• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomhouse

Bob McCowan (2)
It's not promoting his son, facts are facts.
Fact: Sheldon deserved his spot at 10 in GPS 1's, and it doesn't surprise me that he was thrown to the wayside by bigoted coaching staff who feel that going to a school regarded for academia somehow denies you the privilege of being able to play good football.
It's a shame he won't be able to push for higher selection, Wilkinson is a good player however and will step into that 10 spot nicely...

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Btw think you will find @IS was talking about AAGPS firsts rep in Rugby and Cricket rather than simply first XV and first XI for his school

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
saw Lee Grant stalking the sidelines with his note pad and trusty camera today. Looking forward to reading his summaries of today's hostilities

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
Btw think you will find @IS was talking about AAGPS firsts rep in Rugby and Cricket rather than simply first XV and first XI for cricket for his school

My bad I misread. Nevertheless, hasn't been the first one to do so in recent memory, however still very commendable but does not condone posting about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
It's not promoting his son, facts are facts.
Fact: Sheldon deserved his spot at 10 in GPS 1's, and it doesn't surprise me that he was thrown to the wayside by bigoted coaching staff who feel that going to a school regarded for academia somehow denies you the privilege of being able to play good football.
It's a shame he won't be able to push for higher selection, Wilkinson is a good player however and will step into that 10 spot nicely.

This is such BS - he was selected so get over it. Can't blame coaches for ACL.

BTW, Wilkinson moved to 10 for Joeys last year because of Tom Wright's ACL- remember the talented boy who was selected for Australian Barbarians but couldn't play due to ACL? Hopefully the curse of the 10 doesn't return.

I like Wilkinson at 12.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I didn't really take stats on what went on out there regarding the "who played 10, who played 12" debate, but it looked more like GPS 1's were often playing either the 10 on one side of the ruck and the 12 on the other side. Sheldon seemed to mostly distribute down the left with Wilkinson down the right hand side. Sheldon had a number of carries to the line, 4 or 5 maybe, and threw plenty of balls down the left side. I wouldn't think he was shifted out of the way at all. In fact the try he set up by breaking the line was down the right side.. He had plenty of touches and looked pretty sharp to be honest. Wilkinson did a great job also when he went into that role full time. Given how little 10's touch the ball on phase these days I thought he had a really strong involvement for the time he was out there. So for me, I doubt theres much substance to the conspiracy theory re the coaches over calling the sleectors. They are entitled to run whatever patterns they want, and not of it looked like it was excluding 10 at all.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I didn't really take stats on what went on out there regarding the "who played 10, who played 12" debate, but it looked more like GPS 1's were often playing either the 10 on one side of the ruck and the 12 on the other side. Sheldon seemed to mostly distribute down the left with Wilkinson down the right hand side. Sheldon had a number of carries to the line, 4 or 5 maybe, and threw plenty of balls down the left side. I wouldn't think he was shifted out of the way at all. In fact the try he set up by breaking the line was down the right side.. He had plenty of touches and looked pretty sharp to be honest. Wilkinson did a great job also when he went into that role full time. Given how little 10's touch the ball on phase these days I thought he had a really strong involvement for the time he was out there. So for me, I doubt theres much substance to the conspiracy theory re the coaches over calling the sleectors. They are entitled to run whatever patterns they want, and not of it looked like it was excluding 10 at all.

I am with you Brainstrust. I actually wasn't too sure what the whole debate was about. But I was taking photos and not paying too much attention to who was playing where.

Thought the try he set up (and unfortunately got injured) was really special.

I think CAS deserve some credit, they really played much better (in both grades) than I expected. They well deserved their lead.

What I couldn't understand when they were a converted try up and had a penalty in front why they didn't take the points.

It would have been only 5 minutes later they found themselves 7 points down and never recovered.

2 very quick intercepts/counter attacks from Yirribi the length of the field basically ended the game for CAS.

It was good to see GPS find some space in the second half and put some trys on.

