go take a look m'self.

Feel free to rip in, Round by Round @HJ-style? or wait until results of the penultimate Round on 6 August are in, including Kings v View (what a clash that'll be)!

I'll be interested to see what 'trends' emerge from here. Similar to the first half of the Season? or as @SDW is prognosticating, with wholesale changes to the current 'order' of things?

What say you @GG?

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
Sorry @GG. Not the intent! I'm not one to mess with Thor and his ilk. ;)

It was though, a dreadfully slow evening on Monday, and I had the time and inclination to go take a look m'self.

Feel free to rip in, Round by Round @HJ-style? or wait until results of the penultimate Round on 6 August are in, including Kings v View (what a clash that'll be)!

I'll be interested to see what 'trends' emerge from here. Similar to the first half of the Season? or as @SDW is prognosticating, with wholesale changes to the current 'order' of things?

What say you @GG?

Your comprehensive analysis is far more useful than my little excel, so I guess we should all be hoping for more slow days.
Do agree a resurgence by the boys at Stanmore could be shaping up.. However, I think Joeys will really step it up these last 5 games (hopefully not this weekend) - they've come close to beating every team, and I know for sure their coaching staff would've been working them off their chops in the past weeks. Also think Shore are due for a win, and if so, the scalp they claim will be a contender..

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
There's a notable match in the 3's Comp this weekend with the JoeBoys hosting Grammar, to see which of them will remain nipping away at the heels of the Ladder-leading TAS.

As the Joeys 1's and 2's are playing over at Iggies at the usual kick-off times, I assume the JoeBoys 3's will play at 10:00, or maybe just after breakfast? (;)), to ensure the whole of the Joeys' Boarding House will be at No.1 to "Walk On" the Cerise & Blue, and still leave puh-lenty of time to spare to make it across to Lane Cove later on.

The 3's ladder at their 'halfway' mark follows (and fingers crossed the landscape photo appears right way up!)

Very interesting For & Against reading so far, which'll make the Match @ HH on Saturday 'engaging' to say the least.

And for those who haven't seen Alec Sheldon "live", am shouting out to you @NIS ;), highly recommend you get along to see him. As well as Grammar's terror on the blindside, Josh Smith ('Smithy'). Worth the trip across, even with the "Super Storm" that's reported as brewing up of the coast for this weekend. (Might have to ask the Newington props' to tone down their rain-dances at training?!) ;)

image.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Might have to ask the Newington props' to tone down their rain-dances at training?! ;)

/quote]

More likely that they'll be hoping that the east coast low settles somewhere near North Parramatta about midnight Friday.

The Rev Willie O blessed the team before the season started. It's just taken a while for mother nature to get the message.;)

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Grammar won't win ....not a chance ... not at Hunters Hill ...not if Patmore is the type of player in the team ... and particularly not this deep into the season ... 2nd round ... 1 good player (Sheldon) ... maybe 2 good players ... they won't stand a chance ... not even in a year in which Joeys has been hit hard by injuries

Exhibit A ....State of Grammar Rugby

Results versus Cranbrook ... 15As 51-5, 14As 19-17, 13As 62-0

When Cranbrook is flogging you in rugby, you know you have a problem.

Sorry .... I am only being negative ... as I am hoping, against all hope for a new headmaster that brings back some balance at SGS.

Oh well, I hope I am wrong and SGS shows some courage and wins at HH

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Grammar won't win ..not a chance . not at Hunters Hill .not if Patmore is the type of player in the team . and particularly not this deep into the season . 2nd round . 1 good player (Sheldon) . maybe 2 good players . they won't stand a chance . not even in a year in which Joeys has been hit hard by injuries

Exhibit A ..State of Grammar Rugby

Results versus Cranbrook . 15As 51-5, 14As 19-17, 13As 62-0

Sorry .. I am only being negative . as I am hoping, against all hope for a new headmaster that brings back some balance at SGS.

Grammar may or may not win, but the Hunter's Hill fear factor doesn't carry anywhere near as much fear as it used to. They've lost a lot of close ones up there over the past 3 or 4 years and once upon a time they would have found a way to win.

Joeys were tactically poor in the wind and rain against New and similar conditions are forecast this weekend.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
More likely that they'll be hoping that the east coast low settles somewhere near North Parramatta about midnight Friday.

The Rev Willie O blessed the team before the season started. It's just taken a while for mother nature to get the message.;)

I have the eye of Newt, pig entrails and chicken lips bubbling away in the cauldron.

Easy to counter anything that the good Rev could conjure up and predicting that any Noah-esque support from the heavens will stay away till Sunday.....and anyhow if the Ol' Azzuri Black Magic doesn't work I have no doubt the Kings piggies are just as adept on a wet track as the Wyvern Bullocksl

old fella2

Frank Row (1)
Grammar won't win ..not a chance . not at Hunters Hill .not if Patmore is the type of player in the team . and particularly not this deep into the season . 2nd round . 1 good player (Sheldon) . maybe 2 good players . they won't stand a chance . not even in a year in which Joeys has been hit hard by injuries

Sorry .. I am only being negative . as I am hoping, against all hope for a new headmaster that brings back some balance at SGS.

