• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby U/16 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks - yeah I knew about the Presidents XV from years gone by but I thought things had changed going by some of the earlier posts and that there must be an official GPS team now.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
LG

The wheels of change rotate ever so slowly at the AAGPS.......
They still can't come to grips with boys having numbers on their backs below 3rds....which makes the poor old refs job a tad difficult from time to time !
Cheers
The Hound

S

Scotstothefore8

Yeah boys, latest news is that saturdays clash between CHS and GPS is being cancelled until further notice. Ground officials have confirmed that high levels of toxic carbons have been released in playing areas after the earthquake in Melbourne early yesterday morning. State officials have released a statement saying "rugby will be continued but players will have to wear gas marks while in game processing". Shocking to hear the news but after last weeks game many players have become under the influence of scrotum infections due to rising carbon levels. You heard it here first from scotstothefore8

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Everyone knows that View is the powerhouse and yes they could be unstoppable when they reach the 1st XV, but they could also end up like the Kings team of 2010 who dominated all the way through the age groups and then lost to Joeys and Newington in year 12. They are missing many players to opens, Jack Bowditch will most likely make opens when he comes back, and while he is a very big boy he was struggle big time in opens when he size doesnt count and his limited skill set comes into play. Foster has been focusing on his AFL career as far as i know and Jack Hayson was lucky to make the GPS trials to be honest. Johnnie Walker was actually enrolled at Joeys, decided to wait untill year 10 to move to Sydney and after making NSW 15s side had scholarships offered to him by Augstines, View, Scots and Newington. So yes Walker could of ended up a View but was heading to Joeys first.

Personally i thought the GPS 16s selections were a bit of a joke, with boys in Gold Squad getting favoured over boys who werent. McCutcheon missing out on 1s and being forced to play 12 in the 2s was outrageous and Kovacs starting over Matt Rodgers another joke. Jono Burke from Kings was also very unlucky not to make 1s.

My predictions for this year
1 Joeys
2 Kings
3 Shore
4 Scots
5 View
6 Newington

You're right, by the time this reaches Year 12 things will even out and we are in for a great comp. Riverview will lose Molloy but gain Hutchinson and McGregor from the age group below. Shore may struggle without the Clancys but should still be very competitive, Joeys lose quite a few great players but they'll have plenty of talent from the age group below to 'fill the gaps'. Kings dont lose many and should keep the same team all the way through while Scots lose Tabumata but again a very strong age group below will assist them. Newington will most likely find a few Tongans and also have a very strong age group below.

Random controls Green and Gold.

D

doondoonsley

You're right, they could go down the drain, but I believe they're probably the best age group Riverview's ever had, better than last year's 1st XV perhaps.
I'm not sure whether or not your comment about Bowditch having a limited skill set is all that fair. He's actually a great athlete, and his speed is surprisingly good. His only problem is aerobic fitness. His strength is also very impressive, even for a boy his size he delivers a pretty good pound for pound performance in the gym. I would put my money on him being a future star.
His skills are definitely up there, maybe at opens level he won't be the most skillful, but certainly for this age group he is skillful. Considering he has received coaching from coaches like Anthony Dempsey and Chris Donohoe since he was in Under 10's at Gordon, his scrummaging and set piece work is actually very good.
I have a feeling he will end up a 2nd row, and that's the position I think he is best suited to. He is going to be more like his brother when he is in 1st XV, that is to say he will get taller.
He's definitely a player of the future, skills (if he does lack them, as you say) can be taught, size and athleticism can't be.

Despite his AFL focus, Foster is still pretty good, I was surprised he didn't get a go in the 2nd at least, and Hayson is not a bad player, I mean he has to be alright to be in Gold Squad. I would have thought since he was in Gold Squad he would be a big contender for a go at the Under 16 GPS 1sts of 2nds teams. He only narrowly missed out on a Riverview opens spot.

As for Jonnie Walker, I was not aware of him being enrolled at Joeys, and I somewhat question the validity of that statement, but I'll let it slip for now. Riverview didn't offer him a scholarship - they don't do scholarships my friend, unlike Kings, Scots, Joeys, Newington, High, Grammar and Shore... seems as if they're the only ones that don't (I can lecture in detail the style of scholarships these schools give out, but I won't yet).
It was to my knowledge, and I have strong sources that can verify this, that Jonnie Walker, who is originally from the Hunter Valley, was told by a family friend (or some sort of relationship like that) that that particular family friend would pay for him to go to Riverview because that particular family friend viewed Riverview as the best rugby school. He was accepted in, but not long before he was about to begin something happened that meant he could no longer go to Riverview, and so he instead went to St. Augustine's. I mean let's be frank, if you had a choice between Riverview, Scots, Newington or St. Augustine's (if indeed, as you said, they were all offering you a scholarship) you wouldn't chose Augustine's, so the premise of you're claim seems a little bit far fetched and fabricated.

I agree with you that the selections were bad. No complaints there. I even agree that Kovacs shouldn't be in the 2nds side over the Joeys kid you identified, I completely agree.

As you said this age group will be strong at 1st XV level, but as I have identified, I think Riverview will come out on top. Molloy is unlikely to do pathways or any other program that sees him return for a second year, so he will be missed, but as you said Hutchinson and McGregor will be great additions. As well as this there is also the Gold Squad members Connor Hurley and Dan Rorke, Rorke who plays half back (a great replacement for Kovacs) and Hurley the GPS Under 15 Division champion (he is very fast) and a great winger.
Joeys will also have some amazing players to "fill the gaps" as you said. Connor Berkery, Tom Horton, and Lachie Simpson are an amazing front row, while players like Banjo Travis, Dylan Grant, Eddie King and Tom Leaver are all supreme players, so they too will be strong.
Shore don't have a great age group in the Under 15's so they may not have the players to fill in any gaps, although Steven Eaton is a complete man child sprinter who has great potential. Kings also have a weak age group in the Under 15's, so any gaps they may need filling might have to come from somewhere else (*cough* scholarships *cough*).

Doonsley out.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
As you can tell i am not a big fan of Bowditch, and most people seem to agree with me. He does have the size and speed to be a great player one day but personally think he'll struggle big time over the next two years. Maybe the big fella can prove me wrong but. I was told by 2 boys that Walker had said that too them at the NSW carnival in year 6 that he was set to go to Joeys. Doesnt really matter though and ISA gains a great player. There is a thread for scholarship talk but i believe View are as guilty as Joeys in the scholarship department. Youre obviously a Riverview and Gordon supporter (lucky you) but you make many valid points. But just so you know i run this forum.

RANDOM2

Bill McLean (32)
I am partial to the blue and the white, and the occasional home game at Chatswood oval yes.

Don't get me started on scholarship talk, I saw that forum and really couldn't be bothered reading through it, though I might just make a post without reading all the hundreds of posts on it.

Well as for you running this forum, we'll see for now, I'm the new kid on the blocks haha.
I shall apply my debating skills to my love for rugby and see how I do. I have a reputation among my peers at school as the guy who engages in long and unnecessary arguments online that seem to go for ever. They're called "Doons Rants". This forum better get prepared for them. My current record is 4 A4 pagers worth in one Facebook comment, I'll try and top that on this haha.

Doonsley out.

Obviously you have not been acquainted with the 'Deadly Delete' button of the 'Dreaded' LG! :) :) :)

Bill McLean (32)
Not quite sure what you mean by that.

If your self titled 'Doon Rants' do nothing more that take up space then you will quickly find that they will disappear.

As you note above, you have a propensity for engaging in long and unnecessary online arguments; please don't bring that here to this forum it will not be appreciated!

Compendious summations are the best!

Bill McLean (32)
I consider it somewhat contradictory that you make a point about using long and unnecessary explanations of things, then use the words "compendious summations"! The phrase "compendious summations" is a good oxymoron!

How on earth can the term 'compendious summations' be an oxymoron?

How can my advice to be 'thorough and succinct in summarising' what you wish to convey to others in this forum be self contradictory?

Oh BTW please excuse the last question mark, the last sentence is in fact a rhetorical question; heaven forbid you next accuse me of poor grammar!

Bill McLean (32)
Because the term "compendious summations" is an extremely elaborate and superfluous term for describing how to be "thorough and succinct"... ... ... ... ...

:cool: No it's ''Compendious'! The use of one word to convey a meaning instead of two! :cool:

BTW please put your 'L Plates' on when you take the English language out for a drive (note my clever use of a traffic metaphor) :) :) :)

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
... This is a load of crap, I don't need your kind and thoughtful introduction and instructions on how to play nice in an internet forum. Thanks for the offer, now please, let's return to Rugby.

Doodle rant - are you certain you're not related to crushed snake? If you persist with your (so far typical) laborious, long winded and heavily myopic tirades - I look forward to spotting more sequential anomalies in the post count as they are deleted.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Surely with your intimate knowledge of the Riverview 16's you should be able to work out which one of your allstars has played a game in the B's this year. I wont name him as I don't want to embarrass anyone, especially as you've decided to put these players into an unrealistic position as world beaters. Also one of the other guys is only in his second year of rugby so possibly not so surprising that he missed out on selection.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I wonder under what circumstances did he hurt his shoulder? Maybe you could inform the rest of the forum of the incident. He definitely, as you state, is a student who is 16 this year and has been training with the opens for the majority of the pre season. That said he was also sighted at 16s training a few weeks ago.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Wonder how are the View under 14s going? Got my godson's brother playing in that team, they have been unbeaten for fair while up to this season.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Horton, Simpson, Finnane, Wright, Streater-Mason and King are the realistic chances to make first XV in year 11. But this is the GPS 16s forum, not the 15s.

S

Sydneybra

Horton, Simpson, Finnane, Wright, Streater-Mason and King are the realistic chances to make first XV in year 11. But this is the GPS 16s forum, not the 15s.
Probably all of those named except King

Status
Not open for further replies.