I thought 6 was very good for CAS

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
Are you being serious? Tanty for not being picked in 1's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No no, he had to choose between following league or union. He had to decide now and decided to go with league because he didn't plan to get an atar and thought he'd better off develop if he went to league now and solely focus on sport

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)

try ^^

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Superb stepping by sheldon to set up the try. Massive talent.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Seen him play several times now and his great side step. Don't want to be too disparaging to SGS, but he rarely has anyone quick enough to stay with him for a short offload, so was great to see him play at this level. A few tatts and some work on his haircut and he could become a Sonny Bill Sheldon?

OAUI

Allen Oxlade (6)
My 2 bobs worth on GPS 1 V CAS 1 -

Sheldon was receiving most of the ball after the initial forward phases and was distributing well and probing the defence when he believed it was on and did have a big hand in the early tries. It could have been just the state of the game but when Orpen came on and Wilkinson shifted to #10 there was seamless change and both players took a more direct approach, maybe even targeting the #10 channel. Orpen IMO my opinion was a step above most in GPS II and to have had such an impact coming on must be / has been recognised. Agree with comments about CAS forwards in so far as their 4, 5 & 8 were superior. Like what I saw of Osborne combining with Jaffer Williams, who had the crowd going whenever he got the ball. Helu and J/ Fellows at #2 both having good games. I think very silly the debate so far in regards to Sheldon, Wilkinson and Orpen as all had top games but people who have relationships with players must recognise - there is no up side to making comments even if only in defence.

GPS 1 Coaches -
Mark Bell. (New) Former Wallaby, former QLD Reds high performance manager, (when they were going well), former U16 D, E or F Joeys player who made his way to Joeys first front row in Y12, has a consulting role (I believe) with Newington. Experienced. suitably qualified coach, who from my experience has well balanced views related to junior player development.
Considering like most years coaches have such a limited time to prepare teams, some of the comments that have been made are merely supporting unsubstantiated personal views. GPS 1 did win strongly ?

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Seen him play several times now and his great side step. Don't want to be too disparaging to SGS, but he rarely has anyone quick enough to stay with him for a short offload, so was great to see him play at this level. A few tatts and some work on his haircut and he could become a Sonny Bill Sheldon?
I heard he was injured for gps??

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Both games yesterday were entertaining and i don't think the scoreline in both the 1sts and 2nds reflects the games that were played.

In the 2nds I thought the GPS team were a little flattered by the final scoreline. GPS didn't turn up to play for the first 15 mins and CAS took their opportunities and deserved the win. It was really only late in the second half when GPS woke up and started to play, almost snatching an unlikely draw.

The CAS forwards were strong and probably got the points over GPS, while some of the GPS backs were definitely not at their best on the day (Orpen the exception). The CAS backs looked slick and took their chances - the quick 16yo winger certainly has some toe.

In the 1sts CAS were right in the game for about 50 mins but some mistakes and the class of Wilkinson and Jaffer-Williams took over late in the game and made the scoreline look a lot more lopsided than the game reflected.

As a selection trial - I thought the GPS front row got the points over their counterparts, but the locks battle went to CAS's Frost and Rasch. The back row battle was closer with a couple of players cancelling each other out, possibly CAS but "marginal" (pardon the pun).

The halfbacks were both good, while Wilkinson/Sheldon seemed to have the edge on their opponent. Orpen (GPS) when he came on and Armstrong (CAS) were the pick of the centres, with Mohi (CAS) and Jaffer-Williams (GPS) the pick of the wings. And was split between the two 15's performances.

Good luck to all the lads in their next games. I hope those that took injuries recover quickly.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
My 2 bobs worth on GPS 1 V CAS 1 -

GPS 1 Coaches -
Mark Bell. (New) Former Wallaby, former QLD Reds high performance manager, (when they were going well), former U16 D, E or F Joeys player who made his way to Joeys first front row in Y12, has a consulting role (I believe) with Newington. Experienced. suitably qualified coach, who from my experience has well balanced views related to junior player development.
Considering like most years coaches have such a limited time to prepare teams, some of the comments that have been made are merely supporting unsubstantiated personal views. GPS 1 did win strongly ?

I think if there was any debate about the coaches then maybe the 2nds tactics are the ones that should be questioned.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Could be in for the usual musical chairs following yesterdays casualties.
  • Sheldon (no further play this season)
  • Fenn (limped off with a leg/ knee injury)
  • Breen (Concussion)
Any others?

Status
Not open for further replies.