My son played in the SGS firsts two years back. He is now playing rugby in Otago. He had a great time. This was particularly the case against Joeys, when his sledge "how does it feel to be beaten by Grammar" led to him getting a well deserved left hook. Neither he (or I) think that there is a need to "bring back some balance" at SGS. From your sentence structure, it seems clear you wouldn't have had much to do with SGS.

HFTH

Chris McKivat (8)
My son played in the SGS firsts two years back. He is now playing rugby in Otago. He had a great time. This was particularly the case against Joeys, when his sledge "how does it feel to be beaten by Grammar" led to him getting a well deserved left hook. Neither he (or I) think that there is a need to "bring back some balance" at SGS. From your sentence structure, it seems clear you wouldn't have had much to do with SGS.
Great sledge!!

Sportnut

Frank Row (1)
Thought I would start things off with a team I thought would reflect this years play for next year GPS Presidents XV A. Feel free to chop/change. Gordon and Norths star champions grand finalists back line now make up (I) back line. If we pick on form Follow the Gordon centers Fish and Easy. Found out Fish hurt in 1sts trials and is back for fist game this weekend in 16as. Easy already in 1sts; cream rises

1. Will McLennan (I)
2. Julian Heaven (J)
3. Angus Bell (N)
4. Liam Jansen (N)
5. Jordan Brown (K)
6. Ben Peper (K)
7. Nelson Roberts (J)
8. Witeriana Koopu (N)
9. Joe Dalton (J)
10. Angus Bell (I)
11. Matt Dutallis (I)
12. Cameron Fish (I)
13. Dominic Easy (I)
14. Lachlan Apps (K)
15. Vincent Creagh (J)

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Found out Fish hurt in 1sts trials and is back for fist game this weekend in 16as

Glad to see Cam Fish back on the paddock. Not a bad hit out first up. If you rate him for Pres XV, will be a good battle with Xavier Ryan from Joeys in the centers who is playing some outstanding Rugby and deserves to be in the mix.

Hopefully all other players will be back from injury for this match as presumably this will be their last chance to impress selectors before announcements (sunday?)

Kings V Newington should be worth watching as well.

Sportnut

Frank Row (1)
Thought I would start things off with a team I thought would reflect this years play for next year GPS Presidents XV A. Feel free to chop/change.

1. Will McLennan (I)
2. Julian Heaven (J)
3. Angus Bell (N)
4. Liam Jansen (N)
5. Jordan Brown (K)
6. Ben Peper (K)
7. Nelson Roberts (J)
8. Witeriana Koopu (N)
9. Joe Dalton (J)
10. Angus Bell (I)
11. Matt Dutallis (I)
12. Cameron Fish (I)
13. Dominic Easy (I)
14. Lachlan Apps (K)
15. Vincent Creagh (J)

Gordon U15 2015 State Champions center pairing Fish Amd Easy have the runs on the board. Fish U16 As Easy 1sts ( understand Fish injured trailing for 1sts/2nds), back in U16. Back up #6,7,8 played for North Harbour against Victoria

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Thought I would start things off with a team I thought would reflect this years play for next year GPS Presidents XV A. Feel free to chop/change.

RedBlue and Sportnut, might be worth head over to the U16 thread "NSW AAGPS - The new Generation - U16 Competition and Presidents XV Rep Team" thread.

You have lots to catch up on; why HM Players have a god given right to be selected and how Newington will be robbed if they dont get 8 players in the starting XV :p

sideline selector

Frank Row (1)
RedBlue said:

1. Will McLennan (I)
2. Julian Heaven (J)
3. Angus Bell (N)
4. Liam Jansen (N)
5. Jordan Brown (K)
6. Ben Peper (K)
7. Nelson Roberts (J)
8. Witeriana Koopu (N)
9. Joe Dalton (J)
10. Angus Bell (I)
11. Matt Dutallis (I)
12. Cameron Fish (I)
13. Dominic Easy (I)
14. Lachlan Apps (K)
15. Vincent Creagh (J)

Would think that 5 iggys boys is bias considering they are currently tied second last on the 16s ladder. Also no $cots boys included? Would think boys like Harris (backrow), Williams (lock), Zylstra(front row) and Baker (12 for seconds) would have a shot at making the Presidents team. All these boys are constantly mentioned in the 16's thread. Also Nelson Roberts is currently playing B's at Joeys and Joe Dalton is injured last that I heard. Dont know about Cam Fish would think Minogue (kings) who was preffered by Sydney selectors last year would also be in contention for #12.

runtheunders12345

Bob McCowan (2)

I know of many people who view of the other GPS schools as being "inbalanced," and that they focus too much on sport. Grammar has chosen to focus on other aspects of schoolboy life, and that has reaped the rewards in those areas (i.e. HSC results)

That being said, Grammar have a very good chance of pushing towards being premiers for the remainder of the season!

Remember GPS footy isnt everